• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And I hope they fix their mistakes of not incorporating Emerald's Battle Frontier into ORAS. Although the Gen IV Frontier was my less favorite of the two, a Battle Frontier is a Battle Frontier and something is better than nothing. So yeah, Pl/HGSS Frontier in DP remakes and I'd get it.

My opinion is the exact opposite. If the Frontier didn´t return for the Hoenn remakes, then it shouldn´t return in the Sinnoh remakes either. Yes, it is selfish to say this, and in reality, I really want the Gen IV Frontier to return, but it is a matter of principles for me. If Hoenn, which introduced the whole fucking concept of a Battle Frontier, didn´t get it in its remakes, then Sinnoh remakes shouldn´t either.

I am only accepting the absence of the BF from ORAS because I am taking Masuda´s words as true that the concept of a BF isn´t interesting nowadays and is not returning in future games either. If GF do put it in the Sinnoh remakes, I will be delighted as a fan, but at the same type I would be incredibly salty and disappointed with Masuda´s constant changes of opinion.

My opinion is the exact opposite. If the Frontier didn´t return for the Hoenn remakes, after Hoenn introduced the whole idea of a BF, then it shouldn´t return in the Sinnoh remakes either. Yes, it is selfish to say this, and in reality, I really want the Gen IV Frontier to return, but it is a matter of principles for me. If Hoenn, which introduced the whole fucking concept of a Battle Frontier, didn´t get it in its remakes, then Sinnoh remakes shouldn´t either.

I am only accepting the absence of the BF from ORAS because I am taking Masuda´s words as true (people don´t enjoy demanding features like the BF these days). If he does put it in Dthe Sinnoh remakes, I will be delighted, but at the same type I would be incredibly salty and disappointed with Masuda´s constant changes of opinion.

I still believe SM might have a Frontier, given the fact that Hawaii has eight islands, surely one of the far west small islands could host one? I still refuse to believe that "The Battle Frontier Project has started!" was put there JUST to make us mad. There HAS to be some significance so I'm really hoping we see the Hoenn Frontier built up in SM. Either way, customization is basically confirmed and Masuda said that was Kalos-only, so perhaps the outrage of people who wanted the BF will have changed his mind, the same the exclusion of customization in ORAS seemingly changed Masuda's mind about customization. The two have a lot in common, both being excluded from ORAS, despite seemingly popular demand. It isn't "out there" to think that if customization is making a return, that the Frontier can too.

I still believe SM might have a Frontier, given the fact that Hawaii has eight islands, surely one of the far west small islands could host one? I still refuse to believe that "The Battle Frontier Project has started!" was put there JUST to make us mad. There HAS to be some significance so I'm really hoping we see the Hoenn Frontier built up in SM. Either way, customization is basically confirmed and Masuda said that was Kalos-only, so perhaps the outrage of people who wanted the BF will have changed his mind, the same the exclusion of customization in ORAS seemingly changed Masuda's mind about customization. The two have a lot in common, both being excluded from ORAS, despite seemingly popular demand. It isn't "out there" to think that if customization is making a return, that the Frontier can too.
It´s different. SM could have a brand new, different, Battle Frontier and I would really enjoy that (although I still think it is unlikely). But Hoenn´s own BF shouldn´t appear in any non- Hoenn game, after being excluded from the Hoenn remakes. I would never forgive Masuda if he did that shitty move. And it makes no sense anyway.

I just want Game Freak and Masuda to stay consequent. If you excluded the BF from ITS HOMELAND REGION, you better exclude it from Sinnoh remakes too. It is common sense.

And customization is a whole different matter. You see, customization was supposedly excluded from ORAS for being a region- exclusive thing for Kalos. He never said customization was excluded from ORAS due to players not being interested in this type of features anymore, which is what he said about the BF. It is an entirely different reasoning he gave, so it´s like mixing apples and lemons.

Masuda can always change his mind about a region- exclusive feature becoming non- exclusive and making it a staple feature for the future. But he wouldn´t change his mind so easily about including tough postgame features, because it is a more complex decission altogether.

Last edited:
It´s different. SM could have a brand new, different, Battle Frontier and I would really enjoy that (although I still think it is unlikely). But Hoenn´s own BF shouldn´t appear in any non- Hoenn game, after being excluded from the Hoenn remakes. I would never forgive Masuda if he did that shitty move. And it makes no sense anyway.

I just want Game Freak and Masuda to stay consequent. If you excluded the BF from ITS HOMELAND REGION, you better exclude it from Sinnoh remakes too. It is common sense.

And customization is a whole different matter. You see, customization was supposedly excluded from ORAS for being a region- exclusive thing for Kalos. He never said customization was excluded from ORAS due to players not being interested in this type of features anymore, which is what he said about the BF. It is an entirely different reasoning he gave, so it´s like mixing apples and lemons.

Masuda can always change his mind about a region- exclusive feature becoming non- exclusive and making it a staple feature for the future. But he wouldn´t change his mind so easily about including tough postgame features, because it is a more complex decission altogether.

But if people's theories about being able to visit at least portions of other regions becomes true, what if the "portion" of Hoenn you can visit is in fact the completed Frontier? Makes sense to me. If "it all comes together" in Sun and Moon then I sure as hell want to see the Battle Frontier finally get finished.

But if people's theories about being able to visit at least portions of other regions becomes true, what if the "portion" of Hoenn you can visit is in fact the completed Frontier? Makes sense to me. If "it all comes together" in Sun and Moon then I sure as hell want to see the Battle Frontier finally get finished.
Firstly, this theory is absolutely fangame- like. It is probably wrong. We currently have no hint pointing at this, more like the opposite. I am telling you this, because I see you tend to take seriously a lot of the cool fan-made youtube speculations, and you are just setting yourself ofr disappointment. Let´s be more cautious with SM.

And second, as I said, they had their opportunity for the Battle Frontier with ORAS. They decided to exclude the Frontier, and according Masuda, it is their general view for the franchise, not something about ORAS exclusively.

Firstly, this theory is absolutely fangame- like. It is probably wrong. We currently have no hint pointing at this, more like the opposite. I am telling you this, because I see you tend to take seriously a lot of the cool fan-made youtube speculations, and you are just setting yourself ofr disappointment. Let´s be more cautious with SM.

And second, as I said, they had their opportunity for the Battle Frontier with ORAS. They decided to exclude the Frontier, and according Masuda, it is their general view for the franchise, not something about ORAS exclusively.

That particular theory had something to do with the SM announcement video saying something like "it all comes together now in a whole new adventure" or something. Everyone who theorizes on this kinda stuff took that as a hint to mean that the other regions will somehow be involved in the plot, even if it's just minor visits to the region. As far as a Frontier is concerned, Gamefreak isn't blind. I'm sure they saw the backlash from everyone, like us, on forums, social media, etc. about the exclusion of a Battle Frontier, it would be a good business move, if nothing else, to invest in the time to develop one properly, people who MIGHT not otherwise buy the new games, might get it if one of their favorite old features was reintroduced into it.

I'm not speaking for myself, I personally own every single game since RS and don't plan on slowing down for awhile, but for the theoretical person who maybe was let down by ORAS, might give SM a chance if they heard there was going to be a Frontier in them. It doesn't HAVE to be the Hoenn one, but my idea for the reasoning behind it being the Hoenn one would be a good option to take. I'm not gonna lie I'm desperate, I'll take any Frontier they can put together at this point. The variety of multiple facilities alone compared to the Maison is enough to get a lot of people to put more time into it.

That particular theory had something to do with the SM announcement video saying something like "it all comes together now in a whole new adventure" or something. Everyone who theorizes on this kinda stuff took that as a hint to mean that the other regions will somehow be involved in the plot, even if it's just minor visits to the region. As far as a Frontier is concerned, Gamefreak isn't blind. I'm sure they saw the backlash from everyone, like us, on forums, social media, etc. about the exclusion of a Battle Frontier, it would be a good business move, if nothing else, to invest in the time to develop one properly, people who MIGHT not otherwise buy the new games, might get it if one of their favorite old features was reintroduced into it.

I'm not speaking for myself, I personally own every single game since RS and don't plan on slowing down for awhile, but for the theoretical person who maybe was let down by ORAS, might give SM a chance if they heard there was going to be a Frontier in them. It doesn't HAVE to be the Hoenn one, but my idea for the reasoning behind it being the Hoenn one would be a good option to take. I'm not gonna lie I'm desperate, I'll take any Frontier they can put together at this point. The variety of multiple facilities alone compared to the Maison is enough to get a lot of people to put more time into it.

Firstly, this hint is clearly taken out of proportion. If anything, it would mean encountering certain NPCs from previous games, on holidays in Hawaii. Not visiting them in their own regions.

Second, from a game perspective, a return of the Battle Frontier would make the games even richer. But it is up to Game Freak wether it is needed or not. You say it is needed, because there was *supposedly* a significant fan backlash for the exclusion of the Battle Frontier. But this is simply not true. A few hundreds or a few thousands of salty nostalgic Emerald fans like me and you... is not a huge negative backlash. ORAS has currently sold around 11.5- 11.8 million copies. This is more or less what FRLG sold, and the 3DS has a smaller user- base than the GBA had. So ORAS was a big success in terms of sales. Meaning that the backlash you are talking about was no real backlash. Mening that they don´t need to reintroduce the BF to increase sales.

Also, reintroducing and developing the BF, would automatically mean less developement time for some other shiny feature like Soaring, for example. And they probably think that this type of features brings more extra buyers than the BF does. Otherwise, we would have had the BF.

I certainly hope they give us a brand new Frontier in the future (because, admittedly, the Hoenn and Sinnoh Frontiers wouldn´t be as fun as the first time, as they have lost their novelty already) but I wouldn´t expect that for SM.

Last edited:
My opinion is the exact opposite. If the Frontier didn´t return for the Hoenn remakes, then it shouldn´t return in the Sinnoh remakes either. Yes, it is selfish to say this, and in reality, I really want the Gen IV Frontier to return, but it is a matter of principles for me. If Hoenn, which introduced the whole fucking concept of a Battle Frontier, didn´t get it in its remakes, then Sinnoh remakes shouldn´t either.

I am only accepting the absence of the BF from ORAS because I am taking Masuda´s words as true that the concept of a BF isn´t interesting nowadays and is not returning in future games either. If GF do put it in the Sinnoh remakes, I will be delighted as a fan, but at the same type I would be incredibly salty and disappointed with Masuda´s constant changes of opinion.
What about the battle frontier being complete during sun and moon? Scott literally wears a hawiian shirt and sun and moon take place some years later afetr oras when the building has begun.

If nothing else I want a scott cameo

What about the battle frontier being complete during sun and moon? Scott literally wears a hawiian shirt and sun and moon take place some years later afetr oras when the building has begun.

If nothing else I want a scott cameo
I just amswered to this in the Battle Facility thread xD

While it does make sense, and the clothes he is wearing are very Hawaii fitting, I think Masuda's reasoning for excluding the BF is deeper than that, and it wasn't just a justification.

Last edited:
I just amswered to this in the Battle Facility thread xD

While it does make sense, and the clothes he is wearing are very Hawaii fitting, I think Masuda's reasoning for excluding the BF is deeper than that, and it wasn't just a justification.
Just saw xd

But they list it as being built reference scott and lucy and I think tucker too not sure, It should be back or they should atleast appear. Plus the battle frontier/ battle resort is an island it fits in with Alola. '

That was off topic, but since the remakes copy and paste the battle area it could carry over to the fourth gen remakes

Just saw xd

But they list it as being built reference scott and lucy and I think tucker too not sure, It should be back or they should atleast appear. Plus the battle frontier/ battle resort is an island it fits in with Alola. '

That was off topic, but since the remakes copy and paste the battle area it could carry over to the fourth gen remakes
I think the reference is just a nod to Emerald, and we are trying find a secret message xD

Also, I don't think Gen IV will get remakes this generation, tbh.

While I am not a competitive battler, I was really looking forward to the BF in ORAS, and I would love for one to be in SM, even though it's not that big a deal for me. If Masuda said, "We wanted to focus our resources elsewhere," or "We were under time constraints," that, in my eyes, would be acceptable as a reason for the BF not returning. However, Masuda once stating that it's not interesting anymore is not a good reason to exclude it from future versions. People can change their minds, right? And sure, there wasn't a huge amount of "backlash" but that doesn't mean the voices of thousands of people wouldn't be heard. Why did they make ORAS, again? Because the fans wanted it. So who's to say Masuda couldn't go, "We have seen that the fans do want the BF". I'm not saying that he will, just that a reason he had in the past should not have bearings on the future to the point where something is excluded in the name of tradition.

I would absolutely love for DPPt to be remade on 3DS, but for reasons others have stated such as the newness of ORAS and the typical amount of remakes per console, I agree that it probably won't happen.

The pearl harbor/diamond head thing might be subtle hints.

Yes I'm aware I'm the last person to see this.

I basically want to see the Distortion World recreated in glorious 3D. Hopefully G7DP don't take the ORAS route and become an almost carbon copy of the paired Sinnoh games prior to the credits. Make it post-game or something, just include it!

At this point, I think the new Gen VII graphics are TOO different in style and scale, to faithfully recreate Sinnoh or other past gen regions. Therefore, I think GF might go for a re- visit instead. This way, they would be free to reimagine the region, without having to be too faithful.

I mean, when you think of that, ORAS was already a big step away from faithful remakes, in my opinion. The game changed a lot from RSE, and kinda feels like 50% revisit, 50% remake of Hoenn. Like an interesting hybrid (I prefer this).

I can definitely see Sinnoh going that same road, and maybe even being a complete revisit.

Wether this would be a good thing or not, is a different question. Personally, i like novelty blended with classic nostalgia, so a hybrid game sounds the best imo. But it depends.

A remake has an unvaluable nostalgia value, that a revisit can´t offer. But a revisit allows them to more freely change whatever they want.

Last edited:
At this point, I think the new Gen VII graphics are TOO different in style and scale, to faithfully recreate Sinnoh or other past gen regions. Therefore, I think GF might go for a re- visit instead. This way, they would be free to reimagine the region, without having to be too faithful.

I mean, when you think of ot, ORAS was already a big step away from faithful remakes, in my opinion. The game changed a lot from RSE, and kinda feels like 50% revisit, 50% remake of Hoenn. Like an interesting hybrid, or something.

I can definitely see Sinnoh going that same road, and maybe even being a complete revisit.

Wether this would be a good thing or not, is a different question. Personally, i like novelty blended with classic nostalgia, so a hybrid game sounds the best imo. But it depends.

A remake has an unvaluable nostalgia value, that a revisit can´t offer. But a revisit allows them to more freely change whatever they want.

Like a sequel? I think they can get away with that now since they've figured out how to make older games work on VC, they can easily bundle the originals with the sequel so younger players who never got to experience the original story have it for reference. In Sinnoh's case specifically though, I can't really see much they can add to justify a sequel. There's not much room for expansion (and the region doesn't really need to get bigger anyway), not much they could do with a storyline continuation, and not much they could add period that they couldn't add to a remake (besides maybe throw in some extra Pokemon to the Sinnoh Dex). In fact if they did go that route I'd be more worried that they'd water it down (because casuals) and the region would lose its charm. Kanto and Johto would probably benefit more from that kind of experience, considering how much the series has advanced in terms of map design, content, Pokemon variety, and storyline (and even then, Game Freak seems to want to return to their level of simplicity anyway so they probably don't feel there's much that needs changing).

@Bolt the Cat You could be correct, but I think GameFreak would prefer to simplify some parts of the region anyway. Some puzzles, and such. Even if it was a direct remake.

I like the bundle idea though.

Hmm, probably not a good idea to include the normal Gen 7 titles in the names.

You can't tell me that it wouldn't have been a great idea to call ORAS "Xtra Ruby" and "Yes I Want More Sapphire".

Personally I am still partial to the names Eternal Diamond and Infinite Pearl. I like how they express similar but subtly different ideas. Eternal has a definite temporal connotation which ties in with Dialga, while Infinite is slightly more of a mathematical concept in line with spacial dimensions.

E: Oh yeah, I forgot the other half of why I liked those adjectives. They play a bit on the general conceptions of diamonds and pearls as well - "diamonds are forever" (they aren't actually, but that's the saying, and they do last for a really long time anyway), while pearls are generally pictured and presented as being perfectly round and smooth (although this is also not necessarily true; naturally round pearls are very rare), and obviously, a sphere goes on and on; infinite, in a certain sense.

Or if nothing else, maybe we could have Waffle Diamond and Pancake Pearl. The ultimate opposites! :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom