• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections. Applications are due by November 26th.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Paid Unova Shill
Reaction score
I always figured if they had "Reversion Formes" or something it would be from times before the earth or even the universe existed, and they would have incredible eldritch looking forms. Maybe something H.P. Lovecraft like, or something that somehow looks like it doesn't at all exist in the confines of reality. Maybe something that is implied to be the REAL versions of these basically gods that simply have avatars.
That's largely what I'd expect concept-wise. It's just the execution that I find puzzling (as with a lot of aspects of potential DP remakes). Maybe it could just be something like Battle Bond, where they don't necessarily need a held item in order to transform? But intuitively, one is much more inclined to tether their transformations to their Orbs somehow, given the past precedent, and because it is a quick and easy way of affixing a drawback to these inevitably overpowered forms.

Edit: You know, for Arceus, I supposed they could just introduce a new "Divine Plate" or something that initiates its form change/Mega Evolution/Primal Reversion/Hyper Transcendence/whatever. Because for Arceus, that can be like the "one and true Plate, the purest among many" or some such. But it'd be odd to introduce new, superior "counterparts" to the Adamant, Lustrous, and Griseous Orbs... although on the other hand, Soul Dew vs. Latiasite/Latiosite.

Last edited:
Post By The Mad Man
Reaction score
I personally don't think there will be a Generation IV remake this generation, noting that you can play the original Generation IV DS games on the 3DS, but I think it will happen in Generation VIII, which is most likely going to be on the Nintendo Switch (I just mentioned in another thread that it is unlikely that you will be able to play 3DS (or even DS) games on the Nintendo Switch.

Simpler times ahead
Reaction score
I mean, I have to assume that they'd get something. It'd just be kinda boring to throw slightly-modified artwork of Dialga and Palkia up on the covers, no? (Yes, I know it worked fine for HGSS, but those games never had to worry about making boatloads of sales; of course the GSC remakes with two regions and Walking Pokémon were going to sell.) But it gets tricky when you try to factor in Giratina and Arceus, since they both already have held item-induced forms. Although I suppose they could pull a Rayquaza and just have them Mega Evolve or Primal Revert without holding an item.

But Primal Reversion specifically? Well, it would seem to make sense, wouldn't it? I mean, they already have their own signature Orbs, ready and waiting, and as I mentioned before, these ones don't even need to be changed from key items to held items; they're already held items. And like, it's "Primal Reversion," so of course you have the two primordial creator Pokémon revert to their true forms, the forms they took in the early days of the world.

However... Primal Reversion was very explicitly said to draw power from the natural energy of the planet. Which makes a lot of sense for Groudon and Kyogre, given that they're connected to forces of nature in the world, on Earth. But Dialga and Palkia represent concepts that are of a universal scale. In fact, if the legends are to be believed, they actually pre-date Earth and all its natural energy, so surely, they must draw power from some other source in order to achieve a different transformation?

Honestly, I wouldn't be opposed to just giving them "Origin Formes" like Giratina's and just buffing them. But that doesn't seem flashy enough for what GF's been going for lately. And I'll admit, that whatever I may think of Dialga and Palkia in terms of their alleged divinity, I do feel that the Pokémon of Time and Space warrant a certain high level of optics simply by virtue of being connected to such vast and fundamental quantities.
I think something like Origin Formes, but on the same level as Primal Reversions would be the likely outcome of DP Remakes. I dunno if Origin Reversion is the right thing to call it, or Dimensional Transcendence because they transcend the borders of their dimension and ours, or whatever, but that is a complicated name. But yeah, I can also see this being the same as the relationship between Groundon/Kyogre and Rayquaza, with something akin to mega evolution drawing on the power of the temporal/spacial plane that they exist on, but Giratina keeping its Origin Forme, as the Distorion World exists in its own set of rules of nature, and likely is just the negative force of our world, something that Infinity Energy cannot exist in. This is also evident in how the Origin Forme works, as in because of its similarities to our own world, we can enter and bring back something from the Distortion World, were as Dialga and Palkia's domains are too high a concept and different from ours to be comprehended as a physical place, and the Origin Reversions(for simplicity's sake) would not be their true appearance, but a halfway point giving us only hints to their true, likely Eldritch appearances.

So I was thinking about how remakes could work in the world of gen 7 and what its features are and how the gameplay is setup.
-Trials take a break, and gyms return. However, I can see the gym quest being retooled along with the league as some sort of deciding factor for climbing Mount Coronet, or even acting as gates for access to the Lake Trio. The way I see it, they retool the story to give even more prominence to the Trio. Although the dynamic will still be there with the Trainer being in tune with the Lake Verity Guardian, the professor assistant to the Lake Acuity guardian and Barry to the one in your hometown, perhaps they can remix the gym order to structure the game into 3 acts that tie into each lake. This also takes into account Pokeride, which abolishes the HM restrictions on how the region is explored, and allows for a somewhat more linear, yet still Sinnoesque take on the region.
For example, the new gym order could be split into 3 distinct chunks: Hometown lake is tied into Oreburgh Gym, Eterna Gym, and Canalave gym. This would be the climax of the first act, learning about the lore in Canalave much earlier then before, getting a hint towards were this new story is heading. The second act would involve Snowpoint City as the peak, acting as the 6th gym instead of the 7th, getting closer to the legends by exploring the eastern half of the region, and finally going North to Snowpoint, with new ties between the Sinnoh Lore and Snowpoint Ruins. The 3rd act would involve Sunnyshore Gym and Veilstone gym, with you now travelling to Sunnyshore to learn about Cyrus and his past, and finally Veilstone to confront Cyrus and Team Galactic. The way this is structured is that by the time you can finally reach the 3rd lake, the story now climaxes with a steady stream of events, starting with the bombing of Lake Verity, and continuing from there on out how it did in the original games. It seems like a big change, but I can see Gamefreak streamlining the story in such a way which paces you to explore Sinnoh in the same cluster style exploration that Alola will deliver, while still keeping the same story beats along the way, just in a totally new sequence. Challenging the league also becomes a privilege and right more so then before, as since you now have all 8 badges before the story climax, despite having to recognize you as a challenger, the story might further push Cynthia to want to challenge you.
-Pokeride. Like I said, this would really shake things up. Sinnoh's one of the HM Heavy regions, and the most controversial. With Pokeride however, it could become something amazing. Maybe some new areas could be added to further the concept, or some route designs could be shaken up to accommodate it, but I definitely think without HM's, like I said above how and when you explore Sinnoh will change. Later areas show up earlier, earlier areas come along a little further in the story, and in general the backtracking can be done in a very elegant way as compared to say, having psyducks block you from traversing a very foggy route.
-Wifi Plaza returns as a parallel to Alola's new Wifi Hub.
-The Rotom Dex isn't in game, but it has a proto form thing going on, with Rotom instead possessing the Poketch to make it better then ever, combining both the Pokedex and the Pokemon Tool into one great feature. This also has story ties, which makes the Poketch Company have ties to the professor, for whatever reason.
-The Battle Zone has no frontier, but they do bring back the Frontier Brains unlike ORAS. Mostly because they do have the most ties then the Hoenn group to the region, and even the franchise, with Caitlin and Palmer definitely requiring appearances. I do think they will do something special there however, with the 3 areas having some sort of special facility. I think the Battle Area will see stuff like the Battle Institute, Battle Royale, and the Tower equivalent with Palmer and the other brains acting as the Bosses, the Survival Area the PWT as an upgrade to the Battleground, and finally perhaps an Elite Tier Contest Hall which can only be accessed by completing the Master Rank of Sinnoh's contests in all 5 categories.

Paid Unova Shill
Reaction score
Shoot, for some reason I didn't even realize until reading your post that the Lake trio are basically a Sinnovian version of Alola's island guardians. DP really are begging to be SM's generational partners.

But I like your thoughts. It's the kind of radical change that I'd like to see in DP remakes, but it's also the kind of radical change that I imagine they're reluctant to commit to. Then again, we'll be in a post-SM world by that time... maybe philosophies can change.

This also has story ties, which makes the Poketch Company have ties to the professor, for whatever reason.
This is an easy one, just say they're collaborating in order to make an ultra-convenient feature for Trainers.

-The Battle Zone has no frontier, but they do bring back the Frontier Brains unlike ORAS. Mostly because they do have the most ties then the Hoenn group to the region, and even the franchise, with Caitlin and Palmer definitely requiring appearances. I do think they will do something special there however, with the 3 areas having some sort of special facility. I think the Battle Area will see stuff like the Battle Institute, Battle Royale, and the Tower equivalent with Palmer and the other brains acting as the Bosses, the Survival Area the PWT as an upgrade to the Battleground, and finally perhaps an Elite Tier Contest Hall which can only be accessed by completing the Master Rank of Sinnoh's contests in all 5 categories.
Oh, I love the idea of converting the Battleground into a PWT. Either way, yeah, Palmer and Caitlin have to be there.

I think the Battle Royal would fit in pretty seamlessly in the Battle Zone. It's very clearly a feature that's meant to encourage battling via a group gathering, as opposed to 1-on-1. Which calls to mind a segment of an interview from G4, from way way back with Masuda and Kawachimaru, about why the Battle Frontier was included in Platinum:

> Kawachimaru: The kind of battling you do in Battle Frontier is very different from the battling you do throughout the game's storyline. There are different rules. You'll want to use different strategies. You'll want to raise Pokemon differently. You'll need extensive knowledge of Pokemon and their moves to confront the trainers in Battle Frontier. When you play the storyline, you pretty much play alone and complete the game. In Battle Frontier, you work with friends, siblings, parents, or children. You can play together. We wanted to create an opportunity for communication, so that families and friends can talk about the different strategies they can employ.

Specifically that last sentence. Tell me that doesn't scream, "Battle Royal!"

--

Actually, I've spent this morning by tinkering with another idea for how they could go about new Sinnoh games. As has been noted, we can still play the originals on the 3DS. Now, I don't think that's necessarily all that important, but they could lean into it in a meta way, and do so in a way that shakes up the pattern so that it's not just straightforward, cookie-cutter DP remakes - they could do Sinnoh sequels, and I think they could be done in a way that works in ideas from SM while still being faithful to Sinnoh, but also uses this approach to create organic changes.

At the climax of Platinum, Cyrus vows to remain in the Distortion World until he can uncover its secrets and create his ideal world, which could be treated as a big sequel hook, if they want it to be. So let's have these sequels set ten or so years later, and in the intervening time, distortions have begun to appear all over the Sinnoh region. This has caused an influx of Pokémon that have fallen into Sinnoh from all over space and time (this reinvigorates the regional Dex). There are eight key distortions around the region. The Gym challenge is now intertwined with this plot, and before you can challenge a Gym, you must now assist the Gym Leader in dealing with the distortion in their area. This leads to what is functionally a Totem battle, but reskinned as "Interdimensional" or something to that effect.

The villain plot has changed too. The appearance of these distortions has instigated the rise of two new orgnaizations - Team Nebula and Team Nova (bear with the placeholder names). Team Nebula's goal is to use Dialga's power in order to reverse time to a point before the distortions started to appear, while Team Nova's goal is to use Palkia's power in order to expand the spacial dimensions of the world so as to accommodate the new Pokémon that have poured in through the distortions. I think that having two teams this time could be a way to shake-up the pacing and to provide a different experience from DP, which again, are still playable on the 3DS. Although I think it'd largely work out like ORAS, where the Team that focuses on the opposite version's mascot certainly has a role in the plot, but mostly takes the backseat to "your" game's villains.

The climax of the games would see you ascend Mt. Coronet as usual, with Team Nebula/Nova summoning their respective deity (and, since we focus on only one mascot, we have none of that "and this other Red Chain that I replicated with technological means" malarkey!). This creates a cataclysm like the one that we saw in DP, which you, of course, put a stop to. But defeating/capturing the mascot isn't the end of it. Their rampage opened up the portal to the Distortion World at the summit. You enter the portal and traverse the Distortion World, until you finally come upon... Cyrus. Or rather, a being that resembles Cyrus... it is revealed that while studying the Distortion World, he made a breakthrough of some kind, but it wasn't what he intended. It warped him into an Ultra Beast-like form, which was intrinsically linked to that dimension, preventing his escape. The distortions that have appeared around Sinnoh were caused by him "pounding against the walls" of the dimensions, in a sense, and trying to find a way out. However, he could now exit through the portal at Mt. Coronet if it remains open (because as we saw in Platinum, this causes the Distortion World to unbalance the material world), so you have to stop him. What happens after you beat him? Does he return to human form? Does he flee somehow? Who knows. Either way, wrapping all of this up closes the distortions around Sinnoh and returns things to normal. A post-game storyline can focus on returning to the Distortion World via the Sendoff Spring in order to deal with Giratina, and perhaps Arceus.

Last edited:
Only 79 new Pokemon?
Reaction score
Putting DP remakes on the switch seems likely.

Since they already have a map and story made it makes for an easy way to transition onwards.

Destroyer of Fairy, Steel and Ice types.
Reaction score
I have a good feeling that DP remakes would be amazing if they get announced at some point.

Pokemon Collector
Reaction score
Cynthia in 3D! Gen 4 remakes Confirmed!

It just seems like such an odd choice. if they'd put in Wally and STEVEN, then, yeah, just reusing the most recently remodeled characters.

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
Cynthia in 3D! Gen 4 remakes Confirmed!

It just seems like such an odd choice. if they'd put in Wally and STEVEN, then, yeah, just reusing the most recently remodeled characters.
They also put Red and Blue in the games, and it's highly doubtful they're doing both Kanto remakes AND Sinnoh remakes. It's just a handful of key characters from the series, it doesn't mean much. Hell, so far we've seen more characters in the PWT than the Battle Tree.

Pokemon Collector
Reaction score
They also put Red and Blue in the games, and it's highly doubtful they're doing both Kanto remakes AND Sinnoh remakes.
Nah, Red and Blue are just in there to tie in with the rest of the Gen 1 Anniversary stuff (Alolan formes exclusively for Gen 1 'mons, Alolan Prof. Oak) Plus they've only just re-released the Gen 1 games.

No, my guess is Sun and Moon. Then remake Diamond and Pearl. Then Re-release Gold and Silver on Virtual console.

Maybe sort of alive
Reaction score
Nah, Red and Blue are just in there to tie in with the rest of the Gen 1 Anniversary stuff (Alolan formes exclusively for Gen 1 'mons, Alolan Prof. Oak) Plus they've only just re-released the Gen 1 games.
Speaking of which, I was wondering if the original games are the reason why it's only Red and not (additionally) Leaf.

[LIMITER] [DISC] [SAVE] [SYSTEM ERROR]
Reaction score
I was wondering if the original games are the reason why it's only Red and not (additionally) Leaf.
I think that's actually a remnant of Generation II, where Red is the very final challenge of the game.

On the topic itself, Cynthia's model in SuMo does not itself confirm remakes - I'd imagine they'd redesign all the core trainers and trainer classes just like they did all other remakes, and that includes redesigning the Sinnoh champion herself. They've already done so with Blue, Lance and Steven, so this should be no exception.

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
On the topic itself, Cynthia's model in SuMo does not itself confirm remakes - I'd imagine they'd redesign all the core trainers and trainer classes just like they did all other remakes, and that includes redesigning the Sinnoh champion herself. They've already done so with Blue, Lance and Steven, so this should be no exception.
That's a good point, all of the characters tend to get redesigns in remakes, so the reuse of character models doesn't really prove anything. All it says is that Cynthia is a popular character, which is something we already knew.

Reaction score
Cynthia in 3D without any cosmetic changes is more proofing that they don't work on a Sinnoh remake right now or at least not releasing it in this gen. Like the same for the PWT Hoenn leaders.

The generell thing that they've done a facility where you can meet older characters proofs more like SM are indeed the only games in this gen. But just my opinion about that.

Last edited:
Paid Unova Shill
Reaction score
Cynthia in 3D without any cosmetic changes is more proofing that they don't work on a Sinnoh remake right now or at least not releasing it in this gen. The same for the PWT Hoenn leaders.

The generell thing that they've done a facility where you can meet older characters proofs more like SM are indeed the only games in this gen. But just my opinion about that.
I don't think that SM will be the only Gen VII games, but I will admit that Cynthia being included in the Battle Tree pushes me more toward the feeling that DP remakes aren't what're next.

Simpler times ahead
Reaction score
I don't think that SM will be the only Gen VII games, but I will admit that Cynthia being included in the Battle Tree pushes me more toward the feeling that DP remakes aren't what're next.
Admittedly despite how much I want em, you are certainly right. I posted this in the Kanto Sequel thread, but I think Red and Green are more so a sign of what's to come then anything else.

Reaction score
Admittedly despite how much I want em, you are certainly right. I posted this in the Kanto Sequel thread, but I think Red and Green are more so a sign of what's to come then anything else.
A Kanto remake? That would be the icing on the cake for the whole gen 1 pandering. I think they will save it for the 25th anniversary.

Personally, I hope they won't do standalone Kanto remakes ever again and even sequels combined with Johto would be quite uninspired.

But either way the Red and Green appearance are in the games because of the 20th anniversary.

Simpler times ahead
Reaction score
A Kanto remake? That would be the icing on the cake for the whole gen 1 pandering. I think they will save it for the 25th anniversary.

Personally, I hope they won't do standalone Kanto remakes ever again and even sequels combined with Johto would be quite uninspired.

But either way the Red and Green appearance are in the games because of the 20th anniversary.
Kanto Sequels, not remakes. Anniversary or not, you don't just give us 20-25 year old Red after 20 years of adamant avoidance of showing times progression in universe outside of ambiguity for anything that is not directly a sequel. With the PC having moved from Kanto, as well as Red and Green being in game, we might actually get some hints at just what a region would look like 10-15 years in universe after we last saw it. And you don't just casually bring up Kanto hints without meaning something more...

WereArcanineMon
Reaction score
I wonder what would be the names... Red 2 and Blue/Green 2? Fire Red 2 and Leaf Green 2?