• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections. Applications are due by November 26th.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Only 79 new Pokemon?
Reaction score
The "remakes must be on a new console" pattern can be broken just like almost every other pattern in the series you know.
Gamefreak can also break the "every generation must have all its games on the same console" pattern you know.

Destroyer of Fairy, Steel and Ice types.
Reaction score
They could but some won't like that. Hopefully they keep the pattern and withhold main series games on Switch until gen 8. It be very interesting to see what they can do with remakes of DP.

Nuzlocke Lover
Reaction score
I feel we'll see the interesting sights of Sinnoh remakes not for quite some time. I am glad for that.

Hopefully, Cynthia catches a counter against Fairy by then. :p

Only 79 new Pokemon?
Reaction score
I used to be supportive of DP remakes in 2017. Then I played sun and moon and had flashbacks to all the double battle zones in the originals and shuddered at having those on the SM engine. BTW this is my opinion so idgaf if you like lag in your pokemon.

Now I hope gamefreak isn't stupid enough to try these games unless it is on the switch.

Cynthia already has a counter to fairies btw. Its called roserade.

Am I getting dabbed on by a Stunfisk?
Reaction score
I used to be supportive of DP remakes in 2017. Then I played sun and moon and had flashbacks to all the double battle zones in the originals and shuddered at having those on the SM engine. BTW this is my opinion so idgaf if you like lag in your pokemon.
It's possible that they could trim the number of Double Battles (and with the general difficulty/roster size decrease that we saw for NPC Trainers in ORAS, I wouldn't put it past them), although I'd find that an odd decision given how much they push Doubles in competitive. You'd be taking away good practice with the format for newer players! :p

Reaction score
The one thing that hasn't come up if they do decide to put gen 4 remakes on the Switch, trading, battling, and any other connectivity functions must be seamless between the 3ds and the Switch if they can't pull that off then there is no point to do gen VII on different consoles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuzlocke Lover
Reaction score
The one thing that hasn't come up if they do decide to put gen 4 remakes on the Switch, trading, battling, and any other connectivity functions must be seamless between the 3ds and the Switch if they can't pull that off then there is no point to do gen VII on different consoles.

This is assuming that Sinnoh remakes will happen in Gen 7. I highly doubt that they will. People assumed the same about Hoenn remakes in Gen 5. Look how that turned out.

Reaction score
This is assuming that Sinnoh remakes will happen in Gen 7. I highly doubt that they will. People assumed the same about Hoenn remakes in Gen 5. Look how that turned out.
True, but I am not assuming they will do it, I just posted a hypothetical post on if they decide to do it then connectivity must work no matter what.

Reaction score
Just because gen 5 didn't get remakes doesn't mean that gen 7 would be the same. I see no reason to not have Sinnoh remakes in gen 7 but GF may stick to the pattern of one remake per handheld and gen. Of course patterns could be broken.

If DP remakes are on Switch then they be after the first pair of gen 8 games if we follow the pattern.

Strongest Trainer
Reaction score
Then there is no reason to potentially put Gen 4 remakes on the switch, because battling and trading are at the core of Pokemon.
They just might as well put it on 3DS
Just because gen 5 didn't get remakes doesn't mean that gen 7 would be the same. I see no reason to not have Sinnoh remakes in gen 7 but GF may stick to the pattern of one remake per handheld and gen. Of course patterns could be broken.
If DP remakes are on Switch then they be after the first pair of gen 8 games if we follow the pattern.
I think most pokemon game works differently, Gen 5 is a soft reboot of pokemon, and you can only use the pokemon from the unova region, i think it wouldn't matter if we got either a sequel or third game, basically they both are the same thing, but, I think GF came up with the sequel, because we never got a sequel, until black 2 and white 2. XY didn't get Sequel or third version, Sun and Moon might get a third version game (Star), but we probably won't get a sequel, but if we get a pokemon reboot (which i know we won't) then it might follow up on the sequel, the same way black and white did

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
Then there is no reason to potentially put Gen 4 remakes on the switch, because battling and trading are at the core of Pokemon.
Um, yeah there is. He's not saying there's won't be any communication between games whatsoever, just that 3DS and Switch games will have trouble. Switch games should be able to communicate with other Switch games.

Reaction score
Um, yeah there is. He's not saying there's won't be any communication between games whatsoever, just that 3DS and Switch games will have trouble. Switch games should be able to communicate with other Switch games.
If they are the sequel gen vii games and not gen viii games then they will more than likely have to connect to the 3ds as well as the switch. Nintendo learned a lesson with gen iii never make games that seem walled in as what R/S/E were until the Kanto remakes surfaced.

Reaction score
If they are the sequel gen vii games and not gen viii games then they will more than likely have to connect to the 3ds as well as the switch. Nintendo learned a lesson with gen iii never make games that seem walled in as what R/S/E were until the Kanto remakes surfaced.

FRLG came before Emerald. But you made a good point on that first part. If we can communicate between both handhelds then it be more good.

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
Well that's why this whole Stars rumor is a dumb idea in the first place. Splitting up a generation between different hardware is liable to cause a huge mess when it comes to compatibility, and more than likely communication will be limited to Banking Pokemon from SM to Switch games. They should wait until 8th gen to release a Switch game, it's a lot neater that way.

Reaction score
FRLG came before Emerald. But you made a good point on that first part. If we can communicate between both handhelds then it be more good.
True but I included it because emerald is closer to the other two then the Kanto remakes.

Nuzlocke Lover
Reaction score
Getting back to the topic.

It would be cool if Cynthia makes little references to her travels to other regions. :)