• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling we're not going to see the Distortion World again. It must've been a nightmare to program in the first place with all of the antigravity, and now with 3D graphics? I'd genuinely be impressed if they could squeeze it in.

-In Amity Square, be allowed to walk and interact with all pokemons. This place can be an optional moment to briefly re experience pokemon following the trainer again.

Again, a nightmare to program in 3D.

It's expected improvements the graphics; when XY were realesed, they knew the implications and that a new "era" was beginning. If it were to follow the "everything is diffucult, game Freak is lazy" logic, nothing different will be made in the future generations besides the basics, and its a bad thing, because it implies that the franchise cant handle their material, and therefore they are incompetent, which I particulary like to believe is not the case. The Sinnoh remakes has not even been announced, Game Freak have enough time to redo the Distortion World with some different elements to fit the graphs and new mechanics if necessary, so this isnt an excuse.

Jasmine's meant to be an Easter Egg character basically, they could give her a little more importance, but they're probably not going to make her that significant a character. Mega Stones will probably be introduced by someone like Cynthia or Prof. Rowan (Celestic Town sounds about right in DP).
Yeah, you are right, she's like a "special character" or "guest star", so the role to introduce mega stones worth a Sinnoh character, maybe the Rowan assistant? This would give a better role and possibilities to explore more their characters. Imo it would be boring follow the same line of ORAS and turn Dawn/Lucas the second rival, im tired of this formula.
Anyway, would be cool Jasmine doing something more than just being there. Probably a participation in a post-game episode, similar to Wallace and Zinnia.

If they didn't include the Battle Frontier in the region where it was first introduced and heavily marketed, they probably won't in this game either. Unless they change their tune about the whole "kids don't have time for video games" thing, which I don't see happening anytime soon.

Why not? I dont get that point. This would be a "redeem", since many fans were complaining about the lack of it in ORAS. Children may find it difficult, but the other half of the pokemon players were kids in the 90s, like me, and now they are in the middle twenties. I hope they "see" the mistake they made and try to please this age range as well. if they neglect or fail to understand their own audience, it's a really bad thing. rpgs players are not the ones who play candy crush and fulfill with it, at least are really different experiences.

We don't need DPPt remakes yet, they don't seem old enough yet and RSE remakes haven't even been made yet, but I hope Lucas gets a redesign because that hat is ridiculous!
HAHAHAHA Oh, come on, I like his design, Lucas looks like a badass soldier ocelotpkmncv8.jpg If Lucas gets a redesign, he should look more like his realistic twin, Ocelot :naughty: 1272907342658.jpg

It's expected improvements the graphics; when XY were realesed, they knew the implications and that a new "era" was beginning. If it were to follow the "everything is diffucult, game Freak is lazy" logic;8, nothing different will be made in the future generations besides the basics, and its a bad thing, because it implies that the franchise cant handle their material, and therefore they are incompetent, which I particulary like to believe is not the case. The Sinnoh remakes has not even been announced, Game Freak have enough time to redo the Distortion World with some different elements to fit the graphs and new mechanics if necessary, so this isnt an excuse.

Even after a few years of experience with 3D, they may not be able to handle something like that. 3D takes a lot more work, so either they're more limited on what they can do or it'll take longer. And I'm not sure they'd go for the latter.

Why not? I dont get that point. This would be a "redeem", since many fans were complaining about the lack of it in ORAS. Children may find it difficult, but the other half of the pokemon players were kids in the 90s, like me, and now they are in the middle twenties. I hope they "see" the mistake they made and try to please this age range as well. if they neglect or fail to understand their own audience, it's a really bad thing. rpgs players are not the ones who play candy crush and fulfill with it, at least are really different experiences.

I don't think they consider older fans to be their audience, they're more interested in targeting kids.

My only wish for the Sinnoh remakes is for Dawn to get a nice redesign.

Low standards>>>>>>>>

Fantina will be the 5th fought, Maylene's Machoke is at the same level it evolves from Machop, Veilstone Gym's underleveled Machokes are replaced by Riolu
Gaspar evolves into Gengar rather than hold Everstone, it will hold a Spell Tag, after trading Medicham to Mindy
Less use of HM Slaves (Will not force people to use Bibarel/Bidoof)
Pokedex still uses Platinum 210
National Dex Unlock requires all 210 seen
Lucario is obtained earlier, just find Riolu in Celestic Ruins (100% encounter rate) max friendship and level up during the Day
Electabuzz and Magmar are version exclusives
In game trade allows you to get Magmar/Electabuzz, holding their -izer items via an in game trade. Trader asks for Magmar or Electabuzz, the one in yours.
Mars has a Glameow instead of an underleveled Purugly during the Valley Windworks
Jupiter's Skuntank in Eterna battle is replaced by Stunky (to prevent underleveling)
All rematches have the foe use 6 Pokemon instead of 5 (eg. Crasher Wake adds Empoleon in rematch)

I'd much rather they don't do a DP remake. Instead I'd like them to detail the DPPt storyline in the universe with megas. However, that alone won't suffice and I'd rather they change the story and possibly features considerably. Reasoning being that I know they'll just make a few megas, give it a decent story, the cut out any difficulty or battle frontier. And people will still by the games regardless.
On topic really it depends on the theme of the game. If they go for ultimate that I heard in some interview years ago, maybe they could go with Summit Diamond and Apex Pearl. Possibly link it all together with Mt Coronet being the highest point in the region or something.

I imagine that we'll somehow get the Distortion World/Giratina schtick much like the Delta Episode in ORAS. Especially since it's likely GF won't do a Platinum remake instead(which sucks IMO).

I think it's too early to tell if GF would cut corners with D/P remakes or not, since we have no idea what Gen 7 will be like.

I think it's too early to tell if GF would cut corners with D/P remakes or not, since we have no idea what Gen 7 will be like.

Whilst that's true, personally the ting that has me down is that so far in all the interviews Masuda's been screaming this message of needing to attract the smartphone audience. He's been non-stop talking positively about the new direction they're heading in and has shown no indication of stopping. It's not so bad that I won't be playing any new pokemon games, but it's definitely a marked departure from the previous games (not that they didn't have issues of their own).

Have any of you ever considered that all of this "smartphone hype" that Masuda is supposedly going on about may mean that Game Freak may start making more smartphone products/games/apps/what-have-you that are going to be separate from the main series games? I'm sorry, but I feel like a lot of people are panicking over nothing. We shouldn't be panicking about anything until Gen 7 comes out, and that's all there is to it.

Have any of you ever considered that all of this "smartphone hype" that Masuda is supposedly going on about may mean that Game Freak may start making more smartphone products/games/apps/what-have-you that are going to be separate from the main series games? I'm sorry, but I feel like a lot of people are panicking over nothing. We shouldn't be panicking about anything until Gen 7 comes out, and that's all there is to it.

Yeah, I agree. They could approach the smartphones target through spin-offs, side games like Final Fantasy did. It dont mean that pokemon will change plataform. The same way with kids, they want/need to achieve this public, but its dumb to forget the older ones, since teenagers and youger adulds are a remarkable parcel of the players.

I don't think they consider older fans to be their audience, they're more interested in targeting kids.
There isnt a quote in an interview that Matsumiya or other staff member said that they are aging the protagonists (Hilber/Hilda and Serena/Calem) due to great amount of the players are geting older and not longer identify with ten years characters? I dont remeber the the sources and have no time to search now, but I read it and saw fans claim this statement several times. If its true, they dont ignore the older target so much.

I got what you say that "kids" are the target. Pokemon would never turn in a bloody survival horror game, for example. But it doesnt mean that the plot need to be dumbed, or that cant be optional things like Battle Frontier to appeal older players.

Last edited:
I agree strongly. It wouldn't hurt anyone to give the protags another couple years of age, and introduce some stronger plot and features to interest older players. Younger players wouldn't even notice the difference. It would still be kid friendly. Anything "too serious" would probably go over their heads. Everyone wins. And it'd be great to add an actual difficulty setting at the beginning of the game.

As far as Sinnoh remakes go, I don't expect them anytime soon. I doubt they'll come until maybe... 2020?

But the thing is, we've already seen how that mentality has leaked into the main series. Every time someone has asked Masuda about the general change in difficulty [for example], he always talks about modern times and mobile gaming. When asked about the Battle Frontier, he said that it being cut ties into that response. And I think its safe to assume that things like the more linear maps or auto-backtracking exist for the same reason. They've definitely been gearing toward a simpler experience (We even have Sugimori saying that they plan on reverting to simplicity in the future, be it for their design choices or gameplay).

Its appreciated in some ways, like the O-Powers or Horde Training which can cut down on tedium...But then we get to the latest remakes and find that they're willing to cut out details or features altogether with the same mindset. That doesn't bode well for a place like Sinnoh.

Sinnoh would be absolutely neutered if it got remakes. Sinnoh had a huge emphasis on exploration and Game Freak very clearly doesn't want to do that anymore. Platinum expanded on Diamond and Pearl and offered a more challenging experience with a more engaging storyline. It's a shame that Game Freak won't take any influence from that game if we visit Sinnoh again. They've been slowly pushing towards simplicity and linearity, and even tried making Hoenn linear. They're losing sight of what Pokemon so great in the first place. People loved exploration. For me I'm probably not going to keep buying the games if Game Freak doesn't change their stance. It's really disheartening because we know they can put out great games. BW1 is a great example of how to make a linear game, XY is the opposite. Then there was BW2 which was for once a Pokemon game without Masuda's guiding hand. I really wish Takao Unno had control over the series.

With BW2, it was his first time directing but he clearly understood how to balance aspects of the game. He offered a more well thought out storyline for the older fans but a difficulty that was still manageable for kids. He appealed to competitive players with the PWT, a completely optional feature. The difficulty settings idea that was planned for BW1 was implemented in BW2 but at a cost, you couldn't choose which setting you wanted at the beginning of the game. The series is suffering under Masuda and if sales decline then it is entirely his fault.

I do not understand this notion that exploaration is not important. I mean, yes, XY certainly took things in a direction that makes it seem so, and the ORAS shortcuts certainly sucked, but I am still insistent that the change to 3D is taking a toll on where they should go next and how. Unova despite the linear first go, absolutely knocked it out of the park with side areas, optional dungeons and fun distractions.I think if Sinnoh comes around, they might actually go the opposite route and go for expanding what is there. We are likely lookingat the NX or beyond for Sinooh remakes, putting us onuch more powerful hardware. So you know, Sinnoh could be potentially excellent. Hell rock climb cpuld even be expanded to scale an actual Mount Cororonet!

I do not understand this notion that exploaration is not important. I mean, yes, XY certainly took things in a direction that makes it seem so, and the ORAS shortcuts certainly sucked, but I am still insistent that the change to 3D is taking a toll on where they should go next and how. Unova despite the linear first go, absolutely knocked it out of the park with side areas, optional dungeons and fun distractions.I think if Sinnoh comes around, they might actually go the opposite route and go for expanding what is there. We are likely lookingat the NX or beyond for Sinooh remakes, putting us onuch more powerful hardware. So you know, Sinnoh could be potentially excellent. Hell rock climb cpuld even be expanded to scale an actual Mount Cororonet!

I would love it if Game Freak really did work hard at truly making a remake. A remake is the chance to take a look at what you did right, keep that stuff, and improve upon what you did wrong. Game Freak doesn't do that though. They've done three remakes now and have not once taken the chance to address the flaws of the originals. Unfortunately it's not realistic to think they'll do anything sufficiently different with Sinnoh. They won't even do something as simple as fixing the Pokemon distribution in the remakes. When FRLG came around, there were well over 300 Pokemon and they did absolutely nothing about that. They kept everything the same. When HGSS came around, there were over 400 Pokemon. They only added in the cross gen evolutions of Pokemon that existed in the originals. But they didn't even add locations for some cross gen evolutions to evolve. Then ORAS came around and did they fix the PokeDex? No they didn't. Game Freak (or rather Junichi Masuda) has made it abundantly clear that remakes aren't supposed to change much. They change just a little so they can justify a remake.

It's really quite sad because with ORAS, you can tell Shigeru Ohmori really wanted to do something interesting with Hoenn. He wrote the Delta Episode and it's very clear that Masuda had little influence on that part of the game. That was the one part of the game where Ohmori was taken off the leash and allowed to do something new. It worked too. There are so many talented people at Game Freak that are unfortunately held back by Masuda. It's a shame because Masuda was once a very capable director and the franchise seemed to be in great hands for a while.

It's weird, what I more note in forums arepeople complaining, wanting more post games, features, complex storylines. exploration and interesting characters.
Though I dont know about the japanese target, what their general position about the games, due to the fact I dont understand the language. I think they wouldnt oppose to a more elaborated game, but if a remember correctly, it was said in an interview that GF were geting complaints about games getting difficult :confused:.
Maybe they havent found the best solution, and that means that they didnt understand very well the fans at that point.

DasManic said a good point, it makes no sense a remake that is worst or less elaborated than the first games. In ORAS, to be true, i think they made a reasonable good job. It could be better, since many elements were excluded, but many things, especially the plot were improved. Delta episode is an example of a good thing implemented.

I particulary hope they revise these concepts, and do not exclude good features of Platinum, neither elements such as Battle Frontier.

There is probably no way in hell they could leave out the distortion worls. In dact, I honesrly think its gonna be the first 3rd version atory elementa to pop up preleague. Not to mwntion my ideal story involcing the distortion worls transending the multiverse, with old cyrus popping up alongside megaverse cyrus. Go full crazy with the story I say.

I think it would be pretty cool for Gen IV remakes, imagine the Distortion World in 3D or Mt. Coronet in 3D

I understand that the Gen 1 fans need a another Kanto remake, but can't they just buy a GBA or a GBASP and with FR and LG.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to see Mega Evolutions of the Sinnoh starters (Empoleon especially), Primal Reversions of Dialga and Palkia, the Platinum dex please (because the Diamond/Pearl dex was abysmal), Distortion World, either Platinum or entirely new renditions of each gym, Sylveon included in the dex so as to allow cross-gen evolution.

Thanks for reading!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom