• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Shinnoh remakes will get a similar treatment as ORAS did. They will have many cool new features, and then they will not have some classic ones from the originals. Essentially, Masuda's current mentality is: THE FANDOM CHANGES WITH TIME, AND WE DO THE SAME.
He is trading big engaging and challenging stuff like the Frontier, for cool shiny, more easy to use and exciting to do features like Soaring, Sneaking, Customisation, etc.

I think they will be very good, but it will end up depending of who will be the director.

I don't want DP remakes to take ORAS approach since ORAS was a step backwards. I want the remakes of Sinnoh done properly. DP remakes should follow HGSS example and use elements from Platinum.

Naw , GF just has this weird thing about keeping things exclusive and that drain of thought is starting to get them a lot of negative feedback
it's always garnered them negative feedback. however, it is understandable that things are kept exclusive. after all, things like the Battle Frontier, PWT, and Pokemon-walking-behind-you are cool and remembered because they're not in every game. obviously there are things that progress the series as a whole and should be continuously brought with each generation (day-night, seasons, customization, running, and so on), but there are things that need to be kept exclusive or after a while they lose their charm. after all, Battle Towers (and their reskins) have appeared in every generation following Crystal and people have gotten bored with them. similarly with Hoenn vs. Sinnoh and Johto's Battle Frontier: people really remember Hoenn, not so much the same with the Sinnoh/Johto Battle Frontier. not to mention the lost marketing aspect. why should i buy BW2 if the PWT (probably the biggest selling point for BW2) is already in BW? if the Battle Frontier had already existed in Ruby and Sapphire, people would have had substantially less reason to buy Emerald, lest improvements were made to said Frontier.

Also when they hacked the Demo didnt they find remixed Battle Frontier music, why would they go and make those if they weren't going to include it at some stage?
what was found was the Frontier Brain music, which is used when you fight the Battle Chatelaines, so it was likely made as a nod to the original Battle Frontier and to give the Chatelaines a unique theme (something they lack in XY).

it's always garnered them negative feedback. however, it is understandable that things are kept exclusive. after all, things like the Battle Frontier, PWT, and Pokemon-walking-behind-you are cool and remembered because they're not in every game. obviously there are things that progress the series as a whole and should be continuously brought with each generation (day-night, seasons, customization, running, and so on), but there are things that need to be kept exclusive or after a while they lose their charm. after all, Battle Towers (and their reskins) have appeared in every generation following Crystal and people have gotten bored with them. similarly with Hoenn vs. Sinnoh and Johto's Battle Frontier: people really remember Hoenn, not so much the same with the Sinnoh/Johto Battle Frontier. not to mention the lost marketing aspect. why should i buy BW2 if the PWT (probably the biggest selling point for BW2) is already in BW? if the Battle Frontier had already existed in Ruby and Sapphire, people would have had substantially less reason to buy Emerald, lest improvements were made to said Frontier.

Also when they hacked the Demo didnt they find remixed Battle Frontier music, why would they go and make those if they weren't going to include it at some stage?
what was found was the Frontier Brain music, which is used when you fight the Battle Chatelaines, so it was likely made as a nod to the original Battle Frontier and to give the Chatelaines a unique theme (something they lack in XY).
The problem is that GF never expands on any of the concepts they created even though every other videogame developer has been doing this since the dawn of gaming and that mentality only makes them look archaic in the eyes of gamers.
If they want to make people remember their games then maybe they should start making more interesting characters and stories that make each game stick out from each, rather than us doing the badge quest over and over again.

Yeah, sorry sinnoh fans, but expect the sinnoh remakes not to include any platinum elements like oras with emerald elements. I wouldn't be excited about them tbh.

Last edited:
Initially, I wasn't interested in DPPt, but I'll be happy for a possible remake. At least the region's geography seem to make better sense than the stupid mess Hoenn was (both in RSE and ORAS), so that's one major obstacle down for me. I don't really mind whether they add or subtract stuff - just as long as the above is addressed.

Update 1:
The Sinnoh Dex was very sparse in the original two games (especially in terms of Fire types - the Chimchar and Ponyta lines were your only choices)
Thanks for reminding me about this. I completely forgot this is something that needs to be addressed. I had a similar grievance with my experience in Black 1, as I couldn't get Blitzle to do its job properly, and the only other Electric Pokémon until after the 5th Gym was Emolga, which suffered from a lack of evolution. Ditto with Purrloin and Dark-type Pokémon.

Last edited:
I look forward to the prospect of DPPt remakes in due course. I believe that Sinnoh was the most expansive region with the best lore, though I do hope that they use Platinum as the blueprint for the remakes more than DP in terms of features. The Sinnoh Dex was very sparse in the original two games (especially in terms of Fire types - the Chimchar and Ponyta lines were your only choices), but Platinum was very good at improving this by including all of the families that had cross-gen evolutions in Gen IV, as well as other additions here and there like Swablu and Absol. There was also so much more to do in the post-game, and if they could include all of the Mystery Gift events again I would be very happy. On that note I must admit that I miss the days where events had you actually go to mysterious locations to catch the mythical Pokemon. It isn't as rewarding to just pick them up from an NPC at the Pokemon Centre.

Like I say, I eagerly await these games when their time inevitably comes, and additionally I hope that until they do happen we see games released in the meantime that are as complete as (in my opinion) Platinum was.

I think fans should be a bit sharper, and understand that Gen V didn't include the BF because of a reason, other than GF fu*king fans up. They are not nasty assholes who like messing up our games, nor are they dumb. Maybe not so many fans wanted the Frontier back, as desperately as we do. Maybe we see many fans whining in forums about it's exclusion from ORAS, because the vast majority of players are too busy enjoying the games and don't have time to whine about a single feature being left out in forums.

I hope Masada changes his mind and brings the BF back, but he said it is not in the games because nowadays players are busier, and you are all looking for a cryptic meaning in his words.

GF probably believe the World Championship is less work to do, and has a similar wow effect. Also ORAS only mentions the Frontier to tell fans that the Frontier hasn't been erased story wise, although it is not interesting for them game wise.

They will probably bring the Frontier back eventually, but stop expecting it in every freaking game because it was left out of the last four games, not just XY and ORAS, as people are making it to be.

Also, any feature could return if there is a huge demand for it, but it looks like not so many fans are sour about Frontier's exclusion as we are. Some people got bored of it after HGSS copy pasted it from Platinum, and maybe wanted a new thing.

Last edited:
I think fans should be a bit sharper, and understand that Gen V didn't include the BF because of a reason, other than GF fu*king fans up. They are not nasty assholes who like messing up our games, nor are they dumb. Maybe not so many fans wanted the Frontier back, as desperately as we do. Maybe we see many fans whining in forums about it's exclusion from ORAS, because the vast majority of players are too busy enjoying the games and don't have time to whine about a single feature being left out in forums.

I hope Masada changes his mind and brings the BF back, but he said it is not in the games because nowadays players are busier, and you are all looking for a cryptic meaning in his words.

GF probably believe the World Championship is less work to do, and has a similar wow effect. Also ORAS only mentions the Frontier to tell fans that the Frontier hasn't been erased story wise, although it is not interesting for them game wise.

They will probably bring the Frontier back eventually, but stop expecting it in every freaking game because it was left out of the last four games, not just XY and ORAS, as people are making it to be.

Also, any feature could return if there is a huge demand for it, but it looks like not so many fans are sour about Frontier's exclusion as we are. Some people got bored of it after HGSS copy pasted it from Platinum, and maybe wanted a new thing.
I really think that Masuda was just lying to cover up the fact that they just couldn't finish everything in time. ORAS has many great ideas that could innovate the series but that could all end up being for naught if GF doesn't pursue it.
As for the BF, that was all people would talk about when they would imagine a R\S remake and when ORAS was revealed everyone kept saying- I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE BF IN 3D, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE BF IN 3D, and considering that GF introduced many new types of battles since the original Hoenn games they could've expanded on the concept and added new Brains for triple, rotation, sky, and inverse battles if they really wanted to spice things up.
All this recent Corocoro news has shown me that GF had many cool ideas that they wanted to put in XY but couldn't because of "reasons" but that mistake left the games feeling more incomplete than Zygarde itself.

I really think that Masuda was just lying to cover up the fact that they just couldn't finish everything in time. ORAS has many great ideas that could innovate the series but that could all end up being for naught if GF doesn't pursue it.
As for the BF, that was all people would talk about when they would imagine a R\S remake and when ORAS was revealed everyone kept saying- I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE BF IN 3D, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE BF IN 3D, and considering that GF introduced many new types of battles since the original Hoenn games they could've expanded on the concept and added new Brains for triple, rotation, sky, and inverse battles if they really wanted to spice things up.
All this recent Corocoro news has shown me that GF had many cool ideas that they wanted to put in XY but couldn't because of "reasons" but that mistake left the games feeling more incomplete than Zygarde itself.

I really don't think he was lying. He has been saying the same things for a lot of time. If he was just covering up the true, he wouldn't have been so persistent about it. No, he isn't lying. He really considers that today players want more shiny new features and less chalenging hardcore stuff. Unless Z proves me wrong, I believe Masuda.

But either way, Masuda will not bring back the Frontier one game after it should have returned. You are not being logical here.

Last edited:

I really don't think he was lying. He has been saying the same things for a lot of time. If he was just covering up the true, he wouldn't have been so persistent about it. No, he isn't lying. He really considers that today players want more shiny new features and less chalenging hardcore stuff. Unless Z proves me wrong, I believe Masuda.

But either way, Masuda will not bring back the Frontier one game after it should have returned. You are not being logical here, I am afraid.
The problem is that GF has always used jives like this in the past and yet they turn around and do the opposite. They said they wouldn't go 3D and come 2013 they did and even then the Battle Resort is build for the competitive players rather than the Casuals so there're gainsays everywhere. Oras to me was a good remake because it managed to flush out its respective region to the point that we never have to see Hoenn again but not including the BF ( along with Emerald's other features) would've been the giant cherry on top but instead ended up being a missed opportunity.

But either way, Masuda will not bring back the Frontier one game after it should have returned. You are not being logical here, I am afraid.
The problem is that GF has always used jives like this in the past and yet they turn around and do the opposite. They said they wouldn't go 3D and come 2013 they did and even then the Battle Resort is build for the competitive players rather than the Casuals so there're gainsays everywhere. Oras to me was a good remake because it managed to flush out its respective region to the point that we never have to see Hoenn again but not including the BF ( along with Emerald's other features) would've been the giant cherry on top but instead ended up being a missed opportunity.

But the casuals pandering, is something GF have been doing for a long time, and you keep on skipping this question. The fact that they lie for somethings sometimes doesn't mean they ALWAYS lie. And this time, looks like they definitely are saying the truth. I mean the "Fans have less time than before, they are busier and have more options of entertainment!" philosophy has been repeated since Pokemon B2W2!!!! And it's just starting to take shape.

I hope this isn't true, and you turn out to be correct. But until proven the opposite, I will believe that the BF was left out of ORAS not for lack of production time, but because this is GF's new view.

Last edited:

But the casuals pandering, is something GF have been doing for a long time, and you keep on skipping this question. The fact that they lie for somethings sometimes doesn't mean they ALWAYS lie. And this time, looks like they definitely are saying the truth. I mean the "Fans have less time than before, they are busier and have more options of entertainment!" philosophy has been repeated since Pokemon B2W2!!!! And it's just starting to take shape.

I hope this isn't true, and you turn out to be correct. But until proven the opposite, I will believe that the BF was left out of ORAS not for lack of production time, but because this is GF's new view.
The big difference is that a large portion of their fanbase is saying otherwise and people have written articles and have shown testimony against Masuda's statement.
Their new view to me is nothing but an ersatz they made to cover themselves from backlash so if I were them I'd get things in gear quick before it's too late because as it stands YW is slowly NTRing GF's fans and taking their market.
Things must change swiftly or they'll regret it later.

The big difference is that a large portion of their fanbase is saying otherwise and people have written articles and have shown testimony against Masuda's statement.
Their new view to me is nothing but an ersatz they made to cover themselves from backlash so if I were them I'd get things in gear quick before it's too late because as it stands YW is slowly NTRing GF's fans and taking their market.

Regret it? The games are objectively more polished and of higher quality than ever before. The games have given us plenty of new stuff and great brand new content, only substracting a few things (which they have always been making). You guys are seriously being hysterical for no reason. And most people don't even care about the Battle Frontier as much as you think they do. The games still have A LOT of content, especially ORAS. And not to mention B2W2, one of the most content packed games, which also didn not have the Battle Frontier.

PD: I think Game Freak could potentially regret more some stupid over the top designs like 100% Zygarde. Content- wise, the games are still TOP CLASS, frontier aside.

Last edited:
Regret it? The games are objectively more polished and of higher quality than ever before. The games have given us plenty of new stuff and great brand new content, only substracting a few things (which they have always been making). You guys are seriously being hysterical for no reason. And most people don't even care about the Battle Frontier as much as you think they do. The games still have A LOT of content, especially ORAS. And not to mention B2W2, one of the most content packed games, which also didn not have the Battle Frontier.

PD: I think Game Freak could potentially regret more some stupid over the top designs like 100% Zygarde. Content- wise, the games are still TOP CLASS, frontier aside.

ORAS may have new and a lot of content that doesn't make the contents in the game great. Zygarde designs are fantastic but ORAS was made with a lot of dislikes and flaws. ORAS basically made Emerald non-existant by including nothing from it. I don't dislike the whole of ORAS however, going to Southern Island in route 118, Deoxys being obtainable, the new megas/primals and Regigigas appearing with the other regi's was a highlight. I really hope DP remakes won't make the same wrong path as ORAS went because I want to see decent remakes.

Yw2 completely bodied Oras in Japan selling over 5m to the former's 2m and that made headlines everywhere and GF's biggest fear is if YW makes even a little splash over here westward because then that's checkmate.
I don't think that the BF should be in everything but it was an important part of Hoenn and it was all the rave whenever R\S remakes were mentioned and it stayed that way until fans were hit with the overwhelming disappointment that it was axed which damaged people's view on GF and the games respectively and added more hype to the Ghost Train.
As for Zygarde he and his potential game are the last hope of Gen 6 in many people's eyes and frankly I think he's the most interesting Pokémon to come of this generation which might explain his fast growth in popularity.

ORAS may have new and a lot of content that doesn't make the contents in the game great. Zygarde designs are fantastic but ORAS was made with a lot of dislikes and flaws. ORAS basically made Emerald non-existant by including nothing from it. I don't dislike the whole of ORAS however, going to Southern Island in route 118, Deoxys being obtainable, the new megas/primals and Regigigas appearing with the other regi's was a highlight. I really hope DP remakes won't make the same wrong path as ORAS went because I want to see decent remakes.

ORAS is a very well rounded and quality game and remake. It lacks one big thing, the Frontier, and a few minor things like gym leader rebattles. Besides said missing little thingies, the game is really great.

By the way, ORAS was the ideal oportunity to bring the Frontier back, and I think it's absence signifies it most surely will not be in the Shinnoh remakes either!

ORAS is a very well rounded and quality game and remake. It lacks one big thing, the Frontier, and a few minor things like gym leader rebattles. Besides said missing little thingies, the game is really great.

By the way, ORAS was the ideal oportunity to bring the Frontier back, and I think it's absence signifies it most surely will not be in the Shinnoh remakes either!
If they pull that it's isn't going to look pretty pitiful especially after the fan retroaction GF has gotten for doing that before. Things will go from bad to disastrous then

ORAS wasn't that great. A few good things that I like but a lot of things I didn't like. Unfortunately, I agree with you that the BF is likely to not appear in Sinnoh remakes. ORAS are not great games because they need improvements. I don't know how Z or whatever is going to make up for ORAS but if Game Freak continues making the games like ORAS, that shows that they don't care about their customers. I expect at least the Distortion World to return in DP remakes if no Battle Frontier.

ORAS wasn't that great. A few good things that I like but a lot of things I didn't like. Unfortunately, I agree with you that the BF is likely to not appear in Sinnoh remakes. ORAS are not great games because they need improvements. I don't know how Z or whatever is going to make up for ORAS but if Game Freak continues making the games like ORAS, that shows that they don't care about their customers. I expect at least the Distortion World to return in DP remakes if no Battle Frontier.

ORAS are great games in most peoples eyes. You guys hating ORAS are the minority. Which doesn't mean you are wrong, but keep it in mind before hating.

I think DP remakes can be very good with or without the Frontier, especially since the Shinnoh one was already a step down from it's Hoenn cousin.

I hope they bring it back, but don't get too crazy about a single feature being in or out of the games. Especially one that has only appeared in 3 games!

Last edited:

ORAS are great games in most peoples eyes. You guys hating ORAS are the minority. Which doesn't mean you are wrong, but keep it in mind before hating.

I think DP remakes can be very good with or without the Frontier, especially since the Shinnoh one was already a step down from it's Hoenn cousin.

I hope they bring it back, but don't get too crazy about a single feature being in or out of the games. Especially one that has only appeared in 3 games!
I really do like ORAS but I feel that it was just missing one big thing that would've made it just a bit better. I think remakes I should be a celebration of all things from that respective region even HGSS included the Suicuine stuff even though it wasn't huge thing but it added great attention to detail. I want the D\P remakes to be the same way and include everything that Platinum had too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom