• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhat diverting from the topic, but I feel it's kinda relevant to the discussion of fan reception and inclusion/exclusion of features in remakes that's going on.

Who are you guys talking about when talking about the fanbase? The people on this forum? The people on a combination of the most popular pokémon forums? The people who blog about the games or review them? Everyone who plays pokémon?

In case of that last one, it's pretty much impossible to claim anything about the fanbase, considering you don't exactly have access to their opinions

I'll admit, on here there seem to be quite a few people who don't like ORAS very much. Exact numbers of likers vs dislikers I wouldn't know, but at times it seems to be about equal (though what thread you visit matters as well) But that's such a small number compared to the people who play pokémon. In my direct surrounding, I know at least ten, and I think I'm the only one of them who's active on Bulbagarden. Most of them seem to really, really enjoy the games though and I've rarely heard them complain about a lack of certain features. Of course, that's only my experience, and someone else's might be entirely different

As for the Gen IV remakes... The one thing I'm really wondering is what they're going to do with Regigigas, now he's apparently locked up in Hoenn as well (though I think they should have locked him up in Shoal Cave tbh, all the way down in a secret part of the ice cave. But that's beside the point)

the Distortion World should def be in there as well, but if they don't want to mess too much with the original D/P's plot, they could always make it a post-game thing (which I absolutely wouldn't mind) I guess it also all depends on how they'll tie in mega evolution, and whether or not the Space-Time duo receives a Mega form (and also how they'll handle Giratina's alternate form)

ORAS is a very well rounded and quality game and remake. It lacks one big thing, the Frontier, and a few minor things like gym leader rebattles. Besides said missing little thingies, the game is really great.

By the way, ORAS was the ideal oportunity to bring the Frontier back, and I think it's absence signifies it most surely will not be in the Shinnoh remakes either!

ORAS wasn't that great. A few good things that I like but a lot of things I didn't like. Unfortunately, I agree with you that the BF is likely to not appear in Sinnoh remakes. ORAS are not great games because they need improvements. I don't know how Z or whatever is going to make up for ORAS but if Game Freak continues making the games like ORAS, that shows that they don't care about their customers. I expect at least the Distortion World to return in DP remakes if no Battle Frontier.

ORAS are great games in most peoples eyes. You guys hating ORAS are the minority. Which doesn't mean you are wrong, but keep it in mind before hating.

I think DP remakes can be very good with or without the Frontier, especially since the Shinnoh one was already a step down from it's Hoenn cousin.

I hope they bring it back, but don't get too crazy about a single feature being in or out of the games. Especially one that has only appeared in 3 games!
I really do like ORAS but I feel that it was just missing one big thing that would've made it just a bit better. I think remakes I should be a celebration of all things from that respective region even HGSS included the Suicuine stuff even though it wasn't huge thing but it added great attention to detail. I want the D\P remakes to be the same way and include everything that Platinum had too

I completely agree the BF would have made ORAS a bit better, but I am not going to criticize them for that absence, until an other game has the Frontier.

It has always surprised me how HGSS is so louded and applauded for adding the Suicune plot, while ORAS added a brand new plot in honor of Rayquaza, and it recieves more critics.

ORAS added a whole new concept (Primal Reversion) to flesh out it's story and legendary lore, while HGSS didn't do anything to flesh out it's legendaries, yet it is more louded for recycling a plot from Crystal.

ORAS improved Gen 3's tedious surfing routes with turbo fast Sharpedo surfing and diving, while HGSS didn't even try to solve it's horrible level curve. There are many more examples, but my point is: the fans seem to prefer a remake that did nothing to solve it's original source problems, but added a copy pasted Battle Frontier from a game that came just before it and they are happy.

What I mean is, I think fans are not thinking carefully when saying they want Shinnoh remakes to be more like HGSS than ORAS. All ORAS did wrong is removing a few bits of content for stupid reasons, and while I understand why that enrages many, I think those little details are preventing them from seeing the whole picture of the games.

Last edited:
ORAS is a very well rounded and quality game and remake. It lacks one big thing, the Frontier, and a few minor things like gym leader rebattles. Besides said missing little thingies, the game is really great.

By the way, ORAS was the ideal oportunity to bring the Frontier back, and I think it's absence signifies it most surely will not be in the Shinnoh remakes either!

ORAS wasn't that great. A few good things that I like but a lot of things I didn't like. Unfortunately, I agree with you that the BF is likely to not appear in Sinnoh remakes. ORAS are not great games because they need improvements. I don't know how Z or whatever is going to make up for ORAS but if Game Freak continues making the games like ORAS, that shows that they don't care about their customers. I expect at least the Distortion World to return in DP remakes if no Battle Frontier.

ORAS are great games in most peoples eyes. You guys hating ORAS are the minority. Which doesn't mean you are wrong, but keep it in mind before hating.

I think DP remakes can be very good with or without the Frontier, especially since the Shinnoh one was already a step down from it's Hoenn cousin.

I hope they bring it back, but don't get too crazy about a single feature being in or out of the games. Especially one that has only appeared in 3 games!
I really do like ORAS but I feel that it was just missing one big thing that would've made it just a bit better. I think remakes I should be a celebration of all things from that respective region even HGSS included the Suicuine stuff even though it wasn't huge thing but it added great attention to detail. I want the D\P remakes to be the same way and include everything that Platinum had too

I completely agree the BF would have made ORAS a bit better, but I am not going to criticize them for that absence, until an other game has the Frontier.

It has always surprised me how HGSS is so louded and apploded for adding the Suicune plot, while ORAS added a brand new plot in honor of Rayquaza, and it recieves more critics.

ORAS added a whole new concept (Primal Reversion) to flesh out it's story and legendary lore, while HGSS didn't do anything to flesh out it's legendaries, yet it is more louded for recycling a plot from Crystal.

ORAS improved it's tedious surfing with turbo fast Sharpedo surfing and diving, while HGSS didn't even try to solve it's horrible level curve. There are many more examples, but my point is: the fans seem to prefer a remake that did nothing to improve from it's original source, but added a copy pasted Battle Frontier from a game that came just before it and thay are happy.
As I said Oras was just missing the cherries on top but it still managed to flush out its region something that remakes haven't done.
I just firmly believe that a remake should retain all the things its original counterpart had otherwise it gives players a sense of doubt in the back of their minds.
That's why people in this thread are worried that some things won't come back which makes GF look bad because we should expect more from them not less.

It has always surprised me how HGSS is so louded and apploded for adding the Suicune plot, while ORAS added a brand new plot in honor of Rayquaza, and it recieves more critics.

ORAS improved it's tedious surfing with turbo fast Sharpedo surfing and diving, while HGSS didn't even try to solve it's horrible level curve. There are many more examples, but my point is: the fans seem to prefer a remake that did nothing to improve from it's original source, but added a copy pasted Battle Frontier from a game that came just before it and thay are happy.
As I said Oras was just missing the cherries on top but it still managed to flush out its region something that remakes haven't done.
I just firmly believe that a remake should retain all the things its original counterpart had otherwise it gives players a sense of doubt in the back of their minds.
That's why people in this thread are worried that some things won't come back which makes GF look bad because we should expect more from them not less.

I think by admitting ORAS are the best remakes in terms of quality, and criticizing them for not having those (only few) cherries top of the cake, you are being completely reasonable and fair. But those little annoying absences in ORAS are completely confusing the fandom, making them think they are worst than HGSS. Just like the copy pasted Frontier from Platinum is confusing people with HGSS, making them think they are the best remakes.

And I just want to add 3 things:

- those few features taken from the game without a reason, are substituted for more features and brand new ones at that.

- FRLG didn't have the Battle Tower for no reason, so it's not like ORAS is the only remake not having a feature a past game did.

- HGSS only has the Shinnoh Battle Frontier, because it was lucky to come after Platinum. ORAS came after XY. So both remakes just got copy pasted Battle Facilities. HGSS just came out aftter the game with a better post game Facility.

Last edited:

I think by admitting ORAS are the best remakes in terms of quality, and criticizing them for not having those cherries top of the cake, you are being completely reasonable and fair. But those little annoying absences in ORAS are completely confusing the fandom, making them think they are worst than HGSS. Just like the copy pasted Frontier from Platinum is confusing people with HGSS, making them think they are the best remakes.
I was never critiquing the games but rather just GF in general for being their slothful selves. I like Oras because it opens the door to tons of new ideas ( since it established the Multi-verse) that concept is perfect because now anything goes especially since Kalos and Hoenn seem to have a history together now. This means that Z could be a spiritual successor to emerald while acting as a sequel to XY with elements from both games ( After all Brandon is looking for Volcanion) but if GF is tool lazy all this great build-up will go nowhere.

Somewhat diverting from the topic, but I feel it's kinda relevant to the discussion of fan reception and inclusion/exclusion of features in remakes that's going on.

Who are you guys talking about when talking about the fanbase? The people on this forum? The people on a combination of the most popular pokémon forums? The people who blog about the games or review them? Everyone who plays pokémon?

In case of that last one, it's pretty much impossible to claim anything about the fanbase, considering you don't exactly have access to their opinions

I'll admit, on here there seem to be quite a few people who don't like ORAS very much. Exact numbers of likers vs dislikers I wouldn't know, but at times it seems to be about equal (though what thread you visit matters as well) But that's such a small number compared to the people who play pokémon. In my direct surrounding, I know at least ten, and I think I'm the only one of them who's active on Bulbagarden. Most of them seem to really, really enjoy the games though and I've rarely heard them complain about a lack of certain features. Of course, that's only my experience, and someone else's might be entirely different

As for the Gen IV remakes... The one thing I'm really wondering is what they're going to do with Regigigas, now he's apparently locked up in Hoenn as well (though I think they should have locked him up in Shoal Cave tbh, all the way down in a secret part of the ice cave. But that's beside the point)

the Distortion World should def be in there as well, but if they don't want to mess too much with the original D/P's plot, they could always make it a post-game thing (which I absolutely wouldn't mind) I guess it also all depends on how they'll tie in mega evolution, and whether or not the Space-Time duo receives a Mega form (and also how they'll handle Giratina's alternate form)

Basically the fanbase is the general consensus that people have the issues going on currently. Almost everyone I know are really upset about how certain features are tossed and never expanded upon

Basically the fanbase is the general consensus that people have the issues going on currently. Almost everyone I know are really upset about how certain features are tossed and never expanded upon
anecdotal evidence is always something that must be treated cautiously. not only because it's the internet (yo, i work at GameFreak so.....), but also because everyone's experiences can vary. for example the Pokemon fans i know, don't even remember half of the stuff that's even appeared in the games. though there is a sizeable portion of fans that are disappointed, most notably internet fans, i don't think they represent a majority or perhaps even a significant minority within the community. even further, they're louder than their size would normally seem because they, both the fans and the people reading the comments, spend more time on the internet and invariably people talk negatively less than positively.

so yes there are people that are disappointed, but i don't think they're as big of a group in actuality as they may seem.

Last edited:
anecdotal evidence is always something that must be treated cautiously. not only because it's the internet (yo, i work at GameFreak so.....), but also because everyone's experiences can vary. the Pokemon fans i know, don't even remember half of the stuff that's even appeared in the games. though there is a sizeable portion of fans that are disappointed, most notably internet fans, i don't think they represent a majority or perhaps even a significant minority within the community. even further, they're louder than their size because they, both the fans and the people reading the comments, spend more time on the internet and invariably people talk negatively less than positively.

so yes there are people that are disappointed, but i don't think they're as big of a group in actuality as they may seem.
This is Criticism I've seen thrown at GF for years and one of the few I concur with. I think some features like walking with Pokémon should stay because there's a lot they can do that and it can add depth to the Pokémon.

This is Criticism I've seen thrown at GF for years and one of the few I concur with. I think some features like walking with Pokémon should stay because there's a lot they can do that and it can add depth to the Pokémon.
i'm not saying the criticism isn't valid, i'm saying that saying that (what a mouthful) "i see lots of people with this similar opinion" is a bit silly because anecdotal evidence typically does not accurately represent the real picture.

i'm not saying the criticism isn't valid, i'm saying that saying that (what a mouthful) "i see lots of people with this similar opinion" is a bit silly because anecdotal evidence typically does not accurately represent the real picture.

That's true! Although I'm hoping they bring back Walking with your Pokémon in Gen 7

SAs for the Gen IV remakes... The one thing I'm really wondering is what they're going to do with Regigigas, now he's apparently locked up in Hoenn as well (though I think they should have locked him up in Shoal Cave tbh, all the way down in a secret part of the ice cave. But that's beside the point)

The simplest way to handle Regigigas would be to simply keep the Regi chambers from Platinum and have them unlock post game instead of through an event. Then when you beat the game you can go around and catch the Regis, go to Snowpoint Temple, and then catch Regigigas.

I can't imagine they'll put the Distortion World in the main storyline, it'd steal focus from Dialga/Palkia. The Delta Episode approach would work just fine for the Distortion World, they could have a post game arc where you go to the Distortion World to catch Giratina and then maybe continue the story on Spear Pillar where you can catch Arceus.

I'm sorry but ORAS is far from being great despite what people think. The battle frontier wasn't the only thing left out, Gym leader rematches aren't available, Desert Underpass isn't there, Mirage Tower isn't in desert, no Trainer Hill, You only deal with with one evil team instead of both, Rival rematches after main story is not there, the battle of both mascot in Sootopolis did not happen, Terra/Marine cave isn't there, Match Call is absent and other things from Emerald that could have been incorporated.

Those things is what would make ORAS great but Game Freak didn't do this. DP remakes should not end up the same way as it. HGSS had got it right and I like FRLG a lot more. I would want Distortion World, gym leader rematches and the Charon at Stark Mountain post game in the game along with other Platinum elements. The Pokedex should be the expanded one from Platinum too.

I'm sorry but ORAS is far from being great despite what people think. The battle frontier wasn't the only thing left out, Gym leader rematches aren't available, Desert Underpass isn't there, Mirage Tower isn't in desert, no Trainer Hill, You only deal with with one evil team instead of both, Rival rematches after main story is not there, the battle of both mascot in Sootopolis did not happen, Terra/Marine cave isn't there, Match Call is absent and other things from Emerald that could have been incorporated.

I wouldn't say all of those specific inclusions matter too much, but the content in general is lacking. There's nothing to really explore after you beat the game, there aren't any side quests that unlock, and the Pokemon selection is a bit low for a 6th gen game (there's more Pokemon available in BW2 than ORAS, and about as many as the 4th gen games). ORAS' improvements were pretty much style over substance, they added some flashy gimmicks like Mega Evolution and Soaring, but they didn't really address any of the flaws of the originals like Pokemon distribution, region design, or post game content. DP remakes should be better off than ORAS if they take the same approach by virtue of the original DP being a significantly less flawed game. The region design and extra content are fine in DP, and while the Pokemon distribution is a bit lacking in DP, Platinum fixed it and Game Freak's approach to regional dexes in remakes makes it hard to believe that they'd cut that expansion.

The simplest way to handle Regigigas would be to simply keep the Regi chambers from Platinum and have them unlock post game instead of through an event. Then when you beat the game you can go around and catch the Regis, go to Snowpoint Temple, and then catch Regigigas.

I can't imagine they'll put the Distortion World in the main storyline, it'd steal focus from Dialga/Palkia. The Delta Episode approach would work just fine for the Distortion World, they could have a post game arc where you go to the Distortion World to catch Giratina and then maybe continue the story on Spear Pillar where you can catch Arceus.

I actually meant more along the lines of 'well, we had evidence that suggested the Hoenn people locked up the Regi's in the past in Hoenn, then moved Regigigas to Snowpoint, so it couldn't easily be awakened'. I mean, of course we got them all somewhat randomly in other games as well XD But in the Hoenn/Sinnoh games, they kinda tied the myths together, so I'm just wondering whether they'll ignore Regigigas' presence in ORAS or tweak the myth

And yeah, me neither, it would most definitely distract from the box mascots. But by the way some people are talking about the way Emerald was treated in ORAS (by not using elements from it at all) I'm just expecting backlash, no matter what

Those things is what would make ORAS great but Game Freak didn't do this. DP remakes should not end up the same way as it. HGSS had got it right and I like FRLG a lot more. I would want Distortion World, gym leader rematches and the Charon at Stark Mountain post game in the game along with other Platinum elements. The Pokedex should be the expanded one from Platinum too.
A game "being great" when it comes to Pokémon is entirely subjective. For some players, GSC/HGSS are the greatest Pokémon games, but for me they are the most mediocre titles in the series, for a number of reasons. In my opinion, ORAS was definitely lackluster in certain aspects. For example, the lack of character customization and the Battle Frontier (which was a defining feature in Gen 3) being my biggest issues with these games, but overall they still are the best remaked games in the series, by a huge margin. The improvements from RSE to ORAS are more meaningful than a few features they excluded from the remakes, I think.

Also, I don't know how someone can say HGSS got it right, when most of the issues with GSC are still present in HGSS. But to each their own, I guess.

Also, I don't know how someone can say HGSS got it right, when most of the issues with GSC are still present in HGSS. But to each their own, I guess.[/FONT]

A lot of the issues with GSC are inherent to the two region system so there's not much they could do about it. With that in mind, they did just about the best they could with it and it was the most well rounded of the current remakes improving in almost every area.

A game "being great" when it comes to Pokémon is entirely subjective. For some players, GSC/HGSS are the greatest Pokémon games, but for me they are the most mediocre titles in the series, for a number of reasons. In my opinion, ORAS was definitely lackluster in certain aspects. For example, the lack of character customization and the Battle Frontier (which was a defining feature in Gen 3) being my biggest issues with these games, but overall they still are the best remaked games in the series, by a huge margin. The improvements from RSE to ORAS are more meaningful than a few features they excluded from the remakes, I think.

Also, I don't know how someone can say HGSS got it right, when most of the issues with GSC are still present in HGSS. But to each their own, I guess.[/FONT]

HGSS got it right because they included some Crystal elements into the game. ORAS basically had nothing from Emerald. This is why I want DP remakes to follow HGSS example and include elements of Platinum. I know the Battle Frontier isn't going to return after that interview on how people wouldn't be interested or have time for it. But this doesn't mean they excluded other elements like gym leader rematches and Distortion World.

ORAS trimmed a lot of "useless fat" from Gen 3, a lot of things with no use in the new games like: berry blender game, Desert Underpass, Altering Cave, Sand Castle in the desert, etc. All those are pretty useless now, so there was no point in losing time to remake them. Instead, they COMPLETELY remade Mauville, added many small locations like Mirage Isles, etc. A whole storyline was added to Latios/Latias, a whole side plot has been given to contests, new npcs, a whole new concept like Primal Reversion, a whole post game Epidode, a brand new Battle Island, 20 new Megas, etc. A lot more was adeed, but people are whining about the exclusion of the berry blender. Trainer's Hill was substituted with Mauville Court, Gym leader rematches was substituted by Type Specialist rematches, and Secret Base rematches were added too. It's not like ORAS had a smaller content than Emerald...

It's just fans are like dogs. You give them a dog- toy to play with. Then you try to take it from them, to give them something better instead, and they bark at you, because they don't want to let go of the old, already chewed toy. I mean, that's completely logical: people want the NEWLY added content, AND the old content from Gen 3. But the reality is, GF don't want to waste too much time with Remakes. They can't take the same amount of time for remakes and new games. They could've gone the easy way, and just make an Emerald port without any new features, without a new Mauville city, without a Delta, but with the Frontier, etc and people wouldn't have criticized them. They just decided to take the difficult way and surprise fans with many new features, at the cost of some gen III features that they considered boring, taken from the games.

In HGSS they barely added new stuff, so they kept a lot more old stuff to compensate that lack of new features. In ORAS they added SO MANY new things (for a remake) that they deleted some pointless old stuff, to compensate. It only makes sense. But it seems people prefer to have less NEW stuff, but to not have the old stuff taken from their games. That actually makes sense. But please, don't say ORAS has less content. It just has less old features... because it has, much more NEW features.

PD Gen I remakes had a WHOLE region added. But the originals were so tiny, the addition was obligated.

So, which way will they take with Shinnoh remakes? I think they will take the ORway, but seeing how fans don't appreciate their intention to innovate and surprise us, they might go the HGSS way.

Last edited:
In HGSS they barely added new stuff, so they kept a lot more old stuff to compensate that lack of new features. In ORAS they added SO MANY new things (for a remake) that they deleted some pointless old stuff. It only makes sense. But it seems people prefer to have less NEW stuff, but to not have the old stuff taken from their games. That actually makes sense. But please, don't say ORAS has less content. It just has less old features... because it has, much more NEW features.
yeah...............no.

Content added by HGSS:
  • Pokéthlon
  • Mt. Silver Expansion
  • Routes 47 and 48
  • Re-addition of the Safari Zone
  • Restoration of Viridian Forest and Seafoam Islands
  • Battle Frontier
  • GB Sounds
  • Nature bonuses displayed
  • Kanto trainer rematches
  • Photo spots
  • Substantial plot changes and region redesign
  • Gym leader rematches
  • Apriblending
  • Pokemon following behind

Content added by ORAS:
  • Delta Episode
  • Mirage Spots
  • PokeNav Plus
  • Soaring
  • Cosplay Pikachu
  • Primal Reversion
  • Battle Resort
  • PokémonAmie
  • Super Training

these lists exclude "series staples," or features that were not present in the original but are now considered "standard" in a game and consequently were added because they must appear in future games. it also excludes Wi-Fi features. an example of this would be Running Shoes in HGSS and Mega Evolution in ORAS. of course, the amount of content added isn't the most important thing ever if the remake fails to address issues from its source. and that's the problem with ORAS: it failed to fix any of the problems that it inherited from Ruby and Sapphire. HGSS may not have fixed all of GSC's problems, but it made a solid effort at doing so.

Urgh, this again? Could y'all please stop dragging this into an ORAS vs HGSS cockfight? I don't give a flying fudge over whether you guys think ORAS was good or not, especially when the thread has next to nothing to do with it.

I'm kinda wondering about how contests in Sinnoh would be handled. Would they keep their more complicated three-act format, or would they get dumbed down a bit for the sake of convenience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom