• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue is the European brand name for Green, not a similar game. And Yellow elements wouldn't make FRLG less appealing.
Green and Blue are not the same games and Blue is not just a renaming of Green. the international Red and Blue versions are actually based off of the Japanese Blue version's engine with the same version exclusives as the original Red and Green.

as for adding Yellow features, there really aren't all that many. the only standout feature is the Pikachu following you, which, since you don't get one for free and they're fairly rare in Viridian Forest and you can't get them easily until the Power Plant (ie., after you fight Koga), becomes a greatly diminishing return. other features such as anime-based teams and being able to obtain all starters (like Ash in the anime) really blur the line between a Yellow remake or a Red and Green remake.

I agree, but Blue is still not a different game from Red and Green.

And you could have your starter to walk with you instead. I am sure Masuda thought about it but yet prefered to exclude ṭhe feature. Because it wasn't in RBG, I suppose.
It's still their sister game though and it fixed many of the glitches that the original. As for Yellow that's kind of been explained that it wouldn't make sense due to the massive nose dive the anime took in popularity .

Having your starter walking bahind you, would in no way have had a bad reception from fans, even if the anime was doing poorly.
But up until that point Pikachu was the only Pokémon that was capable of doing no other Pokémon could.

Making an overworld sprite for the starters wouldn't have supposed a big effort for them. But again, why, when it wasn't in the originals?
The only reason Pikachu followed the player was because it was a reference to Ash and his Pikachu and that's because Yellow was a Special edition of the gen 1 games not the third complete version ( Like Blue, Emerald, Platinum, etc) so it makes sense why non of the callbacks were kept because the game was about Red not Ash.

and other locations such as the Desert Underpass and Artisan Cave have become incredibly redundant in their original forms and would need some substantial overhaul so as to be at least only marginally redundant. (seriously, even with all the fossils available in it, the Desert Underpass would be so redundant thanks to the GTS and the fact that Glittering Cave does the same thing.)

The GTS isn't always reliable and not everyone gets past games.

and secondly, a remake of Emerald would practically just be a graphically updated port to the 3DS with some tweaking and modern generational features (ie., Mega Evolution, Day and Night, etc) added.

Which isn't that far off from what ORAS turned out to be anyway.

that is to essentially say that Emerald (and Platinum and other third versions) are already fairly complete games with few glaring issues and even fewer actually fixable issues. with RS (and other original pairs), there's at least the opportunity to take new approaches to fixing their original problems.

And what problems did ORAS actually fix? The post game content is still subpar. The Hoenn Dex is still imbalanced. The Water routes are still bland and hard to navigate (although they did make them slightly easier). None of the things that ORAS did were "solutions", they didn't fix any problems the original RS had, they're just neat extra features and generational improvements. And no, RSE's problems aren't unfixable. They just didn't want to fix them.

But I think his pride has to do with it too. He included the Suicune plot in HGSS only because it's probably something he came up with when making Crystal.

That wasn't Masuda, Morimoto directed HGSS.

I really don't think it should matter whether a game is 3rd version or not either way. Its perfectly valid source material because its effectively the same game with added polish and content. If anything you keep the things that it did better than the originals.

ORAS already saw fit to include Rayquaza's lore, the Deoxys encounter, Wallace's Championship team, and then reference several of the characters and features that were left out. So its not as if the 3rd part games don't have a place in the world of the Region.

The GTS isn't always reliable and not everyone gets past games.
and it's 2015 so if you really want to catch them all, you can figure out the internet and odds are you have both Gen VI games anyways. if not, tough titty, #tbh . from a business perspective, there's really little to no reason to add a certain feature just because some sap in Bumfuck Nowhere doesn't have internet access or both Gen VI games.

undeniably Desert Underpass and Artisan Cave would've added more immersion. at this point though, there's very little you can do to make them worthwhile since their primary functions (Fossils and Smeargle respectively) are infinitely more easily obtained than their were at the time of Emerald.

Which isn't that far off from what ORAS turned out to be anyway.
and i didn't say anything about what ORAS resulted in. #nice

And what problems did ORAS actually fix? The post game content is still subpar. The Hoenn Dex is still imbalanced. The Water routes are still bland and hard to navigate (although they did make them slightly easier). None of the things that ORAS did were "solutions", they didn't fix any problems the original RS had, they're just neat extra features and generational improvements. And no, RSE's problems aren't unfixable. They just didn't want to fix them.
i didn't say that ORAS addressed problems. a closer inspection would show that i said "there's at least the opportunity to take new approaches to fixing their original problems." in short, the original pairs offer more potential than the first remakes. by remaking a game like Platinum, you're locked into a very narrow selection; it's already a fairly good game and a result it would easily end up as, effectively, a port. with Diamond and Pearl, you can at least take new approaches and directions while also borrowing from Platinum.

The only reason Pikachu followed the player was because it was a reference to Ash and his Pikachu and that's because Yellow was a Special edition of the gen 1 games not the third complete version ( Like Blue, Emerald, Platinum, etc) so it makes sense why non of the callbacks were kept because the game was about Red not Ash.

Blue wasn't a third version, it was the US version of Green.

Anyway, Sinnoh remakes should have some stuff from Platinum as well as new stuff put in. I don't Kanto returning any time soon but it would eventually come back.

Blue wasn't a third version, it was the US version of Green.

Anyway, Sinnoh remakes should have some stuff from Platinum as well as new stuff put in. I don't Kanto returning any time soon but it would eventually come back.
Blue as released in Japan as the version that fixed most of the glitches and made a lot of the Pokémon look more appealing in-game. It's the true third version.

Blue as released in Japan as the version that fixed most of the glitches and made a lot of the Pokémon look more appealing in-game. It's the true third version.
No it isn't. It is basically the same as Green. Green was only in Japan while Blue was released with Red. Therefore it is not a third version but a replacement of Green version.

No it isn't. It is basically the same as Green. Green was only in Japan while Blue was released with Red. Therefore it is not a third version but a replacement of Green version.
Pokémon Blue is the third core series Pokémon game for Game Boy, released in Japan on October 15, 1996 exclusively to subscribers of CoroCoro Comic[1][2] and on October 10, 1999 to general retail[1][2] as a minor revision of Pokémon Red and Green Versions, which were released earlier that year

I'm wondering what the next handheld system will be. I happen to like my 3ds. I know it's reaching the end of it's "lifespan" but seriously, what could they replace it with?

I completely agree. The overall form of the 3DS is absolute perfection. They can make power boosts, make technical tweaks to improve it, but I can't see another successor that isn't just an upgraded 3DS.

It's extremely safe to say that 2 screens are here to stay. When they hit the DS, they hit the jackpot. I see every handheld of Nintendo's future being simply an improvement of the 3DS, while still basically being the same thing. Which I think is perfectly fine. They can improve the power and such. I mean, the Playstation and then all of its successors are pretty much the same, just with big power improvements over time.

Pokémon Blue is the third core series Pokémon game for Game Boy, released in Japan on October 15, 1996 exclusively to subscribers of CoroCoro Comic[1][2] and on October 10, 1999 to general retail[1][2] as a minor revision of Pokémon Red and Green Versions, which were released earlier that year

Incorrect again. Green only exists for Japan. Blue was made for the US to go with Red. Blue is not a third version game and Yellow is considered more of a special edition than third version game. Therefore Gen 1 had no third version games. The third version trend started with Crystal, carried on to Emerald and than to Platinum. Gen 5 had sequels instead of a third version. Gen 6 is likely to bring back the third version trend with Z. Blue is an exact copy of Green. End of discussion.

Incorrect again. Green only exists for Japan. Blue was made for the US to go with Red. Blue is not a third version game and Yellow is considered more of a special edition than third version game. Therefore Gen 1 had no third version games. The third version trend started with Crystal, carried on to Emerald and than to Platinum. Gen 5 had sequels instead of a third version. Gen 6 is likely to bring back the third version trend with Z. Blue is an exact copy of Green. End of discussion.

I honestly can't tell if you're just not understanding this, or if you're ignoring the facts being shown.

Various fixes in the game include a graphics and sound upgrade, as well as the removal of several known glitches that had been found in the original pair. Like its paired predecessors, it was never truly released outside of Japan; however, while Red and Green provided the wild Pokémon and game-exclusive Pokémon lists for the rest of the world's Pokémon Red and Blue, Blue provided the graphics, game engine, and script for translation.
-Pokémon Blue Version (Japanese) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

You may find that page helpful, especially the section titled "Changes from Red and Green":
Pokémon Blue Version (Japanese) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

tl;dr The order of game release goes as follows:
  • Japan gets Red/Green in Feb. of 1996
  • Japan gets Blue in Oct. 1996 (limited release)
  • America gets Red/Blue, based off of Japanese Blue, in Sep. 1998
    • Japan gets Yellow version in Sep. 1998
  • Japanese Blue gets a full release in Oct. 1999
    • America gets Yellow in Oct. 1999

Sources:
Pokémon Red and Green Versions - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
Pokémon Blue Version (Japanese) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
Pokémon Red and Blue Versions - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
Pokémon Yellow Version - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Um, Blue isn't an exact copy of Green. The original Japanese Blue (hence the female Adventures character being called Blue in the Japanese version of that Manga) was a essentially third version to Red & Green. R&G were available in Feb 1996, while Blue followed in Oct 1996. Over 2 years before the games would be changed to Red & Blue in translation and hit the States in Novemeber 1998, and Europe in October 1999.

More info on the Japanese blue differences here: Pokémon Blue Version (Japanese) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

edit: ah, ninja'd by poster above.

I honestly can't tell if you're just not understanding this, or if you're ignoring the facts being shown.

-Pokémon Blue Version (Japanese) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

You may find that page helpful, especially the section titled "Changes from Red and Green":

tl;dr The order of game release goes as follows:
  • Japan gets Red/Green in Feb. of 1996
  • Japan gets Blue in Oct. 1996 (limited release)
  • America gets Red/Blue, based off of Japanese Blue, in Sep. 1998
    • Japan gets Yellow version in Sep. 1998
  • Japanese Blue gets a full release in Oct. 1999
    • America gets Yellow in Oct. 1999

Sources:
Pokémon Red and Green Versions - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
Pokémon Red and Blue Versions - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
Pokémon Yellow Version - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Um, Blue isn't an exact copy of Green. The original Japanese Blue (hence the female Adventures character being called Blue in the Japanese version of that Manga) was a essentially third version to Red & Green. R&G were available in Feb 1996, while Blue followed in Oct 1996. Over 2 years before the games would be changed to Red & Blue in translation and hit the States in Novemeber 1998, and Europe in October 1999.

More info on the Japanese blue differences here: Pokémon Blue Version (Japanese) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

edit: ah, ninja'd by poster above.

Red and Blue came together in America while Green never got an international release. Third versions don't come out with one of the pair of games. Red and Blue were the pair that came together, therefore Blue cannot be a third version because Red isn't. I don't know where you guys are getting your facts but they are wrong. Crystal was the first third version game. Yellow was considered a special addition. Blue wasn't much different from Green. Blue had nothing in it to indicate being a third version but Crystal version did.

Also look at this: Pokémon Yellow and Pokémon Red & Blue
Serebii stated that Yellow was the third version of the gen 1 games. Red and Blue were the original pair of pokemon games of 1998.

Last edited:
There's a Japanese Blue that came out in mid 1996, this version fixed a lot of the problems that Red and Green had and is considered the true third game while Yellow is just a special edition based on the anime.
When Nintendo localized the games they used the sprites and workings of the Japanese Blue and launched it as Red and Blue version while Green wasn't used because Nintendo found that version unappealing at the time.

Red and Blue came together in America while Green never got an international release. Third versions don't come out with one of the pair of games. Red and Blue were the pair that came together, therefore Blue cannot be a third version because Red isn't. I don't know where you guys are getting your facts but they are wrong. Crystal was the first third version game. Yellow was considered a special addition. Blue wasn't much different from Green. Blue had nothing in it to indicate being a third version but Crystal version did.

Also look at this: Pokémon Yellow and Pokémon Red & Blue
Serebii stated that Yellow was the third version of the gen 1 games. Red and Blue were the original pair of pokemon games of 1998.
(emphasis mine)

I am now convinced that you haven't read either of our posts, considering both of us cited our information.

If you're going to continue ignoring people trying to correct you - go ahead, whatever floats your boat. But it's pretty obvious you aren't even reading the posts you're responding to.

There's a Japanese Blue that came out in mid 1996, this version fixed a lot of the problems that Red and Green had and is considered the true third game while Yellow is just a special edition based on the anime.
When Nintendo localized the games they used the sprites and workings of the Japanese Blue and launched it as Red and Blue version while Green wasn't used because Nintendo found that version unappealing at the time.

(emphasis mine)

I am now convinced that you haven't read either of our posts, considering both of us cited our information.

If you're going to continue ignoring people trying to correct you - go ahead, whatever floats your boat. But it's pretty obvious you aren't even reading the posts you're responding to.

I am not ignoring people, I am disagreeing with you because you are wrong. look at these links: Pokémon Yellow and Pokémon Red & Blue.
Blue is not a third version but a game that goes with Red in US version. Yellow is considered a third version by Serebii. What you and Desdar300 are saying is incorrect and I am here to set things straight. Blue is not a third version game, end of story.

I am not ignoring people, I am disagreeing with you because you are wrong. look at these links: Pokémon Yellow and Pokémon Red & Blue.
Blue is not a third version but a game that goes with Red in US version. Yellow is considered a third version by Serebii. What you and Desdar300 are saying is incorrect and I am here to set things straight. Blue is not a third version game, end of story.
It notes that Yellow was the fourth version in Japan though and that Red and Blue ( U.S versions) used the updates that were present in the Japanese Blue.

I will once again direct you to the following Bulbapedia page: Pokémon Blue Version (Japanese) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Pokémon Blue Version (Japanese: ポケットモンスター 青Pocket Monsters: Blue) is the third core seriesPokémon game for Game Boy, released in Japan on October 15, 1996 exclusively to subscribers of CoroCoro Comic[1][2] and on October 10, 1999 to general retail[1][2] as a minor revision of Pokémon Red and Green Versions, which were released earlier that year. It was thus the first solitary version in the core series Pokémon games.
Emphasis once again, mine.

If you will observe the list of games on the following Core Series page, you will see that Red and Green are listed as paired versions, with Japanese Blue listed with the "Solitary" i.e. standalone versions. This is the same category that Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and Platinum are categorized under.
Core series - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Red and Green are the original paired Pokemon games. Blue was released afterwards and with a number of improvements over those two - a feature it shares with its fellow Thirds. Again, a list of the changes can be found here:

A final quote:
When preparing the games for their English release, it was decided that Red & Green would be merged with Japan's already-released third version, Pokémon Blue, for its improved graphics, sound, and lack of easily-accessed gamebreaking glitches.
(source: Pokémon Red and Blue Versions - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia)

tl;dr:
Japanese Blue version = third version to Red/Green

Back on topic: DP remakes should be better done than the last remakes. It should included actually stuff from Platinum and introduce new features like ORAS did. If DP remakes ended up with nothing from Platinum like ORAS had nothing from Emerald then Game Freak is just not making good remakes anymore. Distortion World shouldn't be cut because it can be in post game and won't interfere with story. I hope gym leader rematches would be included but if Game Freak is following ORAS then we won't be seeing gym leader rematches again. I would like to see the expanded pokedex from Platinum because it gives the gym leaders and Elite Four more options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom