• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally loved the ORAS soundtrack (I admit I don't like what they did with the E4 theme, but I LOVE the gym battle theme!)

But I wouldn't mind seeing:
1. New apps for Poketch that are actually useful.
2. The Team Galactic plotline being improved upon.
3. The progression of events come faster, as in the originals everything was soooooooo slow and it took a lot of time to shlog through everything.
4. Better music (Yeah, the DPPt soundtrack is the only game soundtrack that I'm not fond of)
5. Arceus having a bigger role.

If they happen , hope it will be in or after gen VII games.
Hope they use the full potential of it.
And somehow do right with Castforms sand form, Kecleon mega with right speed,
Froslass and Jynx with right megas.

Last edited:
ORAS seemed to drop the ball on the soundtrack. It wasn't bad, it stayed true to an updated the original, but it was almost TOO similar. It's like they just took the MIDI files of the originals and added reverb for some pieces. That said, they did very well with some tracks in particular, notably the cave of origin and diving.

For any future gen IV game, I'd hope they strive a little more for a realistic sound. One piece in mind I really want to hear is the old chateau. The original was cool and creepy, and it could be even more so with real strings and voices (and yes, I'm pretty sure some of those sounds are supposed to be voices).
ORAS was sufficient. Yes it wasn't some bombastic ensemble that leads to the gates of heaven, but it was accurate and recreated Hoenn almost perfectly. People holding the ORAS soundtrack as disappointing and lackluster, but they forget or tend to ignore the fact that HGSS outside of some select tracks completely ruined the soundtrack of gsc.
I hope the Rotom formes are easier to access, y'know? Its annoying that the event was so limited when its not even a legendary pokemon. And doubly annoying cos there's a bit of Charon characterization hidden inside this event, and seriously the dude barely got any plot to begin with. Yeah.. I hope he comes back in the remake and they give him some sort of actual role instead of such an anticlimactic sidequest thingie. I wanna get a chance to kick the guy's butt in a boss battle, instead of him being defeated by someone else in a cutscene! And I dunno.. maybe he could be relevant to the main plot, or have more development, or have a cool redesign or who knows what? It's an exciting thought! But I'm worried he'll just be left out of the remake cos he was unpopular :(
...also I secretly hope maybe if he gets changed they change him to be more redeemable, instead of making him super Ghetsis-level detestable like he was in the manga. Whenever I like a villain I wanna see them become a good guy, even if its really unlikely lol!
A charon postleague plot akin to the Delta Episode is almost 100% likely. Hell, I would assume with the partner system for Eterna Forest, Iron Cave, Stark mountain, and the Shaymin Route, that the game will have a huge amount of post league episodes. Personally, I think out of all the remakes, or hell main entries, Sinnoh will become the most plot heavy regions. There is just so much there, its hard not to see them expanding it all. I'm not sure if I want them to be an overall arc, or if they are gonna be separate, but there is a huge amount of stuff they can do. Outside of Arceus, Shaymin and Darkrai should be their own subplots with no events, and Rotom should be an introduction to Charon as a deeper character with Stark Mountain a culmination of his character arc. Then there is stuff like Barry and his father Palmer they can sprinkle about, as well as the contrast with your mother the contest star.

All this is making me realize that Sinnoh is actually my favorite region, I never realized it, but yeah, all those characters and their quirks. I need it.
I personally loved the ORAS soundtrack (I admit I don't like what they did with the E4 theme, but I LOVE the gym battle theme!)

But I wouldn't mind seeing:
1. New apps for Poketch that are actually useful.
2. The Team Galactic plotline being improved upon.
3. The progression of events come faster, as in the originals everything was soooooooo slow and it took a lot of time to shlog through everything.
4. Better music (Yeah, the DPPt soundtrack is the only game soundtrack that I'm not fond of)
5. Arceus having a bigger role.
1. The Poketch with a color screen, and less bloatware would be nice. Also giving it some PokeNav functions would be nice.
2. Team Galactic was perfect. Maybe some deeper characterization of the admins, and perhaps giving Cyrus some motives behind his observation of the Twinleaf trio, but other then then that not a lot of tweaks are needed.
3. No way. Sinnoh and its pacing was excellent. What slowed thing down was the battles. If they had the battle speed of gen 6, then you would see what I mean.

3. No way. Sinnoh and its pacing was excellent. What slowed thing down was the battles. If they had the battle speed of gen 6, then you would see what I mean.
I humbly disagree with this one. Remember mt. coronet and the huge gap between gym 5, 6, 7, 8? Yeah....

Last edited:
ORAS was sufficient. Yes it wasn't some bombastic ensemble that leads to the gates of heaven, but it was accurate and recreated Hoenn almost perfectly. People holding the ORAS soundtrack as disappointing and lackluster, but they forget or tend to ignore the fact that HGSS outside of some select tracks completely ruined the soundtrack of gsc.

Are u talking about ORAS, or about the soundtrack of ORAS? Because ORAS is far better than just sufficient imo. About the soundtrack, I think it was... solid. Not perfect, but solid. I would give the game a 9. And for the soundtrack, maybe a 7.5, and I would rate it higher if it had some more strenght in a few select places.

I agree about HGSS though. Everybody praises them for the GB Sounds, and rightfully so, but they kinda HAD to give us the GB Sounds, cause the new soundtrack was very bland. ORAS didn't need a GBA Sounds, because the new soundtrack was good. (And I love how the Legendary themes are the exact, untouched original ones.)

I should say, however, that the Ho Oh theme in HGSS is on fire.

Last edited:
I humbly disagree with this one. Remember mt. coronet and the huge gap between gym 5, 6, 7, 8? Yeah....
Yes? That had to do with backtracking in some cases, or because the parts of the game were big. To deal with the pacing when it comes to places like Mt Coronet or Route 226/7 you would have to cut down the dungeon or route size. And there is no way in hell that would work, or be acceptable. The mt coronet summit climb was one of the most exciting moments of the games, if not the series. You actually had to work for the climax of the story.
Are u talking about ORAS, or about the soundtrack of ORAS? Because ORAS is far better than just sufficient imo. About the soundtrack, I think it was... solid. Not perfect, but solid. I would give the game a 9. And for the soundtrack, maybe a 7.5

I agree about HGSS though. Everybody praises them for the GB Sounds, and rightfully so, but they kinda HAD to give us the GB Sounds, cause the new soundtrack was very bland. ORAS didn't need a GBA Sounds, because the new soundtrack was good. (And I love how the Legendary themes are the exact, untouched original ones.)

I should say, however, that the Ho Oh theme in HGSS is on fire.
The soundtrack. Like I said, it recreated the soundtrack without many alterations and it works. And with HGSS, yes there are select tracks, I said that much. Its mostly on the battle side, which has a certain edge which is not fitting with the rest of the soundtrack,which had some off tempo beats and a general bubbly feel to it. How the hell we got the Ho-oh battlw music and Goldenrod in one game is beyond me.

The mt coronet summit climb was one of the most exciting moments of the games, if not the series. You actually had to work for the climax of the story.
Exciting ir no, it's a tedious dungeon that takes the fun out of the game. And if they could change mauville city drastically in oras, then why can't thay shorten route 217?

Last edited:
Yes? That had to do with backtracking in some cases, or because the parts of the game were big. To deal with the pacing when it comes to places like Mt Coronet or Route 226/7 you would have to cut down the dungeon or route size. And there is no way in hell that would work, or be acceptable. The mt coronet summit climb was one of the most exciting moments of the games, if not the series. You actually had to work for the climax of the story.

The soundtrack. Like I said, it recreated the soundtrack without many alterations and it works. And with HGSS, yes there are select tracks, I said that much. Its mostly on the battle side, which has a certain edge which is not fitting with the rest of the soundtrack,which had some off tempo beats and a general bubbly feel to it. How the hell we got the Ho-oh battlw music and Goldenrod in one game is beyond me.

I completely agree with you on both.

Exciting ir no, it's a tedious dungeon that takes the fun out of the game. And if they could change mauville city dratically in oras, then why can't thay shorten route 207?
Mean route 216/217, but the point remains the same. Mauville City is well, a city. You could argue that the Hoenn Sea is comparable, which did get a downsize and has fadter surfing speeds and lowered encounter rates, but even then that was a much bigger issue then the snow routes leading to snowpoint. Only change they could make that would make sense is faster walk speed in the snow. Not even gonna start arguing on downsizing Mt Coronet, because there really is no reason to. Its the games biggest landmarks, and one of the standout features of the generation. Its much more central to the story, and its existence is to be grand, imposing, and a testament to natures size.

but even thenthat was a much bigger issue then the snow routes leading tosnowpoint.
Oh no. Route 216/217 are both incredibely loooooooooong and empty routes with nothing but trainers and grass. Did you honestly had patience to walk through them?
Its much more central to the story, and its existence is to be grand, imposing, and a testament to natures size.
Just because it's the "central" to the story doesn't mean that they can't make it less confusing/downsize it. You're acting like you don't want them to touch sinnoh tbh.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie Gen 4 was not my favorite of the 6.......There I said it.....Compared to all the other games that usually take me a couple of months to beat if that long at all, it took me an entire year to beat Diamond.......Idk...at some point it just lost me, which is incredible as I love Pokemon and can't say that about any other main series game. It's not that I don't like the Pokemon that were introduced or that I didn't particularly like Sinnoh, there was just something about the games that didn't fully hook me in. I like the story over all, but I think my problem with Diamond and Pearl is that it felt like a chore to get through the region. By the time I trudged through Mt. Coronet I felt exhausted and the realized you need to trudge back through again later....One thing I think a remake can do is make it more enjoyable to go through all of the boring parts of the region. Another thing that I don't like the old Gen 4 games about is the pacing of the battles. I like the more recent pacing of battles as it doesn't feel like I'm waiting for a wall of text to finish before I can make the next move. I kno that's more or less an older generation thing in general, but it always bothered me. Finally another thing I don't like is the selection of Pokemon available. There are alomst no fire type Pokemon that I would have liked to use and the ones that I did were either the starter or Magmortar which I got from Battle Revolution instead of training up from Magby myself. I've tried replaying Diamond and I always get to a point where I say to myself "Wow......I remember why I don't really like this game again....." That notion again makes me sad bc I really do like a lot of the Gen 4 Pokemon, but I really hope a remake fixes some of the tedious feelings I got while playing at least.

I just want them to serve up the key changes in the music for different times of day, that was such a clever idea that should have never left the series -__-

Also, if there are any other generation legendaries, I need actual effort to be made with recreating the tracks. That copy & paste BS that happened in ORAS was downright lazy. Music helps create the atmosphere for a game, so it can't be an afterthought!

As for the episodes, I agree that Sinnoh should have multiple. Episode for the legendaries would be cool, but I think something along the lines of character episodes are sometimes more interesting and have actual substance rather than the flashy shock tactics of legendaries. The XY Looker missions are a perfect example of what I'm talking about, and with Looker being from DPPt, I'm sure he will get some type of focus again in the remakes.

Oh no. Route 216/217 are both incredibely loooooooooong and empty routes with nothing but trainers and grass. Did you honestly had patience to walk through them?

Just because it's the "central" to the story doesn't mean that they can't make it less confusing/downsize it. You're acting like you don't want them to touch sinnoh tbh.
I do want them to touch Sinnoh. But not if it deters from experiencing it how it was meant to be experienced. Mauville was expanded and made into an actual city, not a strip of buildings in a row. Mt Coronet should be 7 floors and have multiple entrances. Maybe they can cut down on the HMs, but that is all. I have bigger issues with other areas of the game, like the route leading to Sunnhshore. Now that's a dull root.

But not if it deters from experiencing it how it was meant to be experienced.
but what if a) how it was meant to be experienced is not what you think it is or b) GameFreak thinks Sinnoh should be experienced in a different way?

undeniably Sinnoh needs to be touched. its content is really clustered for a game. seriously. there's a shitton of shit 1-5, it starts to peter out around 6, and then by 7 and 8 there's virtually nothing. hell, even as you pointed out, Route 222 is really bland for a penultimate route. Sinnoh just needs to do something with it's design and routes because after Kanto, it is the second worst violator of Bland and WTP* Route Syndrome.

* - what's the point?

but what if a) how it was meant to be experienced is not what you think it is or b) GameFreak thinks Sinnoh should be experienced in a different way?

undeniably Sinnoh needs to be touched. its content is really clustered for a game. seriously. there's a shitton of shit 1-5, it starts to peter out around 6, and then by 7 and 8 there's virtually nothing. hell, even as you pointed out, Route 222 is really bland for a penultimate route. Sinnoh just needs to do something with it's design and routes because after Kanto, it is the second worst violator of Bland and WTP* Route Syndrome.

* - what's the point?

i wouldn't be surprised if they "rebooted" the region from scratch almost largely because of this issue

Sinnoh's design is pretty much perfect, it doesn't need any significant redesigns or simplification and if they do that, it ruins what made the region great in the first place which was open design and exploration, elements which are sorely lacking in the recent games. There's ways they can make things easier to get around like toning down HM usage and putting in extra healing spots, but I can't think of many areas in the game that would benefit from a design overhaul. As for Rt. 217, they could put a rideable Mamoswine there to make getting around easier.

Sinnoh's design is pretty much perfect, it doesn't need any significant redesigns or simplification and if they do that, it ruins what made the region great in the first place which was open design and exploration, elements which are sorely lacking in the recent games. There's ways they can make things easier to get around like toning down HM usage and putting in extra healing spots, but I can't think of many areas in the game that would benefit from a design overhaul. As for Rt. 217, they could put a rideable Mamoswine there to make getting around easier.
'open design and exploration' aren't worth a damn when over half of the routes are bland and even more on rails than future games. here's some fixes of the top of my head:

1) give Canalave City a facelift. it's supposed to be built on a canal.......BUT THERE ISN'T A FUCKING CANAL IN THE CITY. to fix this, i'd move the Pal Park (and associated Routes) from Sandgem to Canalave. this stops it from being a weird dead-end too. given that the Pal Park probably wouldn't exist, the other alternative would be to give it the Cianwood City treatment and put the entrance to the Great Marsh/Safari Zone there with Pal Park's routes (219-221).

2) give one of its cities the Mauville treatment; that is, make one of its cities (ideally Jubilife, Hearthome, or maybe even Veilstone) an 'it' city. every region has an 'it' city: it's typically the biggest city with the most to do in it. Kanto has Celadon City, Johto has Goldenrod, Hoenn has Mauville (though RSE!Hoenn suffered from this as well), Kalos has Lumiose, and Unova has Castelia.

3) give Routes 218, 222, and 223 a facelift. Route 218 is teased early in the game and then is such a massive let-down, especially coming after much more interesting routes like 210 and 212. and for the last couple of routes before the credits, 222 and 223 are bland. there should honestly be a land route inserted between 223 and the Pokemon League so that it doesn't fall into the same sort of 'last route is a straight water route' trap that Hoenn did.

4) destroy every HM. i'm obviously exaggerating, but Sinnoh really needs to have its HMs pared down. the fact that there are so many this game, and so many of them are one mandatory use (Defog, Rock Climb) is so stale.

5) if you're going to force backtracking, at least make it interesting.

Make Arceus and Darkrai catchable in a post game "Shadow chapter" or something with a new character related to Giratina's lore who isn't exactly evil but uses the wrong methods. And redesign Team Galactic a bit but maintaining its galacticness. Also Distortion World in 3D!!!!!!! :p :D

I think maybe they could solve the long routes issue by filling them with more stuff, instead of making them shorter. It was only a chore because those particular routes were kind of a plain row of battles with no exploration beyond puzzle-solving. The hugeness wasn't the problem, I feel!
So like.. spice them up with a more unique form of puzzle, or some fancy new visuals, or adding more stuff along the way instead of just fighting. Maybe more NPCs to talk to, or a sidequest along the way to keep it interesting? Stark Mountain was equally bland and puzzley to be honest, but having a partner character and a Team Galactic plot made it hard to even notice! And in platinum they gave it a visual spruce from default mountain tileset to a striking place of blackened earth contrasted against verdant grass patches blooming so close to a volcano. And they actually put some lava on it- that always bugged me, lol! If the third version could improve a bland area that much, imagine how much more interesting it could look with the graphical leap we have today~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom