• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pokemon models are there, it's just a matter of Game Freak making walking animations for them as Chunsoft did for Super Mystery Dungeon.
I hope you realize that the walking pokemon models from SMD were literally the only models(i.e. there are no humans in the game) that were actually moving in SMD, whereas the main series games have on average 400+ moving human models and pokemon models/sprites, and creating npc models and programming dialogues to them also takes a lot of time,meaning that Game freak would probably not have the time to create 400+ moving human models and 700+ moving pokemon models. So i don't think you can use SMD as an excuse to justify walking pokemon returning in the main series.

Last edited:
I want walking pokemon just to see them try to include Alolan Exeggutor.

And people just because you didn't like them slacking off on ORAS doesn't mean you should be so hard on people wanting better for DP remakrs.

Last edited:
whereas the main series games have on average 400+ moving human models and pokemon models

Well, yes and no. There's maybe that many in the game, but 90% of them are essentially copied and pasted. There's only around maybe 50 unique models (if you have a more specific number and source, I'd welcome it haha), and the rest are copy-pasted versions of those.

are essentially copied and pasted.
Some models might be copy pasted, but their dialogues definetely don't. Like i said earlier, it takes to time to programm dialogues/models on a game, and even if they copy pasted some models, they still need to work on their dialogues.

Some models might be copy pasted, but their dialogues definetely don't. Like i said earlier, it takes to time to programm dialogues/models on a game, and even if they copy pasted some models, they still need to work on their dialogues.

Dialogues aren't exactly comparable to walking Pokemon/3D models, however. Programming dialogue, while it takes time to think of what they will say and write it down, is relatively quick on the programming end (again, after writing).

Walking Pokémon would be an awesome return. Who doesn't want your most favorite Pokémon following right behind you? :LOL:

That'd be nice, but I doubt it'd happen...

Earlier I've made up a list of the Pokemon they've shown in the overworld in the 3D games.

X/Y: Rhyhorn, Lapras, Snorlax, Mewtwo, Marill, Lucario, Mamoswine, Fletchling, Litleo, Skiddo, Furfrou, Espurr, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde.

Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire: Machoke, Poochyena, Zigzagoon, Beautifly, Wingull, Whismur, Skitty, Sharpedo, Wailmer, Altaria, Kecleon, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza.

Sun/Moon: Meowth, Slowpoke, Tauros^, Lapras^, Corsola, Delibird, Miltank, Sharpedo^ Luvdisc, Finneon, Stoutland^, Rowlet*, Litten, Popplio*, and Rockruff, and Mudsdale^.

* = While not shown, they should appear if Hau chooses them, then again... they do appear outside of their PokeBalls when being introduced to us.
^ = I'm not sure if these should count, especially since they have gear on them.

It's interesting to note that the Pokemon that can logically only travel through water has only been shown on or in the water - Lapras, Sharpedo, Wailmer, Luvdisc, Kyogre, and Finneon. Perhaps those Pokemon would be excluded from the walking Pokemon feature if it's ever brought back? I'd imagine they wouldn't want to have fish Pokemon floating around in the overworld, battles are a different story.
  • Tentacool, Tentacruel, Horsea, Seadra, Goldeen, Seaking, Magikarp, Gyarados, and Lapras.
  • Lanturn, Qwilfish, Remoraid, Mantine, and Kingdra.
  • Carvanha, Sharpedo, Wailmer, Wailord, Barboach, Whiscash, Feebas, Huntail, Gorebyss, Relicanth, Luvdisc, and Kyogre.
  • Finneon, Lumineon, and Mantyke.
  • Basculin and Alomomola.
  • Bruxish and Wishiwashi.

Total would be 33 for now.

Either way, it'd be best to just limit it to the starters and a few other Pokemon (Pikachu line, Eevee line, Clefairy line, Jigglypuff line, Riolu line) if it's ever brought back.

Last edited:
It's interesting to note that the Pokemon that can logically only travel through water has only been shown on or in the water - Lapras, Delibird, Sharpedo, Wailmer, Luvdisc, Kyogre, and Finneon. Perhaps those Pokemon would be excluded from the walking Pokemon feature if it's ever brought back? I'd imagine they wouldn't want to have fish Pokemon floating around in the overworld, battles are a different story.

Water-based Pokémon walking on land in HGSS bothered me so much more than it probably should have.

Side-note, why would Delibird only be able to travel through water? It's a penguin...

This is a moot question though, because you can manage to spot a Delibird standing on land in the overworld in one of the recent trailers (it's around 24 seconds in; look behind the Skull grunt and to the left of the NPC).

Either way, it'd be best to just limit it to the starters and a few other Pokemon (Pikachu line, Eevee line, Clefairy line, Jigglypuff line, Riolu line) if it's ever brought back.

I'd be down for that. Amity Square all over again but not relegated to a specific location. But still, one has to wonder if Amity Square was like a beta test for overworld partner Pokemon in HGSS. I still have to believe that it's not as impossible as you all make it out to be, but I'd be fine with either, I guess.

Water-based Pokémon walking on land in HGSS bothered me so much more than it probably should have.

Side-note, why would Delibird only be able to travel through water? It's a penguin...

This is a moot question though, because you can manage to spot a Delibird standing on land in the overworld in one of the recent trailers (it's around 24 seconds in; look behind the Skull grunt and to the left of the NPC).

Oh, whoops! Didn't mean to put him there.

Walking Pokémon would be an awesome return. Who doesn't want your most favorite Pokémon following right behind you? :LOL:

When has it ever been your "most favorite Pokemon"? It's always been the one at the top of the party. My most favorite Pokemon (Cubone) is one I've never really used in battle, so I've never really had the opportunity to have it following me thanks to the way they programmed that feature. =/

Either way, it's a gimmicky feature that pales in comparison to Pokemon Amie and I'd rather them focus on something else. Honestly, in games they've added it, I've just wanted to turn it off.

Speaking of the topic at hand, I really don't think Generation IV should be remade. I already found Gen III to be questionable, but this is taking it too far in my opinion. These games are on the DS, which Black and White are also on, meaning that if you remake them, then you'd have to remake those as well. Because honestly, they're not really all that dissimilar. Gens IV and V are pretty close in terms of aesthetics and features, which are basically the main reasons I'd see for a remake. But Diamond, Pearl, and to a much further extent Platinum, are the games I consider to have ushered in the true modern era of Pokemon. They can still be played and enjoyed by a modern player of X/Y or ORAS if they don't mind sprites, as they retain all the essential features. There isn't much of a need in my opinion to shoehorn things like the Fairy-type in my opinion, as I don't think it would change the one-player experience significantly.

However, I wouldn't be opposed to a sequel showing vast changes in region and story made this Gen. Or what I think would be a better idea is to just re-release them (and other older games in the future) for the E-shop with trading capability and ability to transfer up to a recent Generation much more easily, as they did with RBY.

Ever since Generation VII has been announced, people have been speculating that there will be Diamond and Pearl remakes this generation. I think this is will not be happening, and I have some evidence to support this.
  • A remake and its original have never been playable on the same system. For example, you can't play R/G/B/Y on a Game Boy Advance, which FR/LG are playable on, and you can't play G/S/C on a DS on 3DS, which HG/SS are playable on.
  • There has never been more than 1 remake on a handheld. This is also the reason why we never got R/S/E remakes during Generation V.
So, are we doomed to have another year without a game(like 2015)? Probably not! I theorize that we will get R/G/B/Y remakes instead(although this kinda breaks both of the rules above)! After all, it is the series 20th anniversary, why not have a visit to Kanto once more?

I agree that the originals and remakes have not been on the same console but it is not impossible either. Just very unlikely. And I don't want Kanto to be remade or have sequels. RBY are on virtual console for anniversary so people can just get that. Kanto remakes/sequels are more unlikely than Sinnoh remakes in my opinion.

Can't really vote for any of the options. I don't think that we are in for another hiatus, but I also don't think that we will be getting Sinnoh or Kanto remakes, either.

Nevertheless, I would like to think that we will see Sinnoh remakes eventually, although I acknowledge that there are several logistical kinks to work out before that can happen.

why not have a visit to Kanto once more?

I can think of a few reasons. First being that they have already been remade, and the reasoning for remaking them again largely boils down to "just because." Second being that they also just got recently released on the Virtual Console. Third being that we visited Kanto in four consecutive generations, which is still more than any other region has been visited. Kanto has certainly had its share of the limelight and then some. Fourth, the Generation I Pokémon already seem to be getting preferential treatment with the Alola Forms, and you can count on there being plenty of references of to RGBY in SM. Fifth, XY were already a sort of hybrid of a new generation pair and a Kanto remake, with new forms being given to the Gen I Starters and many of RGBY's narrative beats being recycled. And sixth, well... frankly, I just think Kanto is kind of boring, even without the overexposure. Sure, it's where the series started, and it does have an elegant sort of simplicity to it. But I think pretty much every set of new game that have followed have only improved upon its formula and have yielded a more robust and entertaining experience. Though that's just my opinion, of course.

I suppose that the hypothetical Kanto sequels are still an option, and that would at least be a more worthwhile endeavor than re-remakes would be. However, I still have my doubts that they would actually modify Kanto as much as it would need to be modified in order to feel more fleshed-out and interesting. Game Freak have thus far been rather conservative in their approach to revsiting old regions.

Can't really vote for any of the options. I don't think that we are in for another hiatus, but I also don't think that we will be getting Sinnoh or Kanto remakes, either.

Nevertheless, I would like to think that we will see Sinnoh remakes eventually, although I acknowledge that there are several logistical kinks to work out before that can happen.

I can think of a few reasons. First being that they have already been remade, and the reasoning for remaking them again largely boils down to "just because." Second being that they also just got recently released on the Virtual Console. Third being that we visited Kanto in four consecutive generations, which is still more than any other region has been visited. Kanto has certainly had its share of the limelight and then some. Fourth, the Generation I Pokémon already seem to be getting preferential treatment with the Alola Forms, and you can count on there being plenty of references of to RGBY in SM. Fifth, XY were already a sort of hybrid of a new generation pair and a Kanto remake, with new forms being given to the Gen I Starters and many of RGBY's narrative beats being recycled. And sixth, well... frankly, I just think Kanto is kind of boring, even without the overexposure. Sure, it's where the series started, and it does have an elegant sort of simplicity to it. But I think pretty much every set of new game that have followed have only improved upon its formula and have yielded a more robust and entertaining experience. Though that's just my opinion, of course.

I suppose that the hypothetical Kanto sequels are still an option, and that would at least be a more worthwhile endeavor than re-remakes would be. However, I still have my doubts that they would actually modify Kanto as much as it would need to be modified in order to feel more fleshed-out and interesting. Game Freak have thus far been rather conservative in their approach to revsiting old regions.

They've been progressively less and less conservative with each remake though. FRLG was mainly a copy/paste job with a post game quest tacked on. HGSS kept the core experience mainly the same but tacked on some extras and fleshed out the characters, lore, and storyline a bit, and ORAS has added new forms to the game. A fleshed out sequel isn't exactly a far cry from what they've done recently, the kind of fleshing out that Kanto needs has mostly been done before in remakes. We've already seen improvements to the content and lore in other remakes, the only thing they haven't done yet is improve regional dexes (HGSS and ORAS did throw in a few cross gen evolutions to their regional dexes, but they haven't really made the kind of improvement they need to with the older regional dexes which is to fix type variety problems), and even then with SM introducing regional variants that might not be too Farfetch'd either.

And yeah, I also think it's likely that 2017 will be neither a remake nor a hiatus, so this poll is lacking. We'll probably get remakes a few years later most likely, I could see DP remakes coming in 2019/2020.

I honestly see DP remakes (or even Platinum, as they want to surprise us) coming out next year... might just be my nostalgia talking though, Diamond was my first. :p

It is true that they usually put remakes on new game systems. However, patterns have broken and Game Freak has surprise us. It is unlike for DP remakes to be on 3DS but it is not impossible either. As long as there is a chance then anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom