• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
They could simul DP remakes on the 3DS and Switch next year, and then do Gen VIII Switch games in 2018.

I think the matter of DPP's current playability is 1) fairly subjective and 2) not really that relevant in the grand scheme of things. If DP remakes are convenient to their plan and their schedule, then they're going to get made regardless of them being playable on the 3DS.

I also think the mechanics that have been introduced since Gen IV would completely change the landscape of the Sinnoh games, enough to the point that remakes could be interesting without feeling redundant. You have:

- Beautiful graphics, just imagine the Distortion World
- The hardware to make DP's Secret Bases not suck (picture the Festival Plaza, except underground)
- Vastly improved Internet functions so all those pioneer Wi-Fi features can be done justice
- Fairy Types be nerfin' Cynthia's Garchomp and the mascot dragons
- Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves which would significantly change how the battles handle
- They could make Sinnoh Forms of naturally Alolan/Kalosian/Unovan Pokémon in order to fix DP's awful distribution (although ORAS has me inclined to believe that they wouldn't do this)
- Poké Ride or something like it could help to do away with DP's ridiculous HM requirements (though again, ORAS's precedent casts some doubt on this point)
- DP was in general very rough and clunky and in desperate need of a sprucing up; personally I don't think Platinum went far enough

On top of that, here are just a few other notes:

- Shellos/Gastrodon exist which invites a comparison to regional variants
- The games focus heavily on dimensions which practically screams, "Ultra Beasts!" (Yes this wouldn't make chronological sense with SM, but neither did the way ORAS handled Mega Evolution)
- They also have Team Galactic trying to recreate the universe; meanwhile, we just played SUN and MOON, this stuff writes itself
- Dialga/Palkia could receive Primal Reversions so as to do something else with that mechanic; they even have their own signature Orbs (they don't even have to change them from Key Items to Held Items this time)
- Oh, is that a Rotom Pokédex in SM? Now where did Rotom originate...?
- Silvally and the obvious comparisons to Arceus
- Munchlax got Torchic'd with a special Z-Move
- Day/night encounters are back, and Gen IV was previously the last generation to feature them (also day/night music seems to be back, at least in certain areas, judging by the demo)
- The Solcaeon Ruins are a nice place to dump the pesky Unown for Gen VII National Dex completeion purposes
- Move Tutors are already there, ready and waiting to teach our new Alolan friends
- Signature Z-Moves are actually the perfect solution to the big problem I had with giving the Sinnoh Starters their own Mega Evolutions, which is, at least in my opinion, that they are already very full, complete concepts. But you give them their own Z-Moves and you could have Torterra unleashing some straight-up Gaia's Vengeance mess [Wood Hammer], Infernape going full Sun Wukong [Close Combat], and Empoleon dropping a huge Poseidonic tidal wave on a fool [Hydro Pump]
- Introduce "Gym Tests" as an answer to the Island Trials; basically you keep the trials themselves but replace the Totem Pokémon with the Gym Leaders.

1. Roark's testing ground would obviously be the Oreburgh Mine
2. Gardenia gets the Eterna Forest, asks you to find the source of some rambunctious Ghost Type Pokémon (and while we're at it, let's insert Trevenant/Gourgeist into the Pokédex here, since Gardenia wondered before about a Grass/Ghost Type Pokémon)
3. Fantina's a dancer and a Coordinator so she could put you through a Kiawe-esque quiz
4. Don't know about Maylene. Maybe they'd restructure Veilstone to be more accommodating of a test.
5. Wake. Wrestling match. But not really. Probably something to do with the Great Marsh.
6. Byron tests your knowledge at the Canalave Library
7. Candice could have something at the Snowpoint Temple
8. Volkner, I don't know, flesh out the Sunyshore lighthouse or something.

Edit: I should say that I currently expect precisely none of this to happen other than the first sentence (but with the fourth and fifth words omitted).

Last edited:
I actually think that we'll see another break year in 2017. Sun and Moon feels so bloated, it feels like they went all out. So why not take a break in 2017, work on the Sinnoh remakes for 2018 and make it spectacular?!

It's a weird. On the one hand: I think taking the time to make the game later would probably make a better game, especially if it's after gen 8 on the Switch. On the other hand I'd be so hype for Sinnoh with S/M graphics and engine and systems and everything and aaahhhhh!

Ehem.

I think that would be cool. But whatever.

Game Freak are not going to make Sinnoh remakes until there is a demand high enough for them, though. Masuda said they made ORAS due to how huge the demand was (ORAS confirmed reached a massive meme status), especially on Twitter. And as far as I know, the demand for Sinnoh remakes is not nearly as high. At least currently.

Also, we have VC releases now. ORAS was developed before the VC became a thing in Pokemon. So, we don´t know if they will continue to make remakes after the VC has become a way of bringing classic Pokemon games to new hardware, and even make them compatible with the current games in terms of trading.

I actually think that we'll see another break year in 2017. Sun and Moon feels so bloated, it feels like they went all out. So why not take a break in 2017, work on the Sinnoh remakes for 2018 and make it spectacular?!
Don't want another break. We already had one after ORAS. They probably worked hard on SM but I doubt they went all out. There is still a chance in 2017. Plus it makes more sense to take a break when they are working on gen 8.

It's a weird. On the one hand: I think taking the time to make the game later would probably make a better game, especially if it's after gen 8 on the Switch. On the other hand I'd be so hype for Sinnoh with S/M graphics and engine and systems and everything and aaahhhhh!

Ehem.

I think that would be cool. But whatever.
I Agree!!

They could simul DP remakes on the 3DS and Switch next year, and then do Gen VIII Switch games in 2018.

I think the matter of DPP's current playability is 1) fairly subjective and 2) not really that relevant in the grand scheme of things. If DP remakes are convenient to their plan and their schedule, then they're going to get made regardless of them being playable on the 3DS.

I also think the mechanics that have been introduced since Gen IV would completely change the landscape of the Sinnoh games, enough to the point that remakes could be interesting without feeling redundant. You have:

- Beautiful graphics, just imagine the Distortion World
- The hardware to make DP's Secret Bases not suck (picture the Festival Plaza, except underground)
- Vastly improved Internet functions so all those pioneer Wi-Fi features can be done justice
- Fairy Types be nerfin' Cynthia's Garchomp and the mascot dragons
- Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves which would significantly change how the battles handle
- They could make Sinnoh Forms of naturally Alolan/Kalosian/Unovan Pokémon in order to fix DP's awful distribution (although ORAS has me inclined to believe that they wouldn't do this)
- Poké Ride or something like it could help to do away with DP's ridiculous HM requirements (though again, ORAS's precedent casts some doubt on this point)
- DP was in general very rough and clunky and in desperate need of a sprucing up; personally I don't think Platinum went far enough

On top of that, here are just a few other notes:

- Shellos/Gastrodon exist which invites a comparison to regional variants
- The games focus heavily on dimensions which practically screams, "Ultra Beasts!" (Yes this wouldn't make chronological sense with SM, but neither did the way ORAS handled Mega Evolution)
- They also have Team Galactic trying to recreate the universe; meanwhile, we just played SUN and MOON, this stuff writes itself
- Dialga/Palkia could receive Primal Reversions so as to do something else with that mechanic; they even have their own signature Orbs (they don't even have to change them from Key Items to Held Items this time)
- Oh, is that a Rotom Pokédex in SM? Now where did Rotom originate...?
- Silvally and the obvious comparisons to Arceus
- Munchlax got Torchic'd with a special Z-Move
- Day/night encounters are back, and Gen IV was previously the last generation to feature them (also day/night music seems to be back, at least in certain areas, judging by the demo)
- The Solcaeon Ruins are a nice place to dump the pesky Unown for Gen VII National Dex completeion purposes
- Move Tutors are already there, ready and waiting to teach our new Alolan friends
- Signature Z-Moves are actually the perfect solution to the big problem I had with giving the Sinnoh Starters their own Mega Evolutions, which is, at least in my opinion, that they are already very full, complete concepts. But you give them their own Z-Moves and you could have Torterra unleashing some straight-up Gaia's Vengeance mess [Wood Hammer], Infernape going full Sun Wukong [Close Combat], and Empoleon dropping a huge Poseidonic tidal wave on a fool [Hydro Pump]
- Introduce "Gym Tests" as an answer to the Island Trials; basically you keep the trials themselves but replace the Totem Pokémon with the Gym Leaders.

1. Roark's testing ground would obviously be the Oreburgh Mine
2. Gardenia gets the Eterna Forest, asks you to find the source of some rambunctious Ghost Type Pokémon (and while we're at it, let's insert Trevenant/Gourgeist into the Pokédex here, since Gardenia wondered before about a Grass/Ghost Type Pokémon)
3. Fantina's a dancer and a Coordinator so she could put you through a Kiawe-esque quiz
4. Don't know about Maylene. Maybe they'd restructure Veilstone to be more accommodating of a test.
5. Wake. Wrestling match. But not really. Probably something to do with the Great Marsh.
6. Byron tests your knowledge at the Canalave Library
7. Candice could have something at the Snowpoint Temple
8. Volkner, I don't know, flesh out the Sunyshore lighthouse or something.

Edit: I should say that I currently expect precisely none of this to happen other than the first sentence (but with the fourth and fifth words omitted).
THOSE ARE A-L-L BRILLIANT IDEAS!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't want another break. We already had one after ORAS. They probably worked hard on SM but I doubt they went all out. There is still a chance in 2017. Plus it makes more sense to take a break when they are working on gen 8.
Some quotes from the recent GameXplain interview:
"...,but I can say that the team put in their all with this game,..."
"We really want this to be a game that people enjoy for a long time..."

So it makes sense for 2017 to be a break year:
- New Nintendo Switch Pokemon game(s), Generation 8, for 2018.
- Big main game and/or post game which was made to keep us busy for months
- 1997 and 2007 were both gap years. So every year ending in a 7 has been a gap year. 2017 won't be any different.
- The team gave its all for Sun and Moon.

Some quotes from the recent GameXplain interview:
"...,but I can say that the team put in their all with this game,..."
"We really want this to be a game that people enjoy for a long time..."

So it makes sense for 2017 to be a break year:
- New Nintendo Switch Pokemon game(s), Generation 8, for 2018.
- Big main game and/or post game which was made to keep us busy for months
- 1997 and 2007 were both gap years. So every year ending in a 7 has been a gap year. 2017 won't be any different.
- The team gave its all for Sun and Moon.
Actually it doesn't. A break only occurs after two pair of main games have been done. This happen with gen 6. And no, we are not getting gen 8 after SM. One more pair of games will happen before a new gen is made. Whether or not it is DP remakes is yet to be decided.

Actually it doesn't. A break only occurs after two pair of main games have been done. This happen with gen 6. And no, we are not getting gen 8 after SM. One more pair of games will happen before a new gen is made. Whether or not it is DP remakes is yet to be decided.
That is completely false. There was a break in 2003 which came after only one pair of main games. The same situation happened in 2007.

In fact, there were break years in 2001, 2003, 2005 and 2007. This all based on Japan's release dates which are the most important dates to consider.

That is completely false. There was a break in 2003 which came after only one pair of main games. The same situation happened in 2007.

In fact, there were break years in 2001, 2003, 2005 and 2007. This all based on Japan's release dates which are the most important dates to consider.
Maybe but a gen with only two games would be bad in my opinion.

Maybe but a gen with only two games would be bad in my opinion.
A generation with only two games would have more money, resources, time and work put into it than a generation with three or four games. So it'll be more high quality in my opinion.

So that's why I see Diamond and Pearl remakes or even a Platinum remake in 2018 which will begin Generation 8.

Game Freak are not going to make Sinnoh remakes until there is a demand high enough for them, though. Masuda said they made ORAS due to how huge the demand was (ORAS confirmed reached a massive meme status), especially on Twitter. And as far as I know, the demand for Sinnoh remakes is not nearly as high. At least currently.

Indeed, the demand for Sinnoh remakes has only just surfaced and it hasn't gotten to the point where it's noticeable for Game Freak. So it's too early for them to release a Sinnoh remake. They might be thinking about ideas, but they're probably not making the game yet. The demand does tend to grow as the years go by though, Hoenn remakes weren't really talked about much after HGSS either but as we progressed through 5th and 6th gen the demand for Hoenn remakes grew louder and louder. Just wait, a few years from now we'll all be sick of people asking for Sinnoh remakes.

Also, we have VC releases now. ORAS was developed before the VC became a thing in Pokemon. So, we don´t know if they will continue to make remakes after the VC has become a way of bringing classic Pokemon games to new hardware, and even make them compatible with the current games in terms of trading.

The point of a remake isn't just to bring the games back though, it's to update them. A VC release isn't going to have the same level of attention as a shiny new game that fits in with the current generation.

A generation with only two games would have more money, resources, time and work put into it than a generation with three or four games. So it'll be more high quality in my opinion.

So that's why I see Diamond and Pearl remakes or even a Platinum remake in 2018 which will begin Generation 8.

Game Freak cares about money, not quality. If they can put out a cheap game and make tons of money on it, they'd rather do that than constantly having to give it their all for a game that might not sell as well. With that in mind, it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to launch Gen 8 on a new console with a remake, it's more expensive to make and remakes always sell less than generation debut games. Game Freak will probably want to reuse Sun and Moon's engine for another game since they put so much effort into it, it'd be a cheap way to squeeze out some extra sales. If DP remakes are coming next year (which I doubt, but for the sake of argument), they'll be on 3DS. You can pretty much guarantee that.

And what's with DP in 2006? 2005 was a gap year, as well as 2007. Also not after always two pairs or let's better say releases. Platinum, HG/SS and BW came out in 3 straight years.

Bad argument.

No it doesn't. A generation with more than two games make more money. And no, it won't be more high quality. SM hasn't come out yet so we can't decide if they are truly great. DP remakes could happen in gen 8 but it is not confirmed that they won't be in gen 7 either.

Oh yeah, and if they do include Sinnoh Forms in this game, I want to see Bug/Dragon Sinnoh Flygon. Sinnoh could use more Dragons (as well as something unique to put on Rt. 212), and Bug/Dragon would be a new type combination. Perfect addition to the game.

If I am correct in my theory, if they release GSC on VC next year and DPPt remakes in 2018, we're probably going to get many megas from Johto and Sinnoh...

Are they even making new Megas anymore? There don't seem to be any in Sun and Moon, it's all about Alola forms.

Are they even making new Megas anymore? There don't seem to be any in Sun and Moon, it's all about Alola forms.

That's why I said in 2018...

If I could choose, I'd remove Mega and Alolan forms altogether from the games. But I can't.
Also, I doubt they will leave only those megas we know as the only existing megas, so we're definitely getting more.

For ALOLAN forms, I can see they not adding more, but I'm more inclined to thinking they will change the name (since we're not going to stay in ALOLA forever) and keep adding more Pokémon.

Alolan forms are also called regional variants, which could be used for other regions.

That said, Generation IV Pokemon getting "Sinnoh forms" would be quite silly. They would need to use a different concept to justify their emergence in Sinnoh (rather than another region).

I don't think we would get anymore regional variants. Mega evolution maybe but regional variants seem to be Alola only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom