• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I am correct in my theory, if they release GSC on VC next year and DPPt remakes in 2018, we're probably going to get many megas from Johto and Sinnoh...
Either that or More Regional Variants(Aka Alola forms Except not Limited to Alola)
That's why I said in 2018...

If I could choose, I'd remove Mega and Alolan forms altogether from the games. But I can't.
Also, I doubt they will leave only those megas we know as the only existing megas, so we're definitely getting more.

For ALOLAN forms, I can see they not adding more, but I'm more inclined to thinking they will change the name (since we're not going to stay in ALOLA forever) and keep adding more Pokémon.
I Hope Flygon becomes Bug/Dragon type!!! and that's my FINAL answer!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alolan forms are also called regional variants, which could be used for other regions.

That said, Generation IV Pokemon getting "Sinnoh forms" would be quite silly. They would need to use a different concept to justify their emergence in Sinnoh (rather than another region).

Obviously 4th gen Pokemon wouldn't be getting them, but what about non-4th gen Pokemon? It'd be a good excuse for them to include new Pokemon in the Sinnoh Dex because those new forms would be, in a way, Sinnoh natives. Something like the Bug/Dragon Sinnoh Flygon I suggested earlier would be a logical addition to the game.

The talk about Generation 4 remakes makes me wonder about one thing... What about the Johto starters? I dunno, you'd think they'd handle Gens 2/4 the same way they handled Gens 1/3 in Gen 6...

Then again, as was said earlier by @Meta Boss , they said they made ORAS due to fan demand, so it'd be early for Gen 4 remakes to happen this time. As for a possible release year for the Sinnoh remakes... I'm thinking it'd be 2019 or 2020, with Generation 8 happening in 2018.

Alolan forms are also called regional variants, which could be used for other regions.

That said, Generation IV Pokemon getting "Sinnoh forms" would be quite silly. They would need to use a different concept to justify their emergence in Sinnoh (rather than another region).
More Eastern/Western variants for Sinnoh Pokemon, as well as older or newer Pokemon, simple really. It can be retconned that Sinnoh always had em as the MegaVerse is kinda new with the GBA-DS games in their own bubble.

Something I wonder about Sinnoh remakes is how they will handle stuff like Caitlin or Looker, as down the line if they ever get to Gen 5 Remakes, some stuff will have to fit with the remakes take on those characters, if they even exist.

New 3DS themes featuring Team Galactic have been revealed.
I think it's some indication. ;)

But they've also released a Team Rocket theme...?

But they've also released a Team Rocket theme...?
Kanto has been getting much love( Alola forms), So, it isn't weird. But Team Galactic? They could have chosen Team Skull instead since they are fresh and new. Also, like the people above said, if there is any relation between gen 2 and gen 4 just like gen 1 and gen 3, then team rocket is also an indication since it was present in gen 2 games. Team rocket was also there in gen 4(HGSS).
I hope it is an indication. I so want gen 4 in 3D.

That could be nothing, though. They revealed 3DS themes centring around the original BW, which had been out for at least 4-5 years at the time it dropped in the Theme Shop!
They could have chosen Team Skull instead since they are fresh and new.
It's more than likely that they'll do this closer to the release of Sun & Moon itself, same with any other Sun/Moon theme that's possible like the region, starters and mascots.

I think Johto starters might get mega evolution in DP remakes since we already got remakes of Johto. That was why Kanto starters and Mewtwo got mega evolution in XY because we already had Kanto remakes.

If we indeed get Sinnoh remakes, I wonder if the legendary Pokemon will get any special treatment.

Kyogre and Groudon got Primal Reversion, so what about Dialga/Palkia/Giratina?

I don't think we would get anymore regional variants. Mega evolution maybe but regional variants seem to be Alola only.
No, Alola forms are Exclusive to Alola, Because they're ALOLAN; Just Because the Only current Regional Variants are Alola Forms, Doesn't necessarily mean that Regional Varients are Alola-Exclusive, and also doesn't mean that they cannot appear elsewhere only under a Different Name(AKA The Name of the Region, Followed by the work Form, E.G. Sinnoh Form, Unova Form, etc)
I so want gen 4 in 3D.
You're not the only one buddy. ^_^

Something like the Bug/Dragon Sinnoh Flygon I suggested earlier would be a logical addition to the game.
I'd LOVE To see a Bug/Dragon type Flygon, I don't care whether It only happens via Mega-volution OR By Regional Variant, I just want a Bug/dragon type Flygon; period.

Last edited:
If we indeed get Sinnoh remakes, I wonder if the legendary Pokemon will get any special treatment.

Kyogre and Groudon got Primal Reversion, so what about Dialga/Palkia/Giratina?

I mean, I have to assume that they'd get something. It'd just be kinda boring to throw slightly-modified artwork of Dialga and Palkia up on the covers, no? (Yes, I know it worked fine for HGSS, but those games never had to worry about making boatloads of sales; of course the GSC remakes with two regions and Walking Pokémon were going to sell.) But it gets tricky when you try to factor in Giratina and Arceus, since they both already have held item-induced forms. Although I suppose they could pull a Rayquaza and just have them Mega Evolve or Primal Revert without holding an item.

But Primal Reversion specifically? Well, it would seem to make sense, wouldn't it? I mean, they already have their own signature Orbs, ready and waiting, and as I mentioned before, these ones don't even need to be changed from key items to held items; they're already held items. And like, it's "Primal Reversion," so of course you have the two primordial creator Pokémon revert to their true forms, the forms they took in the early days of the world.

However... Primal Reversion was very explicitly said to draw power from the natural energy of the planet. Which makes a lot of sense for Groudon and Kyogre, given that they're connected to forces of nature in the world, on Earth. But Dialga and Palkia represent concepts that are of a universal scale. In fact, if the legends are to be believed, they actually pre-date Earth and all its natural energy, so surely, they must draw power from some other source in order to achieve a different transformation?

Honestly, I wouldn't be opposed to just giving them "Origin Formes" like Giratina's and just buffing them. But that doesn't seem flashy enough for what GF's been going for lately. And I'll admit, that whatever I may think of Dialga and Palkia in terms of their alleged divinity, I do feel that the Pokémon of Time and Space warrant a certain high level of optics simply by virtue of being connected to such vast and fundamental quantities.

Last edited:
I don't think we would get anymore regional variants. Mega evolution maybe but regional variants seem to be Alola only.

Well yeah so far Alola is the only region that's shown up after they introduced the concept. S&M are the only new games that have come out with them introduced too, so of course right now it might seem Alola specific.

I mean, I have to assume that they'd get something. It'd just be kinda boring to throw slightly-modified artwork of Dialga and Palkia up on the covers, no? (Yes, I know it worked fine for HGSS, but those games never had to worry about making boatloads of sales; of course the GSC remakes with two regions and Walking Pokémon were going to sell.) But it gets tricky when you try to factor in Giratina and Arceus, since they both already have hold item-induced forms. Although I suppose they could pull a Rayquaza and just have them Mega Evolve or Primal Revert without holding an item.

But Primal Reversion specifically? Well, it would seem to make sense, wouldn't it? I mean, they already have their own signature Orbs, ready and waiting, and as I mentioned before, these ones don't even need to be changed from key items to hold items; they're already hold items. And like, it's "Primal Reversion," so of course you have the two primordial creator Pokémon revert to their true forms, the forms they took in the early days of the world.

However... Primal Reversion was very explicitly said to draw power from the natural energy of the planet. Which makes a lot of sense for Groudon and Kyogre, given that they're connected to forces of nature in the world, on Earth. But Dialga and Palkia represent concepts that are of a universal scale. In fact, if the legends are to be believed, they actually pre-date Earth and all its natural energy, so surely, they must draw power from some other source in order to achieve a different transformation?

Honestly, I wouldn't be opposed to just giving them "Origin Formes" like Giratina's and just buffing them. But that doesn't seem flashy enough for what GF's been going for lately. And I'll admit, that whatever I may think of Dialga and Palkia in terms of their alleged divinity, I do feel that the Pokémon of Time and Space warrant a certain high level of optics simply by virtue of being connected to such vast and fundamental quantities.

I always figured if they had "Reversion Formes" or something it would be from times before the earth or even the universe existed, and they would have incredible eldritch looking forms. Maybe something H.P. Lovecraft like, or something that somehow looks like it doesn't at all exist in the confines of reality. Maybe something that is implied to be the REAL versions of these basically gods that simply have avatars.

Also I want to add to the earlier point I made about bringing Arceus back into relevance with Silvally by bringing up a pokemon you'd imagine would have even less relevance currently. Rotom. They brought back Rotom for the Rotomdex. You could argue Arceus at least has a lot of relevance in the pokemon universe in general just having created it, but Rotom has no reason to get a role like the one it has in S&M except to tie Alola and Sinnoh together.

I always figured if they had "Reversion Formes" or something it would be from times before the earth or even the universe existed, and they would have incredible eldritch looking forms. Maybe something H.P. Lovecraft like, or something that somehow looks like it doesn't at all exist in the confines of reality. Maybe something that is implied to be the REAL versions of these basically gods that simply have avatars.

That's largely what I'd expect concept-wise. It's just the execution that I find puzzling (as with a lot of aspects of potential DP remakes). Maybe it could just be something like Battle Bond, where they don't necessarily need a held item in order to transform? But intuitively, one is much more inclined to tether their transformations to their Orbs somehow, given the past precedent, and because it is a quick and easy way of affixing a drawback to these inevitably overpowered forms.

Edit: You know, for Arceus, I supposed they could just introduce a new "Divine Plate" or something that initiates its form change/Mega Evolution/Primal Reversion/Hyper Transcendence/whatever. Because for Arceus, that can be like the "one and true Plate, the purest among many" or some such. But it'd be odd to introduce new, superior "counterparts" to the Adamant, Lustrous, and Griseous Orbs... although on the other hand, Soul Dew vs. Latiasite/Latiosite.

Last edited:
I personally don't think there will be a Generation IV remake this generation, noting that you can play the original Generation IV DS games on the 3DS, but I think it will happen in Generation VIII, which is most likely going to be on the Nintendo Switch (I just mentioned in another thread that it is unlikely that you will be able to play 3DS (or even DS) games on the Nintendo Switch.

I mean, I have to assume that they'd get something. It'd just be kinda boring to throw slightly-modified artwork of Dialga and Palkia up on the covers, no? (Yes, I know it worked fine for HGSS, but those games never had to worry about making boatloads of sales; of course the GSC remakes with two regions and Walking Pokémon were going to sell.) But it gets tricky when you try to factor in Giratina and Arceus, since they both already have held item-induced forms. Although I suppose they could pull a Rayquaza and just have them Mega Evolve or Primal Revert without holding an item.

But Primal Reversion specifically? Well, it would seem to make sense, wouldn't it? I mean, they already have their own signature Orbs, ready and waiting, and as I mentioned before, these ones don't even need to be changed from key items to held items; they're already held items. And like, it's "Primal Reversion," so of course you have the two primordial creator Pokémon revert to their true forms, the forms they took in the early days of the world.

I think something like Origin Formes, but on the same level as Primal Reversions would be the likely outcome of DP Remakes. I dunno if Origin Reversion is the right thing to call it, or Dimensional Transcendence because they transcend the borders of their dimension and ours, or whatever, but that is a complicated name. But yeah, I can also see this being the same as the relationship between Groundon/Kyogre and Rayquaza, with something akin to mega evolution drawing on the power of the temporal/spacial plane that they exist on, but Giratina keeping its Origin Forme, as the Distorion World exists in its own set of rules of nature, and likely is just the negative force of our world, something that Infinity Energy cannot exist in. This is also evident in how the Origin Forme works, as in because of its similarities to our own world, we can enter and bring back something from the Distortion World, were as Dialga and Palkia's domains are too high a concept and different from ours to be comprehended as a physical place, and the Origin Reversions(for simplicity's sake) would not be their true appearance, but a halfway point giving us only hints to their true, likely Eldritch appearances.

So I was thinking about how remakes could work in the world of gen 7 and what its features are and how the gameplay is setup.
-Trials take a break, and gyms return. However, I can see the gym quest being retooled along with the league as some sort of deciding factor for climbing Mount Coronet, or even acting as gates for access to the Lake Trio. The way I see it, they retool the story to give even more prominence to the Trio. Although the dynamic will still be there with the Trainer being in tune with the Lake Verity Guardian, the professor assistant to the Lake Acuity guardian and Barry to the one in your hometown, perhaps they can remix the gym order to structure the game into 3 acts that tie into each lake. This also takes into account Pokeride, which abolishes the HM restrictions on how the region is explored, and allows for a somewhat more linear, yet still Sinnoesque take on the region.
For example, the new gym order could be split into 3 distinct chunks: Hometown lake is tied into Oreburgh Gym, Eterna Gym, and Canalave gym. This would be the climax of the first act, learning about the lore in Canalave much earlier then before, getting a hint towards were this new story is heading. The second act would involve Snowpoint City as the peak, acting as the 6th gym instead of the 7th, getting closer to the legends by exploring the eastern half of the region, and finally going North to Snowpoint, with new ties between the Sinnoh Lore and Snowpoint Ruins. The 3rd act would involve Sunnyshore Gym and Veilstone gym, with you now travelling to Sunnyshore to learn about Cyrus and his past, and finally Veilstone to confront Cyrus and Team Galactic. The way this is structured is that by the time you can finally reach the 3rd lake, the story now climaxes with a steady stream of events, starting with the bombing of Lake Verity, and continuing from there on out how it did in the original games. It seems like a big change, but I can see Gamefreak streamlining the story in such a way which paces you to explore Sinnoh in the same cluster style exploration that Alola will deliver, while still keeping the same story beats along the way, just in a totally new sequence. Challenging the league also becomes a privilege and right more so then before, as since you now have all 8 badges before the story climax, despite having to recognize you as a challenger, the story might further push Cynthia to want to challenge you.
-Pokeride. Like I said, this would really shake things up. Sinnoh's one of the HM Heavy regions, and the most controversial. With Pokeride however, it could become something amazing. Maybe some new areas could be added to further the concept, or some route designs could be shaken up to accommodate it, but I definitely think without HM's, like I said above how and when you explore Sinnoh will change. Later areas show up earlier, earlier areas come along a little further in the story, and in general the backtracking can be done in a very elegant way as compared to say, having psyducks block you from traversing a very foggy route.
-Wifi Plaza returns as a parallel to Alola's new Wifi Hub.
-The Rotom Dex isn't in game, but it has a proto form thing going on, with Rotom instead possessing the Poketch to make it better then ever, combining both the Pokedex and the Pokemon Tool into one great feature. This also has story ties, which makes the Poketch Company have ties to the professor, for whatever reason.
-The Battle Zone has no frontier, but they do bring back the Frontier Brains unlike ORAS. Mostly because they do have the most ties then the Hoenn group to the region, and even the franchise, with Caitlin and Palmer definitely requiring appearances. I do think they will do something special there however, with the 3 areas having some sort of special facility. I think the Battle Area will see stuff like the Battle Institute, Battle Royale, and the Tower equivalent with Palmer and the other brains acting as the Bosses, the Survival Area the PWT as an upgrade to the Battleground, and finally perhaps an Elite Tier Contest Hall which can only be accessed by completing the Master Rank of Sinnoh's contests in all 5 categories.

Shoot, for some reason I didn't even realize until reading your post that the Lake trio are basically a Sinnovian version of Alola's island guardians. DP really are begging to be SM's generational partners.

But I like your thoughts. It's the kind of radical change that I'd like to see in DP remakes, but it's also the kind of radical change that I imagine they're reluctant to commit to. Then again, we'll be in a post-SM world by that time... maybe philosophies can change.

This also has story ties, which makes the Poketch Company have ties to the professor, for whatever reason.

This is an easy one, just say they're collaborating in order to make an ultra-convenient feature for Trainers.

-The Battle Zone has no frontier, but they do bring back the Frontier Brains unlike ORAS. Mostly because they do have the most ties then the Hoenn group to the region, and even the franchise, with Caitlin and Palmer definitely requiring appearances. I do think they will do something special there however, with the 3 areas having some sort of special facility. I think the Battle Area will see stuff like the Battle Institute, Battle Royale, and the Tower equivalent with Palmer and the other brains acting as the Bosses, the Survival Area the PWT as an upgrade to the Battleground, and finally perhaps an Elite Tier Contest Hall which can only be accessed by completing the Master Rank of Sinnoh's contests in all 5 categories.

Oh, I love the idea of converting the Battleground into a PWT. Either way, yeah, Palmer and Caitlin have to be there.

I think the Battle Royal would fit in pretty seamlessly in the Battle Zone. It's very clearly a feature that's meant to encourage battling via a group gathering, as opposed to 1-on-1. Which calls to mind a segment of an interview from G4, from way way back with Masuda and Kawachimaru, about why the Battle Frontier was included in Platinum:

> Kawachimaru: The kind of battling you do in Battle Frontier is very different from the battling you do throughout the game's storyline. There are different rules. You'll want to use different strategies. You'll want to raise Pokemon differently. You'll need extensive knowledge of Pokemon and their moves to confront the trainers in Battle Frontier. When you play the storyline, you pretty much play alone and complete the game. In Battle Frontier, you work with friends, siblings, parents, or children. You can play together. We wanted to create an opportunity for communication, so that families and friends can talk about the different strategies they can employ.

Specifically that last sentence. Tell me that doesn't scream, "Battle Royal!"

--

Actually, I've spent this morning by tinkering with another idea for how they could go about new Sinnoh games. As has been noted, we can still play the originals on the 3DS. Now, I don't think that's necessarily all that important, but they could lean into it in a meta way, and do so in a way that shakes up the pattern so that it's not just straightforward, cookie-cutter DP remakes - they could do Sinnoh sequels, and I think they could be done in a way that works in ideas from SM while still being faithful to Sinnoh, but also uses this approach to create organic changes.

At the climax of Platinum, Cyrus vows to remain in the Distortion World until he can uncover its secrets and create his ideal world, which could be treated as a big sequel hook, if they want it to be. So let's have these sequels set ten or so years later, and in the intervening time, distortions have begun to appear all over the Sinnoh region. This has caused an influx of Pokémon that have fallen into Sinnoh from all over space and time (this reinvigorates the regional Dex). There are eight key distortions around the region. The Gym challenge is now intertwined with this plot, and before you can challenge a Gym, you must now assist the Gym Leader in dealing with the distortion in their area. This leads to what is functionally a Totem battle, but reskinned as "Interdimensional" or something to that effect.

The villain plot has changed too. The appearance of these distortions has instigated the rise of two new orgnaizations - Team Nebula and Team Nova (bear with the placeholder names). Team Nebula's goal is to use Dialga's power in order to reverse time to a point before the distortions started to appear, while Team Nova's goal is to use Palkia's power in order to expand the spacial dimensions of the world so as to accommodate the new Pokémon that have poured in through the distortions. I think that having two teams this time could be a way to shake-up the pacing and to provide a different experience from DP, which again, are still playable on the 3DS. Although I think it'd largely work out like ORAS, where the Team that focuses on the opposite version's mascot certainly has a role in the plot, but mostly takes the backseat to "your" game's villains.

The climax of the games would see you ascend Mt. Coronet as usual, with Team Nebula/Nova summoning their respective deity (and, since we focus on only one mascot, we have none of that "and this other Red Chain that I replicated with technological means" malarkey!). This creates a cataclysm like the one that we saw in DP, which you, of course, put a stop to. But defeating/capturing the mascot isn't the end of it. Their rampage opened up the portal to the Distortion World at the summit. You enter the portal and traverse the Distortion World, until you finally come upon... Cyrus. Or rather, a being that resembles Cyrus... it is revealed that while studying the Distortion World, he made a breakthrough of some kind, but it wasn't what he intended. It warped him into an Ultra Beast-like form, which was intrinsically linked to that dimension, preventing his escape. The distortions that have appeared around Sinnoh were caused by him "pounding against the walls" of the dimensions, in a sense, and trying to find a way out. However, he could now exit through the portal at Mt. Coronet if it remains open (because as we saw in Platinum, this causes the Distortion World to unbalance the material world), so you have to stop him. What happens after you beat him? Does he return to human form? Does he flee somehow? Who knows. Either way, wrapping all of this up closes the distortions around Sinnoh and returns things to normal. A post-game storyline can focus on returning to the Distortion World via the Sendoff Spring in order to deal with Giratina, and perhaps Arceus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom