• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a lot more that can be done with Sinnoh than Kanto. Gen IV games simply have a lot more potential.

Now, don't get me wrong - I would be on-board with Sinnoh remakes, but I have to disagree here. Sinnoh remakes, or at least what I realistically expect they'd look like given their history of remake treatments (i.e., emphatically not my hyper-radical propositions from the previous pages of this thread), would largely just be a spruced-up DP. It'd do for Sinnoh what ORAS did for Hoenn. Which was fine and all; it made Hoenn very nice. But I think the proposal of Kanto sequels would introduce a lot more change, because Kanto as we know it is just so plain and has little in the way of unique features. Showing the region 10-15 years later? You know a lot has changed in that time. I mean, when we came back to Unova after only 2 years, we had five new cities, five new routes, tons of new landmarks and dungeons, and more content and features than ever before. Kanto sequels would necessitate a massive overhaul - just think of Saffron City, for example. Right now, there are only a couple of buildings that you can even enter, with the rest of the city being filler houses. But that's no longer the case with a modern take on the city, and the engine and graphical scale of Gen VII. I dare say it would almost be like going through a brand new region.

Also, yes, let's regard every potential hint as a "coincidence".

That's not really what I was trying to do. My point was just that there is plausible deniability, if you will, for each of the "hints" thus far when they're put into context. They might mean something... or they might all be innocuous.

Now, don't get me wrong - I would be on-board with Sinnoh remakes, but I have to disagree here. Sinnoh remakes, or at least what I realistically expect they'd look like given their history of remake treatments (i.e., emphatically not my hyper-radical propositions from the previous pages of this thread), would largely just be a spruced-up DP. It'd do for Sinnoh what ORAS did for Hoenn. Which was fine and all; it made Hoenn very nice. But I think the proposal of Kanto sequels would introduce a lot more change, because Kanto as we know it is just so plain and has little in the way of unique features. Showing the region 10-15 years later? You know a lot has changed in that time. I mean, when we came back to Unova after only 2 years, we had five new cities, five new routes, tons of new landmarks and dungeons, and more content and features than ever before. Kanto sequels would necessitate a massive overhaul - just think of Saffron City, for example. Right now, there are only a couple of buildings that you can even enter, with the rest of the city being filler houses. But that's no longer the case with a modern take on the city, and the engine and graphical scale of Gen VII. I dare say it would almost be like going through a brand new region.
Okay, sure, a graphical update would do wonders for Kanto because the region feels pretty bare as is. But the one thing Kanto truly lacks is...I don't know how to put it. Every region has its history and lore, its own mythology. All Kanto has is Mewtwo and Mew - science experiments. Along with villains who don't aspire towards anything but stealing Pokemon for profit which is also pretty...boring.

I just don't see another set of Kanto games unless the Kanto region suddenly becomes a lot more interesting in aspects other than 'but look, we have cool new buildings new'.

Plus, haven't we gotten enough of Generation I stuff already?

IMO, Sinnoh deserves sequels/remakes way more than Kanto does. Generation I pandering has been going on hardcore since Gen 6 and S/M is just continuing the trend.

That's not really what I was trying to do. My point was just that there is plausible deniability, if you will, for each of the "hints" thus far when they're put into context. They might mean something... or they might all be innocuous.
Yet it felt like you were dismissing them entirely.

I just don't see another set of Kanto games unless the Kanto region suddenly becomes a lot more interesting in aspects other than 'but look, we have cool new buildings new'.

I suppose I'm taking it for granted that they would revamp the storyline, but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't.

That being said, I don't think that a region necessarily has to have a deep mythological history in order to do something interesting. Personally, I think I would be intrigued by a story that dealt more with the modern state of affairs of the Pokémon world. Or, instead of focusing on how any given Legendary Pokémon has shaped the region's history, they could explore the human and societal interactions that formed it, to flesh out some of the history we don't know. Like Lt. Surge's war, for instance.

Overall, we've got lots of lore about Legendary and Mythical Pokémon dating back 500 years ago, 2500 years ago, 3000 years ago... I think it would be a nice change of pace to look at what the world was like in, say, the Pokémon world's equivalent of the twentieth century.

Plus, haven't we gotten enough of Generation I stuff already?

Perhaps, but there's no denying that it sells. And while that may seem soulless and cynical, I think that if there's a strong enough idea for a Kanto game that would not only make money but also do something interesting, that's a good enough reason to go for it. I look at it kind of like how I look at Incineroar: Am I a little tired of the Fire-type Starters evolving into bipedal brawlers? Honestly, yeah, but Incineroar is, in my opinion, such a strong concept and is so well-executed that I can let the repetition slide on this occasion.

IMO, Sinnoh deserves sequels/remakes way more than Kanto does.

I do think the Sinnoh games deserve remakes, but the thing is, I have little doubt that they will be revisited eventually in some way. So I guess from my perspective, I just don't really see Kanto sequels as Kanto "stealing" the Sinnoh games' rightful spot, or anything.

Plus, I think that holding off on Sinnoh for a little while longer can be beneficial in the long run. It allows more time for people to grow nostalgic, thereby increasing the demand, and it prevents their releases from becoming a formulaic two-step routine of "New generation pair, remakes. New generation pair, remakes." Kanto sequels would be a spanner in the pattern that would keep people on their toes. On top of that, Sinnoh will have even more room to work with on the Switch than it would on the 3DS. And not just graphically, either, because the shift back from two screens to one will inherently necessitate an overhaul. They will have to be creative in adapting DP to a one-screen format, which will help to provide a new experience compared to DP (just like how RS were reinvigorated by the addition of a second screen, giving us the DexNav, BuzzNav, and AreaNav as new features).

To put it another way, we've already seen how the 3DS can improve an old game, and it was a GBA game, at that. The 3DS probably won't be able to do more than that to improve a DS game.

Yet it felt like you were dismissing them entirely.

That wasn't my intention, at least. I just think it's important to keep the context of these things in mind.

Of course, and I'm honestly asking here because I wasn't around for the Johto remake hype, what evidence is there, historically, that these "_____ Confirmed!" "hints" have significant merit or substance? I remember there being lots of Hoenn "hints" in BW, and yet, no RS remakes in Gen V. And while there were Hoenn references in XY... there were just as many references to all the other regions as well, which just makes me think that they were pulling reference material from all over (not to mention the disparity of logic between them seeding hints about RS remakes into XY, and then making RS remakes that proceed to retcon the hell out of the games they packed all of those hints into).

Last edited:
@Tsu Just because Kanto originally had an evil team with no real ambition or no lore doesn't mean it can't ever. That's something that could easily be improved upon. The games have become increasingly more story focused the last several generations, so it's reasonable to expect more of a story this time around. And there's plenty of opportunities to expand on the story, they hinted towards some kind of connection between Mr. Fuji and Mewtwo but never really elaborated, and that would be a great opportunity towards. The legendary birds could also be given more lore to the region, possibly also being connected to Lugia which is another plot point that's been hinted at but never properly explained. As for Team Rocket, it's more a matter of creating logical connections between the various encounters throughout the game than anything else. TR plot points are basically a series of isolated incidents whereas the later evil teams have grand plots that span multiple encounters. You don't really need a legendary mascot to pull that off.

That being said, Kalos is seriously being overlooked here. Kanto has at least had an opportunity for improvement (several in fact) and considering how much they like 1st gen pandering they can bring it back whenever they want, and Sinnoh will have its chance in the future. Meanwhile, the window is closing on Kalos, if they don't make a Kalos game now it won't be relevant again until it's time for its remake 10 or so years from now. I'd much rather have a Kalos game than anything else right now.

I don't understand this fixation on getting remakes every generation. The gap between them has been 5+ years so far (close to 6 for FRLG and HGSS) and that was a good way of increasing demand for HGSS and ORAS without making things too repetitive. Right now the demand for DP remakes is nowhere close to what was the case for the previous two remakes, so it would be pretty jarring if Game Freak decided to shorten the gap in this case.

I agree with Esserise that sequels set 10-20 years into the future would be a fresh concept and it could make any region feel truly new (barring new species). But which region is the most likely to be given that treatment first? Not Sinnoh.

And the only reference to Sinnoh that seems compelling to me is Silvally, but wasn't it just a matter of time before the "item-dependent type" concept was used for a non-legendary Pokemon? And if so, why not acknowledge where the idea originated? Unless they mention Arceus as a point of interest with relevance to Alola's lore, I don't think it means anything.

Bolt the Cat said:
if they don't make a Kalos game now it won't be relevant again until it's time for its remake 10 or so years from now. I'd much rather have a Kalos game than anything else right now.
That's understandable, but I doubt that Game Freak see it that way. Since they'll have to update any old region for the new engine, they'll choose whatever they think most people want right now. The interest in Kalos has waned ever since Sun and Moon were announced. It would be pretty weird to return there a year or two after addressing Zygarde in the anime and the Alola games. That may not be the only unresolved element from XY, but it was certainly the most prominent one. Kalos' lore is also heavily tied to Mega Evolution, which doesn't seem to be a priority in this generation.

I don't understand this fixation on getting remakes every generation. The gap between them has been 5+ years so far (close to 6 for FRLG and HGSS) and that was a good way of increasing demand for HGSS and ORAS without making things too repetitive. Right now the demand for DP remakes is nowhere close to what was the case for the previous two remakes, so it would be pretty jarring if Game Freak decided to shorten the gap in this case.

It's primarily instant gratification I think, they did the same thing with ORAS in 5th gen when it hadn't aged enough and gained enough demand by that point. By the time 8th gen comes out on the Switch, the timing should be right in terms of both age and demand then. I'd love to see DP remakes too, but I can wait, there's other games we can enjoy in the meantime.

That's understandable, but I doubt that Game Freak see it that way. Since they'll have to update any old region for the new engine, they'll choose whatever they think most people want right now. The interest in Kalos has waned ever since Sun and Moon were announced. It would be pretty weird to return there a year or two after addressing Zygarde in the anime and the Alola games. That may not be the only unresolved element from XY, but it was certainly the most prominent one. Kalos' lore is also heavily tied to Mega Evolution, which doesn't seem to be a priority in this generation.

Updating Kalos to match Sun and Moon's graphical style shouldn't take that much effort as there's not really much improvement to begin with. It'd certainly be less effort than Kanto, which has never been in 3D and has much more of a graphical leap to make up. They'd be able to

Also, it wouldn't quite be weird to return to Kalos after SM, they could make some interesting connections between Kalos and Alola especially with Zygarde showing up in Alola. It'd be sort of like GSC, except taking place across 2 games instead of crammed into one.

I take Sinnoh remakes or a revisit to Kalos over Kanto anytime. However, Kalos is unlikely to come back.

How would people feel if there is no Sinnoh remakes for the near future? Just a random question.

How would people feel if there is no Sinnoh remakes for the near future? Just a random question.

Depends what you mean by "the near future". Does not having a Sinnoh remake until 8th gen on the Switch count as "the near future" or do you mean if we don't even get one within the next 5 or so years? Because I can live with the former, in fact I think that'd be ideal, but the latter would be unacceptable.

Depends what you mean by "the near future". Does not having a Sinnoh remake until 8th gen on the Switch count as "the near future" or do you mean if we don't even get one within the next 5 or so years? Because I can live with the former, in fact I think that'd be ideal, but the latter would be unacceptable.
Near future = 2017-2021.

Only GF can determine when to make remakes or not so we don't get a say in the matter. Sinnoh remakes can come out at any time GF feels like it.

Disappointed, but it is how it is. We'd be getting some other Pokémon game instead, so I wouldn't be bothered too much, a Pokémon game is a Pokémon game. And it's still possible to play DPPt and those games aren't exactly ugly yet, so it's fine.

I do doubt we still haven't gotten them by 2021, especially if the next games are going to be on the Switch, on which it isn't possible to play DPPt. But I think 2018 is too soon, I would absolutely love having them so soon, but we just had remakes, so I think they're gonna wait a few years for the next one. Maybe 2019.

Disappointed, but it is how it is. We'd be getting some other Pokémon game instead, so I wouldn't be bothered too much, a Pokémon game is a Pokémon game. And it's still possible to play DPPt and those games aren't exactly ugly yet, so it's fine.

I do doubt we still haven't gotten them by 2021, especially if the next games are going to be on the Switch, on which it isn't possible to play DPPt. But I think 2018 is too soon, I would absolutely love having them so soon, but we just had remakes, so I think they're gonna wait a few years for the next one. Maybe 2019.
I wouldn't be really disappointed if we don't receive Sinnoh remakes.

But if we do, then I want to see in 2018. Because that would break two "patterns". The 5 years between remakes and the 8-10-12 between the original games and their remakes. It's killing two birds with one stone deal. :p

If there is going to be Generation IV remake, I strongly believe there will be a Mega-Arceus or some God-Forme or True Forme of it.
Because only in Pokemon Diamond, Arceus' dex entry mentioned
"It is described in mythology as the Pokémon that shaped the universe with its 1,000 arms."

I for one really want to see this 1000 armed Forme.

I think both, a Kanto Revisit, and a Sinnoh Remake should contain either of these new forms
1. An 'Awakened' Mew form
2. 'Awakened' Arceus Form
3. Unown 'Complete' Form

And maybe Alternate forms for Dialga and Palika in the same vein as Alternate Firatina formes.

As I said some pages ago, I'm on the Sinnoh Remake for 2018 hype train (still on 3DS) - even more because it will be the 10th year aniversary for Platinum.

For Switch, I'd love to get original games in 2019-2020 and another remake in 2021. If I could choose I'd pick a Crystal remake, but I can totally see GF making a Kanto remake too since it will be the 25th anniversary.

I think both, a Kanto Revisit, and a Sinnoh Remake should contain either of these new forms
1. An 'Awakened' Mew form
2. 'Awakened' Arceus Form
3. Unown 'Complete' Form

And maybe Alternate forms for Dialga and Palika in the same vein as Alternate Firatina formes.

For Sinnoh I'd like for us to get an Arceus Alternate form. Not sure on Dialga/Palkia, but probably they could get Primal reversions.

For Kanto I'd love to see a Mew form and in Johto Celebi. Imagine something like Hoopa Unbound.
Also, the Birds (Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Ho-Oh and Lugia) and the Dogs (Suicune, Raikou, Entei) have high chances of getting forms too.

There's a lot more that can be done with Sinnoh than Kanto. Gen IV games simply have a lot more potential.

Also, yes, let's regard every potential hint as a "coincidence".
And plus, While I would LOVE To See the Kanto Region in 3D, And See the Return of Megavolutions, where We can Do Pokemon Origins IN THE GAME Itself; and See What a 3D younger Red and Blue Look like; Or See a 3d Model of Leaf(and at that, MAYBE finally give her an official name) etc. But As Much as I'd Want that; I'd Love to see a 3D Remake of Diamond and Pearl, with New Features added since after Gen IV, such as Megavolution, Z-Moves, and Even possible Regional Variants, aka Sinnoh Forms, I'd Love to see What 3D Dawn and Lucas would look like, and How cool their Redesigns are; or Have a Battle Frontier, or Super Contests, there's so many possibilities for them on what they could add to Gen IV Remakes, and Maybe Even Give Cynthia a Garchompite for her Garchomp(Though seeing how she doesn't have a Mega-ring on her, that Dashes Any possibilities off her megavolving her Garchomp in either Sun and Moon OR Any remakes of Diamond and Pearl, If they Even GET Remakes at all)

Cynthia using Mega Garchomp equals awesomeness. Giratina would probably get the Delta Episode treatment. If a mythical is made available again then either Darkrai or Arceus could be in the game. New battle facility that would take the place of Battle Tower/Frontier. Possible new mega evolutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom