• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the lack of Character Costumization pretty much destroyed ORAS (best selling remake ever with over 13 million games sold sofar).

That's what I call a backlash. Whew...

I hope that they upgrade the villa feature. Not entirely like Sims, but more options and expansion would be great.

Like with ORAS, I don't see why customization shouldn't be added. Some people say the characters are too iconic, so you shouldn't be able to change them. Yes, May was so iconic that they changed her design completely for the remake :/ If Dawn's design doesn't get messed up in the same way I wouldn't mind not having customization, as I really like her design. But there really just isn't a good reason to not add customization, but knowing GF it won't happen.

Yeah, the lack of Character Costumization pretty much destroyed ORAS (best selling remake ever with over 13 million games sold sofar).

That's what I call a backlash. Whew...

They didn't say it "destroyed" ORAS

You can like/purchase* a game and still be critical of it, and the lack of customization was one of peoples' major criticisms of ORAS. It was not a decision that people were fond of.

* In fact, competitive players were pretty much forced to buy ORAS regardless of how they felt if they wanted to stay relevant, since GF wouldn't patch XY

They didn't say it "destroyed" ORAS

You can like/purchase* a game and still be critical of it, and the lack of customization was one of peoples' major criticisms of ORAS. It was not a decision that people were fond of.

* In fact, competitive players were pretty much forced to buy ORAS regardless of how they felt if they wanted to stay relevant, since GF wouldn't patch XY
There was no backlash though. A few hundreds/ thousands of fans missing the Trainer Customization feature in a remake and expressing this feeling online, is not a backlash. Not for a game that has sold over 13 million copies sofar.

A loud minority, is what it's called.

Last edited:
The newest Pokemon games have given us quite a few hints (albeit most of them are rather minor) to remakes of the Gen IV games. Let's just say I am all for remakes of those games. I will admit, I've never played Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. This was similar to when ORAS came out, and I had only beaten about 4 gyms on Emerald, which I had managed to find a rom emulator for. While I did almost buy Pokemon Diamond the other night, I decided against it since I will be buying Sun and Moon day 1.

So if they announce remakes before I am completely over the Sun and Moon hype, and start playing other Pokemon games, then I may wait till those remakes come out, kinda like I did for ORAS.

I do want to see Battle Frontier make a return, like most of us here, though I won't be depressed if it doesn't. As much as ilove trainer customization, because I really really do, I wouldn't mind the games not having it in the main game. Keeping at least the relative look of Dawn and Lucas is okay with me. But there is an exception to this, being able to customize a trainer for online battles. I really liked how in X and Y you could look very different from your friend who you were battling. It was great to see how everyone made themselves look. I was sad how in ORAS, everyone looked the same again. So yes, we can keep that Lucas and Dawn look in the game, but online, I want my trainer to stand out, and I want to see my friends trainers too.

I don't have too many hopes for it, but as I start thinking of some, and if remakes do get announced, I will post more.

There was no backlash though. A few hundreds/ thousands of fans missing the Trainer Customization feature in a remake and expressing this feeling online, is not a backlash. Not for a game that has sold over 13 million copies sofar.

A loud minority, is what it's called.

Seems like using semantics to dismiss a critical opinion.

ORAS didn't need customization to be successful or to have it at all. Same will apply with DP remakes. Customization really only works for new regions like Kalos where main character has not been in previous games. So remakes should never have that feature in my opinion.

Seems like using semantics to dismiss a critical opinion.
It is not a critical opinion. Just the erroneous assumption that DP remakes might have problems regarding the fan reception, if there is no Trainer Customization. And it is completely false, seeing how ORAS had no problems despite not having said feature.

It is not a critical opinion. Just the erroneous assumption that DP remakes might have problems regarding the fan reception, if there is no Trainer Customization. And it is completely false, seeing how ORAS had no problems despite not having said feature.

That's not necessarily true. Just because someone bought something doesn't mean they liked it in the end, it just means they saw enough from pre-release promotion to think it was good. If people bought the game expecting customization and they found out it wasn't there, that might affect future purchases.

That's not necessarily true. Just because someone bought something doesn't mean they liked it in the end, it just means they saw enough from pre-release promotion to think it was good. If people bought the game expecting customization and they found out it wasn't there, that might affect future purchases.
Yeah. Some 100- 200 people might skip Sinnoh Remakes if they go the ORAS route and don´t have Trainer Customization.

Last edited:
After kicking aside Sun and Moon altogether now, I've been wanting Gen IV remakes more than ever. My first main series game as an actual fan of the franchise (Blue doesn't count, I barely scratched the surface as a kid) deserves to get a revisit.

After kicking aside Sun and Moon altogether now, I've been wanting Gen IV remakes more than ever. My first main series game as an actual fan of the franchise (Blue doesn't count, I barely scratched the surface as a kid) deserves to get a revisit.

I mean Gengar will still have cursed body in these games, too. It's not like it's just a Su/Mo thing lol

But yeah I'd be down for Sinnoh remakes for the sole reason that I'd like to see more Megas and Primals introduced. As a competitive player, z-moves are a serious downgrade from Megas in terms of shaking up the metagame, in my opinion, and it seems like Megas may be a remake only feature moving forwards - so I'm fine with getting remakes on a regular basis, regardless of how unsurprising they are

I wonder if they'll actually introduce new Megas when it has been restricted to the post game this time. I know that it's to give more focus on Z-Moves and possibly Alolan Forms. But to not even introduce at least one or two seems to me that they are done with Megas.

Mega evolution is better than region forms. I rather see DP remakes have mega evolution over region forms.

Why not both? I think it would be cool to see Sinnoh variants for pokemon from the 5th or 6th generation. In addition I hope that DP remakes will be the games that FINALLY give us a mega milotic and mega Flygon.

Why not both? I think it would be cool to see Sinnoh variants for pokemon from the 5th or 6th generation. In addition I hope that DP remakes will be the games that FINALLY give us a mega milotic and mega Flygon.
It would be cool to see sinnoh forms, bu i don't know if they'll bring back new megas in Gen 4 remake, because in XY megas were introduced and Gamefreak decide to make more megaa in ORAs, but since we're not getting any new megas in sun and moon, then i don't think we'll get new megas in DP remake. See gamefreak like to follow a pattern of the new mechanic that was introduced in the new gen (For example Mega evolution was introduced in XY and follow up to ORAS, which Primal Reversion). We likely have another mechanic that follows up on Z-moves, maybe it changes forms while having a z-move

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom