• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So if we go by this pattern, we'll be getting Re:Gen 4 come the next portable console release, or the Switch if we're lucky.

Most likely there is no next portable, the Switch is supposed to serve as both a console and a handheld. So following that pattern, 4th gen remakes will be on Switch. 5th gen remakes probably will too, which would make it the first console generation to have two Pokemon remakes.

From a story line and purely personal perspective, it would sort of make sense to bring out remakes rather quickly.
Mostly due to the whole idea of the 'ultra beasts' attacking the old universe, and the idea of 'fallers'.
The suggestion of the old universe characters having their fate 'hanging in the balance' like that just unsettles me a little.

The DP remakes will also fit into the Sun/Moon plot rather well because of the themes of inter-dimensional beings and 'ultra space'. Could have a nice tie in.

From a story line and purely personal perspective, it would sort of make sense to bring out remakes rather quickly.
Mostly due to the whole idea of the 'ultra beasts' attacking the old universe, and the idea of 'fallers'.
The suggestion of the old universe characters having their fate 'hanging in the balance' like that just unsettles me a little.

The DP remakes will also fit into the Sun/Moon plot rather well because of the themes of inter-dimensional beings and 'ultra space'. Could have a nice tie in.

SM don't really ever suggest that the UBs have imperiled the old universe's characters in any way.

Besides, even if DP remakes don't come in Gen VII, it's not as if concepts such as Ultra Space will just evaporate. They can revisit the idea whenever it's relevant.

SM don't really ever suggest that the UBs have imperiled the old universe's characters in any way.

Besides, even if DP remakes don't come in Gen VII, it's not as if concepts such as Ultra Space will just evaporate. They can revisit the idea whenever it's relevant.
Anabel and looker being kidnapped and thrown into another dimseion shows that the old verse was under attack by ultra beasts at some point, and they attack fallers, Lillie who is a faller like us went to kanto meaning mega verse kanto is in danger and so is lillie, looker could still be hoenn but we don't know what happened to faller looker so hoenn could be safe now but faller looker is still in danger.

Its the most relevent to do it now, next gen whatever they focus on will be the theme of that generation like how mega evolution was for gen 6 even in oras a game that could have left out megas and the fanbase might not have minded since they seem to care more for sycamores retconed line about kalos and megas

Anabel and looker being kidnapped and thrown into another dimseion shows that the old verse was under attack by ultra beasts at some point

There is no "under attack" as far as we've been made to think. At most, we can currently infer that two Ultra Wormholes have manifested in the old universe, and that Looker and Anabel fell into them (it's never said that they were "kidnapped"). We don't know what would have become of the UBs that may have emerged from them - but two UBs is hardly a daunting prospect.

and they attack fallers, Lillie who is a faller like us went to kanto meaning mega verse kanto is in danger and so is lillie, looker could still be hoenn but we don't know what happened to faller looker so hoenn could be safe now but faller looker is still in danger.

We very explicitly caught all of the UBs that were known to have emerged in the Mega universe. There is currently no threat to Lillie or Looker.

Its the most relevent to do it now, next gen whatever they focus on will be the theme of that generation like how mega evolution was for gen 6 even in oras a game that could have left out megas and the fanbase might not have minded since they seem to care more for sycamores retconed line about kalos and megas

It's a hazy area right now, but personally I doubt that we'll be seeing another new, big, lore-affecting mechanic next generation. Even if we do, they could still make a comparison between Sinnoh's dimensional themes and the UB plot fairly easily. SM already continue the discussion about the bonds between Pokémon and humans, and do mention Mega Evolution on two occasions in order to draw the link between them and Z-Moves. But more importantly, they just did the mirror image of what I'm proposing - they referenced Bronzong, Palkia, and Giratina's dimensional aspects because it was relevant to the UBs. Hell, they brought back a character as obscure as Burnet and directly referenced the Interdream Zone because it was relevant. And these are things that are 2-to-3 generations old by now.

The thing is, the dimensional elements of the Sinnoh games will naturally invite some kind of reference to similar themes from other games, regardless of how far apart they are, simply by virtue of the games forming an interconnected world. Ultra Space doesn't necessarily have to be referenced in Sinnoh in any earth-shakingly direct way.

Similar to ORAS, I actually think the DP remakes 'delta episode' kind of scenario, could have ties to the PMD2 plot.
By the end of the story Darkrai reveals that the reason you were turned into a Pokemon, and more importantly lost your memory too was due to an accident while travelling through space time portals. (Note these portals allowed travel through alternate dimensions as well). So these bare many similarities with the ultraworm holes. Especially in concern of loosing one's memory while dimensional travelling.

Also concerning this, Charon himself had a Darkrai in the manga.
So if we did get something like this, Charon and Darkrai would have a reason to be villainous.
It'll also give more on the whole 'ultra wormhole' idea.

Similar to ORAS, I actually think the DP remakes 'delta episode' kind of scenario, could have ties to the PMD2 plot.
By the end of the story Darkrai reveals that the reason you were turned into a Pokemon, and more importantly lost your memory too was due to an accident while travelling through space time portals. (Note these portals allowed travel through alternate dimensions as well). So these bare many similarities with the ultraworm holes. Especially in concern of loosing one's memory while dimensional travelling.

Also concerning this, Charon himself had a Darkrai in the manga.
So if we did get something like this, Charon and Darkrai would have a reason to be villainous.
It'll also give more on the whole 'ultra wormhole' idea.
What about Primal Dialga from Pmd Explorers of time/darkness/sky, do you think it have some tie into DP remake, where Darkrai is responsible of the destruction of time, thus cause dialga to go out of whack

What about Primal Dialga from Pmd Explorers of time/darkness/sky, do you think it have some tie into DP remake, where Darkrai is responsible of the destruction of time, thus cause dialga to go out of whack

There could also be a tie in with that.
Dialga and Palkia could get 'primal' reversions like their ORAS counterparts or something similar.

Man, I'm excited for Dp remake, but it's too bad we'll have to wait till 2018 for them, because of stars happening in 2017 :(

Call me crazy, but I'm still not totally convinced that the similarities between the Delta Episode and PMD aren't, on some level, a coincidence, or perhaps a result of them both drawing inspiration from Destiny Deoxys.

I don't think we'll see anything having to do with Primal/Dark Dialga. Thing is, is that it's not really a transformation or a power-up like Mega Evolution or Primal Reversion. There's no mechanic behind it. It's just Dialga's skin and body patterns turning darker in accordance with it becoming feral. It's like... well, it's sort of like the extra patterns that manifested on Mewtwo's cloned Starters in Mewtwo Strikes Back. Sort of.

But rather than wondering what they might do for a post-game plot, I personally am more interested in how the main plot will be rewritten. I assume that they'll use DP as the template for the storyline, just like they used RS as the template for ORAS's plot instead of Emerald. Which would normally worry me, seeing as I think DP's storyline is a load of nonsense (Platinum's isn't much better, but still), but I thought RS's plot was pretty stupid too, and I think they did a great job of rewriting it.

Personally, I want to see less emphasis on the "god-like" power of Dialga and Palkia. The thing that I dislike most about those two, and Arceus, is that they've talked them up way too much. There's little reason to believe, based on what we see in DPP, that they aren't fully capable of causing the universe to unravel, or creating a new one from scratch. Which I think is an utterly absurd level of power for a single Pokémon to have. Whereas what I do find interesting about them is how people perceived them in the distant past. Sinnoh is all about mythology, and at its core, mythology is all about people trying to describe how something extraordinary made them feel. There are a couple of nice touches along these lines in DPP as it pertains to Dialga and Palkia - off the top of my head, I can think of one for each: Someone in the Foreign Building talks about how the passage of time can heal sadness, and the statue inscription compares ever-expanding space to our ever-expanding spirits. I think that demonstrates a much more relatable use of Dialga and Palkia as mythical figures. They're certainly chronokinetic/spatiokinetic animals. But I don't feel like their powers themselves should be the appeal of them. Instead, I like seeing how the observation of these extraordinary abilities of theirs made people in ancient times think about the world and about humanity.

With that in mind, something I'd like to see them explore with Cyrus is his faith. With all of the other villain team leaders, I never got the sense that they really "cared" about the legends surrounding the powerful beings they sought to control. To Maxie/Archie and Ghetsis, the stories and myths just provided a centralizing power for their otherwise separate goals of altering the environment or conquering Unova. Whereas Cyrus is interested in the myths of Sinnoh from the start, and actively seeks to verify them because if they're true, then it means he can accomplish his goal (which itself is deeply rooted in Sinnohan philosophy, and the idea that spacetime and spirit are intrinsically linked). It would also make him a better foil to Cynthia, who researches the myths out of simple academic curiosity. Obviously, this theme is already present in DPP to some extent, but like with RSE's plot and central conflict, it isn't communicated very clearly because their writing sucked until Gen V. But a question that isn't asked, is why Cyrus feels the way he does, and why does he believe in the myths? The scrap of backstory that they give him in Platinum feels like an afterthought, and doesn't really explain the source of his beliefs in any tangible way.

Additionally, I wonder if they'll retain the bit about Giratina and Arceus being unknown about until the events of the story.

As far as the main plot goes. I want them to expand on their role as extra-dimensional beings (Opinions on retcons and whether or not their divinity should be retained aside). As well as go more in depth as to how/why their powers are dangerous. Hoopa, a pokemon you can't even get in game, has demonstrated their powers more than Dialga and Palkia. And the effects of Groudon and Kyogre wade the threat they posed clear in the games where they were the mascots.

For example, say in a remake of Diamond, Dialga's influence would cause wierd tame effects. People appearing younger/older than usual. After images of the PC popping up on repeat trips, events playing in reverse etc (might be more difficult to code but possible). They could even use that to timeshift the game by 12 hours like Moon.

A Pearl remake on the other hand would, with Palkia representing space, instead have spatial distortions. Gravity/camera shifts, wormholes. People and things suddenly appearing and disappearing and Exits and entrances being different in some places.

Of course being Pokemon, most of the lethal effects are limited to implications and shower thoughts. And the actual effects would be mostly aesthetic, but it would serve to help grant the games their own idenity much like Black and White, (both the originals and 2) Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, and Sun and Moon

For example, say in a remake of Diamond, Dialga's influence would cause wierd tame effects. People appearing younger/older than usual. After images of the PC popping up on repeat trips, events playing in reverse etc (might be more difficult to code but possible). They could even use that to timeshift the game by 12 hours like Moon.

A Pearl remake on the other hand would, with Palkia representing space, instead have spatial distortions. Gravity/camera shifts, wormholes. People and things suddenly appearing and disappearing and Exits and entrances being different in some places.

I do agree with this. As it stands, their "powers" over time and space basically amount to making the sky have an acid trip and forging a miniature galaxy out of nowhere (which I still find utterly baffling to this day). That's pretty lame. Ideas like what you propose would be vastly more impressive to see, if a bit trickier to implement.

I wonder if we might also learn more about how the Sinnoh region physically came into existence. A note on Cyrus's computer in the original games talks about how it's theorized that the universe was formed by a massive explosion, and that Sinnoh itself is thought to have been formed by a similar explosion "in ancient times." Cyrus specifically accredits the creation of Sinnoh to Dialga and Palkia, and additionally, it is thought by Buck's grandfather that Heatran was born when Sinnoh was "made by the melding of time and space." I am intrigued by this, and I wonder about how much of these beliefs is based on fact or myth. Perhaps the Legendary Pokémon of Sinnoh didn't create the entire universe, but did create the Sinnoh region, and the belief that they also shaped the rest of the universe stems from that? If you send an event Arceus over to Platinum, the hiker who gives you the infodump aboutit will tell you that the Flame Plate he gave you was said to have been created at the same time as Sinnoh, whereas the inscription on the Plate itself says that it's a shard of the universe from when the universe was made. Which is true, and to what degree?

Last edited:
I think there's a simple way to check if Sinnoh remakes are up next.

Remember when a Feebas with max beauty was transferred over to XY, and it evolved? And we got ORAS later?

Couldn't it be possible to check if a max beauty Feebas from ORAS can evolve in Sun and Moon when Bank is out later? If it can evolve, it might be possible they're retaining the beauty evolution for DP remakes.

Remember when a Feebas with max beauty was transferred over to XY, and it evolved? And we got ORAS later?

Couldn't it be possible to check if a max beauty Feebas from ORAS can evolve in Sun and Moon when Bank is out later? If it can evolve, it might be possible they're retaining the beauty evolution for DP remakes.
Might be an interesting experiment for when Bank's updated

As far as I know, they've always retained Feebas's ability to evolve via level-up with a maxed Beauty stat. It's not just an XY thing. The Prism Scale is just an alternative for games that don't offer a way to raise the Beauty stat of Feebas that are caught in that game.

@Klavier Gavin, I wouldn't consider DP remake being next on the list. But there are more hints to would include DP remake being next on the list, So we might see DP remake in 2018, because of Star rumor happening in 2017 (If it's true)

Without paying attention to other posts, now that I've played Sun & Moon thoroughly myself, here's my input on the possibilities of Generation IV remakes...
  • First of all, that Munchlax distribution with an exclusive Z-Crystal. I think this is the biggest flag if Mega Blaziken was anything to go by last Generation - though it does evolve into a Snorlax, Munchlax made its debut in Generation IV.
  • The day and night overworld music. The last games to have done this to my memory are the Sinnoh titles themselves - though it's not as expansive as Routes aren't covered by night and day music themselves, the fact that they emphasise this in the cities could potentially be a nod, at the very least, even if the games are literally titled Sun & Moon and the entire game revolves around the differences of day and night.
Those are my two top observations as to why I think a Sinnoh remake could be hinted at. There's a lot of other stuff, too, but I think any point that I haven't listed, and even my second point here, are stretches. I've very firmly stuck to cautious hope when it comes to speculation on games I enjoy, and I've said this in the past but I feel like I should restate it here since it's been a while since I was on the forum...

Without paying attention to other posts, now that I've played Sun & Moon thoroughly myself, here's my input on the possibilities of Generation IV remakes...
  • First of all, that Munchlax distribution with an exclusive Z-Crystal. I think this is the biggest flag if Mega Blaziken was anything to go by last Generation - though it does evolve into a Snorlax, Munchlax made its debut in Generation IV.
  • The day and night overworld music. The last games to have done this to my memory are the Sinnoh titles themselves - though it's not as expansive as Routes aren't covered by night and day music themselves, the fact that they emphasise this in the cities could potentially be a nod, at the very least, even if the games are literally titled Sun & Moon and the entire game revolves around the differences of day and night.
The Z-Crystal distribution is more for Snorlax, a very iconic Kanto Pokemon, than Munchlax. It is more of the Kanto reference than a Sinnoh reference.

It's like saying that, for example, Prof. Juniper of Unova went to study in Johto. People will see it more of a Johto reference despite Prof. Juniper being from Unova.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom