• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I think that the Poketch should stay. It's one of the things that defines Sinnoh the most and I will be upset if they replace it with the Rotom Pokedex.

For Rock Climb, how about Rhyhorn? It would tie nicely with riding one in X & Y, and as a Pre-evolution of Rhyperior in Sinnoh.
For Rock Smash, I'd go for Rapidash, as Ponyta were all over Sinnoh, and it shares the feeling of speed, much like Tauros.
Plus I just want to ride a Unicorn :cry:

My suggestions for Ride Pokemon are pretty much my favorites from the ones you guys already brought up:

Bike - Rapidash
Even though the first iteration of the Poke Ride equivalent of the Bike also included Rock Smashing I really want to have Rapidash as a Ride Pokemon but not the Rock Smasher as well. Rapidash has been one of the most dreamed-of Pokemon fans have want to ride ever since that one episode and I wanna see it happen too with a good opportunity arising with a new Sinnoh game. To give a better reason for separating it from Rock Smash Ride Rapidash could be the fastest way to travel on land and also help hatch eggs.

Rock Smash and Strength - Rampardos and Bastiodon
Just like Soki mentioned I also think this is a pretty neat idea not showing favoritism and tying together when the field moves became available with the challenge you have to beat in order to use them.

Itemfinder - Luxray
Zeb made a good argument for this with Luxray's natural seeking and tracking abilities. X-ray vision is often something people forget about Luxray.

Surf and Power Surf - Bibarel and Floatzel
I really had to include Bibarel somewhere and being your first Surfer is a pretty good slot. Power Surfing is what I'm calling the other actions performed while Surfing such as Rock Smashing and climbing Waterfalls. For this I think Floatzel is a good choice since its design is very swimmer/lifeguard inspired and it is known as a fairly powerful Pokemon.

Fly - Staraptor/Drifblim/Yanmega
I don't really have a preference here as I like what each of these can offer when compared to Charizard. Staraptor is a big powerful bird which is the other popular flying mount of choice after dragon. Drifblim is a pretty unique Pokemon and of course would offer a nice an scenic hot air balloon ride. And lastly Yanmega would finally be able to give rides to player after all the mentions of it doing so by the dex and could also be a terrifying scene depending on how takes off goes.

Heavy Snow - Mamoswine
We've already seen how Mamoswine handles in the snow so why not bring it back for one of the slowest parts of the game to travel through.

Rough Terrain - Garchomp
Having been already suggested a few times to be Rock Climber I believe that Garchomp would also work well as transport over any other forms of rocky or jagged areas. Pretty much take on Mudsdale's role along with being a Rock Climber.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think that Riding Pokemon won't be in this game. I think that GF will keep the HMs in order to remain faithful to the original.

I could definitely see that being the case. Similar to how customization and PokeCenter/PokeMart integration were removed in ORAS.

Well, they brought HMs back in all their glory for ORAS, even though they had been scarce in Unova and Kalos.

Well, they brought HMs back in all their glory for ORAS, even though they had been scarce in Unova and Kalos.

There's a difference between how BW and XY handled HMs and how SM handled HMs though. BW and XY kept them mechanically the same and just toned them down, and there was little reason to replace them (I could've done without the Rock Smash boulders on Rt. 111, but that's about it). SM changed the entire mechanic behind HMs, so there's actually something relatively significant to carry over into the next remake. And considering that HMs have been a complaint for several generations and DP was the game that really started these complaints, they'd probably be more inclined to go with SM on this one.

I don't see how they would retcon Ride Pokémon in Sinnoh. Alola had them for generations. But I dislike HMs. Sometimes, you need to teach your Pokémon a bad move or skip giving them a good move because of HMs.

As for which Ride Pokémon I would like to see in Sinnoh:
Garchomp for Cut
Infernape for Strength and maybe Rock Smach
Lapras for Surf and Waterfall
Staraptor or Garchomp for Fly
Mamoswine for walking on snowy paths
I dunno for Rock Climb. Maybe Onix?
Not an HM, but maybe Dugtrio for Dig.

I don't see how they would retcon Ride Pokémon in Sinnoh. Alola had them for generations. But I dislike HMs. Sometimes, you need to teach your Pokémon a bad move or skip giving them a good move because of HMs.

They don't really need to establish them in the story, but they could easily just say the remakes had them for generations as well. As we know from ORAS, remakes take place in an alternate universe from the originals, so there's no need to worry about continuity with the originals.

They don't really need to establish them in the story, but they could easily just say the remakes had them for generations as well. As we know from ORAS, remakes take place in an alternate universe from the originals, so there's no need to worry about continuity with the originals.
ORAS didn't exactly say it was an alternate dimension from RSE, and it's not like it was the first remake to be different from its original-new features and Pokemon were included in FRLG and HGSS as well.

ORAS didn't exactly say it was an alternate dimension from RSE, and it's not like it was the first remake to be different from its original-new features and Pokemon were included in FRLG and HGSS as well.

On the other hand, you can't really bring up the idea of a multiverse or alternate timelines in a remake of an older game without people going to the obvious conclusion that the games in question are separate timelines instead of a case of overwriting with the newer version.

Also the games have substantial enough differences to serve as evidence that this is in an alternate universe
  • The aforementioned megas, as well as Primal Reversion.
  • Mauville and the associated locations (The redesign of the city, the replacement of the Abandoned Ship with Sea Mauville and the lore that connects the 2)
  • The Delta Episode referencing the Birth Island event with the triangle.
  • Mirage Islands, and mountains, and forests, and caves. All of which are more than the singular island found in RSE.
  • Tabitha's redesign, (he not the only character to be redesigned, but his changes are the most blatant)
  • And the Different selection of pokemon in general.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm fully on board with the idea that it is an alternate universe (though that's more because of Anabel in SM), my point is just that the game itself never says anything about the previous games being an alternate timeline. (And those new features don't necessarily point to a new dimension-a game could be updated with newer features without necessarily being in a multiverse with its earlier counterpart.)

my point is just that the game itself never says anything about the previous games being an alternate timeline.

While that's technically true, they do strongly allude to the idea by describing a universe that never discovered Mega Evolution and contains a less-advanced Hoenn region. It's pretty clear as to what they were getting at, which is the most that they could realistically do, since "From generation to generation, we pass along the lore about the distortions in the world borne by the Mega Evolution mechanism. And about the existence of the world of Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald Versions, which we have long observed to be just like this world and yet not the same..." is far from the most natural-sounding dialogue.

Doesn't have to be limited to just sinnoh mons as we saw them use charizard for fly.

I'm like a page late on the whole Pokeride thing but anyways, I'd hope they expand on the feature to allow you to use your own Pokemon, like HMs allowed, but without actually taking up a moveslot, for example, every Flying-type Pokemon can fly naturally, why require it to know the "move" fly when it has the "natural ability" to fly? Same with Water and Ice-types to surf, etc. So let's say I go through the game with Piplup, as soon as it's at least a Prinplup AND I get whatever badge lets me surf over water, it could list "surfing" as an inherent field ability or something along those lines, essentially giving all Pokemon that could learn HM moves previously, the ability to use them all the time as natural abilities instead of dedicating moveslots to it. Of course, if you don't want to use a Pokemon to serve these functions at all, PokeRide could still be an alternative, I just thought it was really cheesy how we could page Pokemon to come do our dirty work in SM.

I'm like a page late on the whole Pokeride thing but anyways, I'd hope they expand on the feature to allow you to use your own Pokemon, like HMs allowed, but without actually taking up a moveslot, for example, every Flying-type Pokemon can fly naturally, why require it to know the "move" fly when it has the "natural ability" to fly? Same with Water and Ice-types to surf, etc. So let's say I go through the game with Piplup, as soon as it's at least a Prinplup AND I get whatever badge lets me surf over water, it could list "surfing" as an inherent field ability or something along those lines, essentially giving all Pokemon that could learn HM moves previously, the ability to use them all the time as natural abilities instead of dedicating moveslots to it. Of course, if you don't want to use a Pokemon to serve these functions at all, PokeRide could still be an alternative, I just thought it was really cheesy how we could page Pokemon to come do our dirty work in SM.
Sounds like Pokemon Ranger to me which is fitting seeing how all the Ranger games were on the DS. And how Guardian Signs and Shadows of Almia were apart of Gen IV. Ranger was apart of Gen III.

Oh and as far as the alternate timeline debate, I've used this picture in the past to cover it and I'll use it again:

ulizrvwxkok6aydfgzwf.png

This was obviously made in response to the Delta Episode, therefor we can infer that Sun and Moon take place in the same timeline as the rest of the 3DS games. Anabel was transported via ultra wormhole from RSE, mostly E, to the "Megaverse" ten years prior to the events of Sun and Moon, which may very well be around the time of ORAS.

Cynthia, Red, Blue, and others all make appearances with Mega capabilities which further proves that essentially everyone from the Standardverse (Gen 3-5) exists in the Megaverse, save for unique events like the Standardverse no longer having an Anabel, unless they ended up getting Megaverse Anabel.

Also, Cynthia already has a model from SM for use in a remake since she has the exact outfit she had in the old games unlike every other old character we got, further hinting at a DP remake in the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom