• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Braille itself is a very special and meaningful method of communication for the visually challenged, and I am really uncomfortable with no backstory about it in Pokemon. There's not even a single mention about how visually challenged people live in the pokemon world, or, for heaven's sake, how someone with a broken leg gets around doing their daily activities. We've only seen people with no physical problems (aside from possibly Ghetsis), which somehow seems rather weird seeing how they're hanging out with monsters that breath fire and poison and have giant claws, and humans only get minor burns or scratches ._.

I think you just answered why we don't see people with disabilities in the Pokeverse. It would also explain why their world population seems to be much lower than our's.

I think you just answered why we don't see people with disabilities in the Pokeverse. It would also explain why their world population seems to be much lower than our's.
So.. it could mean that either people are exceptionally careful when training pokemon... or any accidents that do occur are simply too fatal to recover in any way...?

So.. it could mean that either people are exceptionally careful when training pokemon... or any accidents that do occur are simply too fatal to recover in any way...?

I was thinking more that anyone who can't take being set on fire or poisoned regularly probably doesn't live long...

I don't really see what there is to say about Type: Null and Arceus. We know the connection - the Aether Foundation went to the Canalave Library, mined their research material, and made an anti-UB Pokémon/weapon based on that information.

Arceus spends its days sleeping in a dimension above Mt. Coronet, so I'm hard-pressed to think of a way that it could have anything to do with Type: Null.

Similarly, there's no immediate reason to think that Ultra Space and the Distortion World are related. There are other dimensions in Pokémon. The Interdream Zone isn't related to the Distortion World; why should Ultra Space be?

The biggest thing that I want for Sinnoh remakes, is a confirmation that there will be Sinnoh remakes. I know that it seems like a no-brainer, but there's always the possibility that it won't.

They've said that they're still interested in making full remakes of older games.

That doesn't directly confirm that Diamond and Pearl remakes are going to be made, but what's the likelihood that they would skip them and move ahead to Black and White remakes? Pretty much zero.

But why did it have to be Braille, and why did they design the Regis based on Braille?

Probably because Braille can serve as an easy cipher for the English alphabet, and might seem exotic in that context. My guess is that it has no relevance to blind persons in the Pokémon world, and is just an ancient language, like the cuneiform in Unova's Abyssal Ruins.

I don't really see what there is to say about Type: Null and Arceus. We know the connection - the Aether Foundation went to the Canalave Library, mined their research material, and made an anti-UB Pokémon/weapon based on that information.

Arceus spends its days sleeping in a dimension above Mt. Coronet, so I'm hard-pressed to think of a way that it could have anything to do with Type: Null.

Similarly, there's no immediate reason to think that Ultra Space and the Distortion World are related. There are other dimensions in Pokémon. The Interdream Zone isn't related to the Distortion World; why should Ultra Space be?

Why did they choose Arceus as a basis for Type:Null though? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Aether to design a new Pokemon after Arceus if it didn't have something to do with UBs. The Distortion World being related to Ultra Space in some way would justify that a little more, since Arceus banished Giratina to the Distortion World if the two dimensions are related then that would mean Arceus holds some kind of power over Ultra Space as well.

Why did they choose Arceus as a basis for Type:Null though? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Aether to design a new Pokemon after Arceus if it didn't have something to do with UBs.

Sure it does. They didn't know what to expect from the UBs, so having a Pokémon that can change to be any type covers their bases. What other Pokémon is said to be able to change to be any type? Arceus, and so off they went to do some research.

Last edited:

What would you do if you were a god, had a very unique ability... And then one of your creations recreate your own ability? Would you be enraged? Would you simply remove that recreation of the existence? Would you take that as your bastard?
THAT'S the kind of thing we want to know.

What would you do if you were a god, had a very unique ability... And then one of your creations recreate your own ability? Would you be enraged? Would you simply remove that recreation of the existence? Would you take that as your bastard?
THAT'S the kind of thing we want to know.

These aren't really interesting questions, and they wouldn't lead to meaningful answers.

Even brushing past the fact that Arceus is only a "god" according to unverifiable myths, making its characterization that of a vain, jealous egomaniac who might erase something from existence just because it shares a gameplay mechanic (and it's not like that's Type: Null's fault) is ridiculous. As is Arceus "adopting" Type: Null because... so what? How does that say anything important? All it does is drag yet another Pokémon into Arceus's overinflated inner circle.

Is Arceus also mad at Mewtwo and the weather trio for surpassing its BST?

These aren't really interesting questions, and they wouldn't lead to meaningful answers.

Even brushing past the fact that Arceus is only a "god" according to unverifiable myths, making its characterization that of a vain, jealous egomaniac who might erase something from existence just because it shares a gameplay mechanic (and it's not like that's Type: Null's fault) is ridiculous. As is Arceus "adopting" Type: Null because... so what? How does that say anything important? All it does is drag yet another Pokémon into Arceus's overinflated inner circle.

Is Arceus also mad at Mewtwo and the weather trio for surpassing its BST?
But that's the thing. IF that kind of story happened, we'd be able to know something about Arceus' presonality, because with the exception of the movie, nothing is known about what is his personality. A situation like that would let us know more about how Arceus acts and lives. That may not happen, nothing may be said about Type: Null and Arceus, but it still can be interesting to imagine.

Sure it does. They didn't know what to expect from the UBs, so having a Pokémon that can change to be any type covers their bases. What other Pokémon is said to be able to change to be any type? Arceus, and so off they went to do some research.

As Genesect proves, artificial Pokemon that can change type are not something unique to Arceus, so they really didn't need to base it on Arceus if that's all they wanted. They could've done the same thing with literally any concept for a Pokemon they came up with. That's not really a strong enough connection.

As Genesect proves, artificial Pokemon that can change type are not something unique to Arceus, so they really didn't need to base it on Arceus if that's all they wanted. They could've done the same thing with literally any concept for a Pokemon they came up with. That's not really a strong enough connection.
Except Genesect can't change its type, only the type of Techno Blast...

They really don't need any more of a reason to base Sivally off of Arceus than they did to base Mimikyu off of Pikachu; it's the anniversary, so we get Pokémon with references to older Pokémon. SM are packed with references to past generations; Silvally is just one in Gen 4's direction. Every generation has a Pikachu clone, so now they go meta with it. Mew was a Mythical Pokémon that got an artificial knockoff, and now Arceus gets a turn. Furthermore, it could have been adaptive - they could have started from the idea of the Aether Foundation wanting to make an anti-UB weapon and concluding that they needed something with changing types, and then said, "Hey, we already have something similar to that, let's just tie that in somehow for a reference."

I'd also argue that Genesect is a pretty obvious parallel to Mewtwo. It's not as explicit as Silvally and Arceus, but they share very similar background concepts (taking ancient Pokémon and exploiting them via science in order to create the "most powerful Pokémon"). And they did that just because so much of Gen 5 was calling back to Gen 1; there was no super-secret connection between them, not even in the movie which pitted them directly against each other. They're just two similar Pokémon derived from the same idea.

But that's the thing. IF that kind of story happened, we'd be able to know something about Arceus' presonality, because with the exception of the movie, nothing is known about what is his personality. A situation like that would let us know more about how Arceus acts and lives. That may not happen, nothing may be said about Type: Null and Arceus, but it still can be interesting to imagine.

That would be assuming the story is even true and not just based on human misconceptions. Humans get things hilariously wrong all of the time. For example, for about three years part of my extended family thought I was dead. They forgot I don't use much social media because of some of my communication quirks.

And with gods, you have to take it with an even greater grain of salt. Myths change over time, despite the attempts of people to prevent such from happening. And we've already seen with Giratina that they can be massively untrue.

What about the Pal Park? If it returns, how will it work? If it doesn't, will we get something to replace it?

They really don't need any more of a reason to base Sivally off of Arceus than they did to base Mimikyu off of Pikachu; it's the anniversary, so we get Pokémon with references to older Pokémon. SM are packed with references to past generations; Silvally is just one in Gen 4's direction. Every generation has a Pikachu clone, so now they go meta with it. Mew was a Mythical Pokémon that got an artificial knockoff, and now Arceus gets a turn. Furthermore, it could have been adaptive - they could have started from the idea of the Aether Foundation wanting to make an anti-UB weapon and concluding that they needed something with changing types, and then said, "Hey, we already have something similar to that, let's just tie that in somehow for a reference."

I'd also argue that Genesect is a pretty obvious parallel to Mewtwo. It's not as explicit as Silvally and Arceus, but they share very similar background concepts (taking ancient Pokémon and exploiting them via science in order to create the "most powerful Pokémon"). And they did that just because so much of Gen 5 was calling back to Gen 1; there was no super-secret connection between them, not even in the movie which pitted them directly against each other. They're just two similar Pokémon derived from the same idea.

You're talking about two different things, first you were talking about in game logic and now you're talking about developer logic. Nevertheless, it doesn't really make sense from either perspective. In game wise, as I just explained they could easily allow anything to change types. Developer wise, if they decided to make Type:Null an Arceus reference, why not reference it again and further the connection?

What about the Pal Park? If it returns, how will it work? If it doesn't, will we get something to replace it?

Another good question.

Hmm, maybe convert it to a Friend Safari? That's the only thing I can think of.

In game wise, as I just explained they could easily allow anything to change types.

So? They can do any number of things to achieve a particular end. They decided to model Silvally on Arceus for a loose Gen 4 reference in the spirit of the anniversary.

Developer wise, if they decided to make Type:Null an Arceus reference, why not reference it again and further the connection?

Maybe because it's only supposed to be a soft, subtle link and not something convoluted and overt?

Hmm, maybe convert it to a Friend Safari? That's the only thing I can think of.

Please I want Friend Safari back so bad (though it needs different music).

Speaking of safaris, I wonder what they'd do with the Great Marsh. In ORAS the steps limit and Safari Balls were removed from the Safari Zone, I wonder if the same will happen to the Great Marsh.

I personally hope not, I actually really liked the Safari Game, gave you a bit more challenge than it being just another area where you can catch Pokémon. I wouldn't mind the steps limit being removed though, that was the most annoying part to me. Just give us a certain amount of balls and if we run out we gotta leave. But don't do what ORAS did, that would make it so boring imo :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom