• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
@GalacticRonpa I wondering if I want DP remake or Sequels, but whatever they do for Gen 4, I'm down with it. IMO, I don't think Gf would wait till 2019 or 2020 for DP, since Stars is Switch exclusive, and GF are hiring Motion Designer, Character Modelers, and Programmers who has experience with Wii U and PSvita, I think they'll push "Stars" back till 2018 for pokemon to work better on Switch. As for DP remake/sequel, we could see them this year on 3ds/switch

@Sakuraa you know when Gen 8 comes, they'll might come up with another gimmick to make pokemon stronger. For Z-moves, yes in Sun and Moon we didn't have new megas and they're pushed back till the post-game. The reason we didn't get new megas because masuda wanted to focus on a mechanic called Z-moves Pokémon boss explains why Sun and Moon sideline Mega Evolution. Masuda quote that " Each time we make a new game, we think of particular theme and of particular elements that would work well with that game. This time we have our Z-moves [but] if a game comes up in future that we think [Mega Evolutions] would work really well with, certainly we’ll look into it… But for the minute we don’t have any particular plans." on Pokémon director explains why the team dropped Mega Evolutions As for Megas, They're not saying we won't see megas anymore, I mean megas are a main mechanic, it's not like they'll just introduce it and get rid off it year a later, If GF wanted to do something different they'll come up with a new cheesy gimmick for next generation, As for as Gen 7, What's wrong with add new megas and new exclusive Z-moves. I don't think Pokemon Company and GF don't follow through the fans request removing megas, If they want to add new megas, I wouldn't mind it, All I know is that we'll see new megas and new exclusive z-moves "in the future."

shemar corbin said:
you know when Gen 8 comes, they'll might come up with another gimmick to make pokemon stronger.

My post was in regards to a Gen 4 remake being done in gen 7. If it happens in gen 8 and there's some new 'power-up', well yeah, that's probably what the Gen 4 starters would get. I'm personally hoping we get some in Gen 7.

As for as Gen 7, What's wrong with add new megas and new exclusive Z-moves. I don't think Pokemon Company and GF don't follow through the fans request removing megas, If they want to add new megas, I wouldn't mind it, All I know is that we'll see new megas and new exclusive z-moves "in the future."

Nothing is wrong with new Megas and exclusive Z-Moves. I never said anything was wrong with that. All I said was that I prefer for these things to be spread more widely so more Pokemon will be able to receive the benefits. Basically if I had to choose between 2 options

1. Pokemon receiving both a Mega Evolution and an exclusive Z-Move
2. Some Pokemon only receiving a Mega Evolution and others getting an exclusive Z-Move

I'd pick the second since it allows more Pokemon to have these benefits.

@Sakuraa, I wasn't referring to Gen 4 happening in Gen 8, I was explaining that Gen 8 might either get a new cheesy gimmick or they'll continue on making new megas and z-moves in the future. People hate the idea of having both new Megas and Z-moves to appear in the same game. Masuda did explain why new megas didn't appear in sun and moon, because he stated that "they want to focus on Z-moves in the main game", and he explained that new megas will return in the future game. The opposition I would choose is 2. Some Pokemon only receiving a Mega Evolution and others getting an exclusive Z-Move, because if a mega pokemon use z-move would be a total over kill IMO

Besides, there really aren't that many Pokemon with exclusive Z-Moves and I certainly want to see some more non-Kanto mons with them.

I want to offer a counter point to this.

There is a fundamental difference between megas and Z-Moves that is the reason why there are less exclusive crystals.

With mega-evolution. The items are all exclusive by default. Any pokemon that can mega evolve would have a mega stone keyed to their species and them alone (some having two), meaning that two different pokemon can't use the same stone.

Z-crystals on the other hand are more generic by nature, being type-based instead of species-based. As a result two different pokemon can use the same Z-Move as long as they have a(n offensive) move of the corresponding type.

What this means is that the devs can afford to make less exclusive z-crystals because any Pokémon can use them already, where as if the devs want to make a new mega-evolution, they have to design a brand new exclusive item for them (rather easy since they are just palette swaps of one another. designing the actual mega evolved form is the real challenge of this process). You wouldn't need a special Z-move for say, Empolean because that pokemon can use Corkscrew Crash, Hydro Vortex, Sub-Zero Slammer, Breakneck Blitz and Continental Crush. Likewise Torterra and Infernape can use the last two types as well as (respectively) Bloom Doom and Inferno Overdrive/All-Out Pummeling.

(of course the other issue with giving them Z moves if that unlike the Alola starters, they don't have signature moves. But that could be fixed in the remakes.)

Last edited:
Well for me personally, I think it would be overkill to have access to a special, powerful form AND a special powerful attack.

Well, they wouldn't. Not simultaneously. You can only hold a Mega Stone OR a Z Crystal. So they wouldn't have both in the sense of it being overkill. EDIT: Just saw your other response regarding the issue. I still disagree, but feel free to just gloss over this if you wish, since you've already responded.

(There might be an instance of this somewhere that I might be forgetting, but still)

Mega Rayquaza

(of course the other issue with giving them Z moves if that unlike the Alola starters, they don't have signature moves. But that could be fixed in the remakes.)
Sure, it could be fixed. But exclusive Z-moves don't require signature moves... See Eevee's Baton Pass becoming that stat boosting Z-move.

Sure, it could be fixed. But exclusive Z-moves don't require signature moves... See Eevee's Baton Pass becoming that stat boosting Z-move.

Maybe so, but the thing is precedent (not that that helps considering Gen 7 makes a habit of breaking past trends) and that every other potential move they have could be learned by other pokemon. (even the Hyper Beam clones, though I admit it would be interesting to see Z crystals for those), which might give them less of an incentive to give them exclusive Z-moves.

On the other hand the only Pokémon that did have signatures become Z moves were the Tapu, Pikachu and the Alolan Starters themselves. And while ORAS gave the Weather trio signatures, they didn't do the same to the Hoenn Starters.

Also the base for Extreme Evoboost is Last Resort, not Baton pass (though Baton Pass is likely what you'd use afterwards :p)

I wonder if DP remake be on Nintendo Switch, How will the poketch fit on SWitch, because the Switch only have one screen, you need two screens (3DS). I wonder if DP remake would be 3DS and Switch?

I wonder if DP remake be on Nintendo Switch, How will the poketch fit on SWitch, because the Switch only have one screen, you need two screens (3DS). I wonder if DP remake would be 3DS and Switch?

You don't really need two screens, you could just press a button to make the Pokétch show up on the one screen, or make it visible at all times in a bottom corner. It would be a lot less practical imo, but it would work. However, that does make me think we aren't getting the remake on both the 3DS and the Switch, cause they would need to make a version where the Pokétch works on the bottom screen and a version where it works on one screen, so that would just be double work. I guess they did that for Hyrule Warriors, where the 3DS had a lot of bottom screen functionality added, but the other version was on the Wii U. If there's also a version on the Switch, I doubt they want the better version to be on the 3DS, as it's the Switch that needs to sell.

If there's also a version on the Switch, I doubt they want the better version to be on the 3DS, as it's the Switch that needs to sell.

Now, I'm not sure, but the Switch can't communicate with the 3DS (or Wii U) in anyway, and a big part of Pokemon is communication.

Now, I'm not sure, but the Switch can't communicate with the 3DS (or Wii U) in anyway, and a big part of Pokemon is communication.

I'm also not sure if that's been confirmed yet, but that would even be more reason to not make the game on both the 3DS and the Switch.

I'm also not sure if that's been confirmed yet, but that would even be more reason to not make the game on both the 3DS and the Switch.

No, no it wouldn't. Quite the opposite really. Communication is a major part of this series, and having a dual release on two pieces of hardware that can't communicate opens up a giant can of worms. You would essentially have two split userbases on either console unable to play with each other. Imagine going out and finding another person with DP remakes, but uh oh, they have the other version so you can't trade and battle with them. Game Freak wants to be as inclusive as possible when it comes to local communication, so they would never create a situation like this. If the 3DS and Switch can't communicate, and it seems doubtful that they will considering the lack of BC and the vast differences in controls and system design, that's the end of that idea.

No, no it wouldn't. Quite the opposite really. Communication is a major part of this series, and having a dual release on two pieces of hardware that can't communicate opens up a giant can of worms. You would essentially have two split userbases on either console unable to play with each other. Imagine going out and finding another person with DP remakes, but uh oh, they have the other version so you can't trade and battle with them. Game Freak wants to be as inclusive as possible when it comes to local communication, so they would never create a situation like this. If the 3DS and Switch can't communicate, and it seems doubtful that they will considering the lack of BC and the vast differences in controls and system design, that's the end of that idea.

Ok I'm confused, I'm saying it would be a reason to not make a version on both the 3DS and the Switch because, as you say, that would create two split userbases. So on what part are you actually disagreeing with me?

Ok I'm confused, I'm saying it would be a reason to not make a version on both the 3DS and the Switch because, as you say, that would create two split userbases. So on what part are you actually disagreeing with me?

Oh sorry, I thought you meant it would be on both.

Yeah, that absolutely would not work. It'll most likely be on one or the other, not both.

I hope it's on the 3DS, because if they remake it on the Switch, I have a feeling it'll awkwardly jump straight into Gen 8 do to it being incompatible with Sun/Moon.

I mean, usually it goes like Starting Games then (recently) remakes, third version, and (maybe) sequels.

Gen I was a bit weird, do to it starting out. Red/Green and Red/Blue were Starting Games, and Yellow was an interesting, kind of unique, set aside game.

Gen II started the formula with Pokemon Gold/Silver (Starting Games), then Crystal (Third Version).

Gen III expanded upon it with Ruby/Sapphire (Starting Games), Firered/Leafgreen (Remakes), then Emerald (Third Version).

Gen IV did it again, with Diamond/Pearl, Platnium, Heartgold/Soulsilver.

Gen V mixed it up, with Black/White (Starting Games), then Black 2/White 2 (Sequals)

Gen VI returned to the formula a bit with X/Y, and OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire.

Gen VII has yet to be expanded on, so it'll be interesting what'll be next.

I hope it's on the 3DS, because if they remake it on the Switch, I have a feeling it'll awkwardly jump straight into Gen 8 do to it being incompatible with Sun/Moon.

I mean, usually it goes like Starting Games then (recently) remakes, third version, and (maybe) sequels.

Gen I was a bit weird, do to it starting out. Red/Green and Red/Blue were Starting Games, and Yellow was an interesting, kind of unique, set aside game.

Gen II started the formula with Pokemon Gold/Silver (Starting Games), then Crystal (Third Version).

Gen III expanded upon it with Ruby/Sapphire (Starting Games), Firered/Leafgreen (Remakes), then Emerald (Third Version).

Gen IV did it again, with Diamond/Pearl, Platnium, Heartgold/Soulsilver.

Gen V mixed it up, with Black/White (Starting Games), then Black 2/White 2 (Sequals)

Gen VI returned to the formula a bit with X/Y, and OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire.

Gen VII has yet to be expanded on, so it'll be interesting what'll be next.
Okay you do have a point, but Pokemn Diamond/Pearl/Platinum are playable on 3ds, and Stars are switch exclusive, So I think DP remake and Stars are Switch exclusive. Maybe GF might come up with a way for 3ds and switch to communicate without pokebank.

Okay you do have a point, but Pokemn Diamond/Pearl/Platinum are playable on 3ds, and Stars are switch exclusive, So I think DP remake and Stars are Switch exclusive. Maybe GF might come up with a way for 3ds and switch to communicate without pokebank.

I'd still expect Pokebank to be a thing for the Switch, but the connection is still an issue. The way i see it, converting the data would be the best bet for this but would also be a one way trip. (though given the jumps from 1 VC to bank or to 3 to 4 to 5, I expect the groundwork to had been laid out already)

The only reason Gen IV was playable on the 3DS was because the 3DS was backwards compatible with all 3DS games.

I'd still expect Pokebank to be a thing for the Switch, but the connection is still an issue. The way i see it, converting the data would be the best bet for this but would also be a one way trip. (though given the jumps from 1 VC to bank or to 3 to 4 to 5, I expect the groundwork to had been laid out already)

Isn't migrating usually a sign of a new Generation is about to start? Although Gen I allowed trading with Gen II, so I don't know...

Also, what do you think the names would be if there were Gen IV remakes? SparklingDiamond? ShiningPearl?

unless there was a rumored Alolan game being developed for the Switch that would bridge that gap. ;)
Isn't migrating usually a sign of a new Generation is about to start? Although Gen I allowed trading with Gen II, so I don't know...
a new generation needs new Pokemon and a new region. it is not based (entirely) on the console and migration. for what it's worth, six to seven does not introduce a new migration method and yet it's still (obviously) a new generation. since Bank is a server, it's likely that the server would be able to bridge the information gap between old and new generations just like it did with RBY.

Game Freak would have a decent sized hit on their hands if they did release D&P remakes on the 3DS this year. The 3DS has a large established user base that was only increased by SM.

But the largest part of me thinks we'll get a hiatus year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom