• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
@IncineROAR I highly doubt it'll be a break year, since have it in 2015, either it'll be Pokemon Stars or DP remake, I guess we'll find out in E3 gameplay

The odds are higher of a game being announced during a random Pokemon direct sometime in May than E3. When was the last time Game Freak announced a game at E3?
There won't be a May Nintendo Direct because had one 3 days a go, plus Pokemon doesn't get Direct on Third games and remake, only on main game like XY and Sun/Moon. We got OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire during the E3 trailer. They might announce pokemon game either June on E3

Last edited:
Now, I'm not sure, but the Switch can't communicate with the 3DS (or Wii U) in anyway, and a big part of Pokemon is communication.
Not confirmed, I guess. No Backwards compactiblity dosen't equal no communication.

The odds are higher of a game being announced during a random Pokemon direct sometime in May than E3. When was the last time Game Freak announced a game at E3?
It'd be repetitive,
Nintendo had a direct Now, and E3 is in June. We don't want a direct approx. every month,

Not confirmed, I guess. No Backwards compactiblity dosen't equal no communication.

I'm pretty sure the only communication between different Generations was Trading (Gen I to Gen II, and Gen VI to Gen VII), and migration (Gen III, Gen IV, Gen V, and Gen VI).

Also, if it means anything, I found this quote from the Nintendo Switch FAQ.

The Nintendo Switch console is an all-new way to play, and will not include backwards compatibility.

I'm pretty sure the only communication between different Generations was Trading (Gen I to Gen II, and Gen VI to Gen VII), and migration (Gen III, Gen IV, Gen V, and Gen VI).

Also, if it means anything, I found this quote from the Nintendo Switch FAQ.

Did you even read that I said that no Backwards compactiblity dosen't equal to no communication?
I'm pretty sure Pokemon Bank can allow 3DS to Switch migration, since it isn't reliant on any console.

Well, y'see, the Switch can't communicate with other Switches unless they're both online. That would make it impossible to battle against or trade with other people you meet IRL. Unlike a lot of other "core" aspects of Pokémon Gen VII abandoned (gyms), doing this would be removing a major selling point of the game, and would have the "lovely" effect of placing the multiplayer component of Pokémon behind a pay wall. I like the Switch, but Game Freak would have to be insane to place a main series Pokémon game on it.

Well, y'see, the Switch can't communicate with other Switches unless they're both online. That would make it impossible to battle against or trade with other people you meet IRL. Unlike a lot of other "core" aspects of Pokémon Gen VII abandoned (gyms), doing this would be removing a major selling point of the game, and would have the "lovely" effect of placing the multiplayer component of Pokémon behind a pay wall. I like the Switch, but Game Freak would have to be insane to place a main series Pokémon game on it.
where did you get the source?

Wait, no, apparently you can have multiple Switches interact with each other without the internet. I still feel it'd be a terrible idea to put Pokémon on a console that doesn't have free online services or any way to back up your precious Pokémon if the console breaks. I'd be afraid to transfer my Pokémon from Gen VII over to Stars, Gen IV remakes or Gen VIII if they're on the Switch. That being said, in an interview Tsunekazu Ishihara never said it would be the main series coming to the Switch - he explicitly mentioned "other games" such as Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and Pokkén Tournament. I'm guessing this means the next PMD game or an update of Pokkén Tournament with the currently arcade-exclusive characters will be Pokémon games the Switch will get. Keep in mind that it wasn't Game Freak who said they were working on a game on the Switch, but The Pokémon Company.

Also, the source for the rumors about Stars is kind of dodgy, and most Sun and Moon leaks were not accurate. Thankfully, the one I wanted to be accurate (Decidueye, Incineroar and Primarina) was true, but there were a lot of others I liked (Water-type Alolan Arcanine) that didn't happen.

Last edited:
I still feel it'd be a terrible idea to put Pokémon on a console that doesn't have free online services or any way to back up your precious Pokémon if the console breaks.

1. It was said that online services wouldn't cost money for every game, Pokémon could very well be one of those games it will stay free for.

2. Pokémon Bank might very well be a thing on the Switch, it would be very stupid indeed to not give us a way to back up our Pokémon, so I doubt they won't find a way to make Bank work.

That being said, in an interview Tsunekazu Ishihara never said it would be the main series coming to the Switch - he explicitly mentioned "other games" such as Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and Pokkén Tournament.

He said: "Pokemon has been about being portable, but now there is the Switch, which is a portable home console, so it has a bigger screen and higher specs than we’re used to."

The 'Pokémon has been about being portable' part sounds like he means the main series to me, as there have been side games on consoles. I assumed he named the other games as examples or something, cause it's kinda weird to say 'Pokémon has been about being portable' and then naming Pokken which isn't portable at all :p

Also, the source for the rumors about Stars is kind of dodgy, and most Sun and Moon leaks were not accurate. Thankfully, the one I wanted to be accurate (Decidueye, Incineroar and Primarina) was true, but there were a lot of others I liked (Water-type Alolan Arcanine) that didn't happen.

Eurogamer actually has a reputation of having multiple credible leaks, not sure why you think it's dodgy. It's a pretty credible news website, not something like 4chan where most of those Sun/Moon leaks came from.

EDIT: Just checked the thread title and this is the gen IV remakes thread, so please keep talk about other Pokémon games on the Switch to the threads meant for that ^^;

Last edited:
I have the feeling that both the Underground and Mt Coronet will be heavily nerfed and simplified... (and many hardcore fans will rant about it)

The Game Corner might be closed like in ORAS, but it could also be transformed into a restaurant like the one in SM and ORAS.

Pal Park and the GTS office might become normal buildings. I hope they are not just closed like the buildings in SM mostly were.

The Great Marsh could just become a regular route like the Safari in ORAS. But it could also become like the Friend Safari of XY if they decide to bring that back.

As for the Poketch Apps, I can see them keeping most of them. Unless they find some of them unnecessary...

And I have zero clue whether the Battle Frontier will be included or not. I think probably they will replace it with whatever facility the previous entry had, like the Battle Tree... But who knows.

Those are my current predictions anyway.

Last edited:
I never used the Underground, so I can't say how I'd react to any changes made to it. I remember it being reliant on multiplayer, so a revamp making it more akin to the Festival Plaza would be nice.

As for the Frontier...eh. We missed it in ORAS, chances are we'll miss it here and get a Battle Tree/Tower of some sort. Which is fine. I just wonder if we'll see Megaverse Palmer as it's head.

My main want for D/P remakes is the Distortion World. I don't want them to skip out on that amazing lore. They did well with the Delta Episode & Rayquaza, so I have hopes for them treating Giratina well too.

I think we will get the Battle Frontier, as its fans are very vocal about it being absent in ORAS. However, it will likely have Battle Tree-like difficulty.

I think we will get the Battle Frontier, as its fans are very vocal about it being absent in ORAS. However, it will likely have Battle Tree-like difficulty.
I'd rather have a Battle Tree-difficulty Battle Frontier than not having a Battle Frontier at all.
Though I think that they will tone the "pick a team that counters the player's team almost perfectly" option down, even if a little bit.

There won't be a May Nintendo Direct because had one 3 days a go

Um, so? No, really. Why the hell would this matter? Also Pokemon Directs are totally separate from Nintendo Directs. Even if they were the same, there's literally no reason not to do one a month after the other.

plus Pokemon doesn't get Direct on Third games and remake, only on main game like XY and Sun/Moon

Yet. This means absolutely nothing. Even if it's third version or remake, it could get a direct, especially if it's on the Switch. Just because something hasn't been done before doesn't mean it won't. It's the most illogical argument to be made. This mode of thought has been proven pointless time and time again.

We got OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire during the E3 trailer

False (if you mean they were announced at E3), they were announced online on the official Pokemon sites in May 2014, a month before E3.

What would see in DP remake?
A. New Mega Evolution
B. New Exclusive Z-Moves
C. Sinnoh Forms
D. All of the Above

I wish Sun & Moon had focused more on Alolan Forms (not just for Gen 1) and/or new Megas. Z Moves don't do much for me. New Pokemon are just more exciting than new moves.

I totally agree. I mean, the starter Z-moves were cool. And I enjoyed using Pikachu/Raichu's Z-moves, but forms and megas are better.

Personally, if I had to pick between Megas and Z-moves for Sinnoh remakes, I would definitely go with Megas. I really want the Sinnoh starters to get Megas. I mean, Kanto and Hoenn starters got them. And I REALLY REALLY want Johto starters to get Megas as well (PLS GAMEFREAK). I see zero reason not to give Megas to Infernape, Empoleon, and Torterra. Z-moves would be okay, but meh.

I would love to see some Sinnoh regional forms, but I won't hold my breath. I feel like it's totally possible that regional forms are Alola-only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom