• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be the one who wants to see new exclusive Z-Moves over Megas. I especially want some more non-Kanto Pokemon with exclusive Z-Moves so giving some to some Sinnoh Pokemon would be great.

Don't really have an opinion on Sinnoh forms.

It seems like it would be typical Game Freak behaviour for them to drop regional forms, but variants have so much potential it would be a shame. Look at Pokemon like Marowak and Muk, which just from a type change alone have gone from being generally quite bad to really quite good.

It even seems to affect popularity in some cases - the new Ice Vulpix and Ninetales seem way more popular than their Fire versions which is crazy to think about since it was already a popular line. Exeggutor also seems to be benefitting from more popularity and gained a bunch of fans (myself being one) with its silly Dragon form.

So many Pokemon could benefit in various ways that I hope they continue variants, even in a remake.

Megas do seem pretty fitting for a remake, but I don't know if Game Freak ever plan on returning to them. It will probably bother me more than it should if only Kanto and Hoenn starters have Megas though - Z-Moves aren't really comparable to them and I find them much less interesting.

I agree.

I honestly wouldn't care about Sinnoh starters getting megas...except for the fact that the Hoenn starters got them. And I want them to keep it up. Equal opportunities for all starters.

Having Z moves like the Alola starters would had served that purpose better, especially since the mutual exclusivity (and the mutual exclusivity between Mega-evolution and regional variants) locked the Alolan starters out of Mega evolutions.

I think Megas would fit into remake, but Gf would go through some pattern like we first got Megas in XY then follow up to ORAS with new megas.

In Sun/Moon we got only Z-moves, because Masuda wanted to focus on Z-moves, yes he was planning for Megas in Sun and Moon, but he wanted to focus on Z-moves instead. So I would be that we'll likely to get new exclusive Z-moves for the Sinnoh Starters and Sinnoh Forms, but I don't think that the way it goes.

It's not like, GF would planning on scrapping the Megas out altogether (which will be a total waist of design, money, and anime, especially for some people who still like them). Masuda stated that "Each time we make a new game, we think of particular theme and of particular elements that would work well with that game," Masuda replied when asked if Mega Evolution might return. "This time we have our Z-moves [but] if a game comes up in future that we think [Mega Evolutions] would work really well with, certainly we'll look into it... But for the minute we don't have any particular plans." We likely to see Megas "in the future", but he decides what game he'll fit megas into. For Z-moves,every pokemon learns z-moves, but it just powered up move only one time, especially exclusive z-moves for Starters and Legendaries, so IMO, it would be enough just serve up Z-moves in DP remake. Megas, They're a big entrance to XY and ORAS, but I feel like they need to do more in DP remake, maybe for Sinnoh Starters and Possibly Exclusive Z-moves for Johto Starters.

Also the rumor Nintendo Switch Pokemon "Stars", in the leak View: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5keire/im_laurakbuzz_nintendo_switch_leaker_and_full/
it stated that in "stars" we'll getting 20 new pokemon. Now the reason I brought it up, even though it's not relevant to this topic, because we don't get new pokemons in third game/remake/sequel. I wouldn't say it's alola forms, because they said we get 10 new alolan forms also, so what if these "20 new pokemon" are maybe "new megas" ;)

I would consider "stars" to be either third game/sequel, so if we get new megas in Stars, maybe GF would follow up the pattern of getting New megas in DP remake as well, so likely to see New Megas in DP remake.

As for Sinnoh Forms, well I don't know what to say about Sinnoh Forms, but since we got Alola Forms, we might see Sinnoh Forms in DP remake. Like I said GF would follow the pattern of the new mechanics are introduce, but not the pattern of each year of remake. So if they bring back New megas, new exclusive Z-moves and introduce Sinnoh Forms, They might be a main focus. But this is just speculation, so what do you think?

Last edited:
I think we will get the Battle Frontier, as its fans are very vocal about it being absent in ORAS.
I hope they do bring the BF back for the Sinnoh remakes. But I don´t think they will. Why would they bring back the smaller and less popular BF of Sinnoh, after deciding to not bring back the bigger, and more popular among fans Hoenn BF? It would make no sense. And it would make those who wanted the BF in ORAS, even more salty... ("oh, so Sinnoh fans got their BF in DP remakes, but we Hoenn fans didn´t get our BF in ORAS!?")

And more importantly, GF doesn´t seem to ever include a BF in a game that is not a third version. They probably won´t have time to include the Sinnoh BF in DP remakes even if they wanted to... Keep in mind they would not just have to remake it in Switch tier graphics, but also update it with Fairy Type, Megas and Z move stuff, etc.

That´s why I think if a BF ever returns, it will be in a third game like Emerald or Platinum. If the Stars rumours are true, that game might have a BF added, hopefully.

I hope they do bring the BF back for the Sinnoh remakes. But I don´t think they will. Why would they bring back the smaller and less popular BF of Sinnoh, after deciding to not bring back the bigger, and more popular among fans Hoenn BF? It would make no sense. And it would make those who wanted the BF in ORAS, even more salty... ("oh, so Sinnoh fans got their BF in DP remakes, but we Hoenn fans didn´t get our BF in ORAS!?")

And more importantly, GF doesn´t seem to ever include a BF in a game that is not a third version. They probably won´t have time to include the Sinnoh BF in DP remakes even if they wanted to... Keep in mind they would not just have to remake it in Switch tier graphics, but also update it with Fairy Type, Megas and Z move stuff, etc.

That´s why I think if a BF ever returns, it will be in a third game like Emerald or Platinum. If the Stars rumours are true, that game might have a BF added, hopefully.
Why not both? They could add in the missing Emerald facilities and even add some new ones.

Having Z moves like the Alola starters would had served that purpose better, especially since the mutual exclusivity (and the mutual exclusivity between Mega-evolution and regional variants) locked the Alolan starters out of Mega evolutions.

Not necessarily. Nobody ever said that they'll never get Megas. Nor did anyone ever say an Alolan forme Pokemon could never have a Mega for its species. You're speaking as if the future is known, and it isn't.

Not necessarily, it's not a strong case, but HGSS did have the Platinum BF. Which is basically the same formula they did for copy and pasting the Maison to ORAS. If they really wanted to make us happy, allow use to travel to Hoenn's BF from Sinnoh, it's a damn stretch, that's for sure, but it'd give some credibility to "The Battle Frontier Project has started!" I would also blindly accept the Hoenn's Frontier being copied and basically put on top of where the Sinnoh Frontier stood. The Sinnoh Frontier imo is just, trash. It's not nearly as exciting, the exclusive facilities it did have felt boring and extremely uncreative.

The Tower and Factory transferred over, and while that's nice and all, the three new facilities they added seemed very uncool, I can kind of give an exception to the Arcade, Dahlia was actually a pretty neat Frontier Brain, and sort of took the place of both the Battle Pike and Lucy, with the conditions of the battles being decided by a spin wheel, in other words, the facility is rather luck/RNG-based, just like the Pike was.

The Castle was boring, it followed the same formula as the Tower but without allowing hold items and making you earn facility-exclusive points to buy items and heal your Pokemon and what not.

The Hall was okay, it was basically just 1v1 battles, but the streak you had to go on for the gold was way too damn long, and the Frontier Brain could have any Pokemon, just like the Factory, which just seemed like they ran out of ideas.

My favorite facilities in Hoenn were the Dome and Palace, where you fought in a tournament in the Dome, and the Palace was one where your Pokemon chose their move, not you.

Keep in mind they would not just have to remake it in Switch tier graphics, but also update it with Fairy Type, Megas and Z move stuff, etc.
I don't know how programming works, but surely they could just import the Pokémon data? The first two weren't a problem for ORAS.

The Sinnoh games were what I like to call 'form-heavy' games, since they brought new evolutions and forms. I think the remakes could replicate the feeling with regional variants and Megas.
I think this could be their chance to improve their quality of regional forms. Most of the forms in SM were jokes/junk, the only Alola forms I like are Raichu and Ninetales (I think I like Raichu's only becuase it's my favourite Pokemon in regular form, and the regular form isn't available in SM. A-Raichu is subpar compared to Raichu.)

It's hard to not see the Tower at least returning, but then I said the same thing about the Frontier in ORAS and look what happened there. I think they'll do more with Palmer outside the Tower, though - probably to flesh Barry out.

I think this could be their chance to improve their quality of regional forms. Most of the forms in SM were jokes/junk, the only Alola forms I like are Raichu and Ninetales (I think I like Raichu's only becuase it's my favourite Pokemon in regular form, and the regular form isn't available in SM. A-Raichu is subpar compared to Raichu.)

Outside of Dugtrio (literally why) and Golem (concept is fine, but the design isn't great) I personally don't think of any the current forms are bad - in fact I think design-wise most are upgrades. And the same for usability too.

The bigger problem for me was that there was so few (10 fully evolved, 18 total) and there was none from outside Kanto. I mean, c'mon, Johto mons are almost as old at this point and lots of them could use freshening up in the same way some Kanto mons needed. Why couldn't we have gotten an Alolan Octillery that's Water/Poison based on a blue ringed octopus? A Grass/Fire Sunflora that's going the Exeggutor route and benefitting from Alola's tropical climate? Or literally done anything with Stantler to make it even the tiniest bit appealing and memorable? I also had that Corsola idea where the coral and type would change with each island, similar to Oricorio.

If we do get more variants in future games, hopefully we get a decent number and they are shared around the generations.

Not necessarily, it's not a strong case, but HGSS did have the Platinum BF. Which is basically the same formula they did for copy and pasting the Maison to ORAS.
It is quite a weak case actually, precisely for the reason you say: they only copy pasted Platinum´s BF in HGSS. They have not developed a BF for a remake, ever.
If they really wanted to make us happy, allow use to travel to Hoenn's BF from Sinnoh, it's a damn stretch, that's for sure
You know that is not happening.
but it'd give some credibility to "The Battle Frontier Project has started!"
This doesn´t need any credibility at all. It is a simple world building throwback, and is not meant to have any more credibility than that. That message is nothing more than Ohmori trying to show his world building abilities, without thinking how it could affect to some more picky players, like yourself.
The Sinnoh Frontier imo is just, trash. It's not nearly as exciting, the exclusive facilities it did have felt boring and extremely uncreative.
Allow me to disagree. IMO the Sinnoh BF beats the Emerlad BF in everything except the number of facilities.
My favorite facilities in Hoenn were the Dome and Palace, where you fought in a tournament in the Dome, and the Palace was one where your Pokemon chose their move, not you.
The Dome is my favourite Emerald Facility as well. But BW2´s PWT kinda topped the Tournament concept already.
And the Palace is my least favourite facility. Very boring and monotonous.

Edit: Also... I don´t understand why were some people surprised when the BF wasn´t included in ORAS... Since it is an Emerald exclusive feature that never appeared in RS, its possibility of appearing in ORAS was never more than 50/50, imo.

It is the same for DP remakes, I think. 50/50.

Last edited:
Outside of Dugtrio (literally why) and Golem (concept is fine, but the design isn't great) I personally don't think of any the current forms are bad - in fact I think design-wise most are upgrades. And the same for usability too.
Diglett
Digtrio
Meowth (it's just a palette swap for me)
Persian
Ratatta
Ratticate
Geodude
Gravellar
Golem

All these are design downgrades for me. That's 9 out of 18 forms. I'm prepared to bet that Diglett, Persian, and Exeggutor were finalised partly becuase they'd become memes or something.

Am I the only one who doesn't like so much the new forms? i'm much more interested on new pokemons than a recolored pattern or slightly redesigned old pokemons.

Between megas and forms, I think megas can work better in a remake and sinnoh lore in general. There's still some pokemons that still would benefit with megas - if done right. I think megas are not the best of the features, but however, they have already introduced this changing the game mechanics, and it's hard to believe megas will be ignored forever. So a remake is the best way to bring megas back with something new at the table besides a fleshed out story.

Not sure how new forms could work in an already estabilished region. Since the original pokémons and its original forms don't coexist in the same place. Of course, this can be changed so that the two forms can be found in the same game spliting between south and north of Mt coronet. Anyway, i still think SInnoh remakes will be on generation 8, and this generation there will be a sequel or third installment to finish this arc, and hopefully new forms will be exclusive to gen 7, at least for a while.

I think there's a good chance that Sinnoh's battle frontier will reappear because doing so would show they're in touch with the fanbase. ORAS was a good game, but removing the battle frontier was a mistake, so I think keeping it in Sinnoh is a way of fixing it, and it sure will attract and appease the more hard fans, so what's the problem anyway? It is smarter for them to do this than to ignore battle frotrier again.
I'll not be surprised that some fans will get salty if they bring the sinnoh battle frontrier, as there's always people complaining for the sake of doing it, but game freak will never stop doing something because of a entitled minority bitching.

Am I the only one who doesn't like so much the new forms? i'm much more interested on new pokemons than a recolored pattern or slightly redesigned old pokemons.

Well new Pokemon are unlikely to be added in a remake, while new variants are at least possible like how ORAS introduced new Megas. I'm pretty sure most people prefer new Pokemon over variants, but it's not really a likely option here.

Not sure how new forms could work in an already estabilished region. Since the original pokémons and its original forms don't coexist in the same place. Of course, this can be changed so that the two forms can be found in the same game spliting between south and north of Mt coronet.

Do you mean East vs West for Coronet? But besides that idea, there could always be a Pokedex expansion for a few variants they want to add if they're outside the Sinnoh dex. We're probably also going to be dealing with a different universe than the old Sinnoh, so chances are there's going to be other changes in the region. Some Pokemon may have just evolved differently in this one, even if they were in the old Sinnoh dex. It doesn't need to be explained perfectly in every case, the new universe can kinda just cover it for some aspects.

Well new Pokemon are unlikely to be added in a remake, while new variants are at least possible like how ORAS introduced new Megas. I'm pretty sure most people prefer new Pokemon over variants, but it's not really a likely option here.
I was talking about variants in general. I particularly don't care about it, but it's more a matter of personal taste. I don't think it's a bad idea at all, but it's unlikely that it will be in every game. They should keep variants exclusive to gen 7, as an Alola characteristic. In the lore perspective, would be somewhat no sense that every generation will have it's own mutation/regional forms. But for sure, it can work in other eventual future region and a eventual remake, but just not in every sole single game.

Do you mean East vs West for Coronet? But besides that idea, there could always be a Pokedex expansion for a few variants they want to add if they're outside the Sinnoh dex. We're probably also going to be dealing with a different universe than the old Sinnoh, so chances are there's going to be other changes in the region. Some Pokemon may have just evolved differently in this one, even if they were in the old Sinnoh dex. It doesn't need to be explained perfectly in every case, the new universe can kinda just cover it for some aspects.
Yeah, i meant east and west, sorry, i always confuse both o_O /facepalm
Talking about a different universe, I hope they give continuation to the fallers and ultra best stuff in the future regions, and Sinnoh remakes will work perfectly expanding the lore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom