• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there's a ultimate pokemon battle between Mega Evolution and Z-moves, who would win?

If there's one mechanic that you want for Sinnoh remake which would you choose?
A. Mega Evolution
B. Exclusive Z-moves
C. All of the Above
D. None of the Above

A. Mega Evolution makes sense since Sinnoh's professor studies evolution. I think it'll be cool if the Starters, Staraptor and Luxray can have mega evolutions.

On a separate note, I didn't want it but I think Sinnoh forms can work but only for pokemons from 5-7th gen and they better be rare. Pokemon from Kanto and Johto having Sinnoh forms would be weird but I guess it's tolerable if they were not previously available in Sinnoh.

Lastly, I'm fully expecting any revisit of Sinnoh to be the third part of the Lillie trilogy (part two being a revisit of Kanto). It wraps up the whole inter-dimensional aspect of Sun Moon perfectly. It'll also be pretty revolutionary of Game Freak to do "remakes" in a way that is modern and fresh and in line with the lore of the current generation. Maybe the names can be Pokemon Diamond Sun and Pearl Moon. :LOL:

Pokemon from Kanto and Johto having Sinnoh forms would be weird but I guess it's tolerable if they were not previously available in Sinnoh.

We're in a new universe, so I don't see how it would be weird. Just because it didn't happen in old Sinnoh isn't a very strong argument when we have Mega Evolution, Fairy-types, Z-Moves, Ultra Beasts and regional variants that didn't exist in old Sinnoh but will in the new one. Besides, it's not like Alola's explanation for some of its variants are particularly strong or unique to it anyway. Raichu turned into a Psychic surfer because of pancakes, after all.

If you'd be ok with Sylveon suddenly existing in a new Sinnoh then I don't see how regional variants are any different.

It'll also be pretty revolutionary of Game Freak to do "remakes" in a way that is modern and fresh and in line with the lore of the current generation.

Not really, they tied ORAS into XY's.

Last edited:
You do have point, Eurogamer said the "Stars" is Switch exclusive, I doubt they'll be on 3Ds, because they already have HD version of pikipek. It would make sense if they did it Sinnoh Remake on 3DS and Switch.

Here's how it's going down
2017: DP Remake (N3DS/2DS XL and Switch)
2018: Pokemon Stars (Nintendo Switch Exclusive)
2018 Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (N3DS/2DS XL and Switch)
2019: Gen VIII (Switch Exclusive)
2020: DP Sequel (Switch Exclusive)
2021: Black and White 2 remake (Switch Exclusive or a new system)
2022: Break Year
2023: A sequel to Gen VIII (Switch Exclusive or a new system)
2024: Gen IX (a new system exclusive)
2025: XY remake (a new system exclusive)
2026: Kanto Sequel (a new system exclusive and 20th anniversary of Red/Green)

What, a DP remake AND a Sequel? That's never happening.
And, haven't we already got the 20th anniversary of Red and Green? That would be the 30th anniversary you're describing...

Honestly, with all this discussion of alternate timelines, it feels like Pokémon is turning into Zelda.

That's not true. Zelda has 3 timeliens and AFAIK the opportunity to continue any of them (or make prequels). Pokemon for mechanical reasons has to go forth in any new timelines they make if it introduced mechanics like mega-evolution.

And more to the point, the timeline differences in Pokemon are not that significant (so far, anyway), while in Zelda the post-split events don't seem at all parallel.

We're in a new universe, so I don't see how it would be weird. Just because it didn't happen in old Sinnoh isn't a very strong argument when we have Mega Evolution, Fairy-types, Z-Moves, Ultra Beasts and regional variants that didn't exist in old Sinnoh but will in the new one. Besides, it's not like Alola's explanation for some of its variants are particularly strong or unique to it anyway. Raichu turned into a Psychic surfer because of pancakes, after all.

If you'd be ok with Sylveon suddenly existing in a new Sinnoh then I don't see how regional variants are any different.
IMO, a newly discovered evolutionary (in the Pokemon world sense of the word) method is easier to swallow than a mass migration of species native to a neighbouring region whereby all of them evolved (in the real world sense of the word) without any significant change in the climate/living conditions. And yea I suppose we are in a new universe now but I personally don't think that that in itself is a free pass for anything. IMO, Sinnoh forms would just seem kinda tacky unless they have a convincing reason for it. The weak reasoning used for some Alola forms wouldn't be so funny a second time round.

Also I'm talking about it from the perspective of a sequel to SM and not a plain remake. If it's a sequel to SM, I think it makes perfect sense in terms of the timeline for megas and z-moves to have spread to Sinnoh. If it's just a plain remake then it's a little weird storyline wise to implement all these new mechanics and also a bit pointless to me since the only real draw to the game would be new graphics.

Not really, they tied ORAS into XY's.
I didn't play ORAS but I would believe that the ties between the games are not as tight as BW and BW2?

Honestly, with all this discussion of alternate timelines, it feels like Pokémon is turning into Zelda.

Nah, what Pokémon has going on isn't even that complicated.

The idea of the games representing parallel timelines with slight differences has always been sort of baked into the series structure, with the opposing versions of singular stories. The potential was always there, and BW/B2W2 played around with it a bit more directly.

ORAS came along and extended the logic from "the opposing versions are parallel timelines" to "remakes and the originals can also be parallel timelines," using Mega Evolution as the justification for this. Ultimately though, the overarching events in the varying timelines are the same, with the differences existing in the minor details and a couple of characters that were dumped from one timeline to the other. What we got wasn't Hyrule Historia - it was more just a mild reboot with a few sketchy-but-negligible inconsistencies.

I didn't play ORAS but I would believe that the ties between the games are not as tight as BW and BW2?

No, but why would they be? ORAS still worked the lore of Mega Evolution and the ultimate weapon from XY into its own revision of the RS storyline, and built a whole new post-game storyline out of it as well, and prequelized a few other bits and bobs like Mr. Bonding.

No, but why would they be?

Well I didn't say that they had to be. I was just saying that the link between XY and ORAS is not at all close to what I envisioned, which would be a direct continuation of Lillie's story in SM but set in different regions.

IMO, a newly discovered evolutionary (in the Pokemon world sense of the word) method is easier to swallow than a mass migration of species native to a neighbouring region whereby all of them evolved (in the real world sense of the word) without any significant change in the climate/living conditions.

So you're basically saying that no one in the old Sinnoh could have showed enough affection to an Eevee which knew Charm and that that's a condition that's only possible in the new universe?

Do you not think it's super contrived that only Kanto Pokemon have had to adapt at all and the adaptation is only happening in one region? Johto is literally nextdoor to Kanto and no Johto Pokemon went through changes in Alola despite a similar change in environemnt. It should be happening in other regions and to all kinds of Pokemon if we're that concerned with things being believable.

I'd like to know how you know that nothing changed for their living conditions/climate though because if Game Freak are willing to put Sandshrew in Alola on an icy mountain (when there's a perfectly reasonable rugged landscape and desert at the bottom of that mountain like where you usually find Sandshrew) for no other reason than explain why it suits their Ice-type idea they had for it, then they can easily put a Magcargo in Sinnoh's ocean if that's what they want to do.

I think region variants will hapen but in future generations only, not in past ones, past ones will have more megas for that occasion.

Maybe only Kanto pokemon where brough to Alola or From alola to Kanto?
That makes sense.
In future regions that could also be a chance, with that some regions had the same pokemon like in kanto and johto and then we wil get more maybe?

New Megas over variants in remakes would be fine for me. I just don't like Megas as much as variants due to the restrictions they have on your team... and I'm partly worried that variants might end up a one-game-and-done victim that they don't explore further, which would be a shame. Which is why whatever the next game ends up being I hope they support them more :U

The new shtick will probably be something different if the remakes are released in the next generation...

The new shtick will probably be something different if the remakes are released in the next generation...
I highly doubt the DP remake would be in Gen VIII, Since Sun/Moon and Diamond/Pearl connect with each other. But I don't know what will be the next gimmick we'll in the next generation

Gen 6: Mega Evolution and Primal Reversion
Gen 7: Z-moves and Alolan Forms
Gen 8: ???

Maybe in Gen 4 Remake we'll get new megas, new z-moves and sinnoh forms

Connect with each other... That's quite the exaggeration. The Kanto connection is far more blatant and yet for whatever reason you don't think (or rather want) that Kanto will be revisited until 2026.

Connect with each other... That's quite the exaggeration. The Kanto connection is far more blatant and yet for whatever reason you don't think (or rather want) that Kanto will be revisited until 2026.
We already have Kanto remake, Don't you think that Kanto Sequels are too soon, plus I think Sinnoh deserve more love and shine than Kanto. Plus we have so many Kanto reference, not to mention, the 20th anniversary movie coming up in Japan. I'm not saying that Kanto Sequels won't happen, it'll happen in the future, but Sinnoh deserve more love and the only way to celebrate 10th anniversary to remake Diamond and Pearl or have a sequel to it

Sequels and remakes are two different things, and last I checked, FRLG are older than DP.

And the Kanto movie is exactly the sort of thing that makes a return to Kanto this year more likely than DP remakes. If you got over the "Sinnoh deserves more love" bias, you would see that.

Sequels and remakes are two different things, and last I checked, FRLG are older than DP.

And the Kanto movie is exactly the sort of thing that makes a return to Kanto this year more likely than DP remakes. If you got over the "Sinnoh deserves more love" bias, you would see that.
Don't you think 20th annversary movie hints a the next game is obvious, the last thing that GF doesn't want to do is be predictable, because having kanto sequel from 20th anniversary movie is too obvious. As for Sinnoh, either it might happen this year or next, I doubt they'll wait till Gen VIII for remake

If it were that obvious, then a lot more people would be talking about it.

Most fans haven't even thought about the idea of Kanto sequels. They're too stuck in the remake mentality.

If it were that obvious, then a lot more people would be talking about it.

Most fans haven't even thought about the idea of Kanto sequels. They're too stuck in the remake mentality.
Look, it's the 20th anniversary and sun/moon is the best way to celebrate with all the kanto reference, we have VC of red/blue/yellow, and finally the 20th anniversary movie coming up. We have some much Kanto stuff as it is, but what do we have sinnoh, nothing, plus we know fans are begging for DP remake, a kanto sequel might ruin a chance of see DP remake happening. Also if you want to talk more about Kanto sequel go to this Kanto/Johto Sequels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom