• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just one last thing: Waiting until the next generation for DP remakes is hardly the end of the world. That is what Hoenn fans had to do.
I wouldn't count DP remake till Gen VIII, whether if they make DP remake on 3ds, switch, or both. We got the whole Gen 7 to find out.

I highly doubt the DP remake would be in Gen VIII, Since Sun/Moon and Diamond/Pearl connect with each other.

I don't see how SM connect with DP at all. SM only heavily connects with Kanto. As for every other region, there's a relatively equal amount of references. There are almost always references. IF we're talking about connection of SM to another region being evidence for the next game, then I'd bet my money on Kanto. Not necessarily Kanto remakes, no no. But a Kanto sequel/SM sequel taking place in Kanto? Totally possible. Lillie travels to Kanto, the PC is from Kanto, the professor challenged the Kanto league, Red and Blue show up, it could provide a sequel to both Alola and Kanto games if done correctly (taking place directly after SM and continuing Lillie's story perhaps, and taking place 15-20 years after RGBY, so sort of a sequel to both).

Don't get me wrong, I would loooove Sinnoh remakes to happen. And I think, at some point, they will. But I'm very confident that they won't be in Gen VII and they won't be on the 3DS.

Sequels and remakes are two different things, and last I checked, FRLG are older than DP.

And the Kanto movie is exactly the sort of thing that makes a return to Kanto this year more likely than DP remakes.

Precisely, on both points. I'm not saying we'll get Kanto remakes, per se, but FRLG are next in line, which suggests at least a revisit/sequel.

I hadn't even thought of the movie's influence yet. That's even bigger. Not only does the movie take place (and center around) Kanto, but it also includes just enough new content from later generations.

See what I'm getting at? That's exactly how a new Kanto game would likely be--taking place in good old Kanto, but with a bunch of new stuff and later generation Pokemon presence. The movie, paired with new Kanto games (of some kind), is not only a huge hint, but an example of marketing genius.

Small aside: Solar Red and Lunar Blue roll off the tongue pretty nicely ;)

Last edited:
Which of the predictions do you think would happen?

A. 2017: Gen IV Remake (N3DS/N2DS XL and Switch)
2018: Kanto Sequels (N3DS/N2DS XL and Switch)
2019: Pokemon "Stars" (Switch Exclusive)
2020: Gen VIII (Nintendo Switch Exclusive)

B. 2017: Kanto Sequels (N3DS/N2DS XL)
2018: Pokemon "Stars" (Switch Exclusive)
2019: Gen VIII (Nintendo Switch Exclusive)
2020: Gen IV remake (Switch Exclusive)

C. 2017: Pokemon "Stars" (Nintendo Switch Exclusive)
2018: Gen VIII (Switch Exclusive)
2019: Gen IV (Switch Exclusive)
2020: Kanto Sequels (Switch Exclusive)

None of the above. At least not really. If I had to predict, I would say:

2017--Alola/Kanto game (Alola and/or Kanto, sequel to SM and/or RGBY) (NDS family)
2018--Gen VIII (Switch)
2019--Gen IV remakes (Switch)
2020--Break year

D. 2017: Break year
2018: Stars or Kanto Sequels(Switch)
2019: Gen VIII (Switch)
2020: Sinnoh remakes (Switch)

2017: Kanto sequels (hopefully with Johto included, but I guess it could be Alola instead) (3DS and possibly Switch too)
2018: Gap
2019: Generation VIII (Switch)
2020: DP remakes (Switch)

So you're basically saying that no one in the old Sinnoh could have showed enough affection to an Eevee which knew Charm and that that's a condition that's only possible in the new universe?

Do you not think it's super contrived that only Kanto Pokemon have had to adapt at all and the adaptation is only happening in one region? Johto is literally nextdoor to Kanto and no Johto Pokemon went through changes in Alola despite a similar change in environemnt. It should be happening in other regions and to all kinds of Pokemon if we're that concerned with things being believable.

I'd like to know how you know that nothing changed for their living conditions/climate though because if Game Freak are willing to put Sandshrew in Alola on an icy mountain (when there's a perfectly reasonable rugged landscape and desert at the bottom of that mountain like where you usually find Sandshrew) for no other reason than explain why it suits their Ice-type idea they had for it, then they can easily put a Magcargo in Sinnoh's ocean if that's what they want to do.

I'm not sure why you are being so angry, ranty and insistent on your views because from the part of my message that you did not quote, I did accept that it could happen if there's a convincing reason for it. With regards to Eevee and Sylveon, it was impossible to show affection to any Pokemon before Kalos since affection was never a thing until the good people of Kalos invented it so yes, no one in the old Sinnoh could have shown enough affection to an Eevee which knew Charm (which was also previously only known as a normal type move to the people of Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh/Unova and hence falling short of the requirements for an evolution to Sylveon). Do I think it is super contrived that only Kanto pokemon have had to adapt? Yes a little... but like you said, Sandshrew and Vulpix were not found where they would usually be found so it makes sense for there to be a change in form. If the other pokemons from the other generations were found where their living conditions are pretty much similar then I don's see why it would be necessary for them to have a regional variation.

Moving on...

I think the upcoming games would be
2017: Kanto/SM Sequel
2018: Sinnoh/SM Sequel
2019: Break
2020: 8th Gen (Switch)

2020 is too late to move onto the Switch.
Yea probably but I'd prefer if they do all these remakes/revisits sooner and in the same generation/console firstly because I think there's a good way to tie in Sinnoh with the SM story and secondly because I personally find these remakes/revisits boring so I would rather we be done with all of them ASAP so that we can start Gen 8 on a brand new page without having to look back. Maybe they can debut Gen 8 on the switch in 2019 like you have suggested.

I really don't agree that there is anything to connect between SM and DP. If there is... It can wait.

Remake fatigue is not a good thing. Game Freak should wait until there is a noticeable demand for remakes, which isn't the case now.

Last edited:
Well the dimensions and space thing seems like a good fit to me imo! If they could make it work then I'll rather they do it now. Otherwise, I would actually prefer if they don't do any remake ever since I honestly feel like there isn't much of a point to them.

I'm not sure why you are being so angry, ranty and insistent on your views because from the part of my message that you did not quote, I did accept that it could happen if there's a convincing reason for it.

I'm not being ranty, angry or insistent, so I'd appreciate if you didn't resort to snide comments like that. :/ It's a discussion, if you don't want me or anyone to disagree with you then that's not my fault. I'll take the hint and not bother discussing this further.

--

To make this abrupt end less awkward, which characters would people like to see get redesigns in the remakes? I really liked what they did with most of the ORAS characters. Brawly in particular went from looking like a generic NPC to pretty cool imo.

Last edited:
Oh sorry but I did feel like you were being pretty aggressive towards me when I was just stating my own preference. It's ok tho. We can still discuss this if you like <3

Reactions: Zeb
Oh sorry but I did feel like you were being pretty aggressive towards me when I was just stating my own preference. It's ok tho. We can still discuss this if you like <3

It's ok, I don't want to drag something on if someone felt I was pressuring them or being ranty. It's probably best to just leave it and move on.

I was just editing something into my previous post to make it less awkward too, so I might as well just post it here. :D

Which characters would people like to see get redesigns in the remakes? I really liked what they did with most of the ORAS characters. Brawly in particular went from looking like a generic NPC to pretty cool imo.

The only thing I want is Dawn not getting the same redesign treatment as May and I'm good :p Though I also wasn't a big fan of Maxie's and Archie's redesign, so I fear for Cyrus a bit...

That said, I do am very curious what they're going to do with Team Galactic's outfit, they're my second favourite team after Team Skull so can't wait to see that. The designs of the Sinnoh Gym Leaders are already pretty solid imo, so for them I'm mostly just hoping they don't ruin it too ^^;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom