• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think of it this way: Long ago Dragonite had no wings, so it was always at sea. Simple and to the point.

Dragon/Fire would just add fuel to the "Charizard and Dragonite are too alike" fire.

... What fools would possibly argue that Charizard and Dragonite are too alike? That argument doesn't even make sense. The only similarity they have is that they are bipedal Pokémon based on Dragons. Not only do they not look anything alike, they have different types, BST and move pools. Everything about them is different. If anyone attempted to argue that with me, my brain would get a headache just trying to comprehend what they just said.

Dragonite and Mega Charizard X would be better to compare, because they would share the same type combination, however, I certainly would not consider that as enough of a reason to NOT have a Dragon/Fire variant Dragonite.

Obviously, I was talking about Mega Charizard X.

Good, because I was genuinely worried that there were people actually making that argument between Dragonite and normal Charizard. Although silly arguments shouldn't really be surprising anymore.

Still, I don't see Mega Charizard and Dragonite sharing the same combination to be any kind of problem. I don't see why anyone should feel bothered by it, considering one would be a mega evolution, and another being a normal, regional variant Pokémon. There'd still be enough differences between the two. Seems to me that anyone making this argument would just be grasping at straws solely because they'd dislike the idea of a fire type Dragonite.

There was one member here who compared vanilla Charizard to Dragonite...

Anyway, I'll just say that I prefer the Dragon/Water idea and leave it at that. I don't expect either one to show up in DP remakes.

@QueenEevee I was just replying to Akira Bond's post about Mega Dragonite. I'd like to see an era variant in Kanto and Johto.

I think I prefer Dragon/Fairy Dragonite with major resemblance to shiny Dragonair. It was the 'original' evolution of Dragonair (a la Exeggutor), but different factors in other areas led to Dragonite being Dragon/Flying, and became bulkier.

I thought it was obvious since we were talking about Dragon/Fire and only Mega Charizard X has that typing (other than Reshiram). Whatever.

And I'd rather that Dragonair get its own form akin to Eternal Floette. Making a Dragonite variant more similar to Dragonair would feel wrong.

I have a question, How would the Festival Plaza react to seeing players from other games in the same Generation (that would likely not have the Plaza themselves)?

What would the lore behind era variants be? A time machine? Alternate dimensions?

What would the lore behind era variants be? A time machine? Alternate dimensions?
I would imagine some kind of island or otherwise secluded area where creature wouldn't have the necessity to evolve the way we know them to. Like, the way relicanth is said to be unaltered for years. It's a living fossil, hasn't needed to evolve at all. I believe in the real world, tortoises are like that? I think I read somewhere that tortoises haven't had the need to evolve much, and that kind of thing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A fictional example I can think of is the dinosaur island in One Piece. Dinosaurs still exist there because the climate allows it, and so the process of evolution that happened everywhere else didn't take place.

That's all I got. Neat concept though.

Or maybe I'm not quite understanding the original idea and I'm just spewing nonsense.

Seeing people thinking about remakes on 3DS makes me cringe. DP remake on 3DS would bring GF's very philosophy into question.

Why did remakes start in the first place?
When RS were not compactible with earlier devices, you couldn't trade to or from Kanto and Johto. So, they decided to make new games which would be compactible with the latest platform so that you could catch and trade Pokemon from them,
HGSS was made with a similar state of mind on the DS.
ORAS also were made with the same vision in mind.

But, thanks to Backwards compactiblity, DP can be fully played on the 3DS. They make remakes only when the game in question cannot be played any more.
Since DP is fully functional on the 3DS, there is no reason in accordance the GF's philosophy that DP will be remade for the 3DS.
They will wait for the next console, which might be (most probably) the Switch.

Yeah. The DS games even had decent sales last year given their age.

Compatibility is certainly not the main reason for remakes, but when it comes to deciding which system is more appropriate, it is most definitely a factor.

Seeing people thinking about remakes on 3DS makes me cringe. DP remake on 3DS would bring GF's very philosophy into question.

Why did remakes start in the first place?
When RS were not compactible with earlier devices, you couldn't trade to or from Kanto and Johto. So, they decided to make new games which would be compactible with the latest platform so that you could catch and trade Pokemon from them,
HGSS was made with a similar state of mind on the DS.
ORAS also were made with the same vision in mind.

But, thanks to Backwards compactiblity, DP can be fully played on the 3DS. They make remakes only when the game in question cannot be played any more.
Since DP is fully functional on the 3DS, there is no reason in accordance the GF's philosophy that DP will be remade for the 3DS.
They will wait for the next console, which might be (most probably) the Switch.

other then the Pokemon being nontransferable Both gen 1 and gen 2 were fully compatible on the the GBA and GBA SP

Not only that despite the fact they DP are "fully compatible" on the 3ds it still requires two system and a gen v game to get your pokemon over . hoops this day in age that only a diehard nut would jump through

and the issue with the switch is nintendo (unlike most consumers) largely doesn't really see it as a portable but merely a dedicated home console that you can take with you unlike the 3ds family design of being a portable first that can be played at home or anywhere and as such despite the merging of some divisions leaves open the possibility of a 3ds successor system. it because of that the switch doesn't have 3ds and/or ds BC

There is no reason to bother transferring from DPPt when all Pokemon are available between the 3DS games. The next game, regardless of what it is, will likely phase out XY and ORAS.

For FRLG, the original games being playable on the GBA was irrelevant when there was no compatiblity with RS. Sure, Game Freak could have just stuffed all the Pokemon into Hoenn, but they knew that an older region would be more profitable and Kanto remakes were a logical choice (although I would have preferred sequels).

I'm pretty sure my stance on Sinnoh not being the only region that can be revisited is well known. It really comes down to which region is more suited for the 3DS' swan song (maybe with a Switch port) than bolstering the Switch's library in a few years.

and the issue with the switch is nintendo (unlike most consumers) largely doesn't really see it as a portable
From what I remember, it is said to be a 'hybrid'. Handheld+Console. It is up to the consumer what is the handheld/console ratio of their own Switch.

[QUOTW]despite the merging of some divisions leaves open the possibility of a 3ds successor system. it because of that the switch doesn't have 3ds and/or ds BC[/QUOTE]
What? The only reason Switch dosen't have BC is the lack of a second screen. Not that a successor is in line. BC can never be an argument to suggest that a console is not a successor of the other.
And a new 3DS successor will just eat into Switch sales. I just expect a more affordable Switch mini without a dock to be the handheld.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom