• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A new dedicated handheld won't eat into Switch sales. The Switch is larger and not as portable, but people would buy it because of the good graphics. A dedicated handheld is smaller, more portable and cheaper, so those will be among the reasons why people would buy one. The market for dedicated handhelds still exists. As for DP remakes, I think that they will use Platinum's dex. They would be stupid to bring back DP's low type variety.

From what I remember, it is said to be a 'hybrid'. Handheld+Console. It is up to the consumer what is the handheld/console ratio of their own Switch.

despite the merging of some divisions leaves open the possibility of a 3ds successor system. it because of that the switch doesn't have 3ds and/or ds BC
What? The only reason Switch dosen't have BC is the lack of a second screen. Not that a successor is in line. BC can never be an argument to suggest that a console is not a successor of the other.
And a new 3DS successor will just eat into Switch sales. I just expect a more affordable Switch mini without a dock to be the handheld.

it may be a 'hybrid'. Handheld+Console. BUT nintendo views the console primarily as a home console to be hooked to your tv. Reggie was very clear on that with this statement "a home console that you can take with you on the go" and thus the 3ds family is very much part of portable plans going forward to at least the end 2018 to 2019 it why they phased out the stock new nintendo 3ds to be replaced with the new nintendo 2ds xl

The 2nd screen could easily be emulated and combined in some form with the 6.2 inch screen (they essentially did that with the 2ds as it was all one screen) it just probably is more trouble then its worth though as the console most likely would have to be flipped vertically and the joy con either be use completely wireless or some way to be mounted on the traditional top and bottom of the console to

it doubtful at best for a switch mini (handheld only version) for multiple reasons

1 locking down the console to handheld-only sort of defeats the whole "Switch" thing and would esseltally make it so most developers would most likely ignore the dock increase in hardware power
2. the switch is largely not targeting kids like the portable market does it a different market and as such largely wouldn't eat switch sales
3 massive revenue loss of accessories
4 Cost at this point the tablet alone cost 167 USd the joy cons as uch as 90 produce and even if they were ALL COMBINED a smaller screen even you still have the problem that the tegra x1 SOC at 20 mm can't really get that much smaller either
5 t’s not just a handheld, it’s Nintendo’s next-generation console, the competitor to the PS4 Pro, and Microsoft’s upcoming Project Scorpio.

I'd love to be proven wrong in few years but i just don't see it

You need to look at the most popular mockup of the Switch mini. If solves most of the issues.
NeoGAF

locking down the console to handheld-only sort of defeats the whole "Switch" thing and would esseltally make it so most developers would most likely ignore the dock increase in hardware power

the switch is largely not targeting kids like the portable market does it a different market and as such largely wouldn't eat switch sales

massive revenue loss of accessories

Cost at this point the tablet alone cost 167 USd the joy cons as uch as 90 produce and even if they were ALL COMBINED a smaller screen even you still have the problem that the tegra x1 SOC at 20 mm can't really get that much smaller either
They make profit on the console. The JoyCons don't cost $90 to produce. Nintendo buy stock of components in bulk, this gives them a discount on the components. So, they get them cheaper than consumer price.

EDIT: in the hypothetical scenario that they do cost $90
A Reddit user posted
From a teardown, the JoyCons add about $90 to the cost. A lot of that could be eliminated by not needing bluetooth on them, not needing the IR, and not needing the additional batteries since they're not going to be detached, plus not needing the extra materials necessary to facilitate the slide rails and auto-pairing mechanic (possibly NFC but doubtful). They could shave the cost down to about $50 for the attached JoyCons, instead of $90.

Last edited:
it may be a 'hybrid'. Handheld+Console. BUT nintendo views the console primarily as a home console to be hooked to your tv. Reggie was very clear on that with this statement "a home console that you can take with you on the go"

it doubtful at best for a switch mini (handheld only version) for multiple reasons

1 locking down the console to handheld-only sort of defeats the whole "Switch" thing and would esseltally make it so most developers would most likely ignore the dock increase in hardware power
2. the switch is largely not targeting kids like the portable market does it a different market and as such largely wouldn't eat switch sales
4 Cost at this point the tablet alone cost 167 USd the joy cons as uch as 90 produce and even if they were ALL COMBINED a smaller screen even you still have the problem that the tegra x1 SOC at 20 mm can't really get that much smaller either
5 t’s not just a handheld, it’s Nintendo’s next-generation console, the competitor to the PS4 Pro, and Microsoft’s upcoming Project Scorpio.

Every single Nintendo trailer and advertisement completely contradicts you. Every advertisement featuring Switch shows a group of people playing the Switch together OUTSIDE of their houses. Plus, that quote from reggie technically describes exactly what a hand held console is anyway. Use whatever reasoning you can attempt, nothing changes the fact that it is an exact hybrid, and is a fully hand held capable device. It doesn't matter at all whether Nintendo sees it as more home console or handheld, that changes nothing. It is still a full hybrid console and that was Nintendo's intention.

1. Creating a new seperate handheld ALSO defeats the purpose of the 'switch thing.'
2. In what way is Nintendo Switch not targeted towards children? Parental controls have been very well created and promoted, and again, most advertisements show either children or young teenagers playing.

i agree. Nintendo's never been one to release a hot feature only for future iterations of that console to drop it to serve as a sort of price reduction.
Nintendo's brand is and p much has always been family friendly gaming. the Switch definitely is targeting kids, but is also making a better effort to target older players (who, as far as i can tell, gravitate towards Sony and Microsoft).
i mean not buying a Switch period is revenue loss regardless; at least with someone buying a Switch Mini they'd get some of that money back.
that doesn't disqualify Nintendo from coming out with a portable-only version though. the whole point of the Switch would be so that Nintendo can combine it's handheld and console division into one rather than have it continued to be balkanized.

Since most of the Alola forms are of types that were either rare or nonexistent in Gen 1, how about some Fire-type Sinnoh forms?

You need to look at the most popular mockup of the Switch mini. If solves most of the issues.
NeoGAF

They make profit on the console. The JoyCons don't cost $90 to produce. Nintendo buy stock of components in bulk, this gives them a discount on the components. So, they get them cheaper than consumer price.

EDIT: in the hypothetical scenario that they do cost $90
A Reddit user posted

It may solve some issues but its doesn't solve the elephant in the room and that's the tegra x1 SOC at 20nm can't really be downsized much farther if at all which is also why they were forced to put cooling solution (fan) on the chip in the console

and even getting stuff in bulk only reduces the cost so much as those who make it have to make money to which is why despite my 90 USD price tag the joy cons still cost nintendo 50 to 60 bucks most likely and the tablet even it bulk cost 140 to 150 usd the dock is most likely the cheapest at under 50 bucks total all said and done the switch still cost nintendo 240 to 260 to make (most estimates i have seen say 250 to 260 on average ) .

my point being, at this point, even if the dock was removed, they were able to make it smaller and combine the joy con with it. the "switch mini" would still retail at 200 USD far short of the ideal 150 to 170 USD nintendo most likely would want

Every single Nintendo trailer and advertisement completely contradicts you. Every advertisement featuring Switch shows a group of people playing the Switch together OUTSIDE of their houses. Plus, that quote from reggie technically describes exactly what a hand held console is anyway. Use whatever reasoning you can attempt, nothing changes the fact that it is an exact hybrid, and is a fully hand held capable device. It doesn't matter at all whether Nintendo sees it as more home console or handheld, that changes nothing. It is still a full hybrid console and that was Nintendo's intention.

1. Creating a new separate handheld ALSO defeats the purpose of the 'switch thing.'
2. In what way is Nintendo Switch not targeted towards children? Parental controls have been very well created and promoted, and again, most advertisements show either children or young teenagers playing.

I never said it wasn't a portable or hybrid console the problem is despite the trailers and there possible intentions as depicted in them, nintendo largely doesn't view it as part of there console strategy largely as such yet

1 having the 3ds out past this year probably does the same thing
2 every major console out nowadays has some form of parental controls not only that the major 2 reasons that it isn't really a kids console yet, Price (its why the 2ds bundled with mario kart was massive hit last year along with S&M that and pokemon go) not only retail but the cost to get fixed if the kid break it and bulkiness

i agree. Nintendo's never been one to release a hot feature only for future iterations of that console to drop it to serve as a sort of price reduction.

Nintendo's brand is and p much has always been family friendly gaming. the Switch definitely is targeting kids, but is also making a better effort to target older players (who, as far as i can tell, gravitate towards Sony and Microsoft).

i mean not buying a Switch period is revenue loss regardless; at least with someone buying a Switch Mini they'd get some of that money back.

that doesn't disqualify Nintendo from coming out with a portable-only version though. the whole point of the Switch would be so that Nintendo can combine it's handheld and console division into one rather than have it continued to be balkanized.

most everyone including Nintendo knew or knows the 3d was largely a gimmick so it was eventually going to get removed most likely anyway not only that removing features is done by all companies in some form or another

see number 2 above

nintendo other then few title like BOTW nowadays outsources a major portion of there development to 2nd party companies and despite the restructure most likely won't change that approach

I don't want a Diamond/Pearl remake; however, Sinnoh could be like a side-region like Kanto was for Gen II, if we do get a redo, I'd like it to have the Pokemon following ability like there was in Heartgold and Soulsilver, (which was the only reason I bought those games).

I don't want a Diamond/Pearl remake; however, Sinnoh could be like a side-region like Kanto was for Gen II, if we do get a redo, I'd like it to have the Pokemon following ability like there was in Heartgold and Soulsilver, (which was the only reason I bought those games).
The only two-region game they'll do is Kanto/Johto. It'll be better if they did a Sinnoh remake/sequel, than making the sinnoh region in the side line, eventhough, it hasn't been remade yet

The only two-region game they'll do is Kanto/Johto. It'll be better if they did a Sinnoh remake/sequel, than making the sinnoh region in the side line, eventhough, it hasn't been remade yet
Not really a fan of Sinnoh, but they'd need some special feature for me to buy it, (console, Pokemon following you, or even all the gym leaders like in Black2 and White2. Or they could make a different story with the same region?

Not really a fan of Sinnoh, but they'd need some special feature for me to buy it, (console, Pokemon following you, or even all the gym leaders like in Black2 and White2. Or they could make a different story with the same region?
Maybe they'll do Sinnoh Sequel instead of a remake, because it'll have a different story, it'll be like black 2/white 2.

3DS was $250 at release. N2DSXL is their budget handheld.

i would say the original model 2ds at 80 USD is more of the budget one but the new 2ds xl basically the same thing in more premium package and is priced in the sweet spot for most handhelds i also am planning on getting one if they release better colors and "upgrade" from my red and black 3ds xl, via trade in as i never use the 3d and want a couple of the more premium features like the extra c-stick and possibly the SNES VC .

And it should be noted the when the original model 3ds launched at 250 USD the console damn near sunk because of the price tag . It wasn't until the july of the same year price drop by roughly a 1/3 to 170 USD and the ambassador program for launch owners that the ship began to no longer be taking on water and was afloat again.

And it should be noted the when the original model 3ds launched at 250 USD the console damn near sunk because of the price tag . It wasn't until the july of the same year price drop by roughly a 1/3 to 170 USD and the ambassador program for launch owners that the ship began to no longer be taking on water and was afloat again.

$200 is still less than what the 3DS was at launch.

IMO, it's better paying $150 for New Nintendo 2DS XL, than paying $400 for Switch (which is expensive, that's the same price I pay for my Xbox One Console)

Kind of nitpicking here, but the Switch is $300 flat. Technically $326ish if you wanna add tax, but either way it's not $400. Anyway I've never understood people when they claim that needing to buy a new system is a deal breaker for buying a game. If you want to play the newest games you have to buy the newest system. It's a simple fact of life. It may sound harsh, but if someone can't afford a new system then they can't buy the games for it. Just because a system is expensive shouldn't hinder a game developers need to move forward. If something is expensive then you (not YOU you, but in general lol) need to save up the money some how. The idea that Pokemon shouldn't go to the Switch just because it's more expensive than a second generation version of a side version of the 3DS is ridiculous. Even if (hypothetically) we were going into a new gen or something people would still complain about having to jump systems. The cold truth is that if people want to play a game then they need to have the system it's for. It's not "unfair" for GF to make the jump to a new system and it certainly isn't dumb. People need to get over the idea that a game should just come out for the system THEY have or would rather spend money on just because they don't want to buy the other product......Sorry I don't mean to rant or get on you particularly, but it's kind of a pet peeve of mine when people think a game should come out for a system just because they don't want to put the time and money into a newer system. IMO people shouldn't hold games or developers back just because they don't have the money. It might sound harsh of me, but that's just how the gaming industry works.....lol

$200 is still less than what the 3DS was at launch.

yes but that doesn't change the problem that most consumers who buy handheld consoles won't fork out 200 USD for one no matter how great the games are (simple sales stats prove this) and because of that the new 3ds xl just like the two prior xl models are considered by nintendo to be not only the premium version of handheld console but largely a more niche market

Kind of nitpicking here, but the Switch is $300 flat. Technically $326ish if you wanna add tax, but either way it's not $400. Anyway I've never understood people when they claim that needing to buy a new system is a deal breaker for buying a game. If you want to play the newest games you have to buy the newest system. It's a simple fact of life. It may sound harsh, but if someone can't afford a new system then they can't buy the games for it. Just because a system is expensive shouldn't hinder a game developers need to move forward. If something is expensive then you (not YOU you, but in general lol) need to save up the money some how. The idea that Pokemon shouldn't go to the Switch just because it's more expensive than a second generation version of a side version of the 3DS is ridiculous. Even if (hypothetically) we were going into a new gen or something people would still complain about having to jump systems. The cold truth is that if people want to play a game then they need to have the system it's for. It's not "unfair" for GF to make the jump to a new system and it certainly isn't dumb. People need to get over the idea that a game should just come out for the system THEY have or would rather spend money on just because they don't want to buy the other product......Sorry I don't mean to rant or get on you particularly, but it's kind of a pet peeve of mine when people think a game should come out for a system just because they don't want to put the time and money into a newer system. IMO people shouldn't hold games or developers back just because they don't have the money. It might sound harsh of me, but that's just how the gaming industry works.....lol

fair enough the issue is game freak doesn't migrate to the new system or at least release the first game on the platform until 2 to 3 years (Only except was gba but that was because the platform was very similar programming wise to to the GBC or GB and snes) have passed since release meaning 2019 to 2020 for a switch game IF they decide to make one and it because of that i think if they do anymore gen 7 titles they will remain on the 3ds family

Last edited:
yes but that doesn't change the problem that most consumers who buy handheld consoles won't fork out 200 USD for one no matter how great the games are (simple sales stats prove this) and because of that the new 3ds xl just like the two prior xl models are considered by nintendo to be not only the premium version of handheld console but largely a more niche market

fair enough the issue is game freak doesn't migrate to the new system or at least release the first game on the platform until 2 to 3 years (Only except was gba but that was because the platform was very similar programming wise to to the GBC or GB and snes) have passed since release meaning 2019 to 2020 for a switch game IF they decide to make one and it because of that i think if they do anymore gen 7 titles they will remain on the 3ds family
It would make since in Gen VII stayed on 3ds, because they started Sun/Moon on 3DS, it wouldn't make since to start a new engine in the mid-generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom