• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
ORAS disregarded Scott. I can see ?D?P doing the same with Charon.

Yeah, but Scott is only relevant if the Battle Frontier is involved, which it wasn't and didn't strictly need to be. Charon, however, is solely affiliated with Team Galactic, who will presumably be involved in any DP remakes.

What I'm saying is that they might ignore Charon completely in the remakes as he is a Platinum only character and the fact that he did barely anything in the game aside from the small post-game plot he got.

I guess it's a possibility, but of course, I would think him having such a small role would mean that there's ultimately less of a reason to ignore him, because they don't have to put any significant work into retaining his material. While I personally would prefer a full-scale rewrite, they could easily get away with having him hang around exactly as he did in Platinum, and then at least the Heatran plot, as inane as it may be, will still make marginally more sense than it did in DP.

Looker is also a fan-favorite now, so it's kind of hard to picture them cutting his stuff, which ultimately comes to orbit around Charon's subplot.

It is probably useful to keep in mind, as well, that ORAS didn't actually ignore that much from Emerald. What they did (for the most part) was either repurpose or reframe things unless they were already made totally redundant by other features. Now, granted, yes - they flat-out didn't keep the Gym Leader teams or some of the Trainers on the routes, and I do think that's unfortunate. But they kept Wallace's Champion team and Rayquaza's cutscene music and gave Team Magma/Aqua a reason to invade the Space Center - just as a part of the Delta Episode rather than the main story. They kept the Johto Starter gift from Prof. Birch and added two more. Which I'd argue is all content to which Charon is at the level of. Not to mention all of the stuff that was totally new to ORAS, which are probably their least-conservative remakes thus far. It's not really as though they went hardcore regressionism and just put up a 3D version of Ruby & Sapphire. They took that basic outline and then modified numerous aspects of it in order to make it more modernized (even though I myself don't think they went far enough).

So I think it's realistic to expect something similar for DP (and that's assuming they don't take the progress even further - whereas they have been on an upward trend with each subsequent remake). They will probably use the DP story treatment as far as focusing on only one box mascot, but then the post-game is where the Platinum material is likely to end up anyway, and guess when Charon actually starts to do things? In the post-game. It's a natural fit - he's already kind of a built-in Zinnia, who had brief, inconsequential appearances seeded throughout the main campaign of ORAS, only for her to really come into effect alongside the post-game Emerald tribute. The only real question in my mind is how do they fit the Giratina stuff in.

I won't even be surprised if they introduce a completely new commander and discard Charon after seeing what ORAS did.

What exactly did ORAS do to give you that impression? ORAS didn't replace any Magma/Aqua admins, they just gave the existing ones an overhaul so that they'd look more distinctive and be actual characters rather than beefy grunts. In fact, it was actually Emerald that removed one of the admins - Courtney doesn't appear at all in Emerald.

You'll note that the only characters that were new to Emerald were Juan, Scott, and the Frontier Brains. It is true that none of them appear in ORAS, but Juan was always a half-assed redundancy (and still gets a mention), and Scott + the Brains (three of whom still get alluded to alongside Scott) don't matter if the Battle Frontier isn't going to be involved. Give Charon some credit - he's at least more relevant than that by virtue of being a member of Team Galactic as well as Looker's pseudo-nemesis. He's not singularly tied to any complex feature that could be excluded like the Battle Frontier.

They can remove Charon just completely out for the remakes. He just was so unnecessary. LeBelle on the other hand is a must but he'll appear anyway. I mean he was in pretty much every game since BW. It would be weird for him to suddenly dissappear in the remakes of his debut generation.

Distortion world please as a post-game arc just like the Delta episode. And the other Platinum changes (210 pokemon dex, other gym+E4 teams etc.).

That should be enough to eve cover Platinum stuff for the remakes.

It is probably useful to keep in mind, as well, that ORAS didn't actually ignore that much from Emerald. What they did (for the most part) was either repurpose or reframe things unless they were already made totally redundant by other features. Now, granted, yes - they flat-out didn't keep the Gym Leader teams or some of the Trainers on the routes, and I do think that's unfortunate. But they kept Wallace's Champion team and Rayquaza's cutscene music and gave Team Magma/Aqua a reason to invade the Space Center - just as a part of the Delta Episode rather than the main story. They kept the Johto Starter gift from Prof. Birch and added two more. Which I'd argue is all content to which Charon is at the level of. Not to mention all of the stuff that was totally new to ORAS, which are probably their least-conservative remakes thus far. It's not really as though they went hardcore regressionism and just put up a 3D version of Ruby & Sapphire. They took that basic outline and then modified numerous aspects of it in order to make it more modernized (even though I myself don't think they went far enough).

So I think it's realistic to expect something similar for DP (and that's assuming they don't take the progress even further - whereas they have been on an upward trend with each subsequent remake). They will probably use the DP story treatment as far as focusing on only one box mascot, but then the post-game is where the Platinum material is likely to end up anyway, and guess when Charon actually starts to do things? In the post-game. It's a natural fit - he's already kind of a built-in Zinnia, who had brief, inconsequential appearances seeded throughout the main campaign of ORAS, only for her to really come into effect alongside the post-game Emerald tribute. The only real question in my mind is how do they fit the Giratina stuff in.

Eh, not really. The Delta Episode had very little to do with Emerald, Emerald's plot enhancement focused on Groudon/Kyogre's fighting and how Rayquaza's role was to mediate the two. Neither Groudon and Kyogre made an appearance in the Delta Episode (somewhat justified, because you probably already caught one of them by then, but still), and Rayquaza was involved in a completely different kind of conflict. The Space Center plot and the Johto starters are really the only aspects from Emerald that you could really argue were repurposed, the rest was flat out cut. None of the new areas, none of the gameplay features, and most of the plot points and characters were completely ignored in ORAS.

Now in Platinum's case, it's a little different. Platinum didn't improve a lot in terms of new areas and features. You had the Distortion World, the Battle Frontier, and that was just about it. So there's really not much of that kind of content to cut in the first place. Platinum's improvements were more focused on the story and of course, the dex expansion. And those are improvements that I can't see Game Freak dropping, they love expanding the plot (even more so since then) and they've never really dropped Pokemon from regional dex, and the poor dex variety was such a major complaint with DP that I can't see them wanting to reopen that wound.

Eh, not really. The Delta Episode had very little to do with Emerald, Emerald's plot enhancement focused on Groudon/Kyogre's fighting and how Rayquaza's role was to mediate the two. Neither Groudon and Kyogre made an appearance in the Delta Episode (somewhat justified, because you probably already caught one of them by then, but still)

There was an entire cutscene in Sky pillar in which Zinnia talks about how Rayquaza came to stop the fight between Groudon and Kyogre in ancient times which happened in Emerald but in the present of course.

There was an entire cutscene in Sky pillar in which Zinnia talks about how Rayquaza came to stop the fight between Groudon and Kyogre in ancient times which happened in Emerald but in the present of course.

That's a reference, it's just a lore dump explaining their role instead of it actually taking place. Not really a repurposing of Emerald's plot, it's relegating it to a text blurb.

That's a reference, it's just a lore dump explaining their role instead of it actually taking place. Not really a repurposing of Emerald's plot, it's relegating it to a text blurb.
And how were they supposed to repurpose that part anyway without significantly changing the plot from RS. The whole purpose of the lore dump was to include as much of Emerald's story elements as possible.

The Distortion World was a cool place but it is really unlikely that we will see it in the remakes as it is a Platinum exclusive location, not even post game I fear. Giratina with likely appear on Turnback Cave like DP that's it with a reference to the Distortion World which was already there in DP. Remember ORAS didn't feature any of Emerald's exclusive locations.

The Distortion World was a cool place but it is really unlikely that we will see it in the remakes as it is a Platinum exclusive location, not even post game I fear. Giratina with likely appear on Turnback Cave like DP that's it with a reference to the Distortion World which was already there in DP. Remember ORAS didn't feature any of Emerald's exclusive locations.
Most locations in Emerald were tiny or brought in just to include more Pokemon. It seems to me that the only major new locations in Emerald were Marine/Terra Cave and Team Magma's new hideout, and that's clearly done to combine Ruby and Sapphire. The locations weren't left out of ORAS because they wanted to skip over Emerald-they were taken out because their purpose was either already fulfilled (by adding the Pokemon in other ways) or no longer needed (because the Ruby/Sapphire split meant players didn't need both Groudon/Team Magma and Kyogre/Team Aqua)

And it's not like ORAS skipped over Rayquaza-we literally went into space on that thing. Surely we could pop into the Distortion World for just a bit?

Most locations in Emerald were tiny or brought in just to include more Pokemon. It seems to me that the only major new locations in Emerald were Marine/Terra Cave and Team Magma's new hideout, and that's clearly done to combine Ruby and Sapphire. The locations weren't left out of ORAS because they wanted to skip over Emerald-they were taken out because their purpose was either already fulfilled (by adding the Pokemon in other ways) or no longer needed (because the Ruby/Sapphire split meant players didn't need both Groudon/Team Magma and Kyogre/Team Aqua)

And it's not like ORAS skipped over Rayquaza-we literally went into space on that thing. Surely we could pop into the Distortion World for just a bit?
Don't forget about the biggest location of them all, the Battle Frontier!

"I don’t think we’re focused exclusively on making all new stuff," Masuda said. "I think it’s important – the nostalgia factor is one thing – to give these memories, this content, another chance to shine for new players. And as a player myself I enjoy that kind of thing, as well."

So can we stop with the "oh these games don't need remakes" nonsense?

So can we stop with the "oh these games don't need remakes" nonsense?
At least they'll still be a chance of Diamond/Pearl Remake, although we won't them after Gen VIII. I was looking forward to Sinnoh Sequel, so GF could break the pattern of remake, If Masuda is still interested in remake, then I'm looking forward to DP Remake.

Battle frontier can be designed after the Red Square in Moscow and other spots in russia. The battle zone is based on a russian island, so they can take some liberties like they did for example with Sootopolis/Santorini. This is the perfect opportunity to see how PokeRussia would look like, as more likely an entire region based on Russia will never happen.

So New UBs were announced for USUM, making it the first time completely new species of Pokemon are introduced in a mid gen game. Could Sinnoh remakes be following suit? That would actually make things a little more interesting and help with some of the lingering variety issues even after Platinum (still only 2 Dragons in Platinum? That needs to change).

So New UBs were announced for USUM, making it the first time completely new species of Pokemon are introduced in a mid gen game. Could Sinnoh remakes be following suit? That would actually make things a little more interesting and help with some of the lingering variety issues even after Platinum (still only 2 Dragons in Platinum? That needs to change).
I feel like UBs are the exception that proves the rule. UBs are supposed to be so strange they don't even seem like Pokemon-having some appear mid-generation helps add to the bizarre effect. Meanwhile, new Pokemon appearing in Sinnoh are just new Pokemon-it raises the question of "why the heck weren't these in the other games this generation?"

I feel like UBs are the exception that proves the rule. UBs are supposed to be so strange they don't even seem like Pokemon-having some appear mid-generation helps add to the bizarre effect. Meanwhile, new Pokemon appearing in Sinnoh are just new Pokemon-it raises the question of "why the heck weren't these in the other games this generation?"

It depends on the circumstances behind the games, but the "alternate universe" card could work here with pretty much any game. In Sinnoh's case, what it could mean is that the new Pokemon introduced in DP remakes are new Sinnoh natives that weren't known about in the original DPPt's universe. In the universes of all previous games, the 107 we got in DP were the only known Sinnoh Pokemon but in actuality there would be more introduced in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom