• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You think a remake would be on 25th anniversary? I kind of doubt anything apart from Kanto would be given that honor. I would love to see Sinnoh remakes, but the way they treat anniversaries with brand new games (DP at 10, SM at 20) and 25 being a pretty big deal at a quarter of a century, I'm not so sure we could get it in 2021 (unless maybe it has all sorts of extra features/other regions?, I guess we'll find out how big a Pokemon Switch game can be next year). I'm worried we may have to wait a long time, which is a shame, because its about time Arceus gets its all-type ability with a new form and has the highest base stat total again.

The existence of LGPE makes it highly, highly unlikely.
If not a remake, the 25th anniversary is Generation 9 (which is HIGHLY unlikely). GameFreak's Out of options now.

I just hope that the Diamond and Pearl remakes feature elements from Platinum heavily. I mean ORAS was great and all, but anything related to Emerald was solely relegated to the Delta Episode. I mean, Dialga/Palkia could still be the focus of the storyline while Giratina and Arceus could be the focus in the potential postgame episode. This would also allow them to introduce some form for Arceus to use in order to be the Pokemon with the highest stats again.

Time travel would be a cool feature since dialga controls time. Let us travel through a past version of sinnoh (or maybe a future one)
What about Pearl?

Now I'm remembering how you can inexplicably find PorygonZ in the past in Guardian Signs.

I think a Gen IV remake is very likely to happen.

ORAS's story was changed a bit to involve Mega Evolution, so whatever Gen 8's main gimick is could possibly be a big part of the remakes as well.

2019: Generation VIII
2020: Let's Go Suicune and Entei (Crystal's 20th anniversary, also very close to the 25th anniversary)
2021: Generation VIII sequels with many returning characters (World Tournament?) and forms
2022: Let's Go Mesprit and Azelf
2023: Generation IX

Two bi-annual series are the most logical solution if LGPE prove more successful than traditional remakes. It would also be easier to remake DP in the LGPE style, and most of you would still buy the games.

Are mespirit and azelf even popular enough with the 'casual' fanbase to be on the boxart? I think Darkrai and Cresselia may be better alternatives (this would require changing Darkrai's status from Mythical to legendary but it already happened once with Deoxys so it’s possible).

Personally I think Let's Go is a one-off thing to introduce 'casual' fans to the main series structure. Generation 8 is most probably meant wean the 'casuals' and adapt them to the main series structure.

Are mespirit and azelf even popular enough with the 'casual' fanbase to be on the boxart? I think Darkrai and Cresselia may be better alternatives (this would require changing Darkrai's status from Mythical to legendary but it already happened once with Deoxys so it’s possible).
I did want to suggest Cresselia and Darkrai, but Mesprit and Azelf are already connected to the main story. I wouldn't say that Cresselia is more popular than they are, either. Darkrai is neither small enough to follow the player all the time, nor can it give the player a ride.

Personally I think Let's Go is a one-off thing to introduce 'casual' fans to the main series structure. Generation 8 is most probably meant wean the 'casuals' and adapt them to the main series structure.
Eurogamer said:
Related to that, looking forward, do you envisage there being two series of Pokémon games, say a Let’s Go series and a main series like Sun and Moon - are there going to be two or are they going to come together again?

Masuda: So I’d say there’s a possibility of that, should the games sell really well and obviously a lot of people play them, but right now we’re really focusing on the development, and just getting a lot of people to play the games in the first place!
It seems to be the intent to me. Obviously, it depends on the sales.

My biggest fear is the scenario in which GF decide to nerf Dawn's looks like they did with May or replace her by a random female creature out of the blue like they did with Kris.

There's no need to make the Diamond and Pearl remakes to be like the Let's Go games at all. There's also no need to skip generations when making the Let's Go games since it would be way too random. It's just more likely that the Let's Go series will focus on games that already have been remade exclusively.

Due to the tone of the Let’s go series, I doubt they’re going to extend beyond Johto...
Nostalgia is a factor in the creation of these games, too. So a Let's Go- Cyndaquil and Totodile seem plausible, but nothing after that seems likely to me-

Hoenn- we had Hoenn Remakes recently do it'd be redundant, specially when Hoenn isn’t a 'priority' like Kanto or Johto.

Sinnoh- It'll just receive traditional Remakes like every other region so far. And Sinnoh isn’t the type of region to be casualised- children got lost in these games and hence we ended up with the excessively linear pattern of Generations 5 and beyond.

Unova and Kalos are far to recent to even consider revisits now.

Due to the tone of the Let’s go series, I doubt they’re going to extend beyond Johto...
Nostalgia is a factor in the creation of these games, too. So a Let's Go- Cyndaquil and Totodile seem plausible, but nothing after that seems likely to me-

Hoenn- we had Hoenn Remakes recently do it'd be redundant, specially when Hoenn isn’t a 'priority' like Kanto or Johto.

Sinnoh- It'll just receive traditional Remakes like every other region so far. And Sinnoh isn’t the type of region to be casualised- children got lost in these games and hence we ended up with the excessively linear pattern of Generations 5 and beyond.

Unova and Kalos are far to recent to even consider revisits now.
I agree, and they might even want to save Johto for the next console iteration than make a remake of it for the Switch.

Last edited:
2019: Generation VIII
2020: Let's Go Suicune and Entei (Crystal's 20th anniversary, also very close to the 25th anniversary)
2021: Generation VIII sequels with many returning characters (World Tournament?) and forms
2023: Generation IX

Two bi-annual series are the most logical solution if LGPE prove more successful than traditional remakes. It would also be easier to remake DP in the LGPE style, and most of you would still buy the games.
Expecting legendaries to be starters? Those are some cheese dreams.

I never said anything about starters, dear.

PkmnTrainerV said:
That's exactly why it is going to be casualized. The target demographic will always be children.

Anyways, here are my predictions on what would happen:

2019: Gen 8

2020: Traditional Gen 4 remakes

2021: Break year

2022: Gen 9

2023: Traditional Gen 5 remakes

2024: Let's Go remake of Johto games (on the next generation system)

I'll stick to my old prediction of Generation 8 in 2019, break in 2020 and traditional DPPt Remakes in 2021. GameFreak is doing too many experiments to predict reliably beyond that but I'll try:

2022: Break
2023: Generation 9
2024: Let's Go Johto or Unova Remakes depending on GameFreak's new plans.

They are not waiting 6 years to continue a popular sub-series. Try to make your predictions a little less self-serving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom