• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are not waiting 6 years to continue a popular sub-series. Try to make your predictions a little less self-serving.

I just don’t see a let's go game being inserted in any other place in the release schedule. My opinion that Let's Go is a one off project also influences my predictions on the topic.

To fulfil its purpose Let's Go doesn’t need more than one instalment imo.

I feel like the Let's Go series is supposed to be a last resort kind-of thing to attract more casuals to Pokemon on a new system without taking away from the main series games. Also, Sinnoh won't be casualised because it's impossible to casualise a region in which it's focused on lore and exploration.

Also, Sinnoh won't be casualised because it's impossible to casualise a region in which it's focused on lore and exploration.

I really wouldn’t say it’s “impossible.” What else would you call a version of Sinnoh with no wild battles (if indeed it falls into a hypothetical Let’s Go series), NPC-offered teleports to the next relevant location, and caves that have been scrubbed of their numerous HM requirements? I’d call that being casualized (not that I think the teleports or the HM reductions would necessarily be a bad thing, if they simply took the approach that they did with ORAS).

As for the lore, that can always just be spoonfed.

I really wouldn’t say it’s “impossible.” What else would you call a version of Sinnoh with no wild battles (if indeed it falls into a hypothetical Let’s Go series), NPC-offered teleports to the next relevant location, and caves that have been scrubbed of their numerous HM requirements? I’d call that being casualized (not that I think the teleports or the HM reductions would necessarily be a bad thing, if they simply took the approach that they did with ORAS).

As for the lore, that can always just be spoonfed.
If they want to get rid of HM requirements, it's easier for them bring Poke Ride back and that would save them more time instead of creating a whole new game that would do the same thing anyways.

If they want to get rid of HM requirements, it's easier for them bring Poke Ride back and that would save them more time instead of creating a whole new game that would do the same thing anyways.

Even with Poké Ride, I doubt they would keep the game stuffed with eight different kinds of obstacles, many of which appear at the same time. Sinnoh is almost certainly getting a trim.

Taking the ORAS approach instead of making it part of the Let's Go series is what's most likely to happen at this point.

How was Hoenn 'overcasualised' with ORAS? It’s a legitimate question since I saw them as traditional RS Remakes.
And before you mention battle frontier it was an Emerald feature...
Well, they made the game heavily linear unlike the originals. The Gen VI+ EXP Share also helps in that department.

They really didn’t.
They did. In the originals, you can fight the gym leaders out of order. Now, you can't. You can't deliver Steven's letter until after you've beaten Brawly. And, you can't travel far west from Fortree until you've defeated Winona. There are other examples that I may list later.

They did. In the originals, you can fight the gym leaders out of order.
Not really. You could Skip Brawly and Winona and come back later, but it was still linear.

Now, you can't. You can't deliver Steven's letter until after you've beaten Brawly. And, you can't travel far west from Fortree until you've defeated Winona. There are other examples that I may list later.
Sure, but that’s not “heavily linear” like you said earlier.

Yeah, I am a lot less forgiving toward ORAS now compared to one year ago. But overcasualization and heavy linearity were definitely not the issues: the game was still very fun to explore, especially thanks to improved Secret Bases and Diving. And Mirage Spots.

The only issue of ORAS is the surprisingly big amount of Emerald (and even RS) features that were removed for no reason. Stuff like the BF, Gym Leader rematches, Trainer Hill, Game Corner, Safari Zone game, etc were mercilessly butchered.

If Sinnoh fans need to worry about something imo, it is the above issue. Not linearity.

Last edited:
Well, they made the game heavily linear unlike the originals. The Gen VI+ EXP Share also helps in that department.

It should be noted, however, that linearizing and casualizing aren’t necessarily the same thing. You could have a linear game that’s still complex enough to where it doesn’t play well with casuals.

The only issue of ORAS is the big amount of Emerald (and even RS) features that were removed for no reason. Stuff like the BF, Gym Leader rematches, Trainer Hill, Game Corner, Safari Zone game, etc were mercilessly butchered.

“Mercilessly butchered” is putting it quite dramatically for some of those. They pretty much don’t have a choice but to cut the Game Corner if they want to retain their E rating, and the only difference with the Safari Zone is that they took the restrictions off. (On the one hand, yeah it makes it just the same as any other route with wild Pokémon, but on the other, I think it’s nice to no longer be at the mercy of the Pokémon choosing to run away - to split the difference, I think they probably could have retained the step limit, or maybe just done something with PokéBlocks. Their approach was flawed, but not abhorrent.)

And then I’d argue that Trainer Hill was more-or-less reworked into the Mauville Food Court. It’s not the same exact challenge, but it’s still taking very similar cues, and it’s like right next door to where the Hill used to be. (Not that Trainer [Tower] was really Emerald’s feature to begin with.)

For a Pokemon Diamond and Pearl remake, I would like if they kept some version of Poke Ride. It feels like Sinnoh was specifically designed for Poke Ride. Now how they can prevent you from going to later areas is actually a simple implementation, have the said feature be locked behind Gym Badges. Like the Cut replacement could be locked behind the second gym badge, for example.

It should be noted, however, that linearizing and casualizing aren’t necessarily the same thing. You could have a linear game that’s still complex enough to where it doesn’t play well with casuals.

“Mercilessly butchered” is putting it quite dramatically for some of those. They pretty much don’t have a choice but to cut the Game Corner if they want to retain their E rating, and the only difference with the Safari Zone is that they took the restrictions off. (On the one hand, yeah it makes it just the same as any other route with wild Pokémon, but on the other, I think it’s nice to no longer be at the mercy of the Pokémon choosing to run away - to split the difference, I think they probably could have retained the step limit, or maybe just done something with PokéBlocks. Their approach was flawed, but not abhorrent.)

And then I’d argue that Trainer Hill was more-or-less reworked into the Mauville Food Court. It’s not the same exact challenge, but it’s still taking very similar cues, and it’s like right next door to where the Hill used to be. (Not that Trainer [Tower] was really Emerald’s feature to begin with.)
America doesn't have much of a problem with gambling in video game. It was Europe who put tight restrictions on video game gambling. The VC releases of the games got a PEGI rating of 12.

America doesn't have much of a problem with gambling in video game. It was Europe who put tight restrictions on video game gambling. The VC releases of the games got a PEGI rating of 12.

But then they’d have to make a separate game for Europe with less features. It'd be too much effort and Game Corner was not a feature worth the hassle in their opinion.

I personally don’t see any reason to blame GameFreak here.

I didn’t specify America. I’m well aware it was Europe that did it, but that decision ends up affecting every territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom