• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
But would the target audience care?
Yes, because this is a remake. New fans won't care, but the original Gen IV fans will.

Pretty much what happened with ORAS. The majority (new fans) didn't care but the hardcore Gen III fans did care.

Last edited:
I hate this "Game Freak are going to simplify it because the kids won't care" mentality. It's a pessimistic branch of the infamous "it's just for kids" mindset.
also, didn't they lowkey confirm the new main series + remake (if it happens) games will be less casual since lgpe already fits that role? I mean i understand not thinking pokemon will suddenly be dark souls, but the pessimism is just annoying at this point

I mean, I don't blame those who are pessimistic. The general vibe of both Gen 6 and 7 made it seem like Game Freak was going the road of "dumbing down" the games to appeal more to the children audience. Whether or not that's really the case is something we'll see, but it's not like the pessimism is unfounded, by any means.

This is only anecdotal experience of course, but from my own experiences (meaning those who I've spoken to), I feel like some are more worried that Game Freak will slap on Pokemon Go elements for the sake of simplicity and being more family friendly when Pokemon was never really (at least, it's not supposed to be) a difficult game to begin with.

Anyway, more on the topic, I don't have any personal worries that Game Freak will dumb down the Gen IV remakes. I'm more worried about whether or not they will omit most of Platinum like they've omitted most of Emerald in ORAS, which made those games fairly lackluster to me.

I just hope that if they have trainer customization, they would at least allow us to switch to our DP attires or Platinum attires from whatever outfit that the redesigned protagonists are going to have. ORAS didn't let them switch into their classic ones which was a little bit disappointing.

Why wouldn't it follow the ORAS precedent? While some people complained about the missing Emerald features, it was easy enough for Game Freak to miss the message due to a small distraction of 14 million copies.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't it follow the ORAS precedent? While some people complained about the missing Emerald features, it was easy enough for Game Freak to miss the message due to a small distraction of 14 million copies.
Because much of the new additions in Platinum, unlike in Emerald, were major improvements, especially the expanded Regional Dex.

I still think it’s ridiculous to question whether or not the remakes exist.

People are also not considering that Hoenn Remakes were 'due' in Generation 5, but we didn’t get them, resulting in increasing hype levels for them.
The fanbase also seems too occupied with LGPE and the franchise's future to make more and more "SINNOH CONFIRMED" memes.

We're getting Sinnoh Remakes. And if we aren’t- the lack of demand isn’t going to be a reason.

I mean, I don't blame those who are pessimistic. The general vibe of both Gen 6 and 7 made it seem like Game Freak was going the road of "dumbing down" the games to appeal more to the children audience. Whether or not that's really the case is something we'll see, but it's not like the pessimism is unfounded, by any means.

This. Hard to really be an optimist for Game Freak's approach to future games when they have a recent history of doing similar things and haven't shown any signs of stopping aside from PR statements. Game Freak has a lot to prove when it comes to handling content at this point.

I still think it’s ridiculous to question whether or not the remakes exist.

People are also not considering that Hoenn Remakes were 'due' in Generation 5, but we didn’t get them, resulting in increasing hype levels for them.
The fanbase also seems too occupied with LGPE and the franchise's future to make more and more "SINNOH CONFIRMED" memes.

We're getting Sinnoh Remakes. And if we aren’t- the lack of demand isn’t going to be a reason.
Completely agree, in fact. It wouldn't surprise me if pianos became the new instrument Pokememe given Sinnoh's soundtrack.

also, didn't they lowkey confirm the new main series + remake (if it happens) games will be less casual since lgpe already fits that role? I mean i understand not thinking pokemon will suddenly be dark souls, but the pessimism is just annoying at this point

I suspect their definition of “less casual” in this context would just refer to a game that doesn’t simplify the mechanics quite as much as LGPE, and is far more story-driven. I think we’ll definitely still be seeing a game that’s very much in the mold of SM.

Last edited:
People are also worried that the success of LGPE will be inteepinter by GF as meaning that they should keep or make the games more "casualizca" (I hate that term, but GF is using it implicitly).

Okay, but then DP had Infernape and Rapidash and maybe the next generation will have variants for Pokemon in the DP Pokedex.
I'm thinking that we'll be done with variants after Gen 7. Also, Platinum added the Houndour and Magmar lines as well as Flareon. They don't need to create regional variants in order to fix this. They can just use Platinum's regional dex. But, they might not want to fix this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom