• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea if they want to fix it. The ORAS expansion wasn't very big and LGPE are more recent.
Yeah. I don't think that GF wants to fix DP's type variety problem, as they don't like changing too much in remakes, and ORAS shows that they don't like adding third version content to remakes.

Gotta be honest, I'm a little... no, a lot upset that another Kanto journey is coming before these remakes. I daresay that I'm even feeling a little betrayed.

Ok, maybe that's going too far but you get the drift.

Yes Game Freak, I know that I'm in the Gen I age group but my personal journey with this great franchise means that the first generation is not my first real journey, not my nostalgia, not my guilty pleasure, and I don't want it pushed upon me just because I'm 24. These honours belong to Gen IV as it was the first time I truly found my place and home in Pokémon. My first game may have indeed been Blue Version but I didn't ever reach Pewter City before slipping out. It was Diamond Version that brought me back to the main series.

I mean absolutely no offence to anyone who wanted an announcement like LGPE. You got your wishes and I'm happy for you, happy that you're avidly planning your teams, awaiting more news, or generally looking forward to another Pokémon adventure. All I'm trying to say here is this: Is it so bad that I want my real roots to be revisited for a change, rather than the ones I severed years ago? I've been awaiting Gen IV remakes since the day ORAS was announced and who can blame me? I want my time here to finally come full circle. Surely the Gen III crowd felt the same? And the Gen II crowd? We all have our own tales.

Maybe I've typed too much but I wanted to get all of this off my chest.

Gotta be honest, I'm a little... no, a lot upset that another Kanto journey is coming before these remakes. I daresay that I'm even feeling a little betrayed.

Yes Game Freak, I know that I'm in the Gen I age group but my personal journey with this great franchise means that the first generation is not my first real journey, not my nostalgia, not my guilty pleasure, and I don't want it pushed upon me just because I'm 24. These honours belong to Gen IV as it was the first time I truly found my place and home in Pokémon. My first game may have indeed been Blue Version but I didn't ever reach Pewter City before slipping out. It was Diamond Version that brought me back to the main series.

I mean absolutely no offence to anyone who wanted an announcement like LGPE. You got your wishes and I'm happy for you, happy that you're avidly planning your teams, awaiting more news, or generally looking forward to another Pokémon adventure. All I'm trying to say here is this: Is it so bad that I want my real roots to be revisited for a change, rather than the ones I severed years ago? I've been awaiting Gen IV remakes since the day ORAS was announced and who can blame me? I want my time here to finally come full circle. Surely the Gen III crowd felt the same? And the Gen II crowd? We all have our own tales.

As another person who discovered and learned to love Pokemon through Sinnoh and it’s critters, thank you for making this post.

You basically summed up how I feel about the whole Kanto getting too much attention situation. Thank you.

Strictly speaking, there was never much of a chance of DP remakes being released before 2020. LGPE are taking the place of a gap year, so I'd wait until 2020 before complaining that Sinnoh is getting the shaft.

You should be worried about whether or not the remakes get the Let's Go treatment. I think it's likely that Game Freak will keep the grid-based map and incorporate the Rotom Pokedex to help kids, so that's already two steps in that direction.

I think it's likely that Game Freak will keep the grid-based map and incorporate the Rotom Pokedex to help kids, so that's already two steps in that direction.

The first possibility is quite unlikely imo. The grid style has been used to enhance the Kanto nostalgia. I doubt it’s important to preserve that nostalgia for Sinnoh fans (they took liberties on the Hoenn story without caring for the Hoenn fans' nostalgia).

Also the grid style is less glaring when we’ve come from games like XY and SM. The Generation 8 style is confirmed to be a graphics enhance and the downgrade is going to be more glaring and will reflect negatively on the Remakes.

Besides, no Pokémon in the Sinnoh roster is as widely recognised as the Kanto critters.
The existence of Kanto in LGPE relies on a bunch of coincidences (Kanto being the first region, the height of Pokémania, having universal appeal and the most recognised roster of Pokemon and Kanto Pokemon being heavily featured in GO*).
Sinnoh has none of these factors.

*I know we have Johto and Hoenn Pokemon now, but Kanto is still very predominant

I understand what you mean, and how you feel, but my advice for you is: just play Platinum. It will most likely remain the best Sinnoh game even after the Gen IV remake finally comes out, seeing the developers' current casual mindset.

I know you probably really want to see Sinnoh remade in glorious 3D and HD quality, but you know they will make that game sooner or later anyway, so why the hurry? Just be patient, and remember the best Sinnoh game has probably already been released.

To summarize; don't expect great things from neo- Game Freak, and be thankful that old school Game Freak did some top class Pokémon games that are accessible to us already.

That is my advice as a Gen III fan that was impatiently awaiting Gen III remakes. ORAS was indeed a solid game, and the new graphics were very pretty, but game wise, I realized Emerald is still the best Hoenn experience (even if by a small margin). I am sure it will be the same with Gen IV.

Of course that's just my opinion :)

Last edited:
The first possibility is quite unlikely imo. The grid style has been used to enhance the Kanto nostalgia. I doubt it’s important to preserve that nostalgia for Sinnoh fans (they took liberties on the Hoenn story without caring for the Hoenn fans' nostalgia).

Also the grid style is less glaring when we’ve come from games like XY and SM. The Generation 8 style is confirmed to be a graphics enhance and the downgrade is going to be more glaring and will reflect negatively on the Remakes.
It's been used to make Game Freak's lives easier. Overhauling a map is much harder than expanding a story. By the way, LGPE are already doing away with two prominent characters (Red and Blue, at least in their old roles) and discarded wild Pokemon battles, which is easily more intrusive to nostalgia than the ORAS changes.

SM lack a grid style, so I don't get your point. And I highly doubt that anyone is going to skip any game just because of the grid style.

Besides, no Pokémon in the Sinnoh roster is as widely recognised as the Kanto critters.
The existence of Kanto in LGPE relies on a bunch of coincidences (Kanto being the first region, the height of Pokémania, having universal appeal and the most recognised roster of Pokemon and Kanto Pokemon being heavily featured in GO*).
Sinnoh has none of these factors.
The only question is how much more successful LGPE will be than ORAS. Even if DP remakes are bound to do worse, the temptation to use LGPE as a base will be there.

Last edited:
LGPE are already doing away with two prominent characters (Red and Blue, at least in their old roles) and discarded wild Pokemon battles, which is easily more intrusive to nostalgia than the ORAS changes.

I don’t think we should count Red there. Red was the PC in the Kanto games and had no lines. Red was whatever you wanted him to be in those games.
Just naming Chase (?) "Red" is enough to emulate the experience.

I do agree about Blue though.

I'm wondering what changes they will make to Super Contests as I'm sure it's going to get included.

Strictly speaking, there was never much of a chance of DP remakes being released before 2020. LGPE are taking the place of a gap year, so I'd wait until 2020 before complaining that Sinnoh is getting the shaft.

You should be worried about whether or not the remakes get the Let's Go treatment. I think it's likely that Game Freak will keep the grid-based map and incorporate the Rotom Pokedex to help kids, so that's already two steps in that direction.

Imo, because of LGPE i think 2020 for a remake is extremely unlikely, since 2020 will likely be the gap year now.

I'm wondering what changes they will make to Super Contests as I'm sure it's going to get included.

I don’t think they’ll change them much. ORAS kept them mostly the same so I think They’ll do the same here.

I’m more curious about the puffin making. They’ll probably make that annoyingly work off motion control.

they'll remove puffin making just like they did with pokeblocks because making them is plain out boring. Probabily will be like oras' pokeblock making where you put the ingredients and a puffin comes out

So essentially, raising Contest stats won't be a thing anymore, quite a shame considering the only way Feebas could evolve without trading was to have its Beauty stat either maxed out or at least very high.

I hope the Super Contests get a major overhaul. Cause honestly, the dancing part and the dressing up part were kind of annoying? I wouldn't mind if they removed that (though I guess the dancing part could be made a lot more interesting with motion control)

I hope they at least let us keep Ball Capsules, it would definitely bring more variety on making a Pokemon unique. In fact, I want them to add more Seals for it, like a Snow Seal or a Dirt Seal to show off a Pokemon's typing dramatically.

It's been used to make Game Freak's lives easier. Overhauling a map is much harder than expanding a story. By the way, LGPE are already doing away with two prominent characters (Red and Blue, at least in their old roles) and discarded wild Pokemon battles, which is easily more intrusive to nostalgia than the ORAS changes.

SM lack a grid style, so I don't get your point. And I highly doubt that anyone is going to skip any game just because of the grid style.

The only question is how much more successful LGPE will be than ORAS. Even if DP remakes are bound to do worse, the temptation to use LGPE as a base will be there.
Considering that Gen 8 is said to be a graphical upgrade, going back to the grid style would be a downgrade.

And again, SM already moved on from a grid. With LGPE as a precedent, any games in that sub-series would be compared to LGPE first and foremost. I think it's unrealistic to expect LGPE to be the only grid-based Switch games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom