• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For something that I want to see happen is diamond dust falling in the overworld when an important day comes around, it was a neat little touch to have that in the Sinnoh games.

I think it's fun to go to store to receive one of those neat code cards or visit a Pokémon-related event with a local distribution. Instead of simply downloading the Pokémon directly from the internet, it gives a sense of accomplishment.

I bet your opinion will quickly change if you live in a country without such distributions like me since for me to get a 'sense of accomplishment' I'd have to take a flight to the USA or similar countries.

It isn't fun to have to go to stores just to get a Pokemon, I think the best way is a QR code, but if not, then just online distributions without needing an account for something, mythical Pokemon should be accessible to everybody. Plus, it would solve a lot of the problem of people asking for mythical Pokemon on the GTS.

I'd love to see seasons make a comeback in the supposed Gen 4 remakes. I know that was a Gen 5 gimmick, but I wanna see falling snow in various Sinnoh cities, not just at Route 216 and that surrounding area.
Seasons? Well if they bring those back, they should make it more accurate to the calender instead of having it change every month and have 3 cycles a year. Actually, no, I don't want them back because you'd have to wait for a specific month to catch a Pokémon. And you know what? The Winter kind of stuff can stay at the Snowpoint area. Having snow everywhere for a third of the year can make Snowpoint's surrounding area feel pointless. Ice-types and Pokémon that should be found in Winter should be found in that area. Would you want it to snow on Stark Mountain where the Fire types are? How about walking through deep snow in Twinleaf Town when you start the game in December because you just got the game for Christmas? That'll be a terrible first impression. It's better for the seasons gimmick to stick to Unova. If you're worried about Deerling and Sawsbuck's forms, well it could depend on the location caught, like Route 217 could have a Winter Deerling. Spring form could be somewhere like Route 204 which is next to Floroma Town. Summer form could be at Route 229. Autumn could be at, I don't know, Route 211? Well, if you can still transfer Pokémon from Alola, then you can get your Deerling from Unova to Kalos, to Alola and then to Sinnoh.

Actually, no, I don't want them back because you'd have to wait for a specific month to catch a Pokémon.
That only affected one Pokemon line. And someone could easily just change the system clock if they wanted it that bad. It's only a 24 hour penalty.
The Winter kind of stuff can stay at the Snowpoint area. Having snow everywhere for a third of the year can make Snowpoint's surrounding area feel pointless.
Why? Snowpoint is still completely unique 75% of the time (seasons take up a fourth of the year, not a third), and for wintertime, there could easily be something added to it to make it stand out.
Ice-types and Pokémon that should be found in Winter should be found in that area. Would you want it to snow on Stark Mountain where the Fire types are?
There are locations in Unova where the season changes aren't as drastic. It's just like real life-just because it's winter doesn't mean snow appears everywhere.
How about walking through deep snow in Twinleaf Town when you start the game in December because you just got the game for Christmas? That'll be a terrible first impression.
Deep snow hasn't been a thing for a few games now. And why do you assume that they'll include deep snow over the snow that could be walked on, like in Snowpoint? They certainly didn't do that in the Unova starting towns.

That only affected one Pokemon line. And someone could easily just change the system clock if they wanted it that bad. It's only a 24 hour penalty.
No, there were areas where Pokémon like Tranquill and Watchog disappear in Winter to be replaced with Ice Pokémon like Cubchoo. Oh and changing the clock? I am not changing the clock to cheat. And besides, the remakes could use the atomic clock or something when you try that.
Why? Snowpoint is still completely unique 75% of the time (seasons take up a fourth of the year, not a third), and for wintertime, there could easily be something added to it to make it stand out.
Okay, that "third of the year thing" was a miscalculation on my part. I was thinking more of the three months a year thing without dividing twelve. And what could be added to make Snowpoint stand out? Extra deep snow? Something that could have still be placed in Snowpoint even without the season tracking?

There are locations in Unova where the season changes aren't as drastic. It's just like real life-just because it's winter doesn't mean snow appears everywhere.
Yeah, that's true. But that also shows another reason seasons aren't needed.

Deep snow hasn't been a thing for a few games now. And why do you assume that they'll include deep snow over the snow that could be walked on, like in Snowpoint? They certainly didn't do that in the Unova starting towns.
Well, they could have an idiot in charge of the seasonal changes for each town. But you're right, I was getting paranoid about the deep snow in the starting town. Would they do that? Not if Nintendo thinks of first impressions. And even if it's just shallow snow with footprints, some veteran players starting in Christmas could get confused about why Snowpoint's gimmick is happening in the southern part of Sinnoh. Then again, Twinleaf could have no snow like in our third point.

veteran players starting in Christmas could get confused about why Snowpoint's gimmick is happening in the southern part of Sinnoh. Then again, Twinleaf could have no snow like in our third point.

Last time I checked these 'veterans' were criticising Geb 6 onwards for being too easy. They wanted to be surprised and caught off guard.

Last time I checked these 'veterans' were criticising Geb 6 onwards for being too easy. They wanted to be surprised and caught off guard.
Well, most criticisms are about change. The thing about Gen VI being too easy was the way they changed how the Exp. Share works. People hated how Ruby and Sapphire had a lot of old Pokémon missing, and people hated Gen V for being stuck with completely new Pokémon. And Gen V is probably the most hated Gen, so implementing a time-based gimmick from that in the Gen IV remakes can be mocked. Even if Platinum had snow patches in Twinleaf Town, people could still get mad about the seasons. Oh and the Honey Tree Pokémon can get even more annoying if the seasonal encounters also affects the trees and you could only get Combee in Spring. Bad enough that you'd have to buy Honey to slather on a tree and wait six hours in real time for an encounter that may end up being not the Pokémon you wanted, but to add a time limit to the month? Oh that is not a problem because there's already a 24-hour time limit. But Pokémon that are only available on certain months are annoying. Especially when the in-game season doesn't match the real world season. If a game were to reuse the season gimmick, it should be the Unova remakes.

No, there were areas where Pokémon like Tranquill and Watchog disappear in Winter to be replaced with Ice Pokémon like Cubchoo.
Only Route 7 and Dragonspiral Tower, not the whole region. You could just go somewhere else and catch those same Pokemon.
Oh and changing the clock? I am not changing the clock to cheat.
Alright, that's your choice. Doesn't mean it's not an option all the same.
And besides, the remakes could use the atomic clock or something when you try that.
Why would they? Devices have all switched to clocks that can be set because sometimes people cross timezones.
And what could be added to make Snowpoint stand out? Extra deep snow? Something that could have still be placed in Snowpoint even without the season tracking?
Yes, whatever addition to Snowpoint could be made with or without the seasons, but my point in suggesting it was that Snowpoint can be made to feel unique even if other locations get snow.
Yeah, that's true. But that also shows another reason seasons aren't needed.
Nobody's saying that they're necessary, just that they could be a nice addition.
And even if it's just shallow snow with footprints, some veteran players starting in Christmas could get confused about why Snowpoint's gimmick is happening in the southern part of Sinnoh. Then again, Twinleaf could have no snow like in our third point.
I think any veterans players are probably smart enough to recognize seasons if the game says "Winter" like it did in Gen 5, but like you said, there's no reason it has to start off that way.

The way Mythical Pokémon were handled in Gens 3 to 5 was perfect in my opinion. Part of what makes Mythical Pokémon special is that you usually have to go though some trouble to obtain and that they're only available for just a limited time. I think it's fun to go to store to receive one of those neat code cards or visit a Pokémon-related event with a local distribution. Instead of simply downloading the Pokémon directly from the internet, it gives a sense of accomplishment. If you combine that with a short quest in game, it makes for a memorable experience. That's why I hope that rather than changing the method of distribution of the Mythical Pokémon, interesting in-game missions will be added again.
Honestly, I'm glad those are rarely a thing anymore. I just feel awkward cause in all likelihood I won't be buying anything at whatever store the promotion is. Not to mention that in older generations it meant there was a one day event in a single location, which was a two hour drive/train journey away from where I lived. For a lot of people that's not exactly accessible.

What I do miss though are the events in-game. Let me travel to a place like Faraway Island or Liberty Garden or Newmoon Island to catch a Mythical. It's a nice little piece of additional content that doesn't just give access to a rare Pokemon, but also allows for a little more exploration and lore.

Only Route 7 and Dragonspiral Tower, not the whole region. You could just go somewhere else and catch those same Pokemon.
And Route 6, Route 8 and Route 20, Iccirus City, Twist Mountain, Moor of Iccirus, Undella Bay and Castelia Sewers. Those locations have Pokémon changing between seasons. Shelmet in Black and White 1 could only be found in puddles, which freeze in Winter.

So, what are the odds of Dialga and Palkia getting new forms? I actually want them to do something different this time, instead of yet another copy of Mega Evolution, what if their forms would instead revert Pokemon that Mega Evolved back to their normal forms? This would solve the power creep problem recently going on with temporary forms.

And Route 6, Route 8 and Route 20, Iccirus City, Twist Mountain, Moor of Iccirus, Undella Bay and Castelia Sewers. Those locations have Pokémon changing between seasons.
  • Route 6-Cycles between Tranquil and Vannilite, both of which can be found year-round in other locations.
  • Route 8/Iccirus City/Moor of Iccirus-Palpitoad's prevo can be found elsewhere, Stunfisk can still be found via fishing and surfing, Shelmet has more locations in BW2
  • Twist Mountain-Only the rates change. The Pokemon can all be found year-round.
The only Pokemon truly season-locked for all of Gen 5 are the Spheal line and the Grimer line. That's 5 Pokemon out of 155 in the regional dex-that's not even 1%. (They're not new Pokemon, either)

And if somebody absolutely had to have them-what's stopping them from trading to get them? Players are going to have to trade to get a full PokeDex anyways, between trade evos and version exclusives.
Shelmet in Black and White 1 could only be found in puddles, which freeze in Winter.
And they fixed that in BW2-clearly making a Pokemon totally season-locked isn't their goal.

I actually want them to do something different this time, instead of yet another copy of Mega Evolution, what if their forms would instead revert Pokemon that Mega Evolved back to their normal forms? This would solve the power creep problem recently going on with temporary forms.
You don't solve power creep by making overpowered Pokemon even more so. Besides, they're banned from standard play.

And maybe some new areas to explore to accommodate the National Dex doubling in size since the last time we were in Sinnoh. If we would have to go Stark Mountain to see Heatran before getting the National Dex, then we really do need more post-game areas.

I pray to Arceus that they make the region faster to get through. The fact that some routes (The snow ones in particular) were so slow to get through made it that I, often more than once, lost my interest in playing through DPPt.

I do hope they add an additional form to Arceus lore-reason wise, especially now that his failed copy, Silvally, is also in the mix. They probably manage to break it harder than Primal Groudon and Mega Rayquaza, so gameplay-wise, it might not be the best thing to do.

Also, since ORAS allowed Kyogre and Groudon to change formes with their respective orbs, I wouldn't put it past GameFreak if they also give Palkia and Dialga new formes by you having that red chain or the Lustrous and Adamant Orb. The form they take while in their own dimension perhaps?

I pray to Arceus that they make the region faster to get through. The fact that some routes (The snow ones in particular) were so slow to get through made it that I, often more than once, lost my interest in playing through DPPt.
The snow and the marshlands are areas I always both love and dread. On my last playthrough of Platinum, the snow routes went a lot faster than I remembered, despite the slow pace. But it would be nice if you got a pair of snowboots or something after you arrive in Snowpoint for the first time, cause braving the weather conditions more than once is not really fun. The first time feels like an adventure, the times after not so much. Additionally, they might make it so that the weather occasionally clears up, making the route easier to traverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom