• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's Go Johto will inevitably feature Kanto so it should be in atleast Gen 9 so that even their target audience doesn’t get fed up.

The target audience of LGPE were people with fond memories of the original games who have maybe drifted from the series over time (and thus probably haven't been in the loop of what's been going on enough to get "fed up," assuming they even could be more put off by things from Gen 1 than by stuff like Klink or Aromatisse or island trials or soccer games(?)) and young kids (whose first experience with Kanto probably was LGPE and thus lack the longstanding relationship with it that they'd need to become "fed up").

I do not even acknowledge that the cash grab games released late last year even exist. Those games are dead to me. So bring on the Gen 4 remakes, GF will either have to have a huge pokedex, make a ton of Pokemon available post-game somehow, create sequels that incorporate more Pokemon, or do the Sinnoh remakes.

The target audience of LGPE were people with fond memories of the original games who have maybe drifted from the series over time (and thus probably haven't been in the loop of what's been going on enough to get "fed up," assuming they even could be more put off by things from Gen 1 than by stuff like Klink or Aromatisse or island trials or soccer games(?)) and young kids (whose first experience with Kanto probably was LGPE and thus lack the longstanding relationship with it that they'd need to become "fed up").

I mean... Let's Go Johto won’t have a lot to differentiate itself from Kanto in a period of around 2-3 years. We'll also end up visiting Kanto again, and as much as Kanto is in currently, having games with Kanto so soon together isn’t a great decision imo.

I mean... Let's Go Johto won’t have a lot to differentiate itself from Kanto in a period of around 2-3 years.

All depends on what kind of features they put in. The tracts of digital landscape aren't what really matter, especially not when the Kanto portion is just bonus post-game content. The main adventure through Johto - that is, the thing that most players will fully engage with - is still quite different, and the gameplay can be differentiated by adding more enticing features and newer mechanics.

All depends on what kind of features they put in. The tracts of digital landscape aren't what really matter, especially not when the Kanto portion is just bonus post-game content. The main adventure through Johto - that is, the thing that most players will fully engage with - is still quite different, and the gameplay can be differentiated by adding more enticing features and newer mechanics.

The Sinnoh Remakes will be able to differentiate themselves from the get-go, so marketing and audience wise would make more sense to release before Let's Go Johto.
Having a Let's Go game after a slightly larger gap would make less people think "Similar to the previous game".

Moreover, if we go through the order of game release, Sinnoh is next because HGSS were released after Platinum, that would actually make sense in that context because of how Let's Go was released starting with Kanto because FRLG were released before Gen 4.

The Sinnoh Remakes will be able to differentiate themselves from the get-go, so marketing and audience wise would make more sense to release before Let's Go Johto.
Having a Let's Go game after a slightly larger gap would make less people think "Similar to the previous game".

I guess. I think it's mainly a matter of timing, and whether or not they want to get a game out next year. I don't see how anyone who wants a decent Sinnoh remake would want it to have only about a year and a half of development time, so surely it would be best to keep that game for 2021 at the earliest? I suppose they could always surprise me, but personally, I'm not expecting a DP remake next year anyway. So assuming that's the case, then what goes into that gap? Either nothing (which is certainly possible), or they could try to whip up another Let's Go game, and I think depending on what they really want to do with the Let's Go series, it makes a little more sense to strike on it while it's still a new thing rather than making the fans of it wait at least four years for another game like it. If anything, I think waiting would just make it look like the series can't commit to a gameplay style - we go from trad mechanics to new Go mechanics, then back to trad for two entries, then back to Go... whereas I think going trad-Go-trad-Go-trad makes it a little more clear that the Let's Go games are a distinct series running parallel to the traditional line. Of course, presentation is still a big part of that as well.

Or they could just import the Go mechanics into the main series, if they end up deciding that the gameplay changes were good but not enough to justify sustaining a whole Let's Go side-series. LGPE might have been more of an experiment than anything, and in that case, I assume the possibility of having those mechanics in SS was perhaps not even considered because they wanted to measure the reception first.

Imagine seeing Byron as a young gym leader and his little boy Roark playing around the mine wearing that little red helmet. Also, if Riley looks exactly the same as he does in DPPt, then we'd also have some backstory about the three. Byron said that Riley's age is unknown and he's a mysterious guy, and I really hope there's a reason they slipped in that line.
Who would replace Roark, and what was that line about Riley?

Who would replace Roark, and what was that line about Riley?
I imagine that the gym leaders would have been different in the prequels. I can see Crasher Wake, Fantina, Byron, and possibly Bertha being the original members consisting of the Sinnoh Gym/League, with maybe Lucian being part of the group early on as a Psychic prodigy.

This is an anime reference, but Byron was originally the gym leader of Oreburgh. When Roark got older Byron was offered a position in Canalave and accepted that, leaving Roark to take over the first gym.

Also, the line about Riley comes from Byron talking about him in the Villa. If I remember correctly, he mentions Riley is a mysterious fellow and that Byron himself doesn't know how old Riley is. Adding to that, if you talk to Riley on Iron Island, he was offered the gym leader position by Byron, but Riley refused.

and I don't know why I'm remembering all these things I just love this trio

This is an anime reference, but Byron was originally the gym leader of Oreburgh. When Roark got older Byron was offered a position in Canalave and accepted that, leaving Roark to take over the first gym.
That was not an anime reference. If you talk to Riley enough, he will tell you that he was offered the Oreburgh Gym.

EDIT: Found the quote:

Riley said:
Have you met Byron? The Leader of Canalave Gym? He's asked me to become a Gym Leader, but there's his son Roark to consider.

Last edited:
But, people might eventually get tired of revisiting old regions and want to get more new content. This will happen if they release 3 pairs of remakes in the span of 4 years. As I said, they need to space out the remake releases to avoid remake fatigue.
Well, that won't stop GF. We got tired of tropical regions and Kanto-pandering.
And if we don't get Sinnoh revisits in Gen 8, people will rage.

EDIT: How about a prequel that shows more of Cynthia? I would pay money to see how her journey started.

Last edited:
Well, that won't stop GF. We got tired of tropical regions and Kanto-pandering.
And if we don't get Sinnoh revisits in Gen 8, people will rage.

EDIT: How about a prequel that shows more of Cynthia? I would pay money to see how her journey started.
I can actually picture that. Maybe she could be a rival since we know she was a Pokédex holder.

If Gen 4 remakes do come out in 2020, I don't think they would release 2 pairs of remakes in back to back years.
I see no reason why not. The Let's Go branch has already been distinctly marked as its own new pillar of Pokemon games, it would seem. Plus, you gotta think like a business. Remakes are the easier and quicker games to produce and they still sell like hotcakes. Doing both DP remakes and a Let's Go Johto would just mean double the profits. I can't imagine GameFreak caring about releasing what is essentially two remake pairs in a row, especially when their only other option is a third version/sequel to SS, which would probably do the worst out of the three options (and could still be done to finish off the generation as the Switch slows down, especially since dev time has increased since the move to HD 3D games).

I mean... Let's Go Johto won’t have a lot to differentiate itself from Kanto in a period of around 2-3 years. We'll also end up visiting Kanto again, and as much as Kanto is in currently, having games with Kanto so soon together isn’t a great decision imo.

I really don't see a problem there. The exact same could be said of GSC. Besides, the masses literally always eat up Kanto stuff. There would be so many people excited for Let's Go 2 Johto and would probably see the Kanto post-game as a massive plus, especially after 3 years on.

I wonder if announcements of Sinnoh remakes would bring the same kind of reactions we got from Hoenn confirmed.
Well, they could do it in the same style, showing Dialga and Palkia coming out of portals then showing the release date for the game shortly after.

Last edited:
If Gen 4 remakes do come out in 2020, I don't think they would release 2 pairs of remakes in back to back years.

Ok then a Sinnoh sequel/prequel. Or better still, dual versions with one prequel and the other a sequel. So yea 2 consecutive remakes avoided!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom