• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda figured they could do some sort of Wild Area thing in a rehaul of the underground. The regular routes in Sinnoh could stay the same then. Other possibilities could include the Great Marsh and even the Distortion World.
Having the Great Marsh become something like a Wild Area would actually be something pretty cool to see since ORAS made it clear how Game Freak thinks that the standard Safari Zone isn't feasible anymore. I'd welcome that. Another candidate for a Sinnoh Wild Area could be the post-game island where we had the Fight Area, Survival Area, and the Resort Area. The routes could just be retconned as different sections of that open space.

However, turning the Distortion World into a Wild Area would not only be kind of tricky, but it could also feel out-of-place and might perhaps be viewed as a waste of potential for it. The reason I bring this up is the Distortion World's weird physics and the fact that it's supposed to lack the flow of time and space that the normal reality has is a huge part of this location's lore.

If Game Freak were to make the Distortion World into Sinnoh's new wild area, they'd have to address a few things regarding how both the Wild Area and the Distortion World works:
  • Due to the issue of the abnormal/lack of time-space flow, how would the changing-weather aspect of the Wild Area even work?
  • Putting a bunch of Pokémon in an alien setting would be considered out-of-place or simply viewed as a repeat of the Ultra Wormholes from USUM. Also, how would they fair with the Distortion World's abnormal physics?
  • The Distortion World from Pokémon Platinum had a bunch of different floating platforms and waterfalls that defied gravity from all sorts of angles, whereas the Wild Area seems to be one continuous open area with normal geometries and gravity. If Game Freak were to make the Distortion World into a Wild Area, would they have to throw away the gravity and disjointedness that makes the Distortion World feel unique? You might as well replace the Distortion World with something else at that point.
It's a nice idea for a work around as far as worrying how Sinnoh would fit in a Wild Area, but the concept doesn't really mesh well with the concept of the Distortion World. Beside, I'd rather the Distortion World be home to it's own unique species or variants of existing species than get reduced to a place for catching missing Pokémon.

Last edited:
I kinda figured they could do some sort of Wild Area thing in a rehaul of the underground. The regular routes in Sinnoh could stay the same then. Other possibilities could include the Great Marsh and even the Distortion World.

I’d also love to see Amity Square provide some sort of method of obtaining the starter Pokémon not available in the Galar Dex.

Having the Great Marsh become something like a Wild Area would actually be something pretty cool to see since ORAS made it clear how Game Freak thinks that the standard Safari Zone isn't feasible anymore. I'd welcome that. Another candidate for a Sinnoh Wild Area could be the post-game island where we had the Fight Area, Survival Area, and the Resort Area. The routes could just be retconned as different sections of that open space.

However, turning the Distortion World into a Wild Area would not only be kind of tricky, but it could also feel out-of-place and might perhaps be viewed as a waste of potential for it. The reason I bring this up is the Distortion World's weird physics and the fact that it's supposed to lack the flow of time and space that the normal reality has is a huge part of this location's lore.

If Game Freak were to make the Distortion World into Sinnoh's new wild area, they'd have to address a few things regarding how both the Wild Area and the Distortion World works:
  • Due to the issue of the abnormal/lack of time-space flow, how would the changing-weather aspect of the Wild Area even work?
  • Putting a bunch of Pokémon in an alien setting would be considered out-of-place or simply viewed as a repeat of the Utra Wormholes from USUM. Also, how would they fair with the Distortion World's abnormal physics?
  • The Distortion World from Pokémon Platinum had a bunch of different floating platforms and waterfalls that defied gravity from all sorts of angles, whereas the Wild Area seems to be one continuous open area with normal geometries and gravity. If Game Freak were to make the Distortion World into a Wild Area, would they have to throw away the gravity and disjointedness that make the Distortion World feel unique? You might as well replace the Distortion World with something else at that point.
It's a nice idea for a work around as far as worrying how Sinnoh would fit in a Wild Area, but the concept doesn't really mesh well with the concept of the Distortion World. Beside, I'd rather the Distortion World be home to it's own unique species or variants of existing species than get reduced to a place for catching missing Pokémon.

Out of those, the Great Marsh is the most feasible. It's already designed for catching Pokemon and would require the least work to overhaul it for that purpose. The Distortion World is empty, full of floating platforms, and has abnormal physics so it's not really suitable for open spaces or catching Pokemon. The Underground would be limited to just cave dwelling Pokemon and really isn't designed for catching (it's more for finding items, communication with other players, and mini games). And the Battle Zone would need a huge overhaul to work as an open space, retconning the routes to work like that would be harder and more intensive than you think and that wouldn't be worth it to Game Freak. The Great Marsh is already a fairly open space, they just need to change the object placement and then boom, open space. It might not be as large as you'd like, but it could work if people really want a Wild Area type of place in your Sinnoh remake.

In terms of regional dex additions, I only think that they would add the 7 Sinnoh legendaries that weren't in the Platinum Sinnoh dex (Heatran, Regigigas, Cresselia, Phione, Darkrai, Shaymin, and Arceus), Sylveon, the Regis (you need them in order to get Regigigas), and Ditto (it is needed in order to obtain Phione).

Again, remember that the Pokemon in the regional dex are the only ones that can be used. So those 221 Pokemon would be the only ones you can use in the remakes. Period. It is very rare that the entire game has that few Pokemon, and aside from LGPE, there hasn't been that few in a game altogether since what? RS? Maybe 210 in the main game could be seen as fairly reasonable (I would personally like more, but Platinum's dex is balanced enough that you could live with it), but you also have post game to consider and usually there's dozens if not hundreds of Pokemon that open up at that point. And Sinnoh's post game is HUGE. Even if they pull the "we wanted to remake DP and not Platinum card", there are so many post game areas to explore in DP. You have the Battle Zone which includes 3 routes and a volcano. You have the new section of Victory Road and Rt. 224. You have Snowpoint Temple. You have Sendoff Spring and Turnback Cave. I might even be forgetting an area or two (well, there's also Fullmoon Island, but there's no Pokemon there except Cresselia, so it's not really worth mentioning in this context). So what are they going to fill out all of those areas with? The same 221 Pokemon we already caught before? So then what's the incentive to actually go to those places? And that's not even getting into other methods of catching they had in the post game like Swarms, Pokeradar, dongle, new Pokemon appearing in the Great Marsh and Trophy Garden. IIRC, even DP has about 440some Pokemon catchable. So under this new policy, if the remakes' regional dex are just 221, that would be a MASSIVE step down from the originals and would leave people highly disappointed and upset, doubly so after they implemented this controversial feature. Theoretically they could just limit it to 221, but I highly doubt it. They need more than that to fill this game out (plus as a bonus more Pokemon would definitely help complement the missing Pokemon). Hence why I could easily see a 400-500 Dex. You may still only get 210 in the main game with the other 200-300 as post game, but that's a reasonable range to expect out of the entire game.

Last edited:
People literally do lol.
I was talking about the general audience. The people that I'm talking about don't know much about Pokemon.
Again, remember that the Pokemon in the regional dex are the only ones that can be used. So those 221 Pokemon would be the only ones you can use in the remakes. Period. It is very rare that the entire game has that few Pokemon, and aside from LGPE, there hasn't been that few in a game altogether since what? RS? Maybe 210 in the main game could be seen as fairly reasonable (I would personally like more, but Platinum's dex is balanced enough that you could live with it), but you also have post game to consider and usually there's dozens if not hundreds of Pokemon that open up at that point. And Sinnoh's post game is HUGE. Even if they pull the "we wanted to remake DP and not Platinum card", there are so many post game areas to explore in DP. You have the Battle Zone which includes 3 routes and a volcano. You have the new section of Victory Road and Rt. 224. You have Snowpoint Temple. You have Sendoff Spring and Turnback Cave. I might even be forgetting an area or two (well, there's also Fullmoon Island, but there's no Pokemon there except Cresselia, so it's not really worth mentioning in this context). So what are they going to fill out all of those areas with? The same 221 Pokemon we already caught before? So then what's the incentive to actually go to those places? And that's not even getting into other methods of catching they had in the post game like Swarms, Pokeradar, dongle, new Pokemon appearing in the Great Marsh and Trophy Garden. IIRC, even DP has about 440some Pokemon catchable. So under this new policy, if the remakes' regional dex are just 221, that would be a MASSIVE step down from the originals and would leave people highly disappointing and upset, doubly so after they implemented this controversial feature. Theoretically they could just limit it to 221, but I highly doubt it. They need more than that to fill this game out (plus as a bonus more Pokemon would definitely help complement the missing Pokemon). Hence why I could easily see a 400-500 Dex. You may still only get 210 in the main game with the other 200-300 as post game, but that's a reasonable range to expect out of the entire game.
That would excessively bloat the dex. Sinnoh isn't designed for a large regional dex because it was designed for the DS, not the Switch. They would have to completely remake the region with the Switch in mind in order to fit that many Pokemon in the game.

That would excessively bloat the dex. Sinnoh isn't designed for a large regional dex because it was designed for the DS, not the Switch. They would have to completely remake the region with the Switch in mind in order to fit that many Pokemon in the game.
The Pokémon are already located in the region, as Bolt mentioned that around 440 Pokemon are catchable in Sinnoh already. They'll just be added to the regional Dex as a formality for the 'Only regional Dex Pokemon are catchable and transferable' policy.

The Distortion world isn’t a great candidate for Wild Area imo. Finding regular Pokemon in Giratina’s dimension wouldn’t made sense. Hidden portals for Ultra Beasts could happen in there though, so that UBs are not left out of this generation.
If not Ultra Beasts, then I think that we could get new Distortion World Pokémon or variants of some sort.

Under the assumption that happens what would you guys expect or want from it? I’m 90% sure we’d get some sort of Cthulhu-esque Pikaclone out of it, but I personally want some sort of Normal/Ghost tardigrade.

Somehow I see a sortof parallel with some of the main casts...

Hop = Barry (Both are Rivals to the Player)
Champion Leon = Palmer (even though Palmer is Barry's father and Frontier Brain, whilst Leon is Hop's brother and Galar's undefeated Champion, it's still family relation)
Professor Magnolia = Professor Carolina (Both Pokemon Professors with granddaughters)
Sonia = Champion Cynthia (Both are granddaughters to a Pokemon Professor, even though Sonia is an apprentice whilst Cynthia is Sinnoh's undefeated Champion)

Seems like the roles of undefeated Champion have been switched about this time around. Let's wait and see if Leon is the Cynthia of the Galar Region. It would be surprising if Sonia would be the real Champion all along as a twist at the end.

I somehow see, just as Steven and Diantha in XY, Cynthia and Leon in Sword and Shield.

Last edited:
Somehow I see a sortof parallel with some of the main casts...

Hop = Barry (Both are Rivals to the Player)
Champion Leon = Palmer (even though Palmer is Barry's father and Frontier Brain, whilst Leon is Hop's brother and Galar's undefeated Champion, it's still family relation)
Professor Magnolia = Professor Carolina (Both Pokemon Professors with granddaughters)
Sonia = Champion Cynthia (Both are granddaughters to a Pokemon Professor, even though Sonia is an apprentice whilst Cynthia is Sinnoh's undefeated Champion)

Seems like the roles of undefeated Champion have been switched about this time around. Let's wait and see if Leon is the Cynthia of the Galar Region. It would be surprising if Sonia would be the real Champion all along as a twist at the end.

I somehow see, just as Steven and Diantha in XY, Cynthia and Leon in Sword and Shield.

"Professor Carolina" is an anime-exclusive character though (she was based on Cynthia's grandma, but wasn't actually named in the games), so I don't think Prof. Magnolia is meant to be her counterpart,

Again, you're not listening. Because of this new policy, anything that's in the game would have to be in the regional dex. That includes post game Pokemon. Those random Raticates and Fearows on Rt. 225? They need to be in the Sinnoh Dex or else you can't use them. The Pokeradar Pokemon? Need to be in the Sinnoh Dex as well. Swarm Pokemon, post game Great Marsh and Trophy Garden Pokemon? All of them have to be included. Nothing really needs to be overhauled, it's just that now every post game Pokemon they provide needs to be in. Doesn't necessarily mean they'll have to put them in the main game if you're worried about bloating the game.

Also, even if they were to put extra Pokemon in the main game, Sinnoh is a very large region with more areas than usual so it could support a large amount of Pokemon in the main game. More so than the likes of Kalos or Alola even. Just look at the distribution and see how many areas aren't padded out with the same 7 or 8 lines. Even moreso than the usual suspects, you also have stuff like Roselia, Ponyta, and Meditite appearing in 5 or 6 different areas throughout the game. They could fit another 50-100 Pokemon in the main game without much issue in the distribution if they wanted to. I'm not holding my breath for it, the main game will probably just be Platinum's 210 because they like keeping the core experience close to the original, but they could definitely do it.

"Professor Carolina" is an anime-exclusive character though (she was based on Cynthia's grandma, but wasn't actually named in the games), so I don't think Prof. Magnolia is meant to be her counterpart,
Perhaps there are some inspiration to this for Professor Magnolia and Sonia, just as Zoey was inspired from Brigette. I wouldn't be surprised if they reworked Cynthia's grandmother in the game to resemble Professor Carolina. Also, there is Cynthia's younger sister that hardly anyone speaks about.

I wouldn't be surprised if they outright took out the Battle Zone, given GF's unwillingness to create decent postgames nowadays.

I wouldn't be surprised if they outright took out the Battle Zone, given GF's unwillingness to create decent postgames nowadays.
And perhaps replace it with a facility that we might get in Sword and Shield's Post-Game. They did say that Sword and Shield is going to get a bigger Post-Game. However, giving account to how Game Freak is handling things, that's wishful thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom