• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that Swarms or the PokeFinder will be coming back due to changes. I don't think that we're getting a Sinnoh remake for a long time, so I don't care about discussions here.

The swarms can easily be replaced by Max Raid Battles, and Pokefinder might be an add-on with the Rotom Phone. We don't know a thing with Game Freak, they might give us a Gen 4 Remake with a Gen 8 vibe to it.

I personally think that the Gen 4 Remake will be coming out next year, there have already been a demand for it since Gen 7, just as there was for Gen 3 in Gen 5. Planning these things can be gradual and slow. Sword and Shield was being planned out since the release of Sun and Moon, and before that, Sun and Moon was being planned out since the release of X and Y and so on and so forth... so I think that the Gen 4 Remake is also being planned out around the same time as Sword and Shield, just as OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire was with X and Y. Need I remind everyone about GF's research trip a few years ago to see the Cave Paintings (Celestic Town) and Masuda being pictured in front of a Cathedral (Hearthome City) in Northern Spain/Southern France? This was done whilst Gen 8 was under development, where many at the time thought the Region prior to Galar would be based on Spain. You have the sense that something is being worked on for Gen 4, even as we speak.

Last edited:
The swarms can easily be replaced by Max Raid Battles, and Pokefinder might be an add-on with the Rotom Phone. We don't know a thing with Game Freak, they might give us a Gen 4 Remake with a Gen 8 vibe to it.

I personally think that the Gen 4 Remake will be coming out next year, there have already been a demand for it since Gen 7, just as there was for Gen 3 in Gen 5. Planning these things can be gradual and slow. Sword and Shield was being planned out since the release of Sun and Moon, and before that, Sun and Moon was being planned out since the release of X and Y and so on and so forth... so I think that the Gen 4 Remake is also being planned out around the same time as Sword and Shield, just as OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire was with X and Y. Need I remind everyone about GF's research trip a few years ago to see the Cave Paintings (Celestic Town) and Masuda being pictured in front of a Cathedral (Hearthome City) in Northern Spain/Southern France? This was done whilst Gen 8 was under development, where many at the time thought the Region prior to Galar would be based on Spain. You have the sense that something is being worked on for Gen 4, even as we speak.
I don't think that they would outright turn Sinnoh into a copy of Galar.

I don't think that they would outright turn Sinnoh into a copy of Galar.
They would if they want to fit it in the times we're now in. Isn't that the point of remakes sometimes?

also...

I don't think that we're getting a Sinnoh remake for a long time, so I don't care about discussions here.

Then why are you looking and discussing in this forum if you don't care?

If they cut the Battle Zone, there'd be even more outrage than there was with the Battle Frontier in ORAS and that would only support the narrative of "Game Freak is lazy/incompetent". I don't think there's ever been a remake that has less content than the original. That would just be downright unacceptable.

Last edited:
I don't think they would cut the Battle Zone.

However, I think that the Battle Zone will lack a Battle Frontier, and there will be a boring, regular Battle Tower instead.

I really do hope they do something akin to the Delta Episode from ORAS in the post-game, not at the cost of the other post-game activities of course. In fact, they can have two episodes happening, one would be the Renegade Episode which is about Giratina and Arceus and the other would be the Dream Episode that's about Cresselia and Darkrai.

I really do hope they do something akin to the Delta Episode from ORAS in the post-game, not at the cost of the other post-game activities of course. In fact, they can have two episodes happening, one would be the Renegade Episode which is about Giratina and Arceus and the other would be the Dream Episode that's about Cresselia and Darkrai.
From the looks of the trailer of Sword and Shield concerning the Legendaries, it looks to me like the main focus will be on the third Legendary. Perhaps Gen 4 would be of the same thing where you're supposed to stop Giratina before catching Dialga or Palkia.

From the looks of the trailer of Sword and Shield concerning the Legendaries, it looks to me like the main focus will be on the third Legendary. Perhaps Gen 4 would be of the same thing where you're supposed to stop Giratina before catching Dialga or Palkia.
Considering the Delta Episode from ORAS, I wouldn't be surprised if they did that. I want them to anyways.

I wouldn't be surprised if they outright took out the Battle Zone, given GF's unwillingness to create decent postgames nowadays.

A "decent post-game" is really subjective. They craft post-game content in a different way now, because their view of what most players will expect or enjoy has shifted, but there are still things to do - and whether or not an individual considers it "decent" is down to them. No one at Game Freak actually went and said something like, "You know, maybe we should start making our post-games deliberately milquetoast." They haven't enacted some campaign to deliberately strip all that they can out of some refusal to even engage with the idea of post-game content. Half of Poni Island was still reserved for the post-game in the Alola games, after all.

Of course, I would argue that there isn't actually all that much to the Battle Zone aside from the five routes and Stark Mountain (which is probably the biggest reason why they wouldn't remove it from a Sinnoh remake, because Heatran would obviously need to be available and there are no other volcanoes in Sinnoh). There's not really any reason why the Battle Park, Battleground, Ribbon Syndicate, and villa couldn't occupy a single town, had they been inclined to design it that way.

A "decent post-game" is really subjective. They craft post-game content in a different way now, because their view of what most players will expect or enjoy has shifted, but there are still things to do - and whether or not an individual considers it "decent" is down to them. No one at Game Freak actually went and said something like, "You know, maybe we should start making our post-games deliberately milquetoast." They haven't enacted some campaign to deliberately strip all that they can out of some refusal to even engage with the idea of post-game content. Half of Poni Island was still reserved for the post-game in the Alola games, after all.

Of course, I would argue that there isn't actually all that much to the Battle Zone aside from the five routes and Stark Mountain (which is probably the biggest reason why they wouldn't remove it from a Sinnoh remake, because Heatran would obviously need to be available and there are no other volcanoes in Sinnoh). There's not really any reason why the Battle Park, Battleground, Ribbon Syndicate, and villa couldn't occupy a single town, had they been inclined to design it that way.
Also we have to remember that fans are not the only target audience the company is catering towards, it's also the kids, and kids today have a very short attention span and are being raised on tablets and iphone devices because there are plenty of options to do. If a game is beat or if there's nothing to do for five minutes, then they would click on something else. That's why games have become easier to play, and why some shows like Thomas or Bob the builder have become bouncy, fast and exciting, equivalent to jingling keys.

kids today have a very short attention span and are being raised on tablets and iphone devices because there are plenty of options to do.

That's making a lot of assumptions...

If a game is beat or if there's nothing to do for five minutes, then they would click on something else.
I don't think "does something else when a game is beat" is something unique to younger audiences-most people will do something else when something is finished. And nothing to do for five minutes? Nobody at any age is willing to waste five minutes doing nothing.

A "decent post-game" is really subjective.
In a void, yes, it's kinda subjective.

But when analysed in context, it's quite obvious what a "decent postgame" means, since Game Freak have already set their own standards with their previous games.

I guess it really is subjective, but for me, a decent postgame would be BW1 and FRLG. A good postgame would be USUM. And an excellent postgame is obviously BW2, Emerald, HGSS and Platinum.

Last edited:

Game Freak is alone in this thinking though, especially on handheld/console. There really hasn't been all that much of a shift in player preferences in traditional console games and whenever they tried to appeal to new audiences, it was short lived (see: DS and Wii vs. 3DS and Wii U, Kinect and Move). The audience those kinds of initiatives try to capture are fickle and not particularly interested in dedicated gaming devices in the first place, so once the novelty wore off they moved on. What developers seem to have realized now is that the most reliable way for them to sell their games is to try and make them as polished as possible and appeal to as many different types of preferences as they can. Game Freak unfortunately doesn't seem to have come to this realization yet.

At any rate, a "good post game" would follow this same philosophy, including as much content as they can to appeal to a variety of different gameplay styles and preferences. For Pokemon that would mean appealing to people that like to battle, catch Pokemon, battle competitively, explore the overworld, engage with the story and characters, interact with other players, and participate in fun side activities (and maybe a few other things I might be forgetting). To provide that, a good post game should really have most if not all of the following:

-A battle facility of some sorts. Preferably more than just a vanilla Battle Tower type of place
-At least 200 additional Pokemon to catch
-An entire section of new areas such as the Battle Zone
-A post game story arc such as the Delta Episode
-Some type of new side activity, preferably one with online multiplayer

We really have only been getting about half of this list in the last few games, hence the disappointment.

As for Sinnoh, it already has most of this satisfied already. The only thing that's missing is a story arc. So if they can at least give us DP + post game story then we should be good, but considering Game Freak's inability to check all these boxes as of late it's fair to question if they'll even do that much.

At any rate, a "good post game" would follow this same philosophy, including as much content as they can to appeal to a variety of different gameplay styles and preferences.

No, that would be an ideal post-game. But a thing need not be perfect to have good qualities. You can have a "good" post-game that does not satisfy all of those criteria, but at that point it depends on who you're asking. I, for instance, could not care less about battle facilities or catching 200 (a rather arbitrary number) extra Pokémon, but if the game still offered other things that I like to do, then I'd be broadly satisfied and would probably consider it a decent-to-good post-game section. And on the flipside, even if the game came up short in an area that I do like to focus on, that doesn't invalidate all of the other good elements. It just means there's an area in which they could have done better in order to make the game more to my liking.

No, that would be an ideal post-game. But a thing need not be perfect to have good qualities. You can have a "good" post-game that does not satisfy all of those criteria, but at that point it depends on who you're asking. I, for instance, could not care less about battle facilities or catching 200 (a rather arbitrary number) extra Pokémon, but if the game still offered other things that I like to do, then I'd be broadly satisfied and would probably consider it a decent-to-good post-game section. And on the flipside, even if the game came up short in an area that I do like to focus on, that doesn't invalidate all of the other good elements. It just means there's an area in which they could have done better in order to make the game more to my liking.

The whole point is to eliminate the "it depends who you're asking" part of the equation by including something for everyone. Then no matter what you like about the series, you'll have something to engage with after beating the game and you'll consider it "good". Being well rounded doesn't really make something "perfect", these elements can still have flaws if the execution is lacking or if there's something missing, but for it to widely be considered "good" it needs to hit those various elements so that nearly the entire fanbase can find something that suits their personal preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom