• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
ORAS didn’t include customisation because it was intended to be Kalos exclusive at that time. There’s no reason Sinnoh remakes won’t have customisation.
A reason why I don't think customization would be included is because they would have to drastically change the town layouts, as they would have to have somewhere to put clothing stores.

A reason why I don't think customization would be included is because they would have to drastically change the town layouts, as they would have to have somewhere to put clothing stores.
Adding literally one building wouldn’t drastically change the town layout, and like @Grass Type Gardenia said, if they combine Pokémon Centre and Pokemarts there will be enough space easily, specially if customisation is executed on a smaller scale than SwSh to keep Dawn and Lucas recognisable, maybe.

They might not want to do that in order to keep the games somewhat faithful to the originals.
True. They didn't merge Pokemon Centers and Pokemarts together until Gen 5. The seperate Pokemon Centers and Pokemarts is really the Japanese Regions only thing.

They might not want to do that in order to keep the games somewhat faithful to the originals.
Sometimes you say that they’ll edit Sinnoh to the degree it’s unrecognisable and we shouldn’t want a Sinnoh remakes now because of it, and now you’re saying that features won’t be added to keep the game faithful to the originals?

Why do we have to go with the most feeling of doom inducing possibility?

I think they might add customisation, but not as intensive as Galar to keep the characters recognisable as Lucas and Dawn. Customisation was not in ORAS because at first it was intended to be exclusive to Kalos, so we can’t use that precedent. They changed their minds and added customisation to (U)SM. Then the next unconventional remake we had included limited customisation so that’s the only precedent we have.

Sometimes you say that they’ll edit Sinnoh to the degree it’s unrecognisable and we shouldn’t want a Sinnoh remakes now because of it, and now you’re saying that features won’t be added to keep the game faithful to the originals?

Why do we have to go with the most feeling of doom inducing possibility?

I think they might add customisation, but not as intensive as Galar to keep the characters recognisable as Lucas and Dawn. Customisation was not in ORAS because at first it was intended to be exclusive to Kalos, so we can’t use that precedent. They changed their minds and added customisation to (U)SM. Then the next unconventional remake we had included limited customisation so that’s the only precedent we have.
There's also the possibility that Lucas and Dawn would be replaced with new protagonists in order to allow customization to be included.

I'd say that Lucas and Dawn can return and still be customizable to some degree. Some of the options that I say would be guaranteed are their outfits from Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. Now onto what they can do with the Spear Pillar, it is going to be changed in some way just like the Sky Pillar. I do hope they bring back the Azure Flute and make it usable in a quest this time, Arceus seems to be the only Sinnoh mythical who didn't get a proper event even though the Azure Flute use and the battle against Arceus himself have been programmed into the game. And again, nothing removes the possibility of an unused item becoming used in a later entry, like the Magma Stone being in the Gen 4 game codes but being used in B2W2.

There's also the possibility that Lucas and Dawn would be replaced with new protagonists in order to allow customization to be included.
Even if they want extensive customisation the games can function with Lucas and Dawn as the base setting.

There are literally no issues with customisation in Sinnoh.

Arceus seems to be the only Sinnoh mythical who didn't get a proper event

I don't even know what fans consider "a proper event" anymore.

The Azure Flute "event" is literally just you walking up a staircase and battling Arceus with no fanfare of any kind.

Meanwhile, even though it was distributed directly to HGSS without being catchable, the event it was involved in there was far more elaborate and lore-driven and has thoroughly more to suggest about Arceus than "it hangs out on a glass patio overlooking a mountain." And then you can still trade the HGSS Arceus over to Platinum in order to unlock the Hiker interactions that the Hall of Origin Arceus would have, so really not much is lost other than the most tedious step of the process.

Last edited:

The Azure Flute "event" is literally just you walking up a staircase and battling it with no fanfare of any kind.

Meanwhile, even though it was distributed directly to HGSS without being catchable, the event it was involved in there was far more elaborate and lore-driven and has thoroughly more to suggest about Arceus than "it hangs out on a glass patio overlooking a mountain." And then you can still trade the HGSS Arceus over to Platinum in order to unlock the Hiker interactions that the Hall of Origin Arceus would have, so really not much is lost other than the most tedious step of the process.
Plus in HGSS, you come to a hidden ruin where you meet Cynthia who takes you to an alter, having chosen an Orb, Arceus creates for you a Level 1 Dialga, Palkia or Giratina.

The Azure Flute "event" is literally just you walking up a staircase and battling Arceus with no fanfare of any kind.

I’m assuming they meant that you wouldn’t just be handed Arceus by a delivery man in the Pokémon Center/Mart, that there’d be something more for the player to do. While the Azure Flute event isn’t exactly a lot of content, it’s still more than just going to some building and talking to some guy.

Last edited:
While the Azure Flute event isn’t exactly a lot of content, it’s still more than just going to some building and talking to some guy.

But so is going to the Ruins of Alph with Arceus and meeting up with Cynthia and witnessing Arceus and the Unown create a newborn member of the Dragon trio in a big cutscene. The Azure Flute event is "more content" than "picking it up from the delivery guy," but the pickup is not all that the HGSS event entails.

Fixating on the method of delivery feels like a forest-for-trees situation to me.

I mean really, you'd have to visit the delivery guy in order to get the Flute anyway. So that's part of the equation no matter what - the difference is just whether you're picking up an item or a Pokémon. From there is where the actual event takes the lead, and HGSS's is pretty unambiguously a bigger deal than Platinum's. Distributing the Pokémon directly rather than having you catch it just cuts out the middleman of having to sit and wait for it to get in the ball. Until Gen 6/7, you still got "lore" even with direct distribution.

Last edited:
But so is going to the Ruins of Alph with Arceus and meeting up with Cynthia and witnessing Arceus and the Unown create a newborn member of the Dragon trio in a big cutscene. The Azure Flute event is "more content" than "picking it up from the delivery guy," but the pickup is not all that the HGSS event entails.

Fixating on the method of delivery feels like a forest-for-trees situation to me.

I mean really, you'd have to visit the delivery guy in order to get the Flute anyway. So that's part of the equation no matter what - the difference is just whether you're picking up an item or a Pokémon. From there is where the actual event takes the lead, and HGSS's is pretty unambiguously a bigger deal than Platinum's. Distributing the Pokémon directly rather than having you catch it just cuts out the middleman of having to sit and wait for it to get in the ball. Until Gen 6/7, you still got "lore" even with direct distribution.

I think you might be in the minority there, the method of delivery is perhaps the most important part to a lot of people. Mythicals are meant to be rare and special Pokemon that can only be obtained through external methods, and how you encounter the Pokemon adds to that feeling. If you're just unceremoniously handed them from some random NPC it kind of cheapens their value as opposed to having to unlock a secret area and go catch it. It's similar to how people complained about receiving Mega Lucario right off the bat in XY, or how Latios/Latias randomly joined you in ORAS without battling it. It just feels like you're getting a rare and powerful Pokemon too easily.

I think you might be in the minority there, the method of delivery is perhaps the most important part to a lot of people. Mythicals are meant to be rare and special Pokemon that can only be obtained through external methods, and how you encounter the Pokemon adds to that feeling. If you're just unceremoniously handed them from some random NPC it kind of cheapens their value as opposed to having to unlock a secret area and go catch it. It's similar to how people complained about receiving Mega Lucario right off the bat in XY, or how Latios/Latias randomly joined you in ORAS without battling it. It just feels like you're getting a rare and powerful Pokemon too easily.

Right, but that's not really what I'm quibbling with. Rather I'm questioning the notion that DPP's Arceus event, which is just "here's a flute, kiddo!" and then you catch Arceus on a dull slate of glass and talk to the Hiker and that's it, is somehow "more content" or "more proper" than how HGSS does something that actually illustrates some of Arceus's mythic powers, telling us about some of the historical ideas around it and letting you obtain another powerful Pokémon in a pretty memorable scene while also paying off a bit of Cynthia's character. It's, you know... an event.

(Come to think of it, there's really a remarkable amount of ceremony for obtaining a rare Pokémon in that case - it's just not for Arceus itself.)

Hypothetically speaking, if the HGSS event had never happened but the Azure Flute event had, I think Arceus would still come off as having the poorest treatment among the Sinnoh Mythicals. Its event says virtually nothing about it or its abilities, whereas Shaymin creates a whole island of flowers and gets people waxing about gratitude, while Darkrai gets the spooky hotel nightmare sequence. Even Manaphy had more pomp, requiring you to complete a mission in Pokémon Ranger that talked about some myths related to it and portrayed it as a sought-after Pokémon for the powers it can grant to people.

I get how and why just being handed a Pokémon isn't particularly fun or memorable for people, even though I don't think waiting 15 minutes for something with paralysis and 3 HP to finally just get in the ball is very fun either. But acting like Arceus somehow got shortchanged... eh. There really wasn't all that much to the Platinum event, and what they did with it in HGSS is still a lot more than Volcanion or Marshadow got. Same for HGSS Celebi - no, it's not the GS Ball event and you don't capture it, but you do get to actually see it using its time-travel abilities in a way that lets us learn more about Silver and have an extra boss battle with Giovanni. There's still effort going into that, and there's still unlockable content. What does Magearna get you?

Right, but that's not really what I'm quibbling with. Rather I'm questioning the notion that DPP's Arceus event, which is just "here's a flute, kiddo!" and then you catch Arceus on a dull slate of glass and talk to the Hiker and that's it, is somehow "more content" or "more proper" than how HGSS does something that actually illustrates some of Arceus's mythic powers, telling us about some of the historical ideas around it and letting you obtain another powerful Pokémon in a pretty memorable scene while also paying off a bit of Cynthia's character. It's, you know... an event.

(Come to think of it, there's really a remarkable amount of ceremony for obtaining a rare Pokémon in that case - it's just not for Arceus itself.)

Hypothetically speaking, if the HGSS event had never happened but the Azure Flute event had, I think Arceus would still come off as having the poorest treatment among the Sinnoh Mythicals. Its event says virtually nothing about it or its abilities, whereas Shaymin creates a whole island of flowers and gets people waxing about gratitude, while Darkrai gets the spooky hotel nightmare sequence. Even Manaphy had more pomp, requiring you to complete a mission in Pokémon Ranger that talked about some myths related to it and portrayed it as a sought-after Pokémon for the powers it can grant to people.

I get how and why just being handed a Pokémon isn't particularly fun or memorable for people, even though I don't think waiting 15 minutes for something with paralysis and 3 HP to finally just get in the ball is very fun either. But acting like Arceus somehow got shortchanged... eh. There really wasn't all that much to the Platinum event, and what they did with it in HGSS is still a lot more than Volcanion or Marshadow got. Same for HGSS Celebi - no, it's not the GS Ball event and you don't capture it, but you do get to actually see it using its time-travel abilities in a way that lets us learn more about Silver and have an extra boss battle with Giovanni. There's still effort going into that, and there's still unlockable content. What does Magearna get you?

Arceus should definitely get more spotlight in a remake , with a special place for it instead of just a flute. I agree that the Azure event would be very little to such a Pokémon. Perhaps Cynthia could have a new outift based on Arceus and finally have perhaps a great post-game content (that remains available after "completed") with some references to the Sinjoh ruins. I'd love if they introduced a new tribe from Sinnoh or the Battle area, as a nod to the Ainu, that know and worship Arceus.

Last edited:

No argument there, Arceus definitely deserves more lore, especially when it's so closely related to Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina. They should really give us the best of both worlds in the remake and let you capture Arceus during some kind of storyline event. The best way to go about it would probably be through a Delta Episode sort of setup, have it feature as a major part of a post game story arc and give you the opportunity to catch it as part of the plot.

Pokeshopper has hinted a bit more for the Diamond and Pearl Remake likely coming out next year. Please click 6:44 to 7:28

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOjiRzjJvTs

He'll also be making the vid on Gen 4 merchandising for 2020 in that year.

Since we had Bridgette from ''Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Box'' for the GameCube to represent ''Pokemon Bank'', then perhaps we will see Hayley from ''My Pokemon Ranch'' on the Wii to represent ''Pokemon Home''. We can expect something far more for Home than we realise.

Last edited:
Due to another thread pertaining SwSH, I just remebered something: I hope GF doesn't bring any of the Rotom Dex and Phone trash to a Sinnoh remake!

Due to another thread pertaining SwSH, I just remebered something: I hope GF doesn't bring any of the Rotom Dex and Phone trash to a Sinnoh remake!
With the new anime taking place in all Regions, I'm sure it might happen. Although Gardenia might find Rotom Phone quite disturbing at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom