• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, May change a lot and I don't like. In past generation, there was a tendency for more apparently childish protagonists.
May doesn't look different enough from her RS design for me to call it a drastic change. She still looks like enough like May that it wasn't too bad. Kris and Lyra were so different that they're literally two seperate characters now. I doubt they'd change anyone that bad in a DP remake

I suppose Red looks a bit different, it seems he changes every game he's in. I forgot about him.

Last edited:
Lol, the difference is huge. Obviously she is May, but the character is more bland and childish, opossed to expected. In other remakes, protagonists matured and were not undermined.

Besides, Lyra and Kris are different characters Lol.

Lol, the difference is huge. Obviously she is May, but the character is more bland and childish, opossed to expected. In other remakes, protagonists matured and were not undermined.

Besides, Lyra and Kris are different characters Lol.

I don't find that HGSS Ethan/Gold looks any more mature than his GSC version, nor does Brendan. You also have to account for a shift in artstyle between RSE and ORAS. The protagonists were still meant to be children, even in 2003.

Lyra is still a redesigned version of the Crystal female protagonist, so I don't see why she can't be compared to Kris at all.

If we ever get a remake of diamond and pearl I wonder how Dawn will look.

They usually have a decent track record for protag redesigns. The only one that sucked was ORAS Brendan.

But Diamond and Pearl Dawn's design already was horrible anyways so everything is an improvement.

I don't find that HGSS Ethan/Gold looks any more mature than his GSC version, nor does Brendan. You also have to account for a shift in artstyle between RSE and ORAS. The protagonists were still meant to be children, even in 2003.

Ethan is, by all means, a lightherted, sportive and merry character, but What ?? Gold, often, looks like a elementary boy.
Brendan obviously not matured, because this certainly not is the actual intention of Pokemon games. Otherwise, he was not so heavily changed. Futhermore, i prefer his emerald design.

You can compare Crystal/Lyra, but talk about a refedefinied character as if it was pured redesigned ? It is misleading.
On the other hand, i think that Dawn's design old well. Beside that, she is a notoriously acclaimed character, therefore, i believe her and Cynthia will suffer only slighty adaptations. Lucas, i hope, could be rebuilt.

However, there is a point, Trainer Customisation. In order that you can totally personalize the protagonists they look more bland.

Last edited:
On the other hand, i think that Dawn's design old well. Besides, she is a notoriously acclaimed character, therefore, i believe her and Cynthia will suffer only slighty adaptations. Lucas, i hope, could be rebuilt.

However, there is a point, Trainer Customisation. In order that you can totally personalize the protagonists they look more bland.

I agree that they probably won't alter the more iconic characters too much, and that's probably for the best.

Including trainer customization is the ideal thing to do at this point, since it seems it's staying for the rest of the series. I would like for it to be in a remake. ORAS didn't have it because if I remember correctly, it was meant to be a one-time thing for XY, but Game Freak seems to have changed their mind on that. So I'm hopeful that it'll get into a remake this time.

It would be cool if they integrated customization into contests, like if you enter a cool-themed contest, you need to dress cool, or dressing cutely for a cute contest. Maybe something like that could replace the touch screen dress-up minigame they had in DP, since I have no idea how that would work on the Switch.

It would be cool if they integrated customization into contests, like if you enter a cool-themed contest, you need to dress cool, or dressing cutely for a cute contest. Maybe something like that could replace the touch screen dress-up minigame they had in DP, since I have no idea how that would work on the Switch.

Yep, it is a good idea, Contests and Customization could add up value to each other.

Last edited:
Frosslass getting Queenly majesty in gen 8 sword and shield and a mega in gen 4 remakes.
It has a free ability slot for this as a hidden one.
My prediction. Or a mega with Queenly Majesty?

Jynx also could be a candidate for this if something.

May’s redesign was fine and it looks better in fanart and in animation than in the original Sugimori art. Now them having May crushing on Brendan if she’s your rival is another thing; they basically made May into full waifu in the game.

Well, it's not like it wasn't there before.

They made the crush with May (if she's your rival) pretty blatant. It's still there from Brendan's side if you play as May, but more subtle.

They basically did it because by 2014, 12 years after May was introduced, GameFreak was well aware of how popular her design/character was in the franchise for a decade. May's design was always one of the most popular of the female leads.

Whether or not Mega Evolutions will actually be available I can't begin to guess, but I will be surprised if there's no reference to it at least. It was said in XY that Prof. Sycamore was a pupil of Prof. Rowan when he was young, and remakes have generally been pretty good about remembering those sorts of of character continuity bits.

Gen 4 remakes not using Mega Evolutions would be a huge waste considering Rowan's research is centered around evolution.
I'd also like to imagine that Sinnoh would get its own share of regional evolutions as well. It would be a shame if neither concept were present and they just switched Rowan's studies to Dynamax instead.

Keep Rowan's studies evolution-related Game Freak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom