• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd also like to imagine that Sinnoh would get its own share of regional evolutions as well. It would be a shame if neither concept were present and they just switched Rowan's studies to Dynamax instead.

Keep Rowan's studies evolution-related Game Freak!
Professor Rowan would be more interested with Gigantomaxing than Dynamaxing tbh, since it may have some relation to Mega Evolution. But then, he'd be more focused on permanent evolutions, so he would be interested with Galar's Regional Varient's evolutions such as Obstagoon and Sirfetch'd.

I also wonder if Professor Rowan and Magnolia knew each other in their younger days?

Even if Dynamax is in the games, they're not going to change Rowan's research specialty. There's no point in doing so and they didn't do that with Elm or Birch, even though in the latter's case especially they could have made him study Mega Evolution or Primal Reversion. Rowan studying evolution is part of his character concept and they don't usually mess around with that stuff.

That said, I wouldn't expect his study of evolution to become any more significant in the remakes than it was in the originals.

At this point we’re operating on the assumption that Diamond/Pearl/Platinum remakes will be Generation VIII following sometime after Sword and Shield (If past trends are anything to go by that is), so I feel like I can’t get into much detail with speculation until we get the full scoop with the new games next month. That said, I do have certain hopes and expectations already. At the very least:

• Visuals and technical aspects on par with Sword and Shield so same art style, same basic mechanics, no grid based map
  • Include Generation VIII game play features, so have an equivalent to the Y Comm/PSS, Poke Jobs/Pelago, Wild Area, Refresh/Amie/Camping, and so on
  • Be compatible with the remainder of Generation VIII. The whole “limited selection of species accessible in one game” situation will likely hamper battling and trading between Sword Shield and potential Diamond Pearl remakes within the same generation, but still have something.
  • Have generally all content from the original Diamond Pearl present in some way shape or form. No cutting out the Underground or Contests for instance. Alpha Sapphire Omega Ruby did omit content many fans expected it to have, but as far as I can recall it didn’t outright cut anything major from the original Sapphire Ruby.
  • Sun and Moon had it, Sword and Shield has it, the recent Yellow remakes that aren’t even main series have it, so character customization is obligatory at this point. There can be room for apparel shops and hairdressers if the Poke marts and centers are merged like they are in SwSh, considering that the city maps are going to need an overhaul to lose the grid based format anyways. And I wouldn’t mind simply reusing the shop and clothing assets from SwSh; Galar and Sinnoh look like they have a similar climate.

Whether or not Mega Evolutions will actually be available I can't begin to guess, but I will be surprised if there's no reference to it at least. It was said in XY that Prof. Sycamore was a pupil of Prof. Rowan when he was young, and remakes have generally been pretty good about remembering those sorts of of character continuity bits.

I highly doubt Mega Evolution will feature in DPPt remakes at this point; Generation VII essentially abandoned it and Generation VIII subsequently doubled down on that move by eliminating it altogether (Same goes for the National Poke Dex).

As far as in universe context goes, I take it this means Generation VIII takes place in a world where the Ultimate Weapon was never fired and Mega Evolution thus never came to exist, as was suggested in AsOr. Assuming that is the case, what would that mean for Sycamore’s character since that was his area of expertise. Maybe an extra in Rowan’s lab can have a throwaway line “A young man once came from the Kalos region to study here under the professor!” or something like that.

I do want remakes to acknowledge relevant characters and bits of story added since Generation IV. Besides the one about Sycamore being Rowan’s student, there is also Drasna being inspired by the legends of Dialga and Palkia told by her grandparents from Celestic Town, and the Ether Foundation taking a research trip to Sinnoh in order to learn about Arceus. I don’t know about Sycamore, but I can see the latter two having cameos in game. Drasna being the Draco Meteor move tutor would be a nice touch, and Faba perhaps could have a role similar to that Hiker in Platinum giving exposition about the Plates.

I liked what Sun Moon did by making all returning characters (besides Looker of course) battleable at some point, so I hope that happens here too.

Alpha Sapphire Omega Ruby did omit content many fans expected it to have, but as far as I can recall it didn’t outright cut anything major from the original Sapphire Ruby.
Except the battle frontier.

Wait, you said major, my bad.

I'm kidding but yeah, I don't caere about the battle frontier and I will continue to make fun of it.

Except the battle frontier.

Wait, you said major, my bad.

I'm kidding but yeah, I don't caere about the battle frontier and I will continue to make fun of it.

The Battle Frontier (along with Mirage Tower, Desert Underpass, the improved Gym Leader rosters and rematches) was only present in Emerald, so strictly speaking OrAs wasn’t cutting content by omitting it. OrAs should have included those Emerald features anyways, but I digress.

The berry blending mini game is one of the few things OrAs actually did cut from the original Ruby Sapphire, but I doubt the same thing will happen with Generation VIII DPPt remakes since the Curry mini game in SwSh is already so similar to Poffins.

• Sun and Moon had it, Sword and Shield has it, the recent Yellow remakes that aren’t even main series have it, so character customization is obligatory at this point. There can be room for apparel shops and hairdressers if the Poke marts and centers are merged like they are in SwSh, considering that the city maps are going to need an overhaul to lose the grid based format anyways. And I wouldn’t mind simply reusing the shop and clothing assets from SwSh; Galar and Sinnoh look like they have a similar climate.
I am not expecting character customization to be in these games for a multitude of reasons, including that it would mean that Lucas and Dawn would be replaced with brand new protagonists.

Assuming that is the case, what would that mean for Sycamore’s character since that was his area of expertise.

I guess he'd have found something else Kalos-ish to study, like the bonds between people and Pokémon.

Maybe an extra in Rowan’s lab can have a throwaway line “A young man once came from the Kalos region to study here under the professor!” or something like that.

Yep, that's pretty much what I had in mind.

including that it would mean that Lucas and Dawn would be replaced with brand new protagonists.
You’re free to scroll back on the thread and see all the (unanswered) arguments on why customisation wouldn’t mean Lucas and Dawn have to be replaced because I don’t really want to repeat well thought out posts again and again only for them to be ignored.

The thing is now that character customization has been firmly established as a feature in main series installments, and considering that even the non-main series Yellow remakes bothered to include it, not having customization is kinda inexcusable at this point. Regardless of how it may ultimately affect the protagonist redesigns.

I'll just quote the answers I already provided for these concerns (interestingly, to Riley himself previously too!):

ORAS didn’t include customisation because it was intended to be Kalos exclusive at that time. There’s no reason Sinnoh remakes won’t have customisation.

I am not expecting character customization to be in these games for a multitude of reasons, including that it would mean that Lucas and Dawn would be replaced with brand new protagonists.
Even if they want extensive customisation the games can function with Lucas and Dawn as the base setting.

There are literally no issues with customisation in Sinnoh.

I don't think that Game Freak would let us tamper with their iconic designs, considering that ORAS didn't have character customization at all.
Actually ORAS didn’t have character customisation because it was first intended to be Kalos exclusives. LGPE came out after the decision that customisation shouldn’t be exclusive to Kalos.
It's different because XY had customization from the get go. Sinnoh didn't.
Refer to previous quote.

If customization is included, then that's what will happen. Also, Sinnoh's town layouts would have to be drastically redesigned because they weren't designed with customization in mind.
Why are you purposefully ignoring the answers to all of this provided in the thread already?

At this point, no offence, it feels like typing to nothingness to put it politely.
Again, just merge the Pokemart and Pokecenter and stuff a boutique in the remaining place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom