• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If customization is in this game and the original protags are kept, I think that customization will be as barebones as it was in LGPE.

I don't think that Game Freak would let us tamper with their iconic designs, considering that ORAS didn't have character customization at all.

I don’t think GameFreak is worried about letting the players “tamper with their iconic designs,” because of the fact that Dawn and Lucas will be redesigned so it’s not like they’ll have their iconic designs anyway and because, well, I don’t think GameFreak cares about design iconicness. I’m pretty certain the reason we didn’t get customization in ORAS was because it wasn’t in the originals. However, the fact that LGPE, a game that’s very faithful to the original, has customization gives me hope that we’ll see it in DPPt remakes. I figure by now GameFreak realized that not allowing customization in ORAS was a mistake.

Apologies for the double post.

Also, Sinnoh's town layouts would have to be drastically redesigned because they weren't designed with customization in mind.

I don’t think the town layouts will have to be “drastically redesigned” in order to accommodate boutiques. There’s plenty of buildings, especially in major towns, where you can’t enter—couldn’t GameFreak just convert one into a boutique?

Also, I’m sure the towns will have to be redesigned anyway in order to line up with SwSh’s towns, including adding more buildings to make it more realistic. Wouldn’t be hard to fit in a boutique.

I don’t think the town layouts will have to be “drastically redesigned” in order to accommodate boutiques. There’s plenty of buildings, especially in major towns, where you can’t enter—couldn’t GameFreak just convert one into a boutique?

Also, I’m sure the towns will have to be redesigned anyway in order to line up with SwSh’s towns, including adding more buildings to make it more realistic. Wouldn’t be hard to fit in a boutique.

Sinnoh's town layouts need to be redesigned anyways if they're going to have the SwSh style.

If they don't want to merge Pokemarts, they could also just add another floor to a department store or some building in Jubilife and use it as the one boutique for the whole game like in LGPE. Then nothing needs to change. They can make it so that you can unlock clothes as you get more badges or something. I don't see how the addition of one building would be a super drastic change in the remake, either.

Honestly, with the way SWSH seems to be looking, I'd prefer drastic town redesigns. Anything faithful to DPPt would easily be a downgrade from everything we've seen in SWSH previews. They have the potential to make Sinnoh look livelier and more detailed than ever, and I fail to see why they wouldn't to it.

Last edited:
I think that DPPt remakes should be on the level of SwSh if they’re going to be main series Generation VIII titles, in regard to customization and other features. This will mean changing things like area layouts, but given that we’re going from 2d grid based DS graphics to 3D 360* Switch graphics change is necessary.

I think that DPPt remakes should be on the level of SwSh if they’re going to be main series Generation VIII titles, in regard to customization and other features. This will mean changing things like area layouts, but given that we’re going from 2d grid based DS graphics to 3D 360* Switch graphics change is necessary.

That certainly didn't make them budge with LGP/E.

I'd love to believe that they will go all-out with a DPPt remake, but they didn't even do the bare minimum with a GB Pokemon remake, and still sold it as a $60 game on the Switch all of the same.

That certainly didn't make them budge with LGP/E.

I figure GameFreak didn't update LGPE because it would sell insanely well irregardless of the quality due to having a nostalgic pull DPPt doesn't have, and because they wanted to keep the games as faithful to the original as possible. I don't think it will be the same thing for DPPt, hopefully.

The nostalgia > modernisation problem is common in all video game remakes, unfortunately. People would love to see a remake of Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly that includes everything the developers wanted to include, but that's never going to happen because that's not why companies make remakes.
Also, wasn't the company that made Enter the Dragonfly dead, making it harder (if not impossible) to do that?

I'm pretty sure that doesn't matter because the rights to the Spyro IP always belong to the publisher. My point was that companies don't want to fix bad games, or fix the flaws in good/decent games. Even in HeartGold and SoulSilver, a bunch of Gen 2 Pokémon still have 1% encounter rates (eg: Yanma and Marill), when they didn't in Crystal.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't matter because the rights to the Spyro IP always belong to the publisher.
Well, I was talking about the design documents that could be lost, meaning that we don't know exactly what was lost. Then again, in recent years we have seen footage of various cancelled Spyro projects, including ones that were unrevealed until that time, so there's a chance.
My point was that companies don't want to fix bad games, or fix the flaws in good/decent games. Even in HeartGold and SoulSilver, a bunch of Gen 2 Pokémon still have 1% encounter rates (eg: Yanma and Marill), when they didn't in Crystal.
I think that's kinda problematic, but at the same time I can get why, considering how people react to change. On the otherside, I have not seen a company try to take a middle ground, seeing how some companies actually try to change too much (like with happened to the Lufia II remake).

I figure GameFreak didn't update LGPE because it would sell insanely well irregardless of the quality due to having a nostalgic pull DPPt doesn't have, and because they wanted to keep the games as faithful to the original as possible. I don't think it will be the same thing for DPPt, hopefully.

For what it’s worth, LGPE isn’t a main series title and it does a number of things (completely changing encounter and catching mechanics, different art style, different continuity, and so on) that would not be done for a main series game.

All past main series remakes have kept up with the visual and technical standards of their respective generation, and so I would expect the same from a DPPt remake in Generation VIII.

There is no guarantee it will happen since Generation IV -> VIII would be the biggest leap in the technical department yet (even more so than III -> VI), but if they don’t keep up with SwSh they would be failing to meet the standard set by all their past main series remakes.

Didn't Masuda say it was? Though, I agree with your post.

Regardless of how it’s officially classified, I think it’s safe to assume LGPE isn’t in the same realm as Sun Moon, OrAs, SwSh, and so on.

LGPE is technically Generation VII for instance, but it clearly isn’t following the cues of Sun and Moon.

For what it’s worth, LGPE isn’t a main series title and it does a number of things (completely changing encounter and catching mechanics, different art style, different continuity, and so on) that would not be done for a main series game.

All past main series remakes have kept up with the visual and technical standards of their respective generation, and so I would expect the same from a DPPt remake in Generation VIII.

There is no guarantee it will happen since Generation IV -> VIII would be the biggest leap in the technical department yet (even more so than III -> VI), but if they don’t keep up with SwSh they would be failing to meet the standard set by all their past main series remakes.

The problem is that Diamond and Pearl are designed from a 2D framework while Sword and Shield are designed from a 3D framework. Diamond and Pearl would have to be straight-up re-imagined to be put into a 3D framework. It would be really neat to see, but I just don't have faith it will happen.

We can argue all day about how LGP/E aren't "true" main series titles, but the fact of the matter is that they're GameFreak Pokemon games released on the Switch for full price, even though they're not re-imagined into a 3D framework at all. They're also the only instance we have of a Pokemon remake of an old 2D game in the same generation as a Pokemon game made in the 3D framework, and despite that AND being on a new, much more powerful console than the new games of the generation, they still are merely remade into the 2.5D style.

Yes, they are a little different from what we recognize as the mainline series, but that doesn't mean that they aren't indicative of what we might see in some ways for other remakes.

I really want to be wrong, but my faith in GF is extremely low after they released a super conservative GB remake on the Switch for $60.

I just came to the conclusion that I don't want D/P/Pt remakes: I want one major Sinnoh overhaul game for Arceus that gives us more details, lore, quests, locations and characters on the legendaries (ALL of them) and then the option to have Charon take over Team Galactic with his own crew (with special and different outfits) and that will explore one of the three PKMN (Dialga, Palkia and Giratina) and their realms (just like Emerald gave us the choice regarding Lati@s) or have each one of the Adm. to have their crew and each with a goal for one of the three, just like what they had with the lakes (and Charon can then appear to give insight into Rotom!).
I also want for Eterna to have a festival. I think that festivals are one big thing in our daily lifes but namely in Pkmn - they have been showed in the movies and anime - and yet we don't have those as an event that happens from time to time, we had one in Alola but we could't exactly participate and there was nothing out of the extraordinary. I was so happy when I first arrived at Slateport in Sapphire. Just like a certain weather condition happens in Snowpoint and the PkCenter congratulates us for our birthday, I want that from time to time, perhaps linked to the date in which we summon/bring Arceus and stop Team Galactic (to make it more personal), for Eterna to have a festival, whith Gym Leaders, Mom, Prof. Rowan, E4 and new NPC to appear at the festival, celebrate, have new decorations for our bases, and the city to have decoration and cutscenes.
I also want for GF to take responsability and remove or transform the Fuego Ironworks into something environment-friendly as well as Iron Island and promote green energy! :enzap:

Unova didn't. He probably got it confused with a fangame called Pokemon: Solar Light and Lunar Dark, which does have moving vehicles in one city. Said fangame also looks like the Unova games graphics wise and most of the music used is from the Unova games.
No, Isshu had moving trucks: Route 4 and Skyarrow Bridge.

Okay now this is ridiculous. Every other region has a consistent name but not Unova?

Isshu is as far as I can remember the only region that has a Japanese name and a different one for international releases. I prefer Isshu to Unova since I prefer the games to stay away from real-world references, namely american.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom