• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that Diamond and Pearl are designed from a 2D framework while Sword and Shield are designed from a 3D framework. Diamond and Pearl would have to be straight-up re-imagined to be put into a 3D framework. It would be really neat to see, but I just don't have faith it will happen.

We can argue all day about how LGP/E aren't "true" main series titles, but the fact of the matter is that they're GameFreak Pokemon games released on the Switch for full price, even though they're not re-imagined into a 3D framework at all. They're also the only instance we have of a Pokemon remake of an old 2D game in the same generation as a Pokemon game made in the 3D framework, and despite that AND being on a new, much more powerful console than the new games of the generation, they still are merely remade into the 2.5D style.

Yes, they are a little different from what we recognize as the mainline series, but that doesn't mean that they aren't indicative of what we might see in some ways for other remakes.

I really want to be wrong, but my faith in GF is extremely low after they released a super conservative GB remake on the Switch for $60.
I also fear that they would be too conservative with these remakes.

The problem is that Diamond and Pearl are designed from a 2D framework while Sword and Shield are designed from a 3D framework. Diamond and Pearl would have to be straight-up re-imagined to be put into a 3D framework. It would be really neat to see, but I just don't have faith it will happen.

Sword & Shield have been in the planning & development stages since before Sun & Moon were even released. So who knows, maybe the re-imagining of Sinnoh could've begun as early as 2015, when it became apparent that the series would have to transition to 3D in order to fit with the hybrid console nature of the Switch.

If not, I think they will be similar to the Let's Go games, but instead of being an alternate retelling of the old classic specifically aimed at younger kids, it'll take some elements from SwSh (like Camping & Dynamax) and be acknowledged as part of the official main series games. I would be happy enough with something like that TBH, the biggest problem I had with LGPE was that it was a little too "cutesy", and even then I actually liked it more than I thought I would when it was first announced...

And speaking of LGPE, if DP do get remade, one thing I am really hoping for is Trainer Customization - even if it is scaled down to just a handful of different outfits that you carry like in Let's Go, rather than including boutiques. I felt that the exclusion of that was a huge downfall of ORAS, especially given that uploading your Secret Base was such a major part of those games, I would have liked if they had given us a chance to show off our Trainer avatar, rather than just picking from a Trainer model and creating a guessing game with your other Secret Base Trainers as to who the leader is.

Last edited:

We can argue all day about how LGP/E aren't "true" main series titles, but the fact of the matter is that they're GameFreak Pokemon games released on the Switch for full price, even though they're not re-imagined into a 3D framework at all. They're also the only instance we have of a Pokemon remake of an old 2D game in the same generation as a Pokemon game made in the 3D framework, and despite that AND being on a new, much more powerful console than the new games of the generation, they still are merely remade into the 2.5D style.

Yes, they are a little different from what we recognize as the mainline series, but that doesn't mean that they aren't indicative of what we might see in some ways for other remakes.

I really want to be wrong, but my faith in GF is extremely low after they released a super conservative GB remake on the Switch for $60.

Now that I think about it, the entire map needing to be reworked for 3D along with the whole “no national Poke Dex, limited selection of species accessible in one game” are practical concerns that are kinda unprecedented in scale for past remakes.

I do wonder what this means for main series Pokemon remakes going forward. I never considered this before, but could OrAs possibly be the last traditional remakes? Is LGPE setting a new standard? Who knows at this point, I guess.

That all being said, it’s fun to speculate so I’ll still be going off the baseline assumptions I made earlier. Even if there’s no telling how likely it is on a practical level

Game Freak already has the blueprints for Sinnoh, the only challenge really is how it would work in a 3D space. But since they managed to rework Hoenn into a 3D space nicely, I'm confident that they can do it with Sinnoh as well. Imagine a 3D Spear Pillar, how grand would that be?

Maybe we can get a post game made out of that planned thing with arceus and the hall of origins.

Game Freak already has the blueprints for Sinnoh, the only challenge really is how it would work in a 3D space. But since they managed to rework Hoenn into a 3D space nicely, I'm confident that they can do it with Sinnoh as well. Imagine a 3D Spear Pillar, how grand would that be?

Generation VI didn’t really take advantage of being 3D, it still used a grid based map with camera locked into top down view for the most part. Similar to LGPE in fact. If anything I would say Sun Moon was the first fully 3D main series Pokemon game.

But yes, I do want to visit the Hall of Origin and Distortion World in up to date 3D visuals, that should be what DPPt remakes are made for. Just make sure the Distortion World is more than a single corridor, I’m looking at you Ultra Hallwayopolis.

And I don’t care that the Hall of Origin event was never actually distributed in Generation IV, remakes should include it regardless. It’s such a cool event that it would be a shame to pass it up. And meeting the mythical creator of everything ought to have more fanfare than simply having it handed to you by a delivery boy in the Pokemon Center.

I wish they'd include the quests for all of the event legendaries. Not just Arceus, but Shaymin and Darkrai as well. I never got to experience their special cutscenes/events, so I'll be definitely disappointed if they get removed in the remake. Tbh, I'd like to see them become full-fledged quests in the post-game too, with some of the main NPCs also getting involved. I'm certain something like this was suggested on this thread before...

We'd also need a new way to get Manaphy, but I'm assuming it'll just be delivered to you like in the originals. It'd be nice if GF included a callback to Ranger, but I doubt it'll happen.

I wish they'd include the quests for all of the event legendaries. Not just Arceus, but Shaymin and Darkrai as well. I never got to experience their special cutscenes/events, so I'll be definitely disappointed if they get removed in the remake. Tbh, I'd like to see them become full-fledged quests in the post-game too, with some of the main NPCs also getting involved. I'm certain something like this was suggested on this thread before...

We'd also need a new way to get Manaphy, but I'm assuming it'll just be delivered to you like in the originals. It'd be nice if GF included a callback to Ranger, but I doubt it'll happen.

Same here, getting the little events so you can catch the Pokemon yourself makes it all the more special. That is a feature from the original DPPt that should be kept in remakes even if it’s not how event legendaries are handled these days (though SwSh might change that, who knows.)

As I was thinking about how the Generation IV event legendaries might be handled:

• Manaphy had next to no setup in the original DPPt (it did in other Generation III-IV media but that’s another story), so I would expect it get the kind of treatment that Jirachi got in OrAs (nothing). I had an idea where the Manaphy egg could be a post game gift from Aarune, the world wandering Pokémon Ranger introduced in OrAs, but that’s just me.
  • Shaymin and Darkrai are I think relatively likely to be made available without an event since DPPt already have scenarios set up for them in game with Marley’s quest to Route 224 and the nightmare stricken child in Canalave city respectively.
  • I can’t imagine Arceus being available without an event; the games have always been extremely cryptic about it. Outside of its own Poke Dex entries and designated events in Platinum, Heart Gold, and Soul Silver, Arceus is never referenced directly. Cynthia, the Sinnoh myths, the inscriptions on the Plates, even the notes on Type Null’s creation, none of them ever say the name “Arceus”. You thought Mew was elusive, at least the games explicitly acknowledge that Mew exists!

I wonder if the use of Action Replay etc to unlock event content might have put them off using that set up for event Pokémon.

Consoles are sophisticated enough now that they could theoretically add them as more of a DLC patch so that the content is only there if you've genuinely received the event, but I guess could be more hassle than it's worth for them.

One thing they can do with Arceus is something akin to what was done with Deoxys at the Delta Episode. Maybe due to Cyrus's tampering with reality, Arceus grew angry at humanity and started "deleting" the world. This would off course affect the Distortion World as well, so the player would have to help Giratina by either defeating or catching Arceus, but Giratina itself must be caught beforehand.

I think Darkrai might be the one getting Delta Episode Deoxys treatment this time. Also makes sense since weirdly enough it’s counterpart and supposed equal is a legendary and not mythical.

I think Darkrai might be the one getting Delta Episode Deoxys treatment this time. Also makes sense since weirdly enough it’s counterpart and supposed equal is a legendary and not mythical.

I think Darkrai and Cresselia could work as version exclusive legendaries. In fact, if I’m not mistaken that might have been the original plan for them before Darkrai got a dedicated movie. Maybe the Member’s Card can function like the Eon/Infinity Ticket this time around and let you access the opposite version exclusive.

I wonder if the use of Action Replay etc to unlock event content might have put them off using that set up for event Pokémon.

Consoles are sophisticated enough now that they could theoretically add them as more of a DLC patch so that the content is only there if you've genuinely received the event, but I guess could be more hassle than it's worth for them.

I hadn’t considered technical concerns like that affecting how event exclusives are handled, hmm. Then again hackers could get their hands on anything within the game’s coding whether it comes with an event or not, right? Or could it be concerns over content that wasn’t supposed to be revealed until later getting data mined and shared around the world as soon as games are released.

Whatever the case, I think that at this point Arceus is the only Generation IV event exclusive that should stay that way. Not only is having four legendaries unobtainable through normal gameplay a bit excessive, but I doubt Generation VIII will give us a movie starring Darkrai, Shaymin or Manaphy (They did make a Mew movie for FrLg and a Celebi movie for HgSs but did squat for Jirachi or Deoxys come OrAs), so I can’t see a good reason to withhold them anyways.

And with those three, the Regi trio + Regigigas, Heatran, Dialga or Palkia, Giratina, and the Lake trio, Sinnoh would have so many legendaries available in game that I really see no need to include any others.

And I don’t care that the Hall of Origin event was never actually distributed in Generation IV, remakes should include it regardless. It’s such a cool event that it would be a shame to pass it up. And meeting the mythical creator of everything ought to have more fanfare than simply having it handed to you by a delivery boy in the Pokemon Center.
This is Game Freak we're talking about.

I would love for the Arceus event and the Distortion World to be included in the remakes, but since OR/AS completely ignored the additional Emerald content, I wouldn't exactly count on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom