• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will admit OrAs explanations for Mega Evolution in Hoenn were a bit awkward and nonsensical, and not exactly congruent with the context of XY. But that didn’t stop them from implementing it anyway.

What we learn in SwSh might change this, but for now I can sorta see Dynamax in Sinnoh being connected to Giratina, maybe like how Mega Evolution was connected to Rayquaza in Hoenn.
  • Ominous red glow like Giratina
  • Vortex forms that resembles portal to Distortion World
  • Involves distorting space (size) and time (three turns).

I have a feeling that your explanation will be better than theirs...

Remember, they always have the story of "defeated giants" that can be added to the Dynamax lore in Sinnoh.
People thought it is related to the Regis, however they are not considered Giants, only Regigigas is big, so the lore can be changed here to suit the Dynamax lore for Sinnoh.

All the same, GF is known to not care about their lores too much.

I fear that if they do that the games would become Sword & Shield but set in Sinnoh rather than a true Sinnoh remake.
I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion before:
I would much rather want Sinnoh to get the Let's Go treatment because that way it would be more faithful to the originals and not have to be turned into a copy of Galar just to add a new mechanic. I don't think that you guys want to play through Sword & Shield again, just set in a different region.

I don't remember FR/LG Kanto being a Hoenn clone, HG/SS Johto being a Sinnoh clone, and OR/AS Hoenn being a Kalos clone, so why exactly would the Sinnoh region from the yet unannounced remakes be a Galar clone?

And they can always come up with the excuse that it's an alternate universe again. Pokemon continuity between games isn't too consistent anyway, so I'm not expecting consistency with SwSh, either.

I really liked the multiverse aspect of the Team Rainbow Rocket Post game because it put an explanation to all the inconsistencies between generations. I know its a bit of an easy excuse to use these days but I certainly didn't expect Pokémon to use it.

Personally I think there's a good chance of there being a Diamond/Pearl remake at some point but I've got a sneaking suspicion that there will be a direct sequel to Sword/Shield first - I'm assuming something like Pokémon Armour as the title.

In terms of remakes it seems logical to me that they would probably use the dynamax gimmick if they come directly after Sword/Shield like OR/AS added mega evolution but you never know, Game Freak might throw a curveball and use a different burst mechanic or ignore them completely. I also don't think they would shoe horn in a wild area unless they add a new island or something for it, which would most likely reduce the size of the Wild Area to the point of not being worth doing unless there's some decent post game story to add to it. What I'd be more interested in is seeing some new version of the underground, I can't think exactly what it would be but as it was originally developed as a way of using the new wireless connection of the DS it would definitely need to be built around multiplayer functionality but perhaps be usable online as well as locally.

I heard some speculation that Mount Coronet would be the equivalent of the Wild Area for DPPt remakes, which is something I hadn‘t considered but makes sense in a way. If you look at the size and placement of the Wild Area in Galar, it’s a central area to which most of the rest of the region connects, which is roughly how Mount Coronet is in Sinnoh.

Of course, this would mean drastically redesigning the center of the map and merging all routes surrounding Mount Coronet, so I don’t know how likely it is to happen. I guess we’ll get a better idea once SwSh are released and we know the ins and outs of how the Wild Area works.

And if there is a Wild Area equivalent to that in Galar, I can see the Underground getting cut since it serves a similar multiplayer functionality and Secret Bases purpose.

I don’t think we'll get a wild area. Probably the mixture of overworld Pokemon and tall grass like the rest of Galar is. I can see something like the Go Park or the Wild area (modified) in the Safari Zone.

At first I thought the Great Marsh could serve that purpose, but then I realized that the Great Marsh

• Isn’t a central area, is relatively in a corner
  • Is not accessible until later in the game

So it‘s not clear how this could go, at least not with what we know now.

If not a full wild area, they could just expand routes and make a bunch of mini wild areas scattered around Sinnoh or something. Sinnoh has water routes, caves, marshes, forests, and snowy areas that could be expanded for that purpose.

Pal park could also be altered into something resembling a wild area if they wanted, since transferring will probably be done directly from Pokemon Home(?) anyway. It had a bunch of mini biomes in it and was pretty isolated from the rest of Sinnoh anyway, so maybe they could just expand that?

If not a full wild area, they could just expand routes and make a bunch of mini wild areas scattered around Sinnoh or something. Sinnoh has water routes, caves, marshes, forests, and snowy areas that could be expanded for that purpose.

Pal park could also be altered into something resembling a wild area if they wanted, since transferring will probably be done directly from Pokemon Home(?) anyway. It had a bunch of mini biomes in it and was pretty isolated from the rest of Sinnoh anyway, so maybe they could just expand that?

Pal Park seems a bit isolated to be equivalent to a Wild Area, plus it can’t be accessed until at least you get Surf. At the moment I can see Mount Coronet being converted into a Wild Area and the Underground, Great Marsh, and Pal Park areas getting truncated in turn since they would either become redundant or have an obsolete purpose.

But even that‘s likely a stretch. I can’t really see an obvious way to integrate this particular mechanic into Sinnoh, at least not with the knowledge available now.

I couldn't find source to this, but from what Ruffoldrowlit had discovered from a friend, is that there's a Croagunk statue within the main player's house, similar to the one found in Platinum. Could this be like the Tiki statue in Gen 6 for SM, the mention of Rotom being used for PCs in SM,USUM, and the crowns in LGPE for SwSh. That this is another hint from GF for a DP Remake for 2020. Seems most likely with all the evidence we have, especially the merchandising for 2020 being Sinnoh themed.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbCEmlkUzfs

So if previews are anything to go by, the Wild Area is accessible from quite early on in game. Which would lend a little more credence to the idea of Mount Coronet serving as the Wild Area since it would be accessible as early as Oreburgh or Jubilife City, but again who knows at this point.

And between this and the “no national index” thing, I really think the selection of species in the main game should be expanded to at least 300+, the way it was for XY, SM, and since previews are indicating that several species are available on the first few routes alone, SwSh as well. I think it would be simple enough to make species that were previously Swarm, Dual Slot, and Poke Radar encounters in the post game normal encounters in the main game. And preferably update Trainer rosters to reflect this too.

It would mean changing more content than any past main series remake, and it does sound like a lot to ask for, but I feel that any Generation VIII game ought to have everything Generation VIII has to offer. In my opinion it’s more important to stay up to date than to keep true to the originals, why else bother remaking it. How likely it is to happen given the main series’s track record is another story, but that’s just my two cents on the matter.

With the 25th Anniversary in 2021 and I feel that we due for one, I believe that next year will be a gap year, so no Sinnoh remakes. And 2021 will be something Kanto, because Game Freak won't miss that opportunity to bring us even more Kanto.

So the earliest, in my opinion, would be 2022 for Sinnoh remakes. But it might be Gen 9 then due to generations lasting only 3 years.

With the 25th Anniversary in 2021 and I feel that we due for one, I believe that next year will be a gap year, so no Sinnoh remakes. And 2021 will be something Kanto, because Game Freak won't miss that opportunity to bring us even more Kanto.

So the earliest, in my opinion, would be 2022 for Sinnoh remakes. But it might be Gen 9 then due to generations lasting only 3 years.
25th anniversary would be for Let’s Go Johto if anything? Plus this isn’t the GF we once knew that can do gap years, now that the spinoffs are all on mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom