• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’m guessing there won’t be follow up versions to SwSh as their own separate releases, since there‘s no reason the Switch can’t handle that as DLC right? I mean USUM were released as separate games anyway, but there’s even less excuse for that now that we’re on a significantly more powerful console.

I‘m still guessing DPPt remakes are a year or two away at this point, but anything’s possible I suppose.

I've had the feeling that the regular Gen 4 remakes might never come out (or be worked on), mainly due to the disappointing reception to ORAS (inclusion of Gen 6 features, removal of the Battle Frontier). And if they DO come out, it's in the form of a Let's Go game (as far as we all know, the sales of it are hinting a Gen 2-themed sequel).

Not to dig up old topics but every region is meant to resemble a real world place and reference real world things.

Until Gen. V, I always though of PKMN as a reimagination of Japan only and made by Japanese and I was ok with it, but with Gen. V, they started to get inspired in other regions, so I started to not like said references. For example, I think that Isshu was a wasted opportunity to have Lt. Surge background info updated as coming from Isshu, as well as Fantina to be from Kalos in Gen. VI. What's the point of refering to real-world countries when then you have a region based in those?

So I’m guessing there won’t be follow up versions to SwSh as their own separate releases, since there‘s no reason the Switch can’t handle that as DLC right? I mean USUM were released as separate games anyway, but there’s even less excuse for that now that we’re on a significantly more powerful console.

I‘m still guessing DPPt remakes are a year or two away at this point, but anything’s possible I suppose.
Just like there was no need for UMUS and we got it (read: enhanced and paired versions), I believe that if GF and TPC find that it profitable, we'll have follow up versions. DLC have been arounf for a long time and GF had the opportunity to use it but have not done it. LGPE could still be alive with the release of new content (Sevii Islands, etc) by DLC and GF hinted at checking how the games would fare to see if it wold receive extra content and what we got?, a cheap reference/reward in SwSh.
I believe the remakes will come at this same time by next year.

Until Gen. V, I always though of PKMN as a reimagination of Japan only and made by Japanese and I was ok with it, but with Gen. V, they started to get inspired in other regions, so I started to not like said references. For example, I think that Isshu was a wasted opportunity to have Lt. Surge background info updated as coming from Isshu, as well as Fantina to be from Kalos in Gen. VI. What's the point of refering to real-world countries when then you have a region based in those?

I remember an extra at the World Tournament in B2W2 suggesting that Lieutenant Surge was from Unova.

As for Fantina. If I recall correctly her speech was peppered with English phrases in the Japanese version, so they had to change it to another language (French) to keep consistency in the English release I guess.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think they‘ve really referenced real world locations since Generation I or II, note that Kanto is the only region named after a real place.

I remember an extra at the World Tournament in B2W2 suggesting that Lieutenant Surge was from Unova.

As for Fantina. If I recall correctly her speech was peppered with English phrases in the Japanese version, so they had to change it to another language (French) to keep consistency in the English release I guess.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think they‘ve really referenced real world locations since Generation I or II, note that Kanto is the only region named after a real place.
In Japanese, Fantina could be from Galar, whilst in English, some would think she's from Kalos. She could be from both since Galar and Kalos are very close.

disappointing reception to ORAS
ORAS didn't have a dissapointing reception. Aside from the too much water meme, 7.8 isn't a terrible score all things considered, gamestop gave it a 4.5/5, according to Google, 95% of google users liked it, both games got 4.5 stars on amazon, ans Game Informer gave them an 8.75. All in all the critical and fan reception was overwhelmingly positive or at least average.

I have said this before and I'll say it again, Game Freak would be too stupid to do the Sinnoh remake as Let's Go styled. There are two major reasons why this is the case, the first one is that they would only be able to re-use the region for the longest time once. Game Freak obviously tries to squeeze as much money as possible from their games, it is evident due to Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee existing despite already there being a Kanto remake in the form of FireRed and LeafGreen. The second reason is that for a Sinnoh remake to obtain the type of popularity, it cannot be the simplified Let's Go version and that's because Kanto and Johto really are the only two regions popular enough to be able to get popularity for a simplified version. Either way, it's a lose-lose situation if Game Freak goes for a Let's Go style remake for Sinnoh first.

If Generation IV does get remade I want them to take advantage of the fixes and improvements made in Platinum this time. I’m aware OrAs mostly ignored Emerald (which was a mistake), but there‘s a number of reasons why it‘s even more important to do so here:

• Make the selection of species available in the wild and opponent’s rosters during the main game at least as broad as it was in Platinum. DP’s selection was among that game’s greatest flaws, and there’s no good reason to recreate that.
  • Use the esthetic improvements and additions from Platinum since the Switch visuals will require more detail anyway
  • Use the practical improvements such as making Gible accessible first trip to wayward cave as well.
  • Add Looker and Charon/Pluto. Looker has become such an important character in the main series that his debut shouldn‘t be ignored, and Pluto should be at least acknowledged since he’s key to Rotom’s alternate forms. Especially considering that alternate Rotoms have been getting more attention lately in Generation VIII.
  • At this point you might as well use the Platinum script. The only things that will need to change are the climax at Spear Pillar and a few bits of dialogue concerning the cover legendary, everything else is essentially the same. Plus it adds more dialogue, more interactions with Cynthia and Cyrus, and makes the order of the Gyms more linear all of which is closer in line with how the main series tends to be these days anyways.

Add Looker and Charon/Pluto. Looker has become such an important character in the main series that his debut shouldn‘t be ignored, and Pluto should be at least acknowledged since he’s key to Rotom’s alternate forms. Especially considering that alternate Rotoms have been getting more attention lately in Generation VIII.
You know, I was going to say that excluding Charon would be easy since not a lot of people care about him his role in the story was minimal even by Pokémon standards, but his ties to Rotom would make him necessary to be in the game, or at least aknowledged.

Maybe a Platinum-esque Giratina subplot would be the best place to put Charon, assuming they don't just write him out of the game completely. It'd probably give him some bigger purpose in the plot other than just being....there.

Needless to say the alternate Rotom forms shouldn’t be locked behind event distribution this time around, considering they’ve been made available in game ever since. Oh, and make Rotom catchable first time going into the Old Chateau as well (or in other words use the Platinum selection like I’ve been saying).

If they include the Generation VIII Rotomi PC or such features, I’d like some story bits around that in addition.

Maybe a Platinum-esque Giratina subplot would be the best place to put Charon, assuming they don't just write him out of the game completely. It'd probably give him some bigger purpose in the plot other than just being....there.

Originally he did have a role with the Stark Mountain plot, but that’s one addition from Platinum I would not mind being gone in remakes. I feel Heatran is best left as a surprise, and if there’s to be a post game Giratina plot then there is no need for that story anyways.

It might not even be a remake, but something else instead.
No it will be a remake, there's the demand, and also, it is highly due for one.
I’m thinking that we could get a pseudo-remake sequel. Due to the whole multiverse angle and the fact that the Distortion World being outside the flow of time and space, Platinum Cyrus could easily enter the fray to cause some sort of time-space anomaly affecting remake Sinnoh.

I’m thinking that we could get a pseudo-remake sequel. Due to the whole multiverse angle and the fact that the Distortion World being outside the flow of time and space, Platinum Cyrus could easily enter the fray to cause some sort of time-space anomaly affecting remake Sinnoh.
It be interesting to see him back in SwSh with connections to the Dynamax phenomenon, however the true villain in SwSh this time will not be any evil organisation, but instead for the first time a Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom