• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just personal, because I'm not a fan of Gen. VI, aside from Midn. Lycanroc and so I hope no refereces to be made. I also didn't liked what they made with ASOR, namely the Sea Mauville, the tree in Sootopolis and Infinite Energy. I must correct one thing though: Fantina is in Gen. IV games, so if they retconned her nationality to Kalosian, I'd be fine with that.
I honestly find it worse how GF doesn't use their past in-game history elements, for example, in having SS Anne - a "world" cruiser - appear at another port city instead of only appearing in Kanto remakes or being just a model in the Slateport museum.

I will admit the explanation AsOr gave for Mega Evolution/Infinity Energy in Hoenn and attempting to tie it to the context of XY was pretty awkward and nonsensical. I would have rather they said “Mega Stones are meteorites with special powers” and left it at that.

Likewise, if Dynamax is going to be in DPPt remakes I would rather have the explanation be “it’s caused by the Distortion World breaking through to our world” than any attempt to fit it to the context of SwSh.

It‘s already been discussed in this thread, but Fantina’s French phrases in the English version of DPPt were a translation convention not present in the original version. So I don’t think much will come of her being from Kalos. I guess they could say she’s from Galar and remove the French phrases from the English release of the game?

I do want possible remakes to acknowledge connections that have been made to Sinnoh over the years, as a bonus for people who have been keeping up with the series since the original Generation IV games. Nothing intrusive, just inconsequential touches like:
  • An extra in Rowan’s lab having a throwaway line mentioning Sycamore.
  • The Draco Meteor move tutor being Drasna rather than the generic old lady
  • The exposition about the Plates being given by an Ether researcher rather than the generic Hiker

Now this might just be me, but I liked how in SM all returning characters (besides Looker who was never a battler) were possible opponents in the Battle Tree. So doing that here with Jasmine, Drasna, and Faba + the Stat Trainers might be interesting. Plus that way it never encroaches on the main story.

I will admit the explanation AsOr gave for Mega Evolution/Infinity Energy in Hoenn and attempting to tie it to the context of XY was pretty awkward and nonsensical. I would have rather they said “Mega Stones are meteorites with special powers” and left it at that.

Likewise, if Dynamax is going to be in DPPt remakes I would rather have the explanation be “it’s caused by the Distortion World breaking through to our world” than any attempt to fit it to the context of SwSh.

It‘s already been discussed in this thread, but Fantina’s French phrases in the English version of DPPt were a translation convention not present in the original version. So I don’t think much will come of her being from Kalos. I guess they could say she’s from Galar and remove the French phrases from the English release of the game?

I do want possible remakes to acknowledge connections that have been made to Sinnoh over the years, as a bonus for people who have been keeping up with the series since the original Generation IV games. Nothing intrusive, just inconsequential touches like:
  • An extra in Rowan’s lab having a throwaway line mentioning Sycamore.
  • The Draco Meteor move tutor being Drasna rather than the generic old lady
  • The exposition about the Plates being given by an Ether researcher rather than the generic Hiker
Now this might just be me, but I liked how in SM all returning characters (besides Looker who was never a battler) were possible opponents in the Battle Tree. So doing that here with Jasmine, Drasna, and Faba + the Stat Trainers might be interesting. Plus that way it never encroaches on the main story.

I honestly prefer to not having Dynamax at all. I don't like it, just like Megas and just like how it kind of ruined the game to me, it will do the same if included in Sinnoh.
I always forget that Fantina has that language sentences thing. I believe they could do what you're saying.
As for the option you mentioned:
  • the extra in Rowan's lab would be OK;
  • the Draco Meteor could be Drasna but with a little more insight just like the Draconid people had (but without it disappearing);
  • just like Arceus story should be the main focus, Cynthia should be the one giving that insight, after all she's the one following myths (perhaps an Arceus-inspired outfit would be good!)

If that's to be made in the Battleground only, that's fine with me.

I honestly prefer to not having Dynamax at all. I don't like it, just like Megas and just like how it kind of ruined the game to me, it will do the same if included in Sinnoh.

just like Arceus story should be the main focus, Cynthia should be the one giving that insight, after all she's the one following myths (perhaps an Arceus-inspired outfit would be good!)

Anything’s possible at this point, Dynamax may or may not be in the game.

Cynthia already has a bit in Platinum theorizing about the existence of Arceus when you meet her in Celestic Town after beating the game. What I was talking about was this event:

Pokémon Platinum - The Arceus Factor

I think the exposition here could be given to some extras in the Hearthome Cathedral to give that building more of a purpose.

Anything’s possible at this point, Dynamax may or may not be in the game.

Cynthia already has a bit in Platinum theorizing about the existence of Arceus when you meet her in Celestic Town after beating the game. What I was talking about was this event:

Pokémon Platinum - The Arceus Factor

I think the exposition here could be given to some extras in the Hearthome Cathedral to give that building more of a purpose.

I know what event you are talking about, but I still think that Cynthia should do the honors.

Hackers who have undermined SwSh have discovered that there are no Regional Varients/Gigantamax Forms of Sinnoh Pokemon. Few Sinnoh Pokemon are even shown in the dex, indicating more proof that a Gen 4 Remake is coming out in 2020
How is that proof? I want gen 4 remakes as much as everyone but how is that proof?

Kalos and Alola lack new forms, too. Johto and Hoenn only got one line each.

People did use the relatively high Hoenn representation in XY as evidence. It can work both ways and it's iffy at best.

So only 400 Pokemon in the Galar Dex, which is less than some of us expected (I thought there'd be 500-600). I'm very concerned now, I don't think DP remakes are going to be able to fill in the gaps, if they can't even include half the Pokemon in existence in Sword and Shield I don't think Sinnoh is going to be able to pick up the slack. It sounds like either there's going to be a third set of 8th gen games or some Pokemon are going to be left out of 8th gen altogether. Not a good sign.

Hackers who have undermined SwSh have discovered that there are no Regional Varients/Gigantamax Forms of Sinnoh Pokemon. Few Sinnoh Pokemon are even shown in the dex, indicating more proof that a Gen 4 Remake is coming out in 2020
Unless you want to count Mime Jr.

The pretty small degree of overlap between the SwSh and Platinum selections combined with the whole "only programming the regional index into the game" thing makes me wonder about compatibility. I can only assume this means battling and trading between SwSh and a potential GenVIII DPPt remake would be restricted to the handful of species shared between both games, at which point I have to question if they would bother with making the two games compatible at all. And if DPPt remakes aren't compatible with SwSh, I have to wonder whether they would include SwSh's game play features as well.

So for reference, here's all of the Pokemon that didn't make the cut in SwSh:

o8twanv.jpg

Some statistics here:

-488 Pokemon cut in total
-118 of the Pokemon cut are in Platinum's Sinnoh Dex.
-As a consequence of the above two points, the remakes' dex would need to be about 600 to incorporate all of the Pokemon that weren't in SwSh.
-47(DP)49(Pt) of the Pokemon not found in Platinum's Sinnoh Dex were found in the wild through standard encounter methods (that is, Pokemon appearing in tall grass/water/caves without the need for any special mechanics to trigger them) in DPPt's post game areas (there are a few differences in encounters between the two versions, so the counts are different).
-127 of the Pokemon not in the Galar or Platinum Sinnoh Dex are in the Johto Dex (Meltan/Melmetal may also be in the Johto Dex in LG Johto as they were in the LG Kanto Dex).
-119 of the Pokemon of the Pokemon cut are starters, legendaries, or UBs. 26 of these are in the Johto Dex (Meltan/Melmetal may also be in the Johto Dex in LG Johto as they were in the LG Kanto Dex).

So I highly doubt all of these will be in the Sinnoh Dex. If SwSh only came out to 400 with a longer development time, DP remakes probably aren't including the remaining 488. SwSh + DP remakes + LG Johto might stand a better shot, but even that seems to be a stretch especially when LG Johto will probably only stick to the original 251 plus maybe Meltan/Melmeltal. If we do get all 3, I could see them getting away with all three minus the 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th gen starters and legendaries, but that's about it. We're probably looking at 300-400 for the new Sinnoh Dex at this point which would be even less Pokemon than there were in the original DP. The Galar Dex being only 400 really hurts this whole situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom