• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gauging difficulty in Pokémon is very tricky since it's going to be different for everyone depending on their team comp and play style. While I do think there's been an objective decrease in the amount of navigational difficulty (that is to say, surely the Galar Mine is indisputably simpler to traverse than previous caves such as Chargestone Cave or Granite Cave?), the battles themselves are highly dependent on the individual. I thought SwoShi were for the most part pretty easy, but contrary to @RK9, I thought SM/USUM were rather challenging in places. However, contrary to me, my wife had a very rough time getting through Route 6 in Shield, largely because her team didn't have a lot of moves to counter the Pokémon on that route. One of the early SwoShi stream leakers breezed through the game thanks to the Exp. Share, but even with it permanently on in Sword, it didn't make that much of a difference for me, and I stayed on-level almost the entire time (with Leon's team ultimately still being a couple levels above my team and providing a nice challenge).

The games are fine. They are more difficult than XY and SM/USUM (Unless you decide to use the candies but then you only have yourself to blame). Yes they are rushed and lack content, but so do all the games that came out yearly so why blow it up only for SwSh now. (Yes, I realize I will have people swarming me over all the Dexit stuff now and everything else that caused an outrage before SwSh even released.)

Also really hate how everyone brings this stuff as if it are facts while it's still objective, but hey, if you shout and repeat often enough on the internet, surely someone will side with you, right.

Other than the Ultra Necrozma fight, which was really stupid for obvious reasons, I found USUM really easy. Surely doesn't help it's a rehash of SM with just some extra Pokémon and a story bit that's just a rehash of Kyurem but now with aliens.
I've heard Sun and Moon were rushed games, whilst USUM were the games that SM were supposed to be.

Also, I do agree with challenge. Especially Leon who might I add, is up there alongside Cynthia as the strongest Champion in all of the Pokemon games.

Leon & Cynthia.png

Last edited:
Yes they are rushed and lack content, but so do all the games that came out yearly so why blow it up only for SwSh now.
SwSh as a whole feels like it has less content overall than the past few games outside of maybe LGPE. It's also more expensive and on a more powerful system.

Also really hate how everyone brings this stuff as if it are facts while it's still objective, but hey, if you shout and repeat often enough on the internet, surely someone will side with you, right.
Can't you sort of objectively analyze the difficulty by comparing the number of 'mons per trainer or whether or whether important trainers have good IV/EVs or etc.? While it isn't a definitive statement on the difficulty of the game, I'm pretty certain you could at least objectively say that, all things being equal, this game could present less of a challenge. Granted. gens 6-8 might be so similar that this might not really work.

I feel that indicates the opposite, that the lack of Sinnoh Pokémon means we are less likely to see a Sinnoh remake this generation.
Then how can you explain Pokeshopper's findings that there is a huge amount of Sinnoh merchandising scheduled for 2020? Similar thing happened before in 2018 when a huge amount of Kanto merchandising came out before the release of LGPE. No doubt this is paving the way for a Gen 4 Remake for 2020.

Last edited:
the number of 'mons per trainer

Well, even this can mean different things. This is the "throw more bodies at it" approach, which might be "more difficult" by someone's standards, but to someone else (myself in this case), it just makes things more of a slog rather than presenting any meaningful form of challenge. There's pretty much no doubt that my Pokémon can reliably tear through the common NPCs in the game whether they have two Pokémon or five, because I usually have a full and well-balanced team that isn't often going to be outnumbered or caught dealing with something they're not prepared to handle, and as such I get pretty bored racing toward the foregone conclusion by the time that Breeder sends out Pokémon #4, let alone Pokémon #6. Just because there were more Pokémon to beat didn't make it any more rewarding of an experience, because the AI is still just what it is and doesn't employ any real strategy. (Plus, I'm a lot older now and I just understand the game better. Unlike the old days, I know how to set up a sweep now and can shred through a slew of Battle Tower Trainers, even though they are usually more optimized than the AI opponents in the storyline.)

Number of Pokémon would be more significant with boss Trainers like Gym Leaders, but even then, it can still fail to make much of a difference considering that most bosses in Pokémon overspecialize in a single type, giving you a clear weak spot to aim for. Like, Bea has one more Pokémon than Korrina, which she even Dynamaxes - but I don't feel like she was that much more difficult because having a team full of Fighting types presents some obvious exploits. One good Ghost type like Doublade can almost singlehandedly ruin their whole career. (This is why I found Raihan to be such a breath of fresh air. Sure, he wasn't especially likely to beat me because again, well-rounded team and all that, but I didn't sweep him either, because he didn't lock himself into one type, and employed actual field tactics and stat debuffs instead of fixating on STAB.)

So I got bored and decided that I was curious if Cyrus had any Pokemon that could Mega Evolve, even though we're never getting Megas ever again unless they remake XY. As it turns out Cyrus has both a Houdoom and a Gyarados and I think his Houdoom would be the one he would Mega Evolve.

I also got curious and checked to see if other team leaders had Pokemon that could potentially Mega Evolve,

Ghetsis has none, I skipped Lysandre, Lusamine has Lopunny but I don't think she's ever use Mega Evolution.

Guzma has Pinsir and Scizor and I think he would probably use Mega Pinsir, though Golisopod would still be his ace. Rose has no Mega Evolveable Pokemon. Piers can't mega any of his pokemon nor do I think he would ever want to.

So I got bored and decided that I was curious if Cyrus had any Pokemon that could Mega Evolve, even though we're never getting Megas ever again unless they remake XY. As it turns out Cyrus has both a Houdoom and a Gyarados and I think his Houdoom would be the one he would Mega Evolve.

I also got curious and checked to see if other team leaders had Pokemon that could potentially Mega Evolve,

Ghetsis has none, I skipped Lysandre, Lusamine has Lopunny but I don't think she's ever use Mega Evolution.

Guzma has Pinsir and Scizor and I think he would probably use Mega Pinsir, though Golisopod would still be his ace. Rose has no Mega Evolveable Pokemon. Piers can't mega any of his pokemon nor do I think he would ever want to.
Gigantamax Houndoom for Cyrus?

Compared to gen 7, which was challenging at times (Guzma anyone?), this game is definitely dumbed down.
maybe after noticing the recent SWSH criticism (it was very well-acknowledged by Gamefreak, like they mentioned they were pretty down because of it through their tweets) it can actually do something?

Yes they are rushed and lack content, but so do all the games that came out yearly so why blow it up only for SwSh now. (Yes, I realize I will have people swarming me over all the Dexit stuff now and everything else that caused an outrage before SwSh even released.)
They cost 50% more than the previous entries, along with the cost of an online subscription to completely enjoy one of the largest features (the wild area), and removed lots of stuff from the previous entries. And yes, you'll have people swarming you over all the Dexit stuff because that is less content.
That's like me saying that Landorus-T is bad competitively (Yes, I realise that I will have people swarming me all over the overpowered Lando stuff).

Gonna be honest, I had to take a mpment to think about what Landourous-T meant because Landerous was so forgettable.

Gonna be honest, I had to take a mpment to think about what Landourous-T meant because Landerous was so forgettable.
Well, I personally loathe the entire trio myself, but it’s a threatening presence in competitive, and for some reason GameFreak kept giving it more (competitive) bells and whistles till Gen 7 for some reason.

492: Shaymin
493: Zorua
494: Zoroark
495: Tornadus
496: Thundurus
497: Landorus
498: Genosect (Legendary Fossil Pokemon)
499: Victini
500: Arceus

This is how the Sinnoh Dex and the Pokemon count should have ended, making Zorua and Zoroark mythicals and ending it all in a nice round number of 500 (because the number 4 is said to be bad luck for Japan). I understand that Gen 5 was the best Pokemon Gen and where it had peaked for the series with a huge amount of content. Which is the reason to why all the other gens after have become stagnant. The only way Pokemon could've ended is to have it end in Sinnoh with Gen 4 for obvious reasons. I'm not ranting nor complaining, I'm just giving my thoughts. The creator of Powerpuff Girls ended the series whilst it was at it's peak because he didn't want it to become too stagnant later on down the line. Same should've been done for Pokemon with Gen 4, because that way they wouldn't have pushed too much for putting in heart and content for Gen 5. Plus there are other reasons for why end at Gen 4...

1. It explains the origins of the Pokemon universe, and has an evil team that wants to create a new universe. You can't get as higher than that.
2. Pokemon was made for Japan, it wasn't meant for the west such as the US, France and UK. When I look at games since Gen 5, I only see them as a Japanese tourist perspective of the countries they're based on. They don't know a thing about our countries like we don't with their's. Which is why Gen 1 to 4 worked when expressing their own culture, and expressed of why Pokemon worked for Japan.
3. Pokemon started off as a fad at the right time in Japan, during the Lost Decade in the 90s. It was by pure chance that it became popular. But since Gen 2, the franchise had started to decline because that's how fads work. It comes and goes. Just like the Yokai Watch fad in Japan that stole Pokemon's thunder for Gen 6. Game Freak doesn't understand this, and why they will never have something just as if not better than Pokemon.
4: Tobias shouldn't have been made. The Sinnoh League would've been the perfect way for Ash to end his journey. Have him get to the finals, confront and defeat Cynthia and finally become the Pokemon Master. Ending his journey back home in Pallet Town. Wrapping up his story once and for all. If they wanted to create a new game or anime, they could've created a new protagonist and start his journey from there.

These are just examples to how the series could've survived without having it hurt along the way. However, it's no longer the games that are the main focus for the series now, it's the merchandising (Mostly for Japan). And it's because of this that Pokemon has lost touch in what made it Pokemon in the first place.

If we do get Sinnoh remakes, do you guys think that all Pokemon available in SwSh will be compatible? Like I could trade/transfer my Orbeetle to Pearl 2, for example. Is there a possibility that the Pokemon in Galar that are not present in the original games *will* be present in the wild this time around?

This is how the Sinnoh Dex and the Pokemon count should have ended, making Zorua and Zoroark mythicals and ending it all in a nice round number of 500
I disagree. If GameFreak stopped at 500 Pokemon, we would miss out on a lot of great ones that were released later.

This is how the Sinnoh Dex and the Pokemon count should have ended, making Zorua and Zoroark mythicals and ending it all in a nice round number of 500 (because the number 4 is said to be bad luck for Japan). I understand that Gen 5 was the best Pokemon Gen and where it had peaked for the series with a huge amount of content. Which is the reason to why all the other gens after have become stagnant. The only way Pokemon could've ended is to have it end in Sinnoh with Gen 4 for obvious reasons. I'm not ranting nor complaining, I'm just giving my thoughts. The creator of Powerpuff Girls ended the series whilst it was at it's peak because he didn't want it to become too stagnant later on down the line. Same should've been done for Pokemon with Gen 4, because that way they wouldn't have pushed too much for putting in heart and content for Gen 5. Plus there are other reasons for why end at Gen 4...

I'll never understand the line of thinking that goes, "I don't like the direction this thing is going in anymore, so instead of me moving on, everything that's come after whatever point I stopped liking things should never have happened, even though plenty of other people have been able to find lots of things to enjoy since then."

Criticism is one thing, but then there's just vacuously waxing nostalgic and fantasizing about alternate timelines because of the desire for a media franchise to reach some sort of noble (yet highly subjective, ultimately unrealistic, and probably unattainable) "perfect ending." It's very defeatist. Just because you score an A+ on one test doesn't mean that the next time you score a B- is a failure.

If we do get Sinnoh remakes, do you guys think that all Pokemon available in SwSh will be compatible? Like I could trade/transfer my Orbeetle to Pearl 2, for example. Is there a possibility that the Pokemon in Galar that are not present in the original games *will* be present in the wild this time around?

Maybe, but we've got to be careful with these sorts of forecasts now. Previously, everyone figured that the full collection of high-poly models each with their own walk and run cycles and everything meant we were all good and ready to go for future games, and then Dexit happened.

Also, the claim that Pokemon is Japan-only is laughable at best since they got a British artist on the team. Plus, it was only a matter of time before the series started explore regions outside of Japanese-based ones since in reality, life can be found anywhere in the world, even in places you'd think they wouldn't be found in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom