• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, the claim that Pokemon is Japan-only is laughable at best since they got a British artist on the team. Plus, it was only a matter of time before the series started explore regions outside of Japanese-based ones since in reality, life can be found anywhere in the world, even in places you'd think they wouldn't be found in.
But James Turner didn't start working on a main series Pokemon game till Gen 5.

If we do get Sinnoh remakes, do you guys think that all Pokemon available in SwSh will be compatible? Like I could trade/transfer my Orbeetle to Pearl 2, for example. Is there a possibility that the Pokemon in Galar that are not present in the original games *will* be present in the wild this time around?
I think it is highly likely for continuity reasons that Gamefreak include all of the Galar pokemon in Gen 4 remakes if they happen this generation. I think that it would be beneficial to keep focus on Gen 8 pokemon and make sure that they are available either naturally or via transfer for this generation. Especially with the entire regional dex accounting for slightly more than 400 pokemon whereas the total regional dex for Sinnoh (in both DP and Pl) is slightly more than 200, not including national dex. Therefore, there is space to add the about 80 new pokemon + forms in an still have room for whatever other additions, and maintain a rough dex limit of 400. However, I don't think it is guaranteed. I know LGPE were like main series spinoff, but despite being generation 7 games they stuck pretty hard to the Gen I availability of pokemon.

Criticism is one thing, but then there's just vacuously waxing nostalgic and fantasizing about alternate timelines because of the desire for a media franchise to reach some sort of noble (yet highly subjective, ultimately unrealistic, and probably unattainable) "perfect ending." It's very defeatist. Just because you score an A+ on one test doesn't mean that the next time you score a B- is a failure.
Thank you! I sincerely preferred how Pokémon continued, since ending with Gen IV would have been bad in my opinion (since Sinnoh is my third most disliked region and Gen V and VII are my favorite ones). I feel that I might have stopped playing if they ended at that point since there were better things to come in my opinion.

Thank you! I sincerely preferred how Pokémon continued, since ending with Gen IV would have been bad in my opinion (since Sinnoh is my third most disliked region and Gen V and VII are my favorite ones). I feel that I might have stopped playing if they ended at that point since there were better things to come in my opinion.

Regardless of which Gens are my favorite (5 and 6, for what it's worth), the main thing for me is just that I don't see "it should have ended here" as a very meaningful critique. It's aimless nostalgia of the same genus as "ruining one's childhood." I see it in a lot of different franchise circles. But what good is it to fantasize (which is all it can ever be, because we lack any practical capacity for time travel) about nuking everything, both good and bad, after some arbitrary and subjective point rather than moving on to a new interest, or suggesting ideas for how things could have been done differently and how you think they should change going forward? Constructive criticism, not destructive criticism.

Last edited:
So... in other topics... what do you think of my highly improbable stupid theory:

There will never be another Pokemon game with all the pokemon. Except! That all the Pokemon from the previous gens will be transferable to the next gen. To put it in a way that doesn't sound confusing:

Gen 4 remakes come out. Let's call them... Epic Diamond and Awesome Pearl.

All Pokemon from SwSh can be transferred to EDAP. Then gen 9 happens... let's call them Pokemon Republic and Empire.

All Pokemon in SwSh and EDAP can be transferred to RE. Repeat ad infinitum.

So... in other topics... what do you think of my highly improbable stupid theory:

There will never be another Pokemon game with all the pokemon. Except! That all the Pokemon from the previous gens will be transferable to the next gen. To put it in a way that doesn't sound confusing:

Gen 4 remakes come out. Let's call them... Epic Diamond and Awesome Pearl.

All Pokemon from SwSh can be transferred to EDAP. Then gen 9 happens... let's call them Pokemon Republic and Empire.

All Pokemon in SwSh and EDAP can be transferred to RE. Repeat ad infinitum.
I think that within each generation the newest Pokemon will be transferable to the newest game from within generation (SwSh pokes to EDAP). I think they will probably do like they did with SwSh in terms of bringing/allowing a fair portion of new pokemon from the previous generation, but not all of them unfortunately. (RIP my carrot dog)

I think it is highly likely for continuity reasons that Gamefreak include all of the Galar pokemon in Gen 4 remakes if they happen this generation. I think that it would be beneficial to keep focus on Gen 8 pokemon and make sure that they are available either naturally or via transfer for this generation. Especially with the entire regional dex accounting for slightly more than 400 pokemon whereas the total regional dex for Sinnoh (in both DP and Pl) is slightly more than 200, not including national dex. Therefore, there is space to add the about 80 new pokemon + forms in an still have room for whatever other additions, and maintain a rough dex limit of 400. However, I don't think it is guaranteed. I know LGPE were like main series spinoff, but despite being generation 7 games they stuck pretty hard to the Gen I availability of pokemon.
I can only hope that some of the extra Pokémon are all the previous generations starters, and not just Kanto and Alola.

Bright side of Gigantamax in Sinnoh time: Gigantamax iw perfect for Torterra. Like, imagine the Torterra garden scene in Detective Pikachu but with game graphics.

Regardless of which Gens are my favorite (5 and 6, for what it's worth), the main thing for me is just that I don't see "it should have ended here" as a very meaningful critique. It's aimless nostalgia of the same genus as "ruining one's childhood." I see it in a lot of different franchise circles. But what good is it to fantasize (which is all it can ever be, because we lack any practical capacity for time travel) about nuking everything, both good and bad, after some arbitrary and subjective point rather than moving on to a new interest, or suggesting ideas for how things could have been done differently and how you think they should change going forward? Constructive criticism, not destructive criticism.
I guess I should I have explained things in more detail: I do prefer the later Gens because they fixed my big gripes about Gen IV. HMs were downplayed to the point they actually removed them in Gen VII, the games got speedier since I found Gen IV incredibly slow (no, neither Platinum nor HGSS fixed that), and there's nowhere like Stark Mountain in later games.

On the plus side, DPPt were the first games that felt like sequels and improved the games before them to some point, since Cyrus was a superior villain to me compared to Giovanni, Archie or Maxie, some of the "weak" types finally got moves that had 80+ Power, the Physical/Special split was excellent, etc.

I feel that a Gen IV would benefit greatly from the remake treatment, specially since I could finally play Pokémon the way it should have been played from the start: with whatever team you want.

That depends on which of the Galar Pokemon will be suited for Sinnoh. No doubt Sylveon from Kalos will be added to the dex (Gigantamax Eevee and Pikachu also), and because of Mime Jr and Mr Mime, Mr Rime will be in it also. Perhaps having Rolycoly's, Applin's, Sizzlipede's line wouldn't hurt.

As for LGPE, that's different compared to remakes like FRLG, HGSS, ORAS. However, with the way GF doesn't want to interconnect all the regions, they probably have all games self contained to save time.

Last edited:
Predictions for new gym designs:

Oreburgh: Nothing too different, but I have a feeling it will merge with the mine. A more lighter version of Clay's B2W2 gym.
Eterna: Forest Maze.
Veilstone: Yoga class. Fun thing would be that you actually participate in Maylene's yoga class and do all the stretches on the mat (this can be done by either button mashing or actually pointing at the screen) and then battle her.
Pastoria: Wrestling Ring. You have to climb waterfalls to get there.
Hearthome: An enhanced version of the flashlight investigation. Fantina will be waiting on a stage.
Canalave: The gym is closed for some reason so you have to reach the very end of Iron Island (expanded dungeon) to battle Byron. I couldn't think of anything else other than a construction site, but it would be pretty cool if we had to get through an actual dungeon to reach the gym leader.
Snowpoint: A skating/sledding arena. You have to get through a competition first before battling Candice.
Sunyshore: It would be so cool if the gym was a huge lighthouse.

Now that we are talking about Gyms, I wonder if Fantina will be the third or the fifth leader. I would prefer it if she was the third Gym Leader, since I recall having trouble remembering what triggered her battle in Pearl.

Yoga class. Fun thing would be that you actually participate in Maylene's yoga class and do all the stretches on the mat (this can be done by either button mashing or actually pointing at the screen) and then battle her.
I actually really want this now. For some reason.

I do hope they spice up the surroundings of the gyms. ORAS was pretty boring in some of them since there wasn't much in the surroundings. I kind of want to see Crasher Wake's gym be some sort of indoor pool with the walls depicting various Water-type Pokemon. Similarly, I want to see Fantina's gym become more like a play involving creepy things.

I do hope they spice up the surroundings of the gyms. ORAS was pretty boring in some of them since there wasn't much in the surroundings. I kind of want to see Crasher Wake's gym be some sort of indoor pool with the walls depicting various Water-type Pokemon. Similarly, I want to see Fantina's gym become more like a play involving creepy things.
I think it is possible. ORAS changed the gimmick and appearance of the Hoenn gyms, so I feel they would change things up.

I think it is possible. ORAS changed the gimmick and appearance of the Hoenn gyms, so I feel they would change things up.
Most of the Hoenn Gyms were the same as in RS but with some graphical enhancements. Only the Dewford and Mossdeep Gyms got completely new puzzles.

Most of the Sinnoh gyms have pretty good puzzles already, imo. I can't see them radically changing any of the gyms. Maybe Wake's to make it a bit more wrestling themed? No idea.

Gardenia's gym already got remodeled from DP > Pt, but I hope they keep the clock one from Platinum, or at least something like it.

Most of the Sinnoh gyms have pretty good puzzles already, imo. I can't see them radically changing any of the gyms. Maybe Wake's to make it a bit more wrestling themed? No idea.

Gardenia's gym already got remodeled from DP > Pt, but I hope they keep the clock one from Platinum, or at least something like it.
They could do a four seasons theme for Gardenia's gym. Think of something similar to Click Clock Wood in Banjo Kazooie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom