• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that GF will ever make Sinnoh remakes now.
Any new reasons this time?
—————————————

I was expecting 2020 to be a break year or a DLC year as I’ve said in the past. I’m glad GameFreak seems to have removed the mandatory yearly releases. I’m guessing Sinnoh's for 2021, with Gen 9 being the next games. Not sure about Sinnoh getting passes.

Any new reasons this time?
—————————————

I was expecting 2020 to be a break year or a DLC year as I’ve said in the past. I’m glad GameFreak seems to have removed the mandatory yearly releases. I’m guessing Sinnoh's for 2021, with Gen 9 being the next games. Not sure about Sinnoh getting passes.
I don't think that any region except Kanto and Johto would get remakes released in 2021 for them.

I don't think that any region except Kanto and Johto would get remakes released in 2021 for them.
I guess nothing would probably remove your bias on the topic. At least you can halt speculation about the remakes on this thread now if you think they’re not happening.

————————————-

The legendary raid co-op area is Underground. It immediately reminded me of Sinnoh's underground! I guess it gives a boost to the theory of the wild-area like features being adapted Underground in Sinnoh. What do you think?
And with the possibility of expansion passes, I think the Darkrai/Cresselia thing may be the DLC material... The new Regis could be incorporated with Regigigas too.

There's nothing indicating that there never will be a remake. They've remade the games before DPPt (gen 1/2/3) and there's a market for it. If anything, the direct today decreases the odds of there ever being a SwSh third version, not the chance of a remake ever happening.

Aside from that

Secret bases + wild area seems lile it would be really cool, especially if the Underground becomes more than just a plain series of tunnels. Building my base in different biomes and looking around for other players' bases in nooks along cliffs or hidden behind trees would be fun. If they polish the multiplayer aspect of the Wild Area (in terms of the other players seen on the overworld type mmo thing), they can maybe get the flag minigame and the traps in there, too.

No Sinnoh remakes this year. Sorry for everyone who was expecting them.
You were claiming earlier that they wouldn't reveal a new mainline Pokemon game in this direct because 'it's too early/they are still promoting SwSh'. Now you are using this direct as an evidence D/P remakes aren't happening?

If DPPt remakes do occur, do you guys think that DLC will be available for them too? I could see the Sinjoh Ruins, though greatly expanded on, and Platinum elements as possible expansion passes.

If DPPt remakes do occur, do you guys think that DLC will be available for them too? I could see the Sinjoh Ruins, though greatly expanded on, and Platinum elements as possible expansion passes.
That can actually work since they wouldn't be as lackluster as ORAS forever.

I apologize about double-posting, but I took a look at the list of returning Pokemon in the Expansion Pass and the only pure Gen 4 Pokemon included there that's not a legendary is the Garchomp line, really suspicious that Gen 4, in particular, is still lacking a lot of normal Pokemon that's purely their generation. Gen 6 and 7 are kind of expected to have less Pokemon returning considering those two generations introduced less Pokemon.

You were claiming earlier that they wouldn't reveal a new mainline Pokemon game in this direct because 'it's too early/they are still promoting SwSh'. Now you are using this direct as an evidence D/P remakes aren't happening?

They could have announced D/P remakes later this year (April - June period), but this is also not gonna happen, with the current knowledge

The evidence is the Crown of Tundra Expansion pass releasing late 2020. Obviously, Gamefreak is not gonna release another main series game then, since that makes the Expansion Pass absolete.

Agreed that the Expansion Pass means no Sinnoh remakes this year. As is, Game Freak can barely handle doing one version, do you really think they'll be able to handle a new game AND DLC? The Expansion Pass seems to be our new "game" this year for all intents and purposes.

I could definitely see it, DLC could be a great solution to the issues people had with ORAS not having Emerald content and with Game Freak excluding the Battle Frontier because people wouldn't bother playing them. If Game Freak offers the Platinum expansions as DLC they could still provide that extra content while keeping the base game close to DP and accessible for newcomers.

Last edited:
I think that next year will have no new main series Pokemon game either, with the Gen 9 games coming out in 2022.

I think that next year will have no new main series Pokemon game either, with the Gen 9 games coming out in 2022.
I don't see GameFreak making this generation one game because then gen 9 would seem too sudden. We wouldn't be able to get as used to this generation compared to previous ones. Seeing as Ultra/Second versions seem to be out the window judging by the expansion passes, I figure we will get a Sinnoh remake.

Well, looks like the merch was wrong.

2021 is the 25th anniversary, so we may get LG Johto. Looks like Sinnoh remakes sont happen before Gen IX.
And I know it was too early to announce Sinnoh remakes in January, but can GF handle both DLC and a remake?

Next year will be the 15th Anniversary since Pokemon Diamond and Pearl were released in Japan. That's a good reason to remake those games along with the fact that there might possibly still be a big lack of pure Gen 4 Pokemon who are not Legendaries or Mythicals. Remember, there are enough Pokemon from other generations who could easily fill the minimum 200 spots for the Expansion Pass thanks to most of them having evolutions of some kind.

Out of the 107 Gen 4 Pokemon, 61 are non-Legendary, non-Mythical pure Gen 4 Pokemon. At the moment of typing this, there are currently 23 of them that's accessible in Sword and Shield, with the Garchomp line being 3 more of them confirmed. For right now, 38 of them are missing in Sword and Shield, which will go down to at least 35 due to the Garchomp line. That's still a big chunk of Gen 4 Pokemon missing considering there are 107 existing Gen 4 Pokemon. The total amount of Gen 4 Pokemon available in total when the Expansion Pass releases both groups of Pokemon will at least be 72, but this amount might increase over time as more discoveries are made.

Last edited:
Speaking of Pokemon not being accessible, if there's 200 more Pokemon in the Expansion Pass, there's only about 300ish Pokemon not in the game. This would be a lot more reasonable for them to cover in the remakes, so I could now see them including all of the Pokemon in DP remakes that aren't in the Expansion Pass.

Personally I still think Sinnoh remakes are likely to be the next mainline game, there might be a Let's Go Jhoto in early development, but I have a feeling that we'll see Sinnoh again first. I recon DLC counts as this year's main game and remakes released for next Christmas.

For one, I don't think the National Dex will be complete before a new main series game comes out in Gen 8, this is Game Freak we're talking about, they never leave generations with just one pair of games. Part of the reason why they leave part of the Pokedex inaccessible in the first pair of games is so they make the next games within the same generation to complete the Pokedex.

Just had a thought - doing Gen IV remakes next then Let's Go Jhoto could open up a fun nod of having some level of connectivity between the two for the Sinjoh stuff.

Something I hate about this is that it gives ammunition to the haters.

Won't a Johto game attract more nostalgia than a Sinnoh Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom