• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For one, I don't think the National Dex will be complete before a new main series game comes out in Gen 8, this is Game Freak we're talking about, they never leave generations with just one pair of games. Part of the reason why they leave part of the Pokedex inaccessible in the first pair of games is so they make the next games within the same generation to complete the Pokedex.
It's different now because Pokemon games can now have DLC for them.

Well... the same argument could be used to justify Kanto/Johto over literally any remake (even ORAS) so...

I have a suspicion that what is being referred to here is original players specifically not liking Gen 4 (not including the Gen 2 remakes) for a number of reasons, both technical and a change of design philosophy. You see all those Gen 1 (but they really mean 1-3) vs. Gen 4 Pokemon design comparisons a lot, where they take an older Pokemon and a newer Pokemon and switch them around for how they might look if placed in a different year.

I can imagine this pissing off people who have Sinnoh as their favorite region in particular.

You see all those Gen 1 (but they really mean 1-3) vs. Gen 4 Pokemon design comparisons a lot, where they take an older Pokemon and a newer Pokemon and switch them around for how they might look if placed in a different year.
Those seem more targeted at the recent generations though (6+). The complaints with Gen 4 were mostly regarding the cross evolutions not being "good", while the design philosophy complaint is something I’ve seen being more prominent Gen 6 onwards.

Those seem more targeted at the recent generations though (6+). The complaints with Gen 4 were mostly regarding the cross evolutions not being "good",

Oh yeah, I can totally see that sparking controversy. I would personally say it is a mixed bag overall. You get a great one like Weavile, you get an ok one like Honchkrow, and then you get a I-don't-know-what they-were-even-thinking one like Rhyperior. People tend to focus on the bad and ignore the good in everything, so the bad ones stick out more,

I don't think that any region except Kanto and Johto would get remakes released in 2021 for them.

IDK dragging Kanto and Johto out to 2021 seems abit much. I think if there are indeed new games this year (which most likely there will be) Kanto and Johto seems reasonable. Sinnoh would really kill whatever longevity they're trying to inject into SwSh with these DLC expansions.

Well... the same argument could be used to justify Kanto/Johto over literally any remake (even ORAS) so...

But 2021 will be the 25th anniversary.

Also, do people really think another year will make the games better? Won't Game Freak take the lazy route since the games will print money anyways?

Since it was confirmed that there weren't plans for a Let's Go game from the interview last year, it's safe to say that a Let's Go Johto game won't happen before a Gen 4 remake because planning is just the beginning of a development cycle. And with LGPE not even coming out in Pokemon's 20th Anniversary, that's a precedent of Let's Go games not coming out during Pokemon anniversaries. Besides, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl will be 15 years old next year. For being the first main series Pokemon games coming out on the DS which led to Game Freak getting used to developing Pokemon for two-screen gameplay, 2021 is the perfect year to remake them.

Since it was confirmed that there weren't plans for a Let's Go game from the interview last year, it's safe to say that a Let's Go Johto game won't happen before a Gen 4 remake because planning is just the beginning of a development cycle. And with LGPE not even coming out in Pokemon's 20th Anniversary, that's a precedent of Let's Go games not coming out during Pokemon anniversaries. Besides, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl will be 15 years old next year. For being the first main series Pokemon games coming out on the DS which led to Game Freak getting used to developing Pokemon for two-screen gameplay, 2021 is the perfect year to remake them.

Even if they remade Johto, I highly doubt it would be a Let's Go game since those weren't exactly popular...

I highly doubt it would be a Let's Go game since those weren't exactly popular...
I'm pretty certain they are popular enough. LGPE sold pretty well I believe and outside of a small sect of fans it seemed like most people weren't that bothered by the different style. I saw a number of people saying things like "I can't wait for Let's Go Crystal!"

I don't think that they would only want to celebrate DP, especially considering that most of the Sinnoh Pokemon aren't really notable to the general audience.

I don't think that they would only want to celebrate DP, especially considering that most of the Sinnoh Pokemon aren't really notable to the general audience.
Before SwSh was officially announced in February, several videos were released on the official channel titled something like "Visit [region]." The video titled "Visit Sinnoh" got the most views and retweets out of all of them I believe.

I figure Sinnoh Pokemon, and DPPt in general, are well known enough among the general audience.

Before SwSh was officially announced in February, several videos were released on the official channel titled something like "Visit [region]." The video titled "Visit Sinnoh" got the most views and retweets out of all of them I believe.

I figure Sinnoh Pokemon, and DPPt in general, are well known enough among the general audience.
The remake hype is the reason for this.

especially considering that most of the Sinnoh Pokemon aren't really notable to the general audience.
Yeah right, Infernape, Lucario and Grachomp are the most noticeable Pokemon where they are more popular than most Gen 2 Pokemon. Most evolutions of older Pokemon such as Weavile and Electivire have gotten their popularity. Also the fact that Darkrai is a fan favorite Mythical, with Arceus starting to get popularity himself. Not to mention, Giratina being one of the most popular Legendary Pokemon of all time. Bidoof was a popular Pokemon who was used for meme purposes as was Kriketune and Staraptor is also widely known. Besides Infernape, the other Sinnoh starters also have some form of recognition. Rotom is still used for marketing in Gen 8. Let's not forget Mamoswine and how it did well in online battles.

Yeah right, Infernape, Lucario and Grachomp are the most noticeable Pokemon where they are more popular than most Gen 2 Pokemon. Most evolutions of older Pokemon such as Weavile and Electivire have gotten their popularity. Also the fact that Darkrai is a fan favorite Mythical, with Arceus starting to get popularity himself. Not to mention, Giratina being one of the most popular Legendary Pokemon of all time. Bidoof was a popular Pokemon who was used for meme purposes as was Kriketune and Staraptor is also widely known. Besides Infernape, the other Sinnoh starters also have some form of recognition. Rotom is still used for marketing in Gen 8. Let's not forget Mamoswine and how it did well in online battles.
I'm talking about the people who don't usually play Pokemon. There's a reason why they always release new gens for these very important anniversaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom