• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be inconvenient for the player.
GameFreak has included a lot of things that are inconvenient for the player. For example, just look at the current method to obtain Gigantamax Pokemon. Or the 20 years of teambuilding restriction due to HMs.

However, it's still the same thing of Game Freak trying to not force players to buy a subscription service just to obtain Pokemon. If they go against this, what's stopping them from including Mantyke without Remoraid, or Karrablast without Shelmet, and forcing players to buy Pokemon Home just to evolve them?
I don't think this is a slippery slope situation. There's a difference between a Pokemon requiring the presence of another to evolve, and requiring some legendary Pokemon to get another. GameFreak has already included situations like the latter. You need RSE to obtain Regigigas in DPPt. You need the opposite version member of a trio in order to get its trio master in several games including HGSS and USUM. Etcetera.

GameFreak has included a lot of things that are inconvenient for the player. For example, just look at the current method to obtain Gigantamax Pokemon. Or the 20 years of teambuilding restriction due to HMs.

I don't think this is a slippery slope situation. There's a difference between a Pokemon requiring the presence of another to evolve, and requiring some legendary Pokemon to get another. GameFreak has already included situations like the latter. You need RSE to obtain Regigigas in DPPt. You need the opposite version member of a trio in order to get its trio master in several games including HGSS and USUM. Etcetera.
It's different now because of the advent of DLC and the online features now being paywalled.

If you wanna look at it a certain way, if you own DPP and nit RSE but want Regigigas you need to buy RSE. Therefor, paywalled.
It's different because back then online trading was free, as you could easily trade with others who had the Regis. Also, the DS could play GBA games so you didn't need to buy two separate systems.

It's different because back then online trading was free, as you could easily trade with others who had the Regis. Also, the DS could play GBA games so you didn't need to buy two separate systems.
Online was never free in the first place, having internet comes with monthly fees.

It's different now because of the advent of DLC and the online features now being paywalled.
Aren't Accelgor and Escavalier locked behind a paywall now anyways since the they are trade evolutions and version exclusive?

Plus, we are talking about a company who prevented players from trading their Mew in GO to LGPE, making the only way to currently obtain said Pokemon in those games is, to my knowledge, to buy a $50 accessory or trade, which requires you to find someone willing to part with their Mew (which I'm going to assume is unlikely) and/or an online subscription. I don't think GameFreak has any qualms about inconveniencing players or requiring them to pay the company more money than they already do.

Edited

However, it's still the same thing of Game Freak trying to not force players to buy a subscription service just to obtain Pokemon. If they go against this, what's stopping them from including Mantyke without Remoraid, or Karrablast without Shelmet, and forcing players to buy Pokemon Home just to evolve them?
Aren't Accelgor and Escavalier locked behind a paywall now anyways since the they are trade evolutions and version exclusive?

Plus, we are talking about a company who prevented players from trading their Mew in GO to LGPE, making the only way to currently obtain said Pokemon in those games is, to my knowledge, to buy a $50 accessory or trade, which requires you to find someone willing to part with their Mew (which I'm going to assume is unlikely) and/or an online subscription. I don't think GameFreak has any qualms about inconveniencing players or requiring them to pay the company more money than they already do.

Edited
Thank you! I wanted to mention that while reading this thread right now, everyone had apparently forgotten that we had a $50 paywall mythical right when SwSh was announced.

Focusing on the Regis in this regard kinda feels like skipping the headline since the Direct also shows that Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and the lake guardians will be in the Crown Tundra. Surely those would be a bigger problem in terms of preempting DP remakes than the Regis.

(I don't think it actually is a problem, though. These are still just expansions, whereas DP remakes would most likely be full-on games. People would have more reasons to buy them than a couple of Legendary Pokémon.)

Entirety agree, my point was largely that people seemed to be looking for connections where there aren't really any. For all we know there will be a new equivalent of Regigas to go with the new Regis.

Not strictly so, because of local trading/raiding, but obviously that does require you to be physically near a person with the opposite version.

I don't know about you, but I don't believe anything indicates we are getting Sinnoh remakes next. If we can't rely on the merch, on what can we rely?

I mean, if the Sinnoh starters don't get added to the Expansion Pass, there might be a little bit of relief for the remakes. Starter Pokemon are important to marketing for a reason.
Yeah. I think that if the Sinnoh starters are added to Sword & Shield through the Expansion Pass then Sinnoh remakes will become less likely, unless they decide to do it for the sake of making compatibility easier between Sword & Shield and the Sinnoh remakes.

Yeah. I think that if the Sinnoh starters are added to Sword & Shield through the Expansion Pass then Sinnoh remakes will become less likely, unless they decide to do it for the sake of making compatibility easier between Sword & Shield and the Sinnoh remakes.
So basically we don’t know, and thus cannot make meaningful predictions on the basis of whether or not the Sinnoh starters are in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom