• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with your general assessment.
1) an upgrade to the existing game
could be is another Galar game/another round of DLC,
But I'd say that these choices can be ruled out simply because the DLC is already acting as the equivalent of an upgraded game. Another Galar game also seems really unlikely to me since they’re expanding it twice already. They risk fatigue with Galar since people are already paying $90 (assuming they purchased a single version) for the games and the DLC for the "full experience".

I agree with your general assessment.

But I'd say that these choices can be ruled out simply because the DLC is already acting as the equivalent of an upgraded game. Another Galar game also seems really unlikely to me since they’re expanding it twice already. They risk fatigue with Galar since people are already paying $90 (assuming they purchased a single version) for the games and the DLC for the "full experience".

(the "1)" was referring to the existing DLC since the Crown Tundra stuff is likely still being polished; sorry, I should have made that clearer)

But yeah like I said, I think in general they would probably prefer to have a full game release rather than a second wave of DLC, because however successful the DLC is, it still won't compare to a proper release's sales. So if they have the time to make one, there's going to be one.

The only reason I'm entertaining the idea of a second Galar game is because (curveballs) I think there's at least a few ways that they could shake it up if they wanted to - stuff like rotating the Gyms or introducing even more areas based on Ireland or Wales. The idea that the Gym Challenge is annual lends itself nicely to the idea of a sequel, though realistically I think it's clear by now that to GF, "sequel" was just Iwata's clever suggestion for how to do another upgrade, and they don't truly view the concept as any different from the likes of Platinum and USUM. But Sinnoh is the more straightforward option, for sure, especially since its native Pokémon haven't really gotten anything this Gen, whereas a big chunk of the Gen 8 Pokémon already have Gigantamax forms and the like, which limits some options for how to make more Galar stuff seem shiny and new.

True. But that still leaves Regigigas - if we're going to go through ruins to collect Regis and unlock a Regigigas in the Crown Tundra, doing that all over again in DP remakes would feel repetitive. Though I guess maybe the Snowpoint Temple could instead be used for unlocking a new, non-shitty form of Regigigas if one is brought over.

Yeah, certainly Regigigas need to be remade. I hope so. Unique abilities for all Regis would be nice too.

My personal prediction is that there are going to be heavy deviations in plotline and micro-level area design similr to what was done in the FF7 remake. Differences in space and time, to signify a different fate. The games would also have a theme of needing to update old traditions and that the past is gone.

Design wise, this could aslo be a method to weave Giratina into the storyline. Have the player traverse the distortion world several times, earlier than expected.

Well, while we're still waiting....Here's a few things I THINK they should do.
  • Add more Fire types to make up for Sinnoh's lack of Fire types, or maybe add a couple Sinnoh variants and make some Fire typed.
  • Instead of just slapping us in the face and closing the Veilstone Game Corner, turn it into a small arcade with 2 or 3 minigames.
  • Find a fun way to translate the Sinnoh Underground to the switch.
  • Keep events for certain Legendary Pokemon/Mythical Pokemon.
  • Actually give us customization, unlike in ORAS.
  • Keep the Battle Frontier.

Find a fun way to translate the Sinnoh Underground to the switch.

I keep wondering if the Den exploration that’s been shown for the Crown Tundra could be a test for how the underground could be translated for a remake. Obviously it would be nice to have it as something not just rehashed from Sword/Shied but it could be a starting point to build on

Potentially controversial take:
Crown Tundra Spoiler:
with most of the legendary Pokémon being available in Sword and Shield DLC
I think they should allow mythical Pokémon to be obtainable in-game. Make things like the Shaymin, Darkrai, and Arceus side-quests part of the main game instead of locking them behind events. Introduce new ones for the rest of the mythicals. Get rid of the dumb distribution-exclusive concept as a whole.
Of course, i don’t expect this to happen. But I think it would be great.

Honestly, just make older mythical Pokemon catchable without events at all, the fact that older mythical Pokemon is still kept away from newer players until they are distributed honestly makes this worse. The point is to make it so the newer players would encounter them and be surprised at their existence, making them want to catch them even more.

Potentially controversial take:
Crown Tundra Spoiler:
with most of the legendary Pokémon being available in Sword and Shield DLC
I think they should allow mythical Pokémon to be obtainable in-game. Make things like the Shaymin, Darkrai, and Arceus side-quests part of the main game instead of locking them behind events. Introduce new ones for the rest of the mythicals. Get rid of the dumb distribution-exclusive concept as a whole.
Of course, i don’t expect this to happen. But I think it would be great.

Very controversial take, but I like it. It makes them more accessible and a lot more people will be able to meet them without the need to go to a specific location that could be so out of their way in real life. This may even cost some people to miss the event, which is all sad altogether. I quite like it, really.

I think they should just do the mystery gift sort of method they did with the SwSh giveaway with HA Ponyta and the acornballs recently (something like that not sure). Like giving out Oak's Letter for Shaymin during, say, the Spring Equinox! Or maybe the Member Pass for Darkrai during Halloween. This means nobody needs to go out of their way to a location and redeem it or whatnot. It makes it more inclusive!

I wish that Gamefreak would take a page from Renegade Platinum's book and make Dawn/Lucas battleable as a secondary rival as well as allowing the Stat trainers to be battleable before the Survival Area. Also seeing the Elite Four and Frontier Brains out and about Sinnoh before battling them would also be a neat touch. Also please make Jasmine battleable!!!

The Bad Ending is come 2023 Bulbapedia's core series table ends up looking like this lol:

Generation I: Red & Green, Blue (JP), Red & Blue, Yellow
Generation II: Gold & Silver, Crystal
Generation III: Ruby & Sapphire, FireRed & LeafGreen, Emerald
Generation IV: Diamond & Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold & SoulSilver
Generation V: Black & White, Black 2 & White 2
Generation VI: X & Y, Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
Generation VII: Sun & Moon, Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon, Let's Go, Pikachu! & Let's Go, Eevee!
Generation VIII: Sword & Shield (Expansion Pass)
Generation IX: Rise & Fall

There is a part of me that wonders. Starting with Gen 5, I think they have noticeably pared down the releases to two per gen, in order to maintain the "new gen every 3 years" cycle (2010, 2013, 2016, 2019). Let's Go seem to break that trend, but they are far from your typical core series games and I think could possibly be an aberration. And with the DLC being presented as a replacement for enhanced editions, is it... possible, just maybe, that they view it as the only addition that Gen 8 requires? Gen 5 got B2W2. Gen 6 got ORAS. Gen 7 got USUM, and I'm not convinced that they wouldn't have been content to leave it there even if Let's Go hadn't been a thing, because Let's Go isn't compatible with SM/USUM anyway. Maybe SWSH will "get" IOA/CT, and that'll be that.

As I mentioned previously, I already think it's a bit odd and maybe conspicuous to include the Sinnoh Legendaries in the Crown Tundra raids - yes, they could do something to reinvent them in potential Gen 8 Sinnoh remakes, but is that something they're concerned with as much as, say, making them all available for the next VGCs (assuming they aren't canceled)? Plus, a lot of us (myself included) are just assuming that they want to totally undo Dexit by this generation's end, but the reality is, they haven't actually said that. In fact, we know now that the DLC was being planned and developed before SWSH were released. And even though the DLC does bring back many old Pokémon, Masuda and Ohmori were still cagey when asked if they planned to patch the remaining Pokémon back into the games. Now, maybe they were just being cautious about what they said before being ready to formally announce anything, but if they planned to undo Dexit by the end of Gen 8, surely being a little more open and transparent about that would have gone a long way toward assuaging fans' anger? Whereas if they already knew that even SWSH and the DLC combined would still not be enough to fully restore the National Dex, their reticence to confirm anything makes quite a bit of sense.

Furthermore, as far as development resources go, we know how Game Freak like to operate. While core work is being done on the premiere titles for the next generation, a smaller team of younger developers branch off and use existing assets to produce another release of a smaller scope that expands on the current generation's set of ideas and features. The question in my head is, do Game Freak currently have the resources to manage the SWSH DLC, Sinnoh remakes, and Gen 9 development? Let's just say that I'm doubtful, if what we're expecting of a Sinnoh remake is something at SWSH's level of depth and quality as opposed to Let's Go's, unless they plan to slow down their production cycle fairly significantly. Even aside from questions of quality, detail, and polish, Sinnoh remakes would introduce new battle elements that would impact the VGCs of 2022, if the remakes were to release in 2021. But to me, that raises a notable obstacle. Consider the look of this:

2019 - Sword & Shield
2020 - The Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra
2021 - Sinnoh remakes
2022 - Gen 9

Doesn't this seem incredibly release-dense? Especially considering that Game Freak have been releasing major titles every year since 2016, which is an unprecedented development cycle for them. That's a 7-year unbroken chain of production. Surely something has to give at some point? Well, perhaps this could happen instead:

2019 - Sword & Shield
2021 - Sinnoh remakes
2022 - nothing
2023 - Gen 9

I suppose you could swap Sinnoh remakes to 2022 and have 2021 be a break year, though I think it would be very strange these days to drop a new generation game only one year after another core series game. Both ORAS and USUM were given room to breathe in the years of 2015 and 2018 (again, setting Let's Go aside, because it was a unique project, incompatible with Gen 7, and not even present at the VGCs), by which I almost certainly mean that the developers were given room to breathe. Whatever the case may be, this schedule would indicate that the "3-year cycle" has been slowed to some extent, because Gen 9 would no longer be hitting its algorithmic 2022 mark. And I'm not saying that can't happen, but I dunno. I kinda just... don't think I see it, so much as I could see:

2019 - Sword & Shield
2021 - No major release, but a big push for Pokémon Unite as a new competitive arm of the franchise
2022 - Gen 9

idk what the situation with Mythicals is right now though. Traditionally they always been spoiled because their assets were pre-coded into the main release and just "unlocked," so to speak, whenever distributions went live. But Zeraora wasn't coded into SM and Zarude wasn't coded into SWSH, so it seems they have at least wised up to the fact that they don't have to do it the old way anymore. Nevertheless, both Zeraora and Zarude were bundled with larger packages - USUM and The Isle of Armor. The datamine of the DLC doesn't suggest there are any more Mythical Pokémon in the works, so maybe there are Sinnoh remakes being worked on right now whose code includes two or three more Mythicals, but there's really no reason why they would still have to be bundled with larger installments. Zarude may have been so simply out of convenience since it was planned for release roughly around the same time as The Isle of Armor. But I think they could certainly add any further ones into the game via independent patches.

All nitty-gritty speculation aside, I think we should at least consider the possibility that Dexit still is the "policy going forward," and that Gen 8 is planned to receive the DLC as its "enhancement," but nothing further.

The Bad Ending is come 2023 Bulbapedia's core series table ends up looking like this lol:

Generation I: Red & Green, Blue (JP), Red & Blue, Yellow
Generation II: Gold & Silver, Crystal
Generation III: Ruby & Sapphire, FireRed & LeafGreen, Emerald
Generation IV: Diamond & Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold & SoulSilver
Generation V: Black & White, Black 2 & White 2
Generation VI: X & Y, Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
Generation VII: Sun & Moon, Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon, Let's Go, Pikachu! & Let's Go, Eevee!
Generation VIII: Sword & Shield (Expansion Pass)
Generation IX: Rise & Fall

There is a part of me that wonders. Starting with Gen 5, I think they have noticeably pared down the releases to two per gen, in order to maintain the "new gen every 3 years" cycle (2010, 2013, 2016, 2019). Let's Go seem to break that trend, but they are far from your typical core series games and I think could possibly be an aberration. And with the DLC being presented as a replacement for enhanced editions, is it... possible, just maybe, that they view it as the only addition that Gen 8 requires? Gen 5 got B2W2. Gen 6 got ORAS. Gen 7 got USUM, and I'm not convinced that they wouldn't have been content to leave it there even if Let's Go hadn't been a thing, because Let's Go isn't compatible with SM/USUM anyway. Maybe SWSH will "get" IOA/CT, and that'll be that.

As I mentioned previously, I already think it's a bit odd and maybe conspicuous to include the Sinnoh Legendaries in the Crown Tundra raids - yes, they could do something to reinvent them in potential Gen 8 Sinnoh remakes, but is that something they're concerned with as much as, say, making them all available for the next VGCs (assuming they aren't canceled)? Plus, a lot of us (myself included) are just assuming that they want to totally undo Dexit by this generation's end, but the reality is, they haven't actually said that. In fact, we know now that the DLC was being planned and developed before SWSH were released. And even though the DLC does bring back many old Pokémon, Masuda and Ohmori were still cagey when asked if they planned to patch the remaining Pokémon back into the games. Now, maybe they were just being cautious about what they said before being ready to formally announce anything, but if they planned to undo Dexit by the end of Gen 8, surely being a little more open and transparent about that would have gone a long way toward assuaging fans' anger? Whereas if they already knew that even SWSH and the DLC combined would still not be enough to fully restore the National Dex, their reticence to confirm anything makes quite a bit of sense.

Furthermore, as far as development resources go, we know how Game Freak like to operate. While core work is being done on the premiere titles for the next generation, a smaller team of younger developers branch off and use existing assets to produce another release of a smaller scope that expands on the current generation's set of ideas and features. The question in my head is, do Game Freak currently have the resources to manage the SWSH DLC, Sinnoh remakes, and Gen 9 development? Let's just say that I'm doubtful, if what we're expecting of a Sinnoh remake is something at SWSH's level of depth and quality as opposed to Let's Go's, unless they plan to slow down their production cycle fairly significantly. Even aside from questions of quality, detail, and polish, Sinnoh remakes would introduce new battle elements that would impact the VGCs of 2022, if the remakes were to release in 2021. But to me, that raises a notable obstacle. Consider the look of this:

2019 - Sword & Shield
2021 - Sinnoh remakes
2022 - Gen 9

Doesn't this seem incredibly release-dense? Especially considering that Game Freak have been releasing major titles every year since 2016, which is an unprecedented development cycle for them. That's a 7-year unbroken chain of production. Surely something has to give at some point? Well, perhaps this could happen instead:

2019 - Sword & Shield
2021 - Sinnoh remakes
2022 - nothing
2023 - Gen 9

I suppose you could swap Sinnoh remakes to 2022 and have 2021 be a break year, though I think it would be very strange these days to drop a new generation game only one year after another core series game. Both ORAS and USUM were given room to breathe in the years of 2015 and 2018 (again, setting Let's Go aside, because it was a unique project, incompatible with Gen 7, and not even present at the VGCs), by which I almost certainly mean that the developers were given room to breathe. Whatever the case may be, this schedule would indicate that the "3-year cycle" has been slowed to some extent, because Gen 9 would no longer be hitting its algorithmic 2022 mark. And I'm not saying that can't happen, but I dunno. I kinda just... don't think I see it, so much as I could see:

2019 - Sword & Shield
2021 - No major release, but a big push for Pokémon Unite as a new competitive arm of the franchise
2022 - Gen 9

idk what the situation with Mythicals is right now though. Traditionally they always been spoiled because their assets were pre-coded into the main release and just "unlocked," so to speak, whenever distributions went live. But Zeraora wasn't coded into SM and Zarude wasn't coded into SWSH, so it seems they have at least wised up to the fact that they don't have to do it the old way anymore. Nevertheless, both Zeraora and Zarude were bundled with larger packages - USUM and The Isle of Armor. The datamine of the DLC doesn't suggest there are any more Mythical Pokémon in the works, so maybe there are Sinnoh remakes being worked on right now whose code includes two or three more Mythicals, but there's really no reason why they would still have to be bundled with larger installments. Zarude may have been so simply out of convenience since it was planned for release roughly around the same time as The Isle of Armor. But I think they could certainly add any further ones into the game via independent patches.

All nitty-gritty speculation aside, I think we should at least consider the possibility that Dexit still is the "policy going forward," and that Gen 8 is planned to receive the DLC as its "enhancement," but nothing further.
I can see your point, but in that case I have a few questions:
  1. Why are the Legendaries/Mythicals in general seemingly a priority in comparison to many other Pokémon they could have possibly been added back in instead? I can understand bringing back some of the legendaries that can already be transferred up into SwSh and stuff like the old Regis for lore-based reasons, but they cited one of the reasons for Dexit was competitive balance. Adding back the majority of Legendaries/Mythicals actively goes against this reasoning especially when it comes to VGC.
  2. Assuming that the model going forward is Dexit with a few expansion pack editions putting a focus on Legendary Pokémon, do you think TPCi would have the balls to divide Pokémon Home storage into one-way generational transfer like they did with Pokémon Bank? Might they divide it by hardware instead to make it seem a little less greedy than it currently is (for good PR)? Or is it possible that you will only need one Pokémon HOME account/storage space with the Pokémon stored there being allowed into any region they are programmed in with any move conflicts being adjusted? I could understand separate storage spaces if there would be some sort of hardware compatibility issue in the future, but diving it based on generations especially when it comes to Dexit would be a really, really distasteful move considering how this situation is currently viewed.

Why are the Legendaries/Mythicals in general seemingly a priority in comparison to many other Pokémon they could have possibly been added back in instead? I can understand bringing back some of the legendaries that can already be transferred up into SwSh and stuff like the old Regis for lore-based reasons, but they cited one of the reasons for Dexit was competitive balance. Adding back the majority of Legendaries/Mythicals actively goes against this reasoning especially when it comes to VGC.

Strictly speaking, we don't really know what GF's ideal of "balance" is. They created Mega Rayquaza, after all. Hell, this time they created Zacian, who is absolutely busted. For all we know, they think Lando-T and the Tapu running rampant is what a good meta looks like.

Let's take a look at who all is still missing from the games after this year (datamine spoilers for The Crown Tundra ahead):

Weedle family
Pidgey family
Rattata family
Spearow family
Ekans family
Paras family
Venonat family
Mankey family
Bellsprout family
Geodude family
Doduo family
Seel family
Grimer family
Drowzee family
Voltorb family

Chikorita family
Cyndaquil family
Totodile family
Sentret family
Ledyba family
Spinarak family
Mareep family
Hoppip family
Aipom family
Sunkern family
Yanma family
Murkrow family
Misdreavus family
Unown
Girafarig
Pineco family
Gligar family
Snubbull family
Teddiursa family
Slugma family
Houndour family
Phanpy family
Stantler
Smeargle

Poochyena family
Wurmple family
Taillow family
Surskit family
Shroomish family
Slakoth family
Makuhita family
Nosepass family
Skitty family
Meditite family
Plusle
Minun
Volbeat
Illumise
Gulpin family
Numel family
Spoink family
Spinda
Cacnea family
Zangoose
Seviper
Castform
Kecleon
Shuppet family
Tropius
Chingling family
Clamperl family
Luvdisc
Deoxys

Turtwig family
Chimchar family
Piplup family
Starly family
Bidoof family
Kricketot family
Cranidos family
Shieldon family
Burmy family
Pachirisu
Buizel family
Glameow family
Chatot
Carnivine
Finneon family
Phione
Manaphy
Darkrai
Shaymin
Arceus

Snivy family
Tepig family
Oshawott family
Patrat family
Pansage family
Pansear family
Panpour family
Blitzle family
Sewaddle family
Ducklett family
Deerling family
Tynamo family
Meloetta

Chespin family
Fennekin family
Froakie family
Scatterbug family
Litleo family
Flabébé family
Skiddo family
Furfrou
Hoopa

Pikipek family
Yungoos family
Crabrawler family
Oricorio
Minior
Komala
Bruxish

I'm of two minds here. On one end, for the most part, these aren't exactly all-time Hall of Famers. So it's not too hard for me to believe that this is a list of the Pokémon that GF didn't think were worth the time. But then, there are still four whole sets of Starters here, and for me that raises two questions: Would they really leave Starter Pokémon, some of the most popular and recognizable creatures in the entire series, out of a generation? And secondly, what makes the Hoenn Starters so noteworthy that they get to come back in the Crown Tundra? The Kanto Starters made the cut because of course they would, and the Alola Starters at least have the argument of being the most recent aside from Galar. But the Hoenn Starters feel kinda random, unless it's just, like, Ohmori playing favorites toward the games he directed or something. The excluded Mythicals are also noteworthy, with all of Sinnoh's being left out, but the absence of Doexys, Meloetta, and Hoopa in addition nullifies my suspicions somewhat. Maybe they just didn't think Sinnoh's Mythicals would be relevant, and to be fair, two of them are pretty useless.

There's a part of me that almost suspects that they'll get whatever work it is they have to do on these models done as a part of Gen 9 development, and then maybe there will be Sinnoh remakes after that, in lieu of an expansion on the Gen 9 games (which, being their third (fourth, counting the DLC) outing on the Switch, might already start out a little more fleshed out and polished than SWSH, much in the vein of BW in comparison to DP or SM in comparison to XY). I can understand there being complications or deficiencies with the models used for Sun & Moon when moving on to Sword & Shield, because you're moving to a different console, the programming is going to be different, etc., but I'd be surprised if a second generation on the Switch couldn't make use of the Sword & Shield models.

Assuming that the model going forward is Dexit with a few expansion pack editions putting a focus on Legendary Pokémon, do you think TPCi would have the balls to divide Pokémon Home storage into one-way generational transfer like they did with Pokémon Bank? Might they divide it by hardware instead to make it seem a little less greedy than it currently is (for good PR)? Or is it possible that you will only need one Pokémon HOME account/storage space with the Pokémon stored there being allowed into any region they are programmed in with any move conflicts being adjusted? I could understand separate storage spaces if there would be some sort of hardware compatibility issue in the future, but diving it based on generations especially when it comes to Dexit would be a really, really distasteful move considering how this situation is currently viewed.

I can only guess, but personally I don't think Pokémon will ever be able to move from a newer generation back to an older one. Once a generation is over, I don't think they're too concerned with continuing to support it for much longer. I'm not sure I'd attribute it to greed so much as inertia. That's just how it has always worked (obviously aside from Gold & Silver, but that was eons ago), and is a relatively simple and unproblematic routine.

But the Hoenn Starters feel kinda random, unless it's just, like, Ohmori playing favorites toward the games he directed or something.
I suspect it has something to do with the fact that one of Kabu's league cards says he's from Hoenn. Of course, the other two Hoenn starters (the Treecko and Mudkip lines) would logically be included with the Torchic line. So if the Galar Star Tournament updates the rosters of the Gym Leaders with Pokémon available in the Expansion Pass, I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a Blaziken.

Once a generation is over, I don't think they're too concerned with continuing to support it for much longer.

generaly I’d agree with you but I do wonder if part of the way redundant moves have been handled with transferred in Pokémon might be partially tied to allowing Pokémon to be sent backwards on Switch games - a small patch to Sword/Shield containing a list of unusable moves would be a fairly small task given it’s something the game already understands.

Obviously I wouldn’t be surprised if it remains a case of transfer forward only but I can see a slight potential for transfer back this time too.

2019 - Sword & Shield
2021 - Sinnoh remakes
2022 - Gen 9

The Isle and Armor and Crown Tundra isn’t really a main release though. It just seems like Pokémon is trying to aim for an unbroken release and DLC is their solution rather than having a break hear.

They seem to have made the Pokémon IP really dense ever since the release of Pokemon Go. We've never had so many Pokémon releases in such a short time span (if you count the mobile spin offs), so it seems like a corporate conscious decision. There’s so the fact that they probably had to push out Sword and Shield at a deadline, even incurring the cost of Dexit and a considerable PR disaster (even though the sales didn’t get affected much).

Last edited:
What baffles me most is that The Pokémon Company – and therefore Ishihara – seems to be the one who's pushing all those throwaway mobile games that stop being supported one year after their release, yet Ishihara was the very reason why Pokémon x Mystery Dungeon even happened in the first place. His goal seems to have shifted from "a game you could play a thousand times" to "a thousand games you only play once".
(...) Chunsoft and I have had a working relationship ever since we were both involved in a Famicom game called Tetris 2 + Bombliss. One of the main factors that led to the creation of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, however, was the way I felt after playing Torneko no Daibōken. I was really surprised by the depth and quality of that game. Mystery Dungeon games have their roots in old-school RPG titles, the type they often call 'roguelike' games.

At the time, the tagline for the game claimed that it was a "game you could play a thousand times" and I think that I, for one, really did! After I started working on the Pokémon games, therefore, I was always really keen to create a game that would connect Pokémon to the Mystery Dungeon series. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon was the game that arose from that desire.
Source: Iwata Asks for Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
I really don't think having the name "Pokémon" associated with so much microtransaction-fuelled garbage (sorry if this offends anyone, but I think it's an accurate description) is healthy and sustainable for the brand and its legacy.

What baffles me most is that The Pokémon Company – and therefore Ishihara – seems to be the one who's pushing all those throwaway mobile games that stop being supported one year after their release, yet Ishihara was the very reason why Pokémon x Mystery Dungeon even happened in the first place. His goal seems to have shifted from "a game you could play a thousand times" to "a thousand games you only play once".
I really don't think having the name "Pokémon" associated with so much microtransaction-fuelled garbage (sorry if this offends anyone, but I think it's an accurate description) is healthy and sustainable for the brand and its legacy.

Why would they care? It makes them profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom