• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly, that's the only way the Poketch can work now because the Switch lacks dual screens.
The only way to preserve the Poketch in its original form now is to make it a separate physical accessory that you have to buy separately. Otherwise, they would just be putting in the Y-Comm from Sword and Shield.
I think that it is and it would just become a Y-Comm clone if they did that. I would just rather they port over the Y-Comm directly from Sword and Shield.
Take Poketech as it is and relocate it to a small screen which when tapped can be increased in size.
End of argument. And it objectively won’t be a Y-Comm clone. By that logic all entries on the same console would have identical features.

Last edited:
*facepalm* Really guys? So many horrible ideas on how to handle the Poketch being floated around here. No, it probably won't be a hardware peripheral. Game Freak does love selling hardware peripherals, and there may or may not be any peripheral sold with the remakes, but they probably won't make a peripheral for the sake of compensating for hardware differences. Again, we've had regional gadgets without the hardware having a second screen. Neither the GBC nor the GBA had a separate screen, but they implemented the Pokegear and Pokenav just fine. Is it a little less convenient to access without a second screen? Certainly, the second screen is definitely missed. But are they going to throw them out the window just because there's no second screen? No. Again, implementing it like the Y-Comm and just having the Poketch screen running in the corner would work. And no, that wouldn't make it a clone. Just because it's accessed the same way doesn't mean it's the same, if it has different features then it's not a clone.

I think that it's more likely for the Poketch to be revamped as a wheel that is expanded to select apps and then shrinked to a corner or that will only pop out to give notices pertaining certain apps than GF making it an accessory. Hell, they can even launch a Poketch app for mobile phones that can be presented as a companion tool for the game with all the mini-apps in it.
HG/SS had Pkmn following you (a game mechanic) and Let's go had the motion controls, both that can justify peripherals but Poketch? IF, by any chance, it's released one, then it's shows that either it's a cash grab or that the remakes won't have any amazing new/updated feature to bring to the table aside than making an ingame help tool into a peripheral.

I think that it's more likely for the Poketch to be revamped as a wheel that is expanded to select apps and then shrinked to a corner or that will only pop out to give notices pertaining certain apps than GF making it an accessory. Hell, they can even launch a Poketch app for mobile phones that can be presented as a companion tool for the game with all the mini-apps in it.
HG/SS had Pkmn following you (a game mechanic) and Let's go had the motion controls, both that can justify peripherals but Poketch? IF, by any chance, it's released one, then it's shows that either it's a cash grab or that the remakes won't have any amazing new/updated feature to bring to the table aside than making an ingame help tool into a peripheral.
That's more comparable to the Y-Comm than the original Poketch, and if they were going to do that then they should just port over the Y-Comm directly from Sword and Shield.

That's more comparable to the Y-Comm than the original Poketch, and if they were going to do that then they should just port over the Y-Comm directly from Sword and Shield.
They don’t port stuff like this 1:1 between games otherwise secret bases wouldn’t be a thing in ORAS and we’d have a limited feature set.

How is Poketech being on the same screen similar to the Y-comm? They can clearly design interfaces for one screen so it can happen. Boom, no external peripheral needed. I don’t know why a sarcastic idea was taken so seriously.

Going from the fantastic Pokétch to the utterly useless C-Gear, and later from the PokéNav/DexNav to the not only useless, but also incredibly annoying Rotom Dex of Sun and Moon... Biggest downgrades in video game history.

DPPt and ORAS definitely made the best use of the bottom screen, along with HGSS, which displayed the menu at all times and let you register two key items that you can tap on, which was neat. X and Y's bottom screen is good too, but ORAS has more options. I quite liked the Rotom Dex in SM, but they ruined it in USUM by making it talk too much. The C-Gear is pointless if you're playing alone, and it annoys me how it asks you if you want to launch C-Gear communications every time you start up the game (and then if you say "no", it'll ask you if it's OK for some of the C-Gear's functions to be impaired).

While I am excited by the prospect of Sinnoh games on the Switch, it would be strange not having two screens. Diamond and Pearl were the first major Pokemon games on the DS, and the second screen was of one their most exciting new features.

I don't know if this has been discussed, but I think that Team Galactic presents story-wise the best way to have Mega evolution and Ultra beasts present in the Sinnoh remakes, if GF has the courage to make the effort.
Since back in ASOR the Infinity Energy was what was talked about, is connected to mega-evos and after the main story Team Galactic's goal was to produce clean energy, they might be used to continue that lore and give away Mega stones in...Veilstone!
As for Ultra Beasts, Locker is there, time and space were big elements in Sinnoh so in his research perhaps Cyrus found a way to transport to other dimensions.

I don't know if this has been discussed, but I think that Team Galactic presents story-wise the best way to have Mega evolution and Ultra beasts present in the Sinnoh remakes, if GF has the courage to make the effort.
Since back in ASOR the Infinity Energy was what was talked about, is connected to mega-evos and after the main story Team Galactic's goal was to produce clean energy, they might be used to continue that lore and give away Mega stones in...Veilstone!
As for Ultra Beasts, Locker is there, time and space were big elements in Sinnoh so in his research perhaps Cyrus found a way to transport to other dimensions.
Sadly, due to it now being Gen 8, Dynamax will just be shoved into the plot.

Well they did not bring z-moves over to LGPE, and the game keeps highlighting how dmax is possible to do ONLY in Galar. So I wouldn't consider megas returning (without dynamax) out of the table

Not necessarily. Mega Evolution is easy to incorporate into any region, but including Dynamax in Sinnoh would require major changes. They'd have to make the Gyms stadium-sized, completely redesign the Pokemon League, include Pokemon Dens somewhere, and add Power Spots to other significant locations like the Spear Pillar. I can't imagine Game Freak wanting to change Sinnoh this much because in past remakes, they've always been very dedicated to preserving the atmosphere of the originals.

The Dynamax issue actually makes me wonder if we won't get Sinnoh remakes in Gen 8, unless they're a separate entity that can't connect with Sword and Shield.

For Dynamaxing, they can always make the Honey Trees be the exclusive locations for Max Raid Battles and Dynamaxing, it's not like it has to be the center of the plot just because it's the new mechanic. Another thing to keep in mind is that the Distortion World could bring a reason on why it made those trees in particular act like Raid Dens. The lore states that any changes the Distortion World goes through also affect the normal world, the big plot point of Platinum made that clear when Giratina attacked Cyrus because of the meddling with the fabric of time and space.

To be honest, it's quite easy, as Poke Dragon said.

Besides that, the DLC of SwSh sets it up for Sinnoh by
A Vespiquen with the factor
just going around and spread it like bees do. (Could be just that with nothing else, but I find it too convenient that it happens to be that Pokemon.

To be honest, it's quite easy, as Poke Dragon said.

Besides that, the DLC of SwSh sets it up for Sinnoh by
A Vespiquen with the factor
just going around and spread it like bees do. (Could be just that with nothing else, but I find it too convenient that it happens to be that Pokemon.
I don't think that can happen without Eternatus getting involved.

I don't think that can happen without Eternatus getting involved.
If they can 'retcon' Mega Evolution to Rayquaza for Hoenn, they can easily 'retcon' Dynamax Factor with the cloud over Mt. Coronet. (Which looks suspiciously much like the actual Dynamax cloud.)
Plot twist: Giratina and Eternatus are actually BFFs and invented Dynamax together to screw with the human world.

If you want an exact list of the ones they should keep, here's what I would say:
-Digital Clock
-Pedometer
-Friendship Checker
-Dowsing Machine
-Berry Searcher
-Day Care Checker
-Counter
-Marking Map
-Link Searcher (revamped as a PSS/Y-Comm esque online app)
-Move Tester
-Calendar
-Matchup Checker

And then they could add new ones like an IV Judge app.

If you want a digital clock, you can just press the Home button now lol

The Dowsing Machine seems obsolete since they've decided to have "hidden" items sparkle on the ground now.

I think some of the others they could probably just integrate into the PC Box Link, maybe? The IV Judge already is. They could do away with having bespoke NPCs you have to go and talk to in order to evaluate your friendship score and just have it visualized there. (Actually, since they've merged friendship and affection, Camp already does this in some sense, though not to the extent I'd prefer.) Similarly, I think it should be possible to create a "Nursery Checkup Box" within the PC Link that lets you see the Pokémon you currently have placed in a Day Care.

Though I don't see a lot of the more miscellaneous stuff like the Calendar or the Counter coming back since smartphones are ubiquitous now and can do those kinds of things.

What if the Poketch is its own hardware that you have to buy separately, like the pokeball plus? :O

Amusingly cynical as this idea is, I don't really see how it would... you know... work, at least in any way that would be comparable to the original Pokétch.

They'd have to make the Gyms stadium-sized

I mean, not necessarily. The Isle of Armor has a place where you can Dynamax, and it's just an open-air battle court. Just nestle the Gyms in some rocky terrain and have the Gym Leader be waiting for you outside.

(Ooo, ooo, or you could have an elevator take you down into a big, hollowed-out part of the Underground, since it exists underneath the whole of Sinnoh.)

completely redesign the Pokemon League

Surely this would be likely to happen anyway just due to the graphical upgrade?

include Pokemon Dens somewhere

No reason they couldn't dot them throughout the region, though there's also what I always say about putting them in the Underground.

and add Power Spots to other significant locations like the Spear Pillar.

It's as easy as saying, "Hey we're at a Power Spot!"

The Dynamax issue actually makes me wonder if we won't get Sinnoh remakes in Gen 8, unless they're a separate entity that can't connect with Sword and Shield.

Right now, this is kinda what I expect tbh

Last edited:
If you want a digital clock, you can just press the Home button now lol

It'd be quicker and more convenient to have it on screen though.

The Dowsing Machine seems obsolete since they've decided to have "hidden" items sparkle on the ground now.

The problem with the sparkles is that if you don't know where to look, you won't see them. So it really isn't obsolete yet.

I think some of the others they could probably just integrate into the PC Box Link, maybe? The IV Judge already is. They could do away with having bespoke NPCs you have to go and talk to in order to evaluate your friendship score and just have it visualized there. (Actually, since they've merged friendship and affection, Camp already does this in some sense, though not to the extent I'd prefer.) Similarly, I think it should be possible to create a "Nursery Checkup Box" within the PC Link that lets you see the Pokémon you currently have placed in a Day Care.

Again, it would be quicker to have them on screen, in order to reach the boxes you have to bring up the menu, then go to Pokemon, then press R. With a Poketch app it would be on screen/available by pressing Y.

Though I don't see a lot of the more miscellaneous stuff like the Calendar or the Counter coming back since smartphones are ubiquitous now and can do those kinds of things.

The problem with "lol just use smartphones" is that you're going to need to look away from your screen to see them, and constantly diverting your attention like that slows down the gameplay. So unless Nintendo somehow provides a way to sync your smartphone with a future console or something a la Smartglass, that's not really going to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom