• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, the need for new forms (not regional forms) is more aligned with legendaries rather than starters.

Is there really anything wrong with starters just being normal? The Kalos starters didn't have Megas despite being introduced in the same gen as Megas (and not one word about Ash Greninja. That was retroactive.)

Alola and Galar starters got the shiny new gimmick. Kalos starters got outclassed by the Kanto starters in their own region. Also, Hoenn starters got Megas.

Alola and Galar starters got the shiny new gimmick. Kalos starters got outclassed by the Kanto starters in their own region. Also, Hoenn starters got Megas.
And this discounts my point that starters being normal is bad how?

Galar starters didn't even get the fancy new gimmick until DLC came out.

Game Freak just isn't going to end Gen 8 with just one pair of games in total and they need something new next year since DLC for Sw/Sh is basically done completely.

Who says they need anything for next year? The SwSh DLC is comparable to B2W2, ORAS, or USUM in terms of satisfying the secondary release of a generation, and the latter of those two both came out in the year immediately after the release of the base games, just like the DLC is doing. There's probably always going to be a second release in a generation, but there doesn't have to be a third.

If Gen 9 is set for 2022 (three years since SwSh), then that just means that next year is a break year, like 2015.

And to be honest, anything featuring the Kanto region again would cannibalize the sales of Let's Go really badly.

LGPE is a nearly three-year-old game that is quite clearly at the end of its legs. There's not really anything left to "cannibalize."

Is there really anything wrong with starters just being normal?

There's not, it's just that with the power-up mechanics taking a more central focus, it makes sense to have them baked into the Starter so that you're guaranteed to have a Pokémon that can play around with it. (And yet it is interesting that GF gave that role to the Kanto Starters in XY instead of the Kalos Starters, and held off on the Galar Starters' Gigantamax forms until IOA.)

And this discounts my point that starters being normal is bad how?

Galar starters didn't even get the fancy new gimmick until DLC came out.
If your starter doesn't have the gimmick, it will get outclassed. Kalos was made to be Kanto 2.0. Galar starters could still Dynamax before IoA. Gigantamax isn't that different.

To be honest, I mainly use fossil Pokemon as evidence for a Sinnoh remake. At this point, legendary Pokemon shouldn't be used as evidence for or against remakes since they are starting to be included whenever the newest region is concluded, in this case, Galar. Mewtwo and the legendary birds were all catchable in US/UM, despite the fact that Let's Go, a remake coming after also had them.
Let's Go was not on the same system as USUM.

I want Sinnoh Remakes to come next and I think they are. Idk of this is just me personally, but I prefer to catch every Pokémon in each game rather than each generation. TATBs don’t really work either; I mean having the actual physical Pokémon in my PC Box. Being able to get Dialga in both Sword and a Diamond Remake is something I would be grateful for. Sort of like how I really enjoyed the concept of getting both Solgaleo and Cosmog in Sun so I could trade with someone for a Lunala and keep both with no net loss for either of us.

The SwSh DLC is comparable to B2W2, ORAS, or USUM in terms of satisfying the secondary release of a generation
I disagree. I'd argue that the SwSh DLC isn't comparable to entire games in terms of total content, especially with regards to B2W2 and ORAS. It's hard to explain, but the DLC seems akin to extra postgame stuff, which is neat and all but doesn't exactly have the content, gravitational pull, and hype that full new games have in my opinion. Ending gen 8 on IoA and CT would be a disappointing end, methinks, and leave it feeling unfinished. This doesn't exactly prove that DPPt remakes will be coming, but I don't think GameFreak will end this gen with just SwSh and its DLC.

To be honest, I mainly use fossil Pokemon as evidence for a Sinnoh remake. At this point, legendary Pokemon shouldn't be used as evidence for or against remakes since they are starting to be included whenever the newest region is concluded, in this case, Galar. Mewtwo and the legendary birds were all catchable in US/UM, despite the fact that Let's Go, a remake coming after also had them.
wait

All gens after 4 except for 7 added fossils. I guess if one of the existing regions had to have some kind of fossil importance it would be Sinnoh because of the digging stuff, but I still don't see how that would point to Sinnoh specifically, it's too much of a general series trend. We're probably still going to have only Cranidos and Shieldon before getting the national dex anyway if there is a remake.

Also an extremely minor thing that bugged me about gen 4 is how late you get Riolu. Like, I've always wanted to use on in a gen 4 playthrough, but having to wait until right before gym 6 to get one is a pain. Happiny/Togepi aren't bad to raise since they're obtained 2 gyms into the game, but investing time to hatching/raising/befriending Riolu from level 1 when you probably already have a full party is something I'd prefer not to dedicate myself to.

None of the endgame gym leaders are anywhere difficult enough to warrant me raising a Riolu from scratch, and it wouldn't exactly be the most useful when fighting the E4 + Cynthia anyway...

I disagree. I'd argue that the SwSh DLC isn't comparable to entire games in terms of total content, especially with regards to B2W2 and ORAS. It's hard to explain, but the DLC seems akin to extra postgame stuff, which is neat and all but doesn't exactly have the content, gravitational pull, and hype that full new games have in my opinion.

I'm not really talking about how fans individually feel about a paradigm shift toward DLC after having lived a life full of discrete third version releases. From a production standpoint, the developmental investment that goes into the DLC is going to be about the same as went into any prior enhanced editions. If you pretend that the staggered digital rollouts of IOA/CT never happened and that they just released the bundle pack on its own this year, the difference between that and USUM in terms of what it meant for Game Freak to actually do would be negligible.

Ending gen 8 on IoA and CT would be a disappointing end, methinks, and leave it feeling unfinished.

This isn't me leveling an accusation of hypocrisy at you personally, but I can't help but remark that it feels very strange to read this sentiment about DLC-upgraded Galar games after coming across so many lamentations over the years about XY feeling "unfinished" because that gen had remakes instead of a third version.

It seems logical that they would do Diamond/Pearl remakes because they've done the first three gens. They'll also probably include Dynamax/Gigantamax as ORAS did with Mega Evolution.

They'll include Charon and Looker in the games since they would incorporate elements from Platinum into the remakes as ORAS did with Emerald. Also, they'll keep the expanded explanation for Team Galatic's goal from Platinum as well.

An easier method of obtaining Spiritomb, maybe even as simple as placing the Odd Keystone in the Hallowed Tower.

I'm not really talking about how fans individually feel about a paradigm shift toward DLC after having lived a life full of discrete third version releases. From a production standpoint, the developmental investment that goes into the DLC is going to be about the same as went into any prior enhanced editions.
My bad, I thought you were talking more from a player perspective. Then yes, I agree that the production value for making the DLC and enhanced versions is probably about the same.
I wonder how hard will it to be remake a game that uses 2 screens fir a device that uses 1.
If I remember correctly, the second screen was used mostly for the Pokegear and cutscenes. I don't think it would be that difficult to either remove the Pokegear or retool it, and considering GameFreak would be recreating/reimagining every cutscene regardless of how many screens the game used, I don't think that will be a major issue either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom