• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t see any reason for them to regress to chibi-style graphics. Even LGPE was a step up from gen 7. I’d personally rather see the SWSH art style be further perfected.
It would simply make it less nostalgic for older players. Remakes are meant to be about celebrating the past, not looking into the future.

It would simply make it less nostalgic for older players. Remakes are meant to be about celebrating the past, not looking into the future.
Dude, what you're talking about is more like a remaster, otherwise we would't be getting redesigns in other remakes, like the FF ones or Spyro: Reignited Trilogy. Also, notice how most people here have said that they played the originals AND want the same graphics as SwSh.

The chibi style graphics work in 2D because you have to make the most of 2D sprites, and have a discernable face on your character to make them look human, so you make the head bigger.

With advanced 3D graphics there's no such need, really.

An often cited point I see is "ORAS didnt carry over trainer customization". Well, what about the stuff it did carry over, like PSS, Super Training, Amie, Megas, Horde Battles, and the like? Not to mention the drastic changes to characters/narrative. These gen 4 remakes wont be 1:1 remakes either, they will take at least some cues from future games.

Last edited:
Why not improve on the past and make it more inviting for new players? It's not like GameFreak can only cater to the really specific community of Sinnoh purists.

The point of a remake is to upgrade an old game to a newer version of itself so people can enjoy the games for longer. Because there's eventually going to be a generation of Pokemon players who aren't going to know what a DS is, and I doubt they'd want to go back to one after experiencing what modern games have to offer in terms of aesthetics and technology.

Irrelevant to this conversation, but does anyone else kind of want a sixth stat trainer? I think Buck specializes in Pokemon with both high Defense and Special Defense and I always found that super odd in comparison to the other four.

I mean both graphically and artistically, ORAS and HGSS look nothing like their original counterparts and that didn’t detract from their nostalgia factor one bit. Remakes are meant to be a combination of the past and present with new features being used to improve old games. Else they would just be straight up remasters.

It wouldn't really be Sinnoh anymore. It would be a new region with the name Sinnoh. And if so, why not just create a brand new region entirely if you're gonna change so much about Sinnoh?

It wouldn't really be Sinnoh anymore. It would be a new region with the name Sinnoh. And if so, why not just create a brand new region entirely if you're gonna change so much about Sinnoh?
Dude, that's not how it works. At all. Otherwise, remakes would be the original games 1:1 with no changes.

I think you’re being too much of a purist. ORAS is still very firmly and recognizably Hoenn despite having massive graphical and artistic upgrades. The same would apply here. You can make the graphic and artistic jumps without compromising recognizability.

To be completely honest, Sinnoh getting a 3D and HD look with no grid movement and no HMs is actually the kind of remake that we need to get since it will allow the series to implement even more new improvements into an older region. Plus it helps the series to keep moving forward in this aspect.

I don't see gamefreak remaking sinnoh from the ground up to fit their current region style (no grid) but I'll be pleasantly suprised if they do. If we do get D/P remakes next year, I'm expecting them to be something akin to LGPE but with more mechanics from the traditional main series instead of GO mechanics

Now that I think about it, how do you think they will change the Gym rosters? Will they make Fantina the fifth or the third leader? And what changes do you think the Elite Four will go through?

EDIT: Also, since TMs have changed since, what do you think will be the new TM prizes?

Now that I think about it, how do you think they will change the Gym rosters? Will they make Fantina the fifth or the third leader? And what changes do you think the Elite Four will go through?

EDIT: Also, since TMs have changed since, what do you think will be the new TM prizes?
Given that modern Pokemon Games try to be as linear as possible you'd think Fantina would be the third. However, she will probably be the fifth to try and stay close to DP as possible, since GF seems to hate 3rd versions.

There is so much to dissect there. I'd imagine they would keep the updated Elite Four and Gym teams from Platinum, but I kind of liked Flint's weird team from Diamond. Then again, I thought Tate and Liza would have their team from Emerald, so who knows. I will say that it's highly unlikely they will exclude Eevee from the regional dex again, so Volkner, for example, will probably have a Jolteon.

I think there's a good possibility that the TM list will change completely, though a lot of the original TM prizes didn't make much sense like Fantina giving Shadow Claw.

Only Emerald has been ignored so far, and only partially.

Which parts of Emerald weren't ignored? I've honestly forgotten.

Which parts of Emerald weren't ignored? I've honestly forgotten.
Let's see... Rayquaza being involved, the raid in the Mossdeep Space Center, Deoxys's... thingy moving like in the puzzle, Steven talking with Wallace about retiring, the reference to Lucy, the Match Call existing... Those things come to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom