• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're referring to me, I only did that because PokeDragon said it was unfair to include the crossgen evos in my count.

You can see that I originally included them.

Sure, we can do that. And if we go by the regional dex:
Abra line, Magikarp line, Hoothoot line, Wooper line, Wingull line, Azurill line, Remoraid line, Tentacool line, Feebas line, Cleffa line, Pichu line, Ponyta line, Barboach line, Goldeen line, Gastly line, Heracross, Psyduck line, Machop line, Onix line, Swablu line, Scyther line

Lines with a Gen 4 prevo/evo- Mantine, Sneasel, Snorlax, Sudowoodo, Mr. Mime, Ralts line, Lickitung, Happiny line, Tangela, Magnemite line, Togepi line, Snover line, Swinub line, Magby line, Elekid line, Porygon line, Duskull line, Rhyhorn line
Abra, Kadabra, Alakazam, Magikarp, Gyarados, Hoothoot, Noctowl, Wooper, Quagsire, Wingull, Pelipper, Azurill, Marill, Azumarill, Remoraid, Octillery, Tentacool, Tentacruel, Feebas, Milotic, Cleffa, Clefairy, Clefable, Pichu, Pikachu, Raichu, Ponyta, Rapidash, Barboach, Whiscash, Goldeen, Seaking, Gastly, Haunter, Gengar, Heracross, Psyduck, Golduck, Machop, Machoke, Machamp, Onix, Steelix, Swablu, Altaria, Scyther, Scizor

With an evo/prevo-Mantine, Sneasel, Snorlax, Sudowoodo, Mr. Mime, Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir, Lickitung, Chansey, Blissey, Tangela, Magnemite, Magneton, Togepi, Togetic, Snover, Glalie, Swinub, Piloswine, Magby, Magmar, Elekid, Electabuzz, Porygon, Porygon2, Duskull, Dusclops, Rhyhorn, Rhydon,
Zubat line, Unown, Girafarig, Meditite line, Wurmple line, Geodude line, Houndour line, Absol, Tropius

Pokemon with a Gen 4 prevo/evo- Aipom, Chimecho, Murkrow, Misdreavus, Yanma
Zubat, Golbat, Crobat, Unown, Girafarig, Meditite, Medicham, Wurmple, Silkoon, Beautifly, Cascoon, Dustox, Geodude, Graveler, Golem, Houndour, Houndoom, Absol, Tropius

Pokemon with a Gen 4 prevo/evo- Aipom, Chimecho, Murkrow, Misdreavus, Yanma
The difference is pretty striking. 21 unrelated evolutionary families included, 9 excluded. 18 lines with cross-gen evos included, only 5 excluded.

Both scenarios would be strange:
  1. Game Freak left out Shieldon and Cranidos for no reason
  2. Game Freak excluded them so that people will have new Pokemon to find in DP remakes, but they let people catch the DP cover legendaries in SwSh, Pokemon that are going to be featured more in promotion than the fossils.

Combee line, Cherubi line, Shellos line, Drifloon line, Stunky line, Bronzong line, Snover line... none of these are especially popular, either, but they still made their way into SwSh. A lot of them are pretty common types, too, it's not like they needed more Bug/Grass/Water types.

And to be clear, I'm not even saying that I don't think it's impossible that we might get a DP remake as the next mainline game, I'm just saying it doesn't really make sense to think that SwSh was developed to be a compliment to its dex.
Fair enough, like you I don't think the current setup of Sword/Shield Pokémon is really any kind of valid indicator for Gen 4 remakes.

DP, and to an extent Pt's regional dexes were nothing compared to the huge amount of Pokémon you could catch in the postgame (new areas, Pokéradar, Swarm, etc.). Most of the older 3 generations were covered in this way, except for the truly special ones like starters and legendaries and some other lines.

If you look what's missing, it clearly shows a lot of the older generations isn't available in SwSh yet (even if you calculate the percentages, which I haven't done this time):
Gen 1: 34
Gen 2: 44
Gen 3: 46
Gen 4: 39
Gen 5: 30
Gen 6: 20
Gen 7: 11
I haven't included the event mythicals, by the way. Especially generation 2 seems to be underrepresented, with almost half of them not appearing in the current gen 8 setup. Generation 3 and 4 (especially if event mythicals are included) are runner's up in % of excluded Pokémon of their generation.

Again, it's not definitive proof of anything but the fact that gen 4 remakes would potentially close most (if not all) of the dex gaps, seeing how they could include the remaining gen5-7 Pokémon in different ways for endgame content, for example.

Last edited:
(Sorry for the Crown Tundra spoiler, mods! Didn’t even cross my mind. Oops!)

I don’t think anyone has given a good reason for them leaving only the gen 4 fossils out. To me, pointing to what they DID include isn’t a good reason because there’s plenty of explanations for that independent of why they left the fossils out (the cover legendaries are popular and part of the CT promo, other lines that they included in like Combee and Snover work well to flesh out the fauna and character of their areas, etc). Not to mention that Sinnoh remakes would give the legendaries new forms and new signature moves that would separate them from what you can get in SwSh.

Shieldon and Cranidos should’ve been in CT... I can easily see how they could have fit in (but won’t specify more cuz spoilers). It’s just a really big hole to me, with no explanation.

Do we really consider those things spoilers? It's not Avengers Endgame.

Do we really consider those things spoilers? It's not Avengers Endgame.
Yup, we do. Actually, it was one of the biggest surprises I had in the CT.
Spoilers are spoilers. If you have any questions regarding the spoiler policy you are welcome to shoot any of us a message. Thanks!
More on topic, though, I think the prospect of the Sinnoh legends receiving new forms is a good point. Especially when you take into account GameFreak’s unfortunate lack of a propensity for patching in new forms (or even Pokémon) that are introduced mid-generation. You would likely still have to purchase the remakes to gain access to whatever they decide to do with Dialga and Palkia.

The announcement of the Expansion Pass was the 9th of january, do you guys think there's a chance we might see an early announcement again? Or more like the usual date for remakes; around april/may (if I'm not mistaken). Even though Covid might've slowed things down a bit, not sure.

Regarding the subject of marketing, I think we should somewhat expect the same way of marketing as the maingame and its expansion pass; Sporadically, with one big trailer for the announcement and another pre-release. Not an overload like during generation 7.

The announcement of the Expansion Pass was the 9th of january, do you guys think there's a chance we might see an early announcement again? Or more like the usual date for remakes; around april/may (if I'm not mistaken). Even though Covid might've slowed things down a bit, not sure.

Regarding the subject of marketing, I think we should somewhat expect the same way of marketing as the maingame and its expansion pass; Sporadically, with one big trailer for the announcement and another pre-release. Not an overload like during generation 7.

I think the Expansion Pass was revealed early because it was DLC for a recently revealed game. They didn't want to wait too long to reveal that there was DLC coming for SwSh because then people would get bored and put the game down before they knew. Other IPs tend to announce their DLC fairly soon as well IIRC. So I think we can expect an early year announcement of DLC going forward, but not for remakes. Since remakes are entirely new games and they don't need to keep players as engaged in the previous games to get them hyped for it, there's no urgency in announcing them quickly. So I think they'll wait until Q2 like they usually do for remakes. If the marketing is as sporadic as you think it will be, it'd probably be better that way anyway.

In the case of the Sinnoh legends being obtainable in SwSh, I do want to point out:
None of the Sinnoh legendaries were given actual Pokédex entries despite being obtainable.
Maybe not a huge detail, but a significant one to be sure.
Crown Tundra spoiler:
Neither did the Hoenn starters for some weird reason. I was hoping to see interesting new entries for the Mudlip line about how they might be distant relatives of some random Gen 8 Pokemon like the Toxel line, for example, a long shot I know but it would have been sort of interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been thinking lately how I really want the game corner to have some kind of replacement, but seeing as how we didn't get one for ORAS or LGPE, my hopes are really low. The Game Corner music is so good, though, so it would be a shame if it doesn't get remade and used for something. DPPt had my favorite slots in the series because it was the only one where I could consistently make money. Once I figured out how the bonus round with clefairy worked, it was even kind of fun.

I just recently got Honey's League card and it mentions that she wants to sell Max Soup worldwide. This wouldn't really be possible unless Dynamaxing was possible outside of Galar so I think that, in universe, Dynamaxing is not exclusive to Galar. Which is a shame because I would really prefer to have Megas in a Gen IV remake. (but maybe they could do both) If they had planned for G-maxing to be used outside of Galar, they really should have given forms to more than Gen 1 and 8 + Garbodor and Melmetal.

I also find it interesting that she calls up the pokemon league and tries to have a champion from another region come battle you, but no one wants to come and Honey speculates that 'Galar is too far away'. It probably means nothing but maybe they're all too busy with something else. It just seems like a very strange tease to nothing in specific.

Summary? I'd rather not give ad revenue to what looks like Poketuber clickbait.

Done.

I should caution people to interpret everything below as a rumour until a more reliable leaker verifies it through hints or some other means.

Leak 1
  • Sharpened Diamond and Blinding Pearl (what even are these names?)
  • Apparently, Megas are back, and the creation trio get new forms/megas? (this is probably the most believable part of the rumor)
  • Following Pokemon return alongside contests and the underground.
  • Battle Frontier doesn't come back, the villa and that restaurant from Platinum also return.
  • Delta Episode style event with Arceus and Giratina, the leaker seems to be suggesting Arceus is the villain here though since it has an Eternamax like form apparently.
Leak 2
  • A separate leak in the same thread seems to indicate that the games are actually called Temporal Diamond and Spatial Pearl
  • Same timeline as ORAS but uses Platinum Pokedex
  • Mount Coronet is possibly enlarged so that it can serve as a Wild Area.
  • Spiritomb is easier to catch (no Underground shenanigans by the sounds of it).
  • Sinnoh variants of Gen 5-8 Pokemon (this is very unlikely imo)
  • New Gigantamax forms.

Done.

I should caution people to interpret everything below as a rumour until a more reliable leaker verifies it through hints or some other means.

Leak 1
  • Sharpened Diamond and Blinding Pearl (what even are these names?)
  • Apparently, Megas are back, and the creation trio get new forms/megas? (this is probably the most believable part of the rumor)
  • Following Pokemon return alongside contests and the underground.
  • Battle Frontier doesn't come back, the villa and that restaurant from Platinum also return.
  • Delta Episode style event with Arceus and Giratina, the leaker seems to be suggesting Arceus is the villain here though since it has an Eternamax like form apparently.
Leak 2
  • A separate leak in the same thread seems to indicate that the games are actually called Temporal Diamond and Spatial Pearl
  • Same timeline as ORAS but uses Platinum Pokedex
  • Mount Coronet is possibly enlarged so that it can serve as a Wild Area.
  • Spiritomb is easier to catch (no Underground shenanigans by the sounds of it).
  • Sinnoh variants of Gen 5-8 Pokemon (this is very unlikely imo)
  • New Gigantamax forms.

Thanks. Were these leaked by the same leaker, or two separate people because I feel like the new Gignatmax/Megas contradict each other. Also, after looking through the two leaks, one thing stuck out to me for each.
Leak 1
[...]
Apparently, Megas are back, and the creation trio get new forms/megas? (this is probably the most believable part of the rumor)
I'm the opposite, to me, that is one of the less believable parts of the rumor due to how fanservice-y it is and the fact that I'm skeptical of Dynamax only being used in SwSh.
Leak 2
[...]
the games are actually called Temporal Diamond and Spatial Pearl
Considering that these are super popular DPPt names in the fandom from what I've seen, and the fact that as someone else here pointed out--I think it was Esserise--remake names don't really relate to their original version names (while FRLG do have some connection, heart, soul, omega and alpha don't have any connection to gold, silver, ruby, and sapphire respectively), I'm very skeptical.

Here's the actual posts, because that's really all you need from a PokeTuber's video.
1604381382069.png
I can't believe anyone is giving this post the time of day.

Game Freak, over and over and over: We will not be adding all Pokemon in one game anymore.
1000IQ 4Chan posters: Game Freak is adding all Pokemon in one game

They're porting Gen 6 and 7 and remaking Gen 4, but doing nothing about Gen 3 and 5? Sure.

New Pokemon Snap is getting released summer 2021? Somebody better tell Amazon that, because you can currently pre-order it from them, and they say it'll be released December 31 2021. Same goes for GameStop. I'll grant that the official Nintendo site still says "TBD", so I don't think this confirms 12/31/21 as the release date, either, but I doubt a retailer is going to get the release date off by six months if a release date had been set.

I also love this fantasy world they live in where Game Freak's vision for remakes up till now continues to fit nicely into pairs (FireRed and LeafGreen after Red and Green, HeartGold and SoulSilver, AlphaSapphire and OmegaRuby), but now everyone at Game Freak has suffered a concussion so they're like "uh.... uh... Sharpened and Blinding?" Like, they couldn't even do "Sharpened and Polished", just two adjectives that do not go together.

And why would this person know both the release dates and pricing of games as well as their gameplay and planned events?

And notice how not a single piece of information here is an original idea. DP remakes, release dates for announced games, returning features- absolutely nothing is original. Any fan could come up with this.

I don't think there's a single line here that doesn't piss me off, so props for that, at least.

Fake number 2:
1604382646187.png
1604386235747.png
"My girlfriend shared confidential information with me so I'm gonna give away her position and ruin her career"

"Game Freak wants money, so they're going to bundle several games together instead of selling them separately"

"New Pokemon Snap had a trailer that was focused on visual displays, but actually, they're not done with the graphics"

"Game Freak, which regularly distributes legendaries all the time, is worried about rare Pokemon Farming for some reason". My set of four Coballions begs to differ.

"I'll lie to cause mystery but I'll definitely tell you where my girlfriend works"

"2021 is marketed as the 25th anniversary of Pokemon" yes because it is five years after the 20th anniversary, that is how time works.

"You can transfer your Pokemon to other games" holy shit this hasn't been done since Pokemon Home, and that wasn't done since Pokemon Bank, and that wasn't done since the Poke Transfer, and that wasn't done since Pal Park.

"Will use the Platinum Dex but will also have Pokemon introduced after Gen 4" so, not the Platinum dex, then, also why would an advertiser know every single Pokemon in a game

"We're throwing in Paul from the anime, even though we didn't include any elements of Yellow in FRLG, and we didn't include the GS Ball in HGSS, and we didn't include Max in ORAS, or any other anime elements, but yeah, we'll totally write Barry out of this one"

"My girlfriend is so important that she works on advertising for the anniversary, New Pokemon Snap, game ports, a collection of games, and DP remakes, and can confirm that a Let's Go Johto doesn't exist, and she told me all this confidential information because she just does not care about losing her job at all I guess"

Hey, since leak season is apparently starting up and we're going to have to hear PokeTubers pretend that losers on 4Chan* are worth listening to, let me offer up some tips for spotting fakes (with some examples):
*in the sense that they tell obvious lies- I know we've had legit leaks from 4Chan, of course
  1. People risk their jobs when they leak. They do not want to be identified.
    1. There's a point of distancing where people can be a little more open. PixelPar, who leaked stuff about LGPE, had some general gaming position (I think advertising?) and not something specific to Pokemon, so he didn't have as much of a risk. CentroLeaks, as far as I can tell, datamined the games (hence the high-quality model rips that they memed to reveal, outstanding move), so they might not even have a job in the gaming industry to begin with.
    2. Anyone remember Piuk? The guy who gave specifically what translation team he was on and what scripts he was working on and turned out to be a total liar? Yeah.
    3. Some guy came up with a whole fake day at work, giving what time he ate lunch and when he went to the bathroom.
  2. People are taking a risk. They're not going to put their job on the line to confirm low-ball information that can already be guessed, or to confirm something that'll be shared the next day.
    1. Just last May, there was a fake DLC "leak" being discussed that promised amazing reveals like "that Pokemon that looks like the Regis with electric limbs is an Electric-type" and "Terrain Pulse is like Weather Ball, but for terrains".
  3. Sometimes, a post might have information you can actually fact check. Go for it! It won't prove a post is real (after all, they have access to the same fact-checking you do), but it can help you prove if something is fake.
    1. In the leak season leading up to SwSh, someone edited some fake emails. This absolute genius didn't bother to check a calendar, and so the emails asked for a deadline of "Wednesday, February 24th", despite the fact that Feb 24th was a Sunday that year.
  4. Fake leakers aren't an upstanding sort, and they're not at all above stealing someone's fanart and trying to pass it off as a leak. Reverse image search is your friend, and if someone's edited an image to make it harder to reverse search, try googling a description of it and see what comes up.
    1. RuffledRowlit once made a video analyzing "leaked art of the new professor", completely oblivious to the fact that it was Brenda from Pokemon Duel. (This wasn't even stolen fanart, just obscure canon art)
  5. "Leaker" is not a job. People work on different elements of a game, and on different games altogether. Advertisers might know some elements of the game, since they're going to be showcasing it, but they shouldn't know everything about it, and people who code the game will know about planned deadlines, but they have no reason to know about an advertising schedule. If someone is so important that they actually have a lot of information about the release dates and plot and Pokemon and the like, they're probably not going to want to leak about it because they're in a higher position that makes a lot of money.
    1. Check out the "Sword and Shield 2" fake rumor in the Repository Thread, which promised to know about all the Pokemon, a secret conspiracy from Game Freak to make the dex cut an artificial issue for PR points (somehow), and the sequels' release date.
  6. "Sometimes people throw in fake info to keep you guessing/so they don't get in trouble" is just used so that fake rumors don't die when part of them is disproven, because it gets PokeTubers more clicks and the liars want more attention on their rumors. We've seen leakers play games before, yes, with the Riddler and PixelPar's sticky notes, and we've seen leakers get stuff wrong, like Affleak forgetting that there was a Fairy gym leader before Opal, but there's nobody making up fake Pokemon or anything like that. And you're not exempt from violating an NDA because you included a lie with it, that's just common sense.
It's not the end-all decider- it's possible there's a leaker who identifies themselves, lies about part of their leak, gets an obvious fact wrong, steals art to show an example, etc. But these are usually pretty good guesses.

(And yes, I'm taking crummy 4Chan posts a little seriously, but in my defense, people believing obviously fake 4Chan posts is a legit problem for my country politically, so it'd be nice to have a tiny win)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
“Porting” 3DS games to Switch is enough to right off any supposed leak to me. It’s possible but would frankly require so much work that I don’t think it would be worth it without being a remaster at the very least if not a remake so what would be the point?

If they really are ports with minimal changes to sort 2 screen issue then no ones paying $40 for them.

both of those scream utter bs

New Pokemon Snap is getting released summer 2021? Somebody better tell Amazon that, because you can currently pre-order it from them, and they say it'll be released December 31 2021. Same goes for GameStop. I'll grant that the official Nintendo site still says "TBD", so I don't think this confirms 12/31/21 as the release date, either, but I doubt a retailer is going to get the release date off by six months if a release date had been set.
December 31st is a traditional placeholder date that means nothing. Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga also had December 31st (albeit, 2020 not 2021) as its placeholder release date on most retailers before it was officially revealed to be coming in spring 2021.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Any rumor that says they are porting double-screen Pokemon games to the Switch is automatically considered a fake to me. So much would have to be reworked to fit it all into one screen without looking cramped.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom